December 18, 2014 | 1279 users online

Lipstick - Clinique - Almost Lipstick - Black Honey

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2014 8:21:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of my favorite go to lip balm/butter product. It leaves a faint berry tint to my lips. Love this "almost lipstick". I use it on the weekends when I do "no makeup". (which still is powder to t zone, mascara and this lippie)

Definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a hint of color.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 12:54:00 PM More reviews by pickmepinup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up after hearing its longtime reputation for giving a natural, polished look, even with minimal or no make-up at all. I liked the sound of a balm with such a sophisticated-looking tint that I could feel a bit more confident and less vulnerable without needing to do the work of putting on all my war paint.

I'm so glad I gave this a try. I'm a nearly-white shade of pale, for reference, and this shows up as a red-tinged berry with brown undertones. Now, as a dedicated lover of opaque matte lipsticks and someone who does not ever reach for lip gloss, this very, very sheer "almost lipstick" is a change of pace for me. I can tell the pigmentation is spot-on for what they were going for with this product - something natural, buildable, and totally versatile. Doesn't yellow teeth, visibly bleed/feather, feel unpleasant or dry your lips out. I suppose the way I'd put it is that a stranger would most likely think it was your natural lip color, though a friend would notice the difference.

I will say that, if I'm not careful with my application, the shade can turn to a bit on the unflattering side with just how brown it is. I like to go very sheer so that only the red pigmentation gives a beautiful flush to my lips. Never goes true-to-the-tube, though can go from "almost lipstick" to "basically lipstick," and I don't ever find that that looks as good with how fair my skin is and how even the most sheer of dark lipsticks show up boldly on me.

Not even a trace of any sort of fragrance, which I think is genius for this particular lipstick because the last thing I want with a bare-faced look is to have a strong fragrance under my nose. I love the feeling of this on my lips. It's very smooth like a lip balm, though I tend to wear one underneath to make application that tiny bit smoother. Appearance-wise, the tube is sleek and thin and fashionable, so nothing wrong there!

I bet this would look just stellar on olive skintones, which tolerate a much more buildable look than my complexion does. My one big gripe is that this lipstick tends to disappear within twenty minutes to an hour of application, which is a real drag when you don't want to be bothered for a reapplication.

If you're on the fence about this one, I would suggest picking up the travel size($7-9 vs. the $15-16 of the full-size tube) and see if it works for you. Pricey as a MAC lipstick with not a lot in the full-size tube(much less the travel size), it is quite expensive, though the quality of this product is very nice and I am satisfied with my purchase. I'm definitely going to pick up a full-sized tube of this beauty when I run out of my sample size.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Jackierose1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this lipstick. It's sheer, but build able. It's a very pretty berry kind of color. Feels like butter on my lips, kind of glossy without being sticky. I like the sturdy packaging since it's a thin lipstick. Only thing is, I wish it'd last longer. I love this when I'm made up or made down to bring a bit of color to my face. Overall, I'd purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2014 5:35:00 AM More reviews by lovepixie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I love love love this. Removing lippie due to lack of staying power. And I realize that it's not really meant to have staying power, but I mean this stuff really is gone in no time. That said, it's freaking beautiful and looks good on everyone. If I could find a stain or lipstick to exactly mimic the shade I get from applying this, it would be my HG. As is, I still love the product. It glides on smoothly and looks done without being too done and it's just beautiful. Have I mentioned how beautiful it is? Until I find THE ONE, I will be sticking with primarily this or just rose balm. I really do love this. Non drying and matches everything and every look. Just wish I could apply less often.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by Rebeeka125

Love it. Looks like naturally flushed beautiful lips.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

I chose a deluxe sample size version of this from Sephora because there seemed to be universal agreement that it would look awesome on everyone. Sadly, I didn't like it because I like bold lip colors and this was like a tinted chapstick but in an ugly tint shade. I already have pretty pigmented lips so this shade didn't do anything at all for me. I didn't think it was moisturizing and it tasted not-good. It wasn't pretty at all. I don't like sheer lip color that shows the texture and lines on my lips. I would NEVER buy this. I can't imagine buying nude lipstick, let alone something called 'almost lipstick.' But if you love sheer & nude for your lips, I guess you might like this.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2014 11:09:00 PM More reviews by darkangel13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For whatever shortcomings this product has, the universally flattering color makes up for it. Yes it could be a little more long lasting and the packaging could be updated so that the top of the tube doesn't pop off but nothing changes the way I feel when I wear this baby. Clinique's cult classic Black Honey makes me feel sophisticated and dare I say quite French in the way that I can look instantly put together with minimal effort. Unlike a nude lipstick, I can wear Black Honey when the only other makeup I have on is my brows and mascara and I'll actually feel confident leaving the house. No other lip product I own has that effect. So I say just go for it and spend the $16 because the probability that this will become a staple in your makeup bag is 9/10. It's just that gorgeous and versatile!

Tip: L'Oreal's Colour Riche lip liner in Au Naturale ($6.99) is the exact same color as this and I do mean EXACT. So if you want to improve the wear and longevity of this lipstick use that lip liner in conjunction :)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/15/2014 8:12:00 AM More reviews by catmarg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this based on reviews that is was flattering for any skin. I was skeptical since it is so dark. I have medium complexion skin with olive undertones. This is NOT flattering. It does not seem very moisturizing or long lasting. The lid on the product also seems a bit loose. I won't repurchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2014 12:19:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference: nc30, warm and yellow

This lipstick is a gorgeous sheer reddish berry color. Leaves a nice sheen to the lips. This product really does moisturize the lips. I think I paid around $15 for this at sephora.

I love wearing this when I have a neutral face and I need a pop of color. Love wearing this when I'm rocking a camel/orangey eye makeup.

Possible dupe could be the Nivea color of care lip balm in "sheer berry". Only difference is that "black honey" is a tad bit darker.

Definitely would repurchase!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This color has been around for-eh-ver.
I tried it as a freebie in the '80's and it's still a nice, wearable shade - somewhat sheer - a bit moisturizing formula (not super long wearing - but not bad).

For free? No problem!