July 25, 2014 | 1532 users online

Mascara - Yves Saint Laurent - Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by RomanXI

I don't know what it is about YSL product that do not work with me.
I tried this mascara also with high hopes but was sorely disappointing. Packaging from YSL is always very nice, but the product let them down.

When I first opened the product and took the wand it it was CLUMPED with mascara, all the fibers were sticking together, the mascara seems quite thick consistency.
I wiped the wand thinking maybe it was because it was the first time opening. I put it in again and seen it clumped up again, I wiped most of it off and best as I could and decided to try it anyway.

First off the smell, is bizarre - it's quite strong and citrus-y? It doesn't smell of mascara in the slightest, like lemons or limes or a strong stale air freshener. The smell alone will irritate your eyes. Once I put it on my eyelashes caked together just like the wand fibers, they were all stuck together with the mascara. I had about 6 "eyelashes" in total because they all stuck together. It makes your eyelashes unbelievably dry, spider like and very matte.

You literally can't separate your eyelashes due to the consistency, and my eyes did become irritated from the smell. The actual mascara in the tube also dried up very very quickly after opening, although it had been closed properly. I'm not sure what YSL have put in it.

Wouldn't purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2013 4:23:00 AM More reviews by 21beans

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my HG mascara. Gives beautiful definition, volume and colour to lashes and a real dreamy/sultry look to my eyes (for lack of a better description). I use this at night or for special occasions due to the price. As others have mentioned, it dries out quite quickly but warming the tube seems to revive it somewhat.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2013 8:21:00 PM More reviews by dbc202

I did not buy this mascara my mom just put it in my room in the box and said here have it so ever since I have used it. I went to check the price online and if I hadn't owned it I would not buy it I'm sorry but $30 is crazy for a mascara especially one that isn't fully packaged. It came in a box with the mascara... Anyways the mascara works very well on my lashes and I think they give it a nice look but I think you could get a cheaper mascara that works just as well or better. So in conclusion I give this mascara a 4/5 and no to repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 4:42:00 AM More reviews by Groenwol

Really lengthens my lashes immensely. Love the non-mascara smell, and obviously the very luxurious packaging!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by sssilvia

I am 50 years old and I've already bought many different mascaras during my life, but that one is one of them that definitely I would never buy again. I use to buy MAC and Lancome that never disappoint me as YSL. When I've bought it the saleswoman said that my Lashes will be bigger and curve than I've never seen before. Well, I tried to put many layers and nothing happened. I was so disappointed that I wanted to trow it away far from my eyes.
I am back to my MAC False Lashes Volume and Curl Mascara. Now I am happy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by beautykrazy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is one of my favourite mascaras. I bought YSL Faux Cils about 15 years ago and though I liked it, it dried out really fast and I felt very disappointed considering the price. Vowed never to throw money away like that again. So it took courage to try this again, especially as I felt my L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black couldn't be beat. Whatever YSL have done to Faux Cils since I bought it years ago has really done wonders and impressed me so much. I LOVE this mascara! I will buy Faux Cils when I can afford to splurge and then enjoy L'oreal Voluminous CB when I can't. Comparing the two - there's not much between them, except the YSL is perhaps a bit silkier and the packaging is so much more luxurious and pretty.
Faux Cils has a stunning heavy, luxe, shiny gold tube that just feels like a million dollars. Call me shallow and easily swayed but I luv it lol...It has a strong floral scent which I could do without if I'm honest, it's a bit too much. The results for me are phenomenal - Faux Cils lives up to it's name as it's the one and only time anyones' ever asked me if I was wearing false lashes when wearing this mascara.
It gives me the dream lashes I'm looking for, and my lashes are bad let me tell you. I get my perfect blend of length, volume, deep black colour and drama. For those who want drama and impact even in the day, this is great. No smudging problems for me. It gets better as it dries out a little (as most mascaras do), but I haven't found this one to dry out quickly at all. It's an easy to use, no-nonsense, bells or whistles traditional mascara. But very gorgeous to use!
Totally beautiful, wonderful, love it - completely recommend!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2013 11:07:00 AM More reviews by finch96

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Meh. I got this as a sample size tube just to try out, as I am always on the hunt for a newer and more fabulous mascara (who isn't?). The brush was fine; I didn't find it difficult to work with, and it didn't stab me in the eyeball (I have issues with silicone brushes, so I prefer the traditional style brush), two things I appreciated right off the bat. The color is a very deeply saturated black, again, something I appreciate. Wimpy black mascaras are not my personal preference; I like my mascara to pack a punch. This mascara certainly delivers in that department. The formula is also lovely, in that it doesn't clump and is very very smooth and easy to add multiple coats if needed.

Now for the downsides. I don't have what I would call giant "Bambi" lashes, but my lashes most certainly aren't sparse, either. They do need some help in the volume arena, though, and I always look for a mascara that is more volumizing than lengthening, if I have to choose between the two. This mascara did a nice job of making my lashes look longer, but didn't do a whole lot (nothing, in truth) in the volume department. My lashes were black and unclumped, but sorely lacking in the volume I craved. Also, even with my beloved Lancome primer underneath, which usually makes ANY mascara bullet proof, I found that this mascara had the tendency to smear slightly. In my book, that's an automatic "you're outta here" for mascara. I am a busy mom of 2 very active boys, and a nurse....I sweat sometimes, okay? I can't have mascara that can't hold up to my lifestyle. The day I wore this mascara to work, one of the doctors told me I looked unusually tired. It was because my mascara had started to smudge and give me little raccoon eyes! It was only noon, 5 hours into a 12 hour shift. FAIL.

Overall, it's a nice formula, and it's a nice color, but it doesn't do a whole lot for my lashes as far as enhancement goes, other than making them blacker. I'm glad I got a sample first, because I would be sorely disappointed if I had spent the money for a full size tube of this. Obviously it's working out for some other people here, but it definitely did not work out for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2013 8:28:00 PM More reviews by Sari7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This mascara separates very nicely but does not curl. I have tried different mascaras and this one is not one I would buy. For the same price I recommend Chanel or Armani.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by vhisko

I got this as a deluxe sample from sephora. I don't like it by itself, because it makes my eyelashes look clumped. It do, however, like it very much over Clinique's high impact mascara. The two together give me amazing lashes!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 12:54:00 PM More reviews by PSS07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my HG mascara makes my very short lashes lengthened and volumised. When I wear it people often comment and ask which mascara I'm wearing.

I agree with other reviews that this dries out quickly, but for me just as it starts to dry out is when I get the best results... & when it starts to clump suddenly the mascara takes on a new lease of life.

I've been using this for over 15 years and have tried many other brands of mascara from drugstore to high end and for me nothing has beaten it yet <3

My only complaint at £23.50 for a mascara its expensive, but as I always have one of these in my makeup bag. The results I get justify the price.