October 25, 2014 | 1447 users online

Shampoo - Redken - Color Extend Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2013 1:02:00 PM More reviews by Superbeckyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Since my red and purple hair fades more than any other colour (typical) I was on the lookout for a product that would at least help the colour stop fading quite so fast - sadly there's no magic shampoo that'll keep your hair bright forever.
I came across this product whilst scouring the internet for reviews and Redken's seemed promising. Costing around 11 from salons, this formula claims to protect against UV and fading whilst conditioning with cranberry oil and strengthening the hair. The first few times I used it I was skeptical - I had to use a lot of the expensive product to create a lather, no hint of cranberry and it didn't make my hair feel squeaky clean like most shampoos, but it didn't feel quite so straw-like and dry as most shampoos do either. I use it with Aussie's Colour Mate conditioner which helps to keep my hair soft without too much colour loss.
However over time my colour isn't as faded - instead of rushing to my hairdresser every 2-3 months for colour I could happily wait out 4 months or more until returning. I wash my hair 1-2 times a week - the reds in my hair are still quite bold 3 months later but of course not as much as the first few weeks after colouring. Like with most of my hair products I rotate this and use conditioning shampoos and treatments for the weeks leading up to my next colour appointment so my hair is in top condition before dyeing.
11 isn't cheap for shampoo and you do have to use a lot of product to create a decent lather, but the time test shows this does what it claims! I'd recommend this product to anyone with red or bright unnatural hair to make their colour last longer.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2013 2:18:00 AM More reviews by martstuff

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

They changed the formulation on this a few years ago. Now the 'cranberry oil' is more predominant and is very smelly!!! Way too strong for my sensitive nose. It gives me migranes. The original formula I loved! Please get rid of that horrible smell, and I will buy again!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/5/2013 6:58:00 PM More reviews by smooch0000

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I literally just came onto makeupalley to review this. I have both this and the conditioner and let me tell you, they are awful. I purchased the litre sizes as well unfortunately... I purchased them because the colour my stylist uses is Redken Shades so I thought this would help keep my hair from fading as it states. It definitely doesn't help extend the colour at all. If anything, it makes my scalp itch like crazy, I've been getting really bad dandruff, it leaves a disgusting greasy film on my hair and it makes my hair frizz like crazy! For reference I have thick coarse wavy hair so maybe I should have picked something else, but all in all if you're looking for this to do as it says, it did not keep my hair colour any longer than any other shampoo has.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 3:58:00 AM More reviews by sleon308

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the best shampoo I have used for my color treated hair. I'm a brunette and it definitely extends the life of my color. I have been going to the hair salon for touch ups less often over the last year since I began to use it. I love it because it smells delicious and it's sulfate free so it's super good for your hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2013 9:40:00 AM More reviews by Fitouesumwe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a lot of fine hair ans they are chemically treated.
I use semi-permanent hair colors and this is the shampoo I use to make the coloration last +/- 6 weeks. Looooove the smell. Can easily spent 2-3 days betweeen each shampoo. Look for the promo kit(shampoo + conditioner) during holliday period and save 30-40%

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2012 10:47:00 PM More reviews by linet182

I just recently started using this shampoo after hearing about it for years. I am absolutely in love with it. it smells incredible, it leaves my hair very soft. The price is a bit steep, however I think it is completely worth it. this is your hair we're talking about, it's okay to splurge a little. I dye my hair black and the color fades pretty quickly this shampoo actually helps me keep the color a bit longer, which is great. I completely recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2012 7:57:00 PM More reviews by sheen1987

I have always been a fan of Redken products. This is the worst line they've ever had. It made my scalp very itchy and gave me bumps. Horrible!!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2012 5:31:00 PM More reviews by reneecg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

i like the shampoo but it dried out my hair

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2012 1:18:00 PM More reviews by HRenfrewgrl

The worst from the Redken line in my opinion. I was using the Clear Moisture line but I started to dye my hair so I started using this. This gave me an allergic reaction which cause my eyes to get puffy. I stopped using both the shampoo and conditioner the a puffiness and itchiness on my eyes went away. And it doesn't smell good either.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2012 7:47:00 PM More reviews by Julie722

I love this shampoo. I have used drugstore shampoos all my life, and first colored my hair last summer (which I immediately regretted). I used a drugstore, cheap brand shampoo and conditioner for colored hair up until this summer, when my cousin introduced me to color extend. I will never go back to using drugstore shampoos again - this shampoo and conditioner leave my hair feeling silky all of the time. I have extremely thin hair, and this shampoo does not weigh it down. On the contrary, I can actually go more than a day without washing my hair now because it doesn't look like a vat of grease was dumped on it in the morning . . . gross, but unfortunately my hair is so thin it gets weighed down very easily. I have been happily using this shampoo for almost two months and would recommend it to anyone with color treated hair.