MAC Fluidline Eyeliner Gel Macroviolet

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

let me clear a few things out the way before i properly review this; this is nowhere near being black! and this is nowhere near being a purple liner! so if you want a straight-up purple liner, or a competitor with black, don't buy this! it does not appear on the eyes how it looks in the jar.
as a previous reviewer rightly stated, this is not opaque due to it's sheen. this personally for me, is a plus, because i like to wear my fluidlines on my bottom lashline (outer and inner) as well. this is why i absolutely love 'Rich Ground' as well! i love the way gel liners look on the bottom lashline, i think it gives such clean, sharp unusual definition.
but back to the review: this takes a couple of applications to get a dark brownish, purpley eggplant colour. even as the website description says, this does provide a bit of shimmering red pearl. my sister said it looked brown but she was not sure, and my friend said my brown eyes looked more 'golden' one day when i was wearing this.
wearability is great, and i'm wearing this with Urban Decay's 247 pencil in '1999' on the waterline (one of the only things that pencil is good for) and it brings out the purpleness of 'Macroviolet'.
also, i personally think this is a must-have for brown eyes! such a classic match these colours usually are and you don't get much better than a gel liner.
so overall, i personally love this. but if you do decide to buy it, please don't expect it to be anywhere near black or bright purple. and this is not a block of colour like 'Blacktrack' as it's not matte and does reflect the light with the warm pearl. but do buy this is you want an interesting, reddish, brownish, eggplant, almost purple liner that blends in well with the eyes, whilst still defining as a gel liner.
would buy again :)

on 3/21/2011 6:25:00 AM

Received this in a swap, and I am glad I didn't end up forking out the cash for it. This looks like a beautiful colour in the pot, but it certainly doesnt translate well. It is very creamy and stays on throughout the day, but just isnt an opaque colour. I think i would describe it as metallic, it has this almost pearlescent sheen to it that means it doesnt show up as a block colour. I would use it with a full eye of eyeshadow for a bit of purple, but not to wear as winged liner on its own. Disappointed this wasnt an opaque, straight purple. Will keep looking!

on 1/25/2011 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I love this color! Perfect alternative to black lined eyes. I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes and fair skin. Also my eyes are on the small side. When I get going with a black liner my eyes can look very closed off and heavy. The purple is a beautiful accent to brown eyes and gives you that drama with out giving your eyes a heavy raccoon feeling.

I like this especially in the lower water line. On me this is a dramatic purple, between a grape and eggplant.

As per usual, MAC Fluidline to me sets the standard for gel eyeliners. Creamy, opaque a breeze to apply. Think of this as eyeliner for dummies. If you always wanted to use a liquid liner but could not get the knack...get a MAC fluidline!

on 1/17/2011 4:56:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I love this fluidline. I have always liked to line my eyes all the way around with a purple shade pencil. But now as I'm getting older I find that pencils migrate down into the fine lines under my eyes(regardless of how long wearing they claim to be!) so they just don't work for me anymore. Macroviolet on me wears as the perfect shade of muted purple...you can see it but it's not too harsh like black can be. True, it doesn't scream PURPLE so I can understand how some people might find that disapointing..but I like that aspect of it. It defines my eyes without being to harsh in color, and the purple tone gives it the depth I'm looking for. And of course, because it's a gel liner it last's all day without moving around on my eyes. I'm very pleased with this shade..when I run out I will repurchase!

on 1/6/2011 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Great texture, easy to work with and wears well. But the colour isn't as pretty on my eyes as in the pot - I don't see the shimmer, or the fact that it's actually a purple-plum colour.

on 1/5/2011 8:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Does not show up on my skin
Can hardly be used as an eyeshadow base because it does not blend well
Waste of money

on 12/26/2010 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I tend to use this more as an eyeshadow base as I don't find that the colour is "purple" enough as an eyeliner. On me, I don't really notice that it is purple unless you look very closely. I was a bit disappointed by that but it is very long lasting, as with other fluidlines and is good quality.

on 10/9/2010 4:15:00 PM

I have way too many purplish gel liners, but I ended up adding this to my collection. I have all of the WnW gel liners (including eggplant) and two sets of the Physician's Formula gel liners (which each include a purple). And I love those liners, but I cannot agree with those who say that they're better than MAC fluidline. I have MAC fluidline in macroviolet, which is a lovely dark, very warm purple liner and it is the ONLY purple gel liner I use. It hasn't dried out at all and it seems like it will last forever. The packaging is also just superior - I love the glass jar and the way the lid screws on. So, I do like the DS gel liners, but I still think MAC fluidline is better and worth the investment.

on 10/9/2010 9:37:00 AM

i really liked this gel liner. Its the shade that i've been looking for. Its lasts pretty long, it brings out my eyes and its easy in application. The only thing i don't like is that i expected it to be a little bit more opaque than it is. And i also wanted it to have some more red undertones. But still its a great colour and i adore using it. I don't think that i'll repurchase because i just like trying different products

on 7/2/2010 2:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

While I think that the Fluidline in Blacktrack is one of the best black gel liners, somehow Macroviolet doesn't quite measure up. You think it would be the exact same formulation and texture as the other Fluidlines but it definitly isn't. To my dismay this product transfered streaky and is more transparent than opaque. I thought that my search for the perfect violet gel liner was over but unfortunatly it is not. I think I will be returning this product and giving it a thumbs down. Perhaps I will try the Bobbi Brown Ink Liners, I have heard they are good.

Top Rated MAC Products