April 19, 2014 | 1109 users online

Fragrances - Hermes - Un Jardin sur le Nil

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by MsMokum1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is truly delicious. I find it mood-elevating and refreshing. It's a great scent for hot weather (but I wear it all year round) and has excellent sillage. It starts off with a burst of grapefruit and then "glides" into a lovely floral aroma. I'm almost through my first bottle and will definitely be buying a second one. I tried some of the other Hermes Jardin fragrances and didn't like any of them. But this is a keeper!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2011 12:49:00 PM More reviews by isitfriday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the design of the bottle, so pretty. I like this scent, I just dont love it. I find that i do get whiffs of 'hamster cage' must be the cedar in this that seems to be the strongest note on my skin. Not an overly feminine scent, I could see this on a man. it isnt sweet or cloying which is nice in warm weather, just not full bottle worthy for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2011 6:05:00 AM More reviews by Remy2106

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The concept and the bottle design are my kind, so I bought it but I guest i have a problem with chemical ingredients. on my skin a just get a slap of strong chemical grapefruit, and this note overpowers all and only upon the third or fourth application i got a hint of green mango. and after a while it disappears completely (no wood, incense etc...). I got an even worse, terrible olfactory nightmare from Angel, Chanel 5, CK, those fragrances with a high concentration of chemicals so i consider Nil to be only a modest failure, but I ll see what sort of comments i get from people...
Update: my initial impression of Nil was so-so, however i sprayed on today before i did the laundry....and to my surprise it smelled something identical to the washing powder i threw in the bucket....THIS IS TIDE!!!! more than a passing resemblance, a liquid that cost me $100 and tide....

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2011 11:41:00 AM More reviews by covenant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Still on the fence. Bought this unsniffed...first time ever I think. First whiff seemed very sharp. At a counter I would have walked away after one sniff. Since I spent money on it I figured I better give it a chance. The lotion is more subtle and rounded out. It is quite citrusy, with a floral scent working in later. I have been wearing it to work, and it's growing on me. I was looking for a soft, transparent kind of scent that would work through spring and summer. I think I'm going to still be looking, sadly. Wish it had been love right away as for others.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2011 11:41:00 AM More reviews by misscurlylocks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil has a green scent - my immediate thought is green tea and it is reminiscent of green tea by Elizabth Arden. If you like green tea then it is a given you will like this. However I detest the scent of green tea and find it repulsive and overpowering. Hermes are a quality brand and this fragrance has staying power and is strong with just one spray and it is shockingly overpowering and has great staying power so long as you like green smells then this is perfect. I will look out for other Hermes brands because this has an obvious quality if only I liked the scent. I am feeling sick from its overpowering aromas. Its very one dimensionally green.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2010 7:26:00 PM More reviews by Chibilein

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this as a sample from a perfume-shop. When I tried it, it smelled, as if someone had squeezed a lemon over my wrists. Funny, I thought, and would have given it 3 Stars. But after two hours I noticed a miserable smell, like sour sweat. Really disgusting. I almost felt sick.
Don´t buy after the first try. Wait to see, if you still like the scent after a few hours.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by emysiu

I happened upon this gorgeous scent at Sephora a couple weeks ago and fell in love. It is a fresh scent that's slightly floral. Upon first whiff, I got the smell of green plants that is sweetened at the end by flowers. Just beautiful. Yes, the price is a drawback, but when the scent is this well crafted, I'm more than happy to shell out. Thank goodness for eBay, though, in finding this for a lower price!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by kelvinbridgesue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My favourite for spring/ summer - light citrus/ mango that always gets compliments. The price is the only drawback. Unfortunately the duty-frees I frequent don't have a wide range outside the high street brands but if I keep asking maybe they will stock...

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2010 4:04:00 PM More reviews by queenofthenile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I nearly bought this scent online, based on all the glowing reviews, without trying it out myself first. But thankfully I managed to get a sample of it before splurging. All I smell is a sour grapefruit note for the first three hours followed by a boring floral drydown. I really wanted to like this one as I need a good summer-y scent.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2010 7:43:00 AM More reviews by Kcairns

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Citrus notes are always a bit hit or miss for me. I'm not against citrus if it's done well but I am very wary of the nasty 'lemon pledge' tone a lot of citrus fragrances resort to and also have a bit of an aversion to anything too sour. I find the citrus in sur le nil to be delicious, refreshing and addictive and I can definitely see why it seems to be popular with those who don't often appreciate citrus based scents. Having never been fortunate enough to have smelt green mangoes on the tree, I interpret the top notes as something close to grapefruit. But this is no ordinary grapefruit note - not harsh or cheap smelling in any way. It has a juicy, refreshing feel at the top that follows through to the far drydown, while the middle notes introduce a light floral note (presumably Lotus, which I am not usually a fan of, but which is just right) with some light and airy wood notes and just a hint of incense at the base.
My bottle is just a little 15ml spray so I'll definitely be obtaining more to see me through the summer months. Many have said how suited this scent is to warm weather but I also find it works so well when the weather's wet - any kind of humidity makes the notes bloom on my skin. Just a lovely well crafted fragrance you could wear anywhere. Longevity is fantastic for EDT - I applied before a 10 hour shift at work and it was still present when I got home!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No