October 2, 2014 | 1091 users online

Body Scrubs - LUSH - Buffy the Backside Slayer

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by FirstCircle

I purchased this product with hopes that it would decrease the severity of my keratosis pilaris. I've had very severe keratosis pilaris on the back of my upper arms for years, and a much milder version around my calves/knees. After trying coconut oil for a while (which softened my skin a little but did nothing for the redness), I went to Lush to pick up a bar of Buffy.

My first impressions were that it had an odd smell- like a combination of coconut oil and strong lavender (among other things). The bar didn't smell terrible, but I wouldn't want it as an air freshener either. While the size I got was small, I'd read other reviews saying that it lasts quite a while and I should get my money's worth. Plus I didn't want to be stuck with an huge odd smelling yellow lump that did nothing for my skin. I was offered a $3 tin box to hold the bar, but decided that there were no real advantages to the tin. Also as a general warning- this product WILL melt in hot temperatures, so I don't advise you have it shipped out to you in the middle of summer or if you live near the equator.

The first time I used it, it was everything I thought (and read) it'd be. Very abrasive, smelly and oily at the same time. I hadn't thought it'd be possible that once applied to my skin, the smell would worsen--and not to mention the fact that it lingers for quite a while afterwards. It also melted a little while I using it in the shower, despite the fact that I wasn't using it under direct water contact. I also learned after a couple times that you need to rinse it off very very thoroughly after its application so you don't end up feeling like a stick of earthy-smelling butter after you get out of the shower.

It is indeed, very hydrating for my skin. The rough, dry patches behind my ankles were banished and now feel nice and smooth. Unfortunately, the high hopes for my upper arms were misplaced. While my arms feel slightly smoother, the red bumps are still quite evident. That being said, I've only used the bar for 2-3 weeks now. But sadly with a smell like that, I don't have much patience.

I probably won't buy it again just because I'm sure there's better ways to hydrate my skin without feeling like I've been dipped in Vaseline. To be fair it did its job, but it's by no means the miracle product that everyone claims it is (for me anyways). I don't even mind the abrasiveness since I've been exfoliating for years with other abrasive products, however there isn't much here to keep me interested. continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/11/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by 1432

I think this product is great but can be quite abrasive. The price is ok because this lasts quite a long time if you let it dry. Also, I don't use it everyday so it lasts even longer. I use this about 1-2 times a week and I've had the smaller side for a couple of months. I don't like this quite as much as I like Aqua Mirabilis. For me, The exfoliating bits are too big and not evenly distributed. The bar itself doesn't melt much on skin and doesn't moisturize as well as Aqua Mirabilis. The smell of Aqua Mirabilis is also better in my opinion. The smell is... different. I don't mind it that much so I'm ok with it. I might buy it again.

So, I've been trying Aqua Mirabilis also by LUSH and I think I like it better. Because of this, I took two lippie of.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 5:43:00 AM More reviews by shannsey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

What can I say? HG, HG, HG.

The smaller Buffy fits perfectly in the special metal LUSH tin. I keep the bar intact and rub it all over my body to exfoliate and moisturize. (NOTE: if you're not slicing it up for individual use, as many others seem to do, it's very important to let the product fully dry before placing it back in the tin.)

I don't find Buffy to be too rough on my skin, as most scrub brushes are, but I always use it under running water after my body wash (and often after shaving).

Yeah, Buffy's a bit greasy. Let the shower run for a few extra minutes to wash away the filmy mess, and have some patience after you towel off to let the moisturizing ingredients sink in. You'll end up with ridiculously smooth, soft, and glowing skin. No other combination of exfoliators and moisturizers accomplishes what this one product does, and the effects last a solid week for me, without needing to reach for any other lotion or body butter.

Smells like a long day at the beach ... Mmm. And lavender.

I get about 8 uses out of the smaller bar ... a solid 1.5 - 2 months of beautiful skin. Not the best value, but try this the next time you're getting ready for a special date and see if it doesn't completely win you over!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Lovemymakeup

Im loving this !! I use this after u use my shower gel and rub allover my body and rinse it real quick and then pat my skin w my towel

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Omg... I used it for the first time... after an hour and my skin is still greasy, has not sunk into my skin at all! I had to use two paper towels to wipe it off :( I am so shocked.and i have really dry skin.

Update:
I don't think i can use this. Its so creamy and thick that it just doesn't absorb into my skin, I have to use a paper towel to wipe the grease off before i can put on my clothes. In the end it turned mouldy and i threw the whole bar out. I'll stick with aqua mirabillus which is amazing.

The scent is more herbally, nice but not fantastic.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by candiello

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

As with many Lush products, Buffy does not come with any packaging which makes it a bit more effort to use. I chopped my bar into four and keep a quarter in a container near the shower so the rest doesn't melt. I usually use this after I have already washed with a shower gel, and rub it along my legs, arms and torso in circular strokes. It smells, like other reviewers have said, earthy, nutty and flowery and the smell lingers for a while after its been washed off. The exfoliating granules in the bar work wonders for scaly or rough skin, however, it does leave an oily film on the skin and you can actually see water from the shower beading on your skin because of the film. So be prepared for some residue, as it is a body butter and designed to moisturise. I think the oiliness soaks into the skin after about 10 mins from hopping out of the shower and leaves your skin wonderfully supple and smooth. What I like about Buffy is that is cuts out one step for me when I am too lazy to moisturise after showering and scrubbing (I normally use Dream Cream). If you give it a go and are put off by the oily feeling afterwards, don't be - you will get used to it and reap the benefits of soft and smooth skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by oracle1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff .Great exfoliator and I dont need lotion after

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2013 9:25:00 AM More reviews by bluebird06

This is a great product if you have keratosis pilaris. The exfoliation really helps keep the bumps on my arms under control. I can definitely tell when I have forgotten to use it for a few days. I step into the back of the shower to use it, so it stays out of the stream of water to keep the bar from melting. I just get my skin damp first and rub the bar lightly over. It is very abrasive, so you have to be careful. My legs get really itchy and dry during the winter and this really helps for that as well. It does feel a bit oily afterwards, but sinks in after a few minutes and is definitely worth it. It is expensive, but the best thing so far for keratosis that I've found. But if I hear of any other options, I might give them a try.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 6:54:00 AM More reviews by amswtr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Buffy the backside slayer is a body butter/exfoliator that is to be used in the shower. You can apply to your wet skin, rinsse off and then it emparts a softness to the skin. This exfoliator is very abrasive. I used it on my arms and on my legs after shaving. I cut my bar into smaller pieces because I had read that it will melt easily. It did melt but not as much as I thought it would. I had to be gentle with this, it felt like it was ripping my skin off at first. After I rinsed off all the grittiness, I patted the areas dry with a towel. My skin felt so soft and smooth. I love it. I don't really get any strong smell from this, the smell to me, is faint. It has almost a medicinal smell but it quickly faded and all I was left with was soft skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2013 1:24:00 PM More reviews by bricupcake

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

AMAZING. I use it on my backside and legs after shaving and it moisturizes and buffs my skin very well. My only complaint is that it melts tooo quickly in the shower.