MAC Satin - Club

4.4

on 10/28/2012 2:37:00 PM

Like many girls, I had a hard time to make this eyeshadow work.
Club is officially described as "a red brown with a green shimmer". I would say, the colour is more complex when you look at it, like brown, green and blue mixed toghether. It sparkles and looks different depending on the way you wear it.
I swatched it on my hand and was sold. Such a pretty colour.
But - and thereīs a huge but here- it was hard for me to wear it like I wanted it to wear: Shimmery with all the greenish-blueish-shimmer really coming out!
All I got first was a reddish-brown colour and I canīt really wear warm-toned shadows, so I looked horrible.
But I figured out, what to do to bring out the real beautiful complex colour of this eyeshadow.
First, I used it wet as an eyeliner and it really rocks. Being more flattering than black liner, glamorous with the shimmery colour and at the same time subtle enough to wear in daytime.
A bit more tricky was the use as an actual eyeshadow.
Thereīs no use in slather it on your lids without a good base like a MAC paint pot.
I use a paint pot in ochre as a base and then pat it on with an eyeshadow brush. No stroking or wiping the colour over the lid. If the colour gets a little reddish where I blend, I put a little of copperplate eyeshadow on and blend it well. This avoids the gruelsome reddish brown, which makes me look like I cried myself to sleep.
I use mostly greys with this shadow to make the colour look more cool-toned.
Sometimes, I use it wet as an eyeshadow, with just a tiny bit of water to create a thick paste, that I pat on my lids. But again, this only works with a good base like a paint pot.
Depending on how dark you want it to be, you can also put a middle or dark toned eyeshadow like copperplate, typographic or carbon over the paint pot first and then add club.
Or use blackground as paint pot if you want a more colourful, shimmery smokey eye.
I can say, that I love this colour now that I found out how to use it.
Itīs not the easiest colour from MAC, but love it all the same.

on 10/22/2012 2:23:00 PM

This is my favorite eyeshadow to create a smokey eye. It can be difficult to make the color show up on the lid without having to build it up for thirty minutes :) So, I have found club works best while using a slightly damp 239. Club on the lid, kid to transition, and vanilla to highlight -- AMAZING for green eyes! Check out my blog for pictures and swatches:

http://eyeshadowaa.blogspot.com/ continued >>

on 10/15/2012 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I need to get this shadow again. I swapped it before I learned all the awesome stuff you could do with it, and I'm sad. I loved how it looked with my brown eyes; the green offset the gold flecks I had around my iris, but I thought I had a dupe that did the same. I didn't know all of the colors/effects you could pull off with it until I watched some YouTube videos featuring it. If you have it, keep it!

on 9/19/2012 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

This and woodwinked were my two first MAC eyeshadows and they are still my favorites eyeshadows EVER. Super versatile & applies nicely w/ a flat brush.

This duochrome appears a little scary because the blue/green shimmer looks so strong in the pan, but when I apply it to my NW35 lids w/o a base it actually just appears as a medium/dark warm brown & the duochrome effect is extremely small bordering on non-existent, which is great for dinners out. HOWEVER when placed over my quite natural paint pot duochrome just POPS & is awesome for a night out!

I like to put the paint pot just on my lid and then put club all the way up through my crease and blend it out and it looks like i have put tons of effort into my shadow when it really took 5 minutes.

i use it with love connection(the lighter side) for an everyday look.
i put this over a black base and it is a beautiful green.
Put this over a teal base and this looks brownish teal. (it doesnt cover up the base very well).
Very blendable but i dont like how it looks blended :/

on 8/28/2012 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Club is a multi-faceted color. It looks brown, green, blue and purple. in the pan. I purchased it because I love Mac pigment in blue brown, but could not find it anywhere. When I first swiped this on I was disappointed because it just looked dark without any excitement and I had to use my imagination to see the different colors.

Then one day I inadvertently swiped it over black eyeliner and magic happened. All the duochrome and flash and glam appeared on my eyelid. When I move in and out of different light the greens turn to blue and blue turns to purple, etc.

There is fallout so I would use with a wet brush or over a black base...eyeliner or paint.

on 8/10/2012 4:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

It's a very nice shadow, original & all but it looked hideous on me. I usually look good in all browns/greens but not in his one. I am brown eyes, black fair & fair/pale skinned.

Can't say I'll ever pay $15 for an eyeshadow again.

on 8/10/2012 12:43:00 AM

This is by no means a unique color (every mid end brand has their own version of it), but I have tried almost all of them and this this is by far my favorite. It is a beautiful brown with greenish blue duochrome. It is very smooth and silky with minimal fallout. It is so versatile and looks good with almost any other colors. I can see it looking beautiful on almost any eye color, too.

on 6/27/2012 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Can I say pretty? This was an unexpected and delightful discovery! I'm a neutral eyeshadow girl in my old(er) age, but I am always drawn to fancy, fun colors. This eyeshadow was next to a neutral color that I was checking out, while doing a color match. I swatched this on my finger because I was so curious about what it would look like out of the pan. It is like eyeshadow magic.

I probably don't do this eyeshadow justice, but I put it on my eyelid below my natural crease. It is such an interesting color, but still appropriate and comfortable for someone who likes neutrals. You can definitely build this eyeshadow for a dramatic look or sheer it out like I do for every day use.

Hope you get a chance to check this eyeshadow out and I hope you love it as much as I do! :)

on 6/26/2012 11:10:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Love this eye shadow! It is more of a brown with green flecks that show up when you turn in the light but it's extremely subtle so it's good for day or night. I personally think the pigmentation is good. It's a duochrome so it looks good with many different eye shadows. I like to pair it with other browns. I've tried it before with the blue brown pigment and it looked good. I also like to use Benefit's tattle tale on my lower lid with mulch on top of that and then club in the crease and upper lid area. Makes a great smokey eye as well. Club really makes my brown eyes look amazing. I will definitely repurchase if I ever run out.