July 28, 2014 | 2222 users online

Fragrances - Hermes - Un Jardin sur le Nil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2012 4:45:00 PM More reviews by blueelm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I spied this while waiting buying other things and decided to try a little on a fragrance card. Without wearing it myself I would have described it as a hesperidic aquatic with some vanilla thrown in. I liked it so much on the card that I had to try wearing it, despite knowing how hit or miss (mostly miss) citrus can be when I wear it. Well, on first spray all the worst things were there. This literally smells like my sweat. While some people's sweat apparently smells like MKK, mine instead smells like unripe mango, lemon peel, and salad greens that are just beginning to turn as they wilt in the sun. After feeling dirty in my "eau de compost" for a while and figuring I was glad I tried it on first I went on with my errands. The good news for me is that this opening note only lasted a short time. Within twenty minutes I was wondering what that difficult to pin down smell was, and what perfume I should have tried instead, and I realized that this perfume on my wrist had blossomed into the most tranquil and surreal aquatic. I will give this scent one thing, it is unique.

I think I am definitely going to buy a full bottle, because so long as you apply this early enough to have moved past the overbearing opening, this is a very clean and unobtrusive scent.

Now that I have thought about it, I don't have any non-soapy clean scents so this probably deserves a place in my collection just for being that.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2012 8:30:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

anyone familliar with Mr. Ellenas work- yes, the answer is-this is his child....it smells like a fantastic burst of citrus, green (not green like Chanel 19 ''green''...but green like green,wet fruit...)mango,lime,leather and the most amazing feeling of dosage the right components to make a swell perfume:))
simmilar to Kelly Caleche, but more fruity and mouthwatering, it seems to me that this one is a fatamorgana type of scent...it is succulent, fruity,harsh even....but so,so,so dry that you could die of thirst...
Nile (Nil)? oh c'mon master Ellena...you can do so much better with this name....
Kelly Caleche fraiche...maybe?....:))
love this scent...it is the most refreshing scent in the world!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2011 8:18:00 AM More reviews by hannah0930

So ok i am in a fragrance mood these days so was walking down the perfume aisle at Ogilvy's and tried a couple of Hermes perfumes but Un jardin sur le nil is great. It's light yet it lasts forever and have been getting compliments on it the whole week end ! The bottle is classic Hermes and the smell is unique a bit flowery a bit musky ....

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by MsMokum1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is truly delicious. I find it mood-elevating and refreshing. It's a great scent for hot weather (but I wear it all year round) and has excellent sillage. It starts off with a burst of grapefruit and then "glides" into a lovely floral aroma. I'm almost through my first bottle and will definitely be buying a second one. I tried some of the other Hermes Jardin fragrances and didn't like any of them. But this is a keeper!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2011 12:49:00 PM More reviews by isitfriday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the design of the bottle, so pretty. I like this scent, I just dont love it. I find that i do get whiffs of 'hamster cage' must be the cedar in this that seems to be the strongest note on my skin. Not an overly feminine scent, I could see this on a man. it isnt sweet or cloying which is nice in warm weather, just not full bottle worthy for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2011 6:05:00 AM More reviews by Remy2106

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The concept and the bottle design are my kind, so I bought it but I guest i have a problem with chemical ingredients. on my skin a just get a slap of strong chemical grapefruit, and this note overpowers all and only upon the third or fourth application i got a hint of green mango. and after a while it disappears completely (no wood, incense etc...). I got an even worse, terrible olfactory nightmare from Angel, Chanel 5, CK, those fragrances with a high concentration of chemicals so i consider Nil to be only a modest failure, but I ll see what sort of comments i get from people...
Update: my initial impression of Nil was so-so, however i sprayed on today before i did the laundry....and to my surprise it smelled something identical to the washing powder i threw in the bucket....THIS IS TIDE!!!! more than a passing resemblance, a liquid that cost me $100 and tide....

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2011 11:41:00 AM More reviews by covenant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Still on the fence. Bought this unsniffed...first time ever I think. First whiff seemed very sharp. At a counter I would have walked away after one sniff. Since I spent money on it I figured I better give it a chance. The lotion is more subtle and rounded out. It is quite citrusy, with a floral scent working in later. I have been wearing it to work, and it's growing on me. I was looking for a soft, transparent kind of scent that would work through spring and summer. I think I'm going to still be looking, sadly. Wish it had been love right away as for others.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2011 11:41:00 AM More reviews by misscurlylocks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil has a green scent - my immediate thought is green tea and it is reminiscent of green tea by Elizabth Arden. If you like green tea then it is a given you will like this. However I detest the scent of green tea and find it repulsive and overpowering. Hermes are a quality brand and this fragrance has staying power and is strong with just one spray and it is shockingly overpowering and has great staying power so long as you like green smells then this is perfect. I will look out for other Hermes brands because this has an obvious quality if only I liked the scent. I am feeling sick from its overpowering aromas. Its very one dimensionally green.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2010 7:26:00 PM More reviews by Chibilein

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this as a sample from a perfume-shop. When I tried it, it smelled, as if someone had squeezed a lemon over my wrists. Funny, I thought, and would have given it 3 Stars. But after two hours I noticed a miserable smell, like sour sweat. Really disgusting. I almost felt sick.
Don´t buy after the first try. Wait to see, if you still like the scent after a few hours.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by emysiu

I happened upon this gorgeous scent at Sephora a couple weeks ago and fell in love. It is a fresh scent that's slightly floral. Upon first whiff, I got the smell of green plants that is sweetened at the end by flowers. Just beautiful. Yes, the price is a drawback, but when the scent is this well crafted, I'm more than happy to shell out. Thank goodness for eBay, though, in finding this for a lower price!