November 29, 2014 | 1462 users online

Treatments - Neutrogena - Instant Nail Enhancer [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2007 1:20:00 PM More reviews by bunnyann

I used this product in both the clear and the pearlescent finishes. It's not a bad product. It definitely is better than nothing in a pinch. What I don't like is the packaging, which always seems to spill on everything, and the horrendous smell. Also, the stuff seems to peel as soon as I wash my hands for the first time and continues to peel continuously until it comes off. It's not a very heavy coating, even when I apply two coats.

After having discovered the Sally Hansen Natural Shine Instant Nail Finish, a similar product, I much prefer the Sally Hansen version. It gives more of a shine and I only have to apply one coat. And, it acts more like a real nail polish in that it gradually fades away rather than peeling progressively off like glue. The Neutrogena is a little bit easier to apply because you hold it like a pen and truly only need one hand, whereas the Sally Hansen is like a nail polish bottle which you have to keep dipping. But given the face that the Sally Hansen version dries literally instantly and leaves much better results, I have taken to using the Sally Hansen one, even in the car.

The Neutrogena Nail Enhancer is okay, but the Sally Hansen Natural Shine is better in my opinion.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2007 11:20:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have an "on again, off again" relationship with acrylic nails. Even though my natural nails are strong and healthy, I like the look and convenience of acrylics. And when I remove them for a natural look, my nails need help. I've had good luck with other strengtheners and treatments (especially Nailtiques After Acrylics treatment system), but I decided to give this a try. So far, I love it. The product is very easy to apply. It dries super quick and gives a nice shine much like that of a fresh salon buffing (I'm using the pearl sheen). I like the ingredients and it seems to strengthen, and I also appreciate the fact that it allows my nails to "breathe" (especially after wearing acrylics!), and does not require a stripping polish remover. It seems to last about 2 days for me, even though I frequently wash my hands and scrub my nails with soap at least once a day. I have worn this under a coat of Sally Hansen clear strengthener when I wanted more protection, and it gives a nice, manicured look with almost zero effort. Edited 7/25 to add: After about 10 days of using this product, the brush gummed up so horribly that application was difficult at best. That didn't really matter because about a day later, the product completely stopped dispensing no matter what I tried, and I had to throw the entire thing away - and the product was still at least 3/4 full! VERY frustrating! Nice product, but something about the packaging will have to change in order for me to purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2007 9:59:00 PM More reviews by caleee143

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If I could pick an "oh god yes!" answer for the repurchase question, I would! This stuff is THAT amazing! I have the iridescent kind which makes my nails look amazing. I don't put it on everyday though and my brush is a little stuck together but it still applies the "enhancer" evenly. It's a little pricey (well for me it is) but it makes my nails so strong and so long, two things I have never been able to achieve. I would highly recommend this stuff and I will definitely repurchase!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2007 8:53:00 AM More reviews by KSALLS

I have tried everything under the sun to get my very thin nails to grow. A girlfriend of mine suggested this and I absolutley love it. I have been using it for over a year now and have only had probably 3 nails to break. I have beautiful nails and they are strong! What's so great about this product is that you put it on whenever you get a chance (I try to at least once a day) and it takes only 30 seconds to put on and dry! You don't need to take it off every few days and wait forever for your nails to dry. I guess I love this product so much because it's simple, fast and it works! The applicator sometimes acts up but I will put up witht that to have beautiful nails.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2007 8:50:00 PM More reviews by lady_astrid2001

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i liked the idea of this product when i bought it, and i have to say that i am satisfied with it. it makes my nails look shiny and it only takes a few seconds to apply. the bads things about it are 1)the packaging is weird, because i've been through 2 tubes of this stuff and both have leaked horribly, causing me to put too much on my nails and then it takes awhile to dry and 2) i'm really beginning to think that this stuff is really just watered-down super glue. also, the brush's bristles can get stuck together, but only if you dont use this prduct every day like you are supposed to. if your brush gets stuck like this, i would suggest using a sonia kashuk metal eyelash comb to untangle the bristles (that little comb is AMAZING). all in all, i have brought this product multiple times and will probably buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2007 7:56:00 PM More reviews by thatmoody

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I usually obsessively polish my nails, and keep them at least coated with OPI's Matte Nail Envy. I noticed that they were getting quite weak, and were beginning to break a lot easier, so I picked this up at Walgreen's, and started using it. While I'm not %100 happy with this, because of the peeling factor (if I take a bath after I apply this, it peels off in long, icky strings). But I've been applying it every day and my nails look very healthy and shiny. They aren't breaking as easily, and they seem stronger. So I'll keep using this, and save the polish more for special occasions (except on my toes, of course!).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2007 7:37:00 AM More reviews by trar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I went to clean out my nail kit a while back and found that I had 3 bottles of clear, 2 bottles of black, one bottle of blackest red and 37 bottles of 'nude'.

I always want to have a clean looking nail, but one that looks groomed as well, so I was really attracted to all the blushing shades of nude... except you put it on and fuck it up just a little and it looks like you merely have deformed fingernails.

I was initially hesitant to purchase this, and checked the word on the street (ok, the alley ;) and decided to try it out in buff. I now own two bottles of nail polish (black & red) and this!!! It is fantastic... you get super shiny nails that can't be scratched or dinged because there's no drying time.

The only time I got a bubble like one of the other posters described was when I put cuticle oil on just before I brushed the enhancer on. This brush-on and a little cuticle oil is a daily thing I can really maintain, unlike those periods of resolve I had to do fresh nail polish every day or even every week. I'm going to try the pearl sheen next, but I've been using the buff for a couple months now and I'm hooked.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2007 5:34:00 AM More reviews by emiliefair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I like this product. I don't normally wear nail polish so I use the clear kind to make me look a bit more put together for job interviews and such and the irridecent kind for parties. I never got the hang or have the time for real nailpolish and this is so much easier. The results may not be quite as nice but they are nicer than if I tried to polish my nails! Also I like that I can just scrub it off, no polish remover, which I would really rather not have in my house.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2007 3:28:00 PM More reviews by cahoonka

Luv it. Luv it. Luv it. I too like the "rounded square" and natural nail look. I sometimes splurge on manicures but often end up telling the girl that I just want them buffed with 3 coats of clear. Not too exciting but good enough for me since I like a clean look for the everyday.

I saw this advertised in allure and got the Buff color. It's actually no color at all but looks like your nails were just buffed. Gorgeous for the natural look...It lasts about all day and if you want a shinier look, just put 2 coats of this stuff on. It dries instantly, doesn't stink, has a nifty applicator, and is very inexpensive. I would definitely buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2007 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Mary_Poppins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The product itself is good, but the packaging is terrible. I own both Buff and Pearl Sheen, and I should be very careful when opening it. The brush comes off occasionally. Also, this stuff glues the brisles and then can be diffucult to put on.