September 19, 2014 | 1849 users online

Lipstick - Clinique - Almost Lipstick - Black Honey

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This color has been around for-eh-ver.
I tried it as a freebie in the '80's and it's still a nice, wearable shade - somewhat sheer - a bit moisturizing formula (not super long wearing - but not bad).

For free? No problem!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2014 9:33:00 AM More reviews by galaxygoo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am 38 years old. I first tried Clinique Black Honey from a free gift set my mom got when I was a teenager. For years, all through my 20s, this was the only lipstick I would wear. I always think there is something better, but I always come back to it. The color is perfect for my neutral, pale skin. It is a warmer red, with brown tones. It can be applied very lightly for a natural flush, or darker for a more dramatic look. It also stains, so the color stays for quite a bit. It isn't too shiny, isn't too matte. Slightly moisturizing. The small, sleek tube allows me to be able to apply it anywhere, without a mirror. It is amazing to think this has been a mainstay in my purse for over 20 years, and I am sure it will be for next 20.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2014 2:40:00 PM More reviews by diggitybomb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i absolutly love this cult favourite!! my sisters and mom use this as well and it looks different in all of us! i love that it adapts to different situations, that way i dont need a thousand lip products, just one! o the downside, it doesnt have as much staying power, but i dont even care!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2014 11:43:00 PM More reviews by Parvatis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Was so excited to wear it, loved the idea, and read that Liv Tyler used it for The Lord of he Rings. Looked nice when if went on my lips, but within seconds left them dry and chapped. The colour would then fade into my suddenly dehydrated lips. Disappointed.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Eastend_Snob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm not a traditional lipstick girl, but I wanted to try it out. I thought Almost Lipstick would be a great starter. Black Honey is a nice colour and different to my regular pinky peachy or nude glosses. The formula was nice but maybe because I'm used to wearing glosses and balms, I didn't feel this had enough slip for me and ultimately felt a little dry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Where have I been? I only tried Clinique's Almost Lipstick in the near-iconic shade Black Honey a few months ago, and it's now become my go-to lip product. This is one of those products where the shade will look different on everyone; with my fair skin and pink lips the result is a sheer plum/fig. It gives a rich colour without being a bold shade, and it goes nicely with all of my preferred eye looks.

My lips have been kept hydrated and flake free during cold weather and central heating, as the formula is buttery and light. Having a moisturizing formula means that this product isn't very long lasting, but the colour makes up for this downside for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This 5 lippie review is probably more based on the formulation of Clinique's Barely There lipsticks than on the color, Black Honey, itself. Clinique originally offered many different colors of Barely There, along w/ Black Honey. Currently, Black Honey is the only color offered. Every so often, they re-release new colors of Barely There & I scoop up as many light, peachy pinks as I can because I know they will discontinue new colors and go back to only selling Black Honey again. All in all, I LOVE the formulation of this lipstick!!! I am not a big lipstick fan. I will wear it but never enjoy the obvious feeling of thick, or even worse, dry, cream on my lips. For daily use, I prefer lip liner used all over lips and a moisturizing lip balm and/or a sheer lipstick on top. As far as an undetectable-feeling lipstick that is sheer & light with no fragrance, Clinique's Barley There lipsticks really fit the bill. As for the color, Black Honey, it is such a sheer purplish-pink that I can see how it could work w/ most skin tones. I feel that am too light skinned (NC 25-pale, light skin leaning twd a warm neutral) to pull it off w/ minimal make-up. If I want a more dramatic look and am pairing it w/ darker eye-liner and more dramatic blush, it looks gorgeous. I prefer warmer corals & peachy-pinks for my every day make up so I don't reach for Black Honey often but when I do use it, I love it. I have to say, though, that I would not purchase the color Black Honey in any other lipstick formulation. For me, it's the perfect sheerness that Barely There lipstick offers that makes this color so universal and it's the only reason why I occasionally wear it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/18/2013 10:10:00 PM More reviews by rockstar00

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

hated it! Does nothing for me. Makes my lips feel like I have some kind of cheapie chap balm. The color payoff is blotchy. I keep getting this in gift bags from Clinique. Ugh!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2013 9:31:00 PM More reviews by stimwink1

I love the color of this sheer lip stick especially during summer when I want color but not a heavy application. The consistency is smooth and the color on me is an amber/plum I have NW25 skin and my lips are fairly pigmented and will change colors of lipsticks to other than what they are said to be. This is a sheer and not opaque coverage similar to the lipstick Queen butterfly colors.

The one thing I hate about the Almost lipsticks and this has been a problem on everyone I've ever had. I like an edge on my lippys so I work them so they keep the angle as long as possible. This product eventually twists around so it's at the wrong angle to the tube and while doesn't make the product unusable is just plain old annoying to me.

Glad they kept this color along with a couple of others. Will definitely be part of my collection!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2013 7:10:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this colour for Winter on me it shows up a plummy berry. I'm very fair NW20-N1,36 Mufe Face & Body to give you an idea and this shade really is universally flattering. I also think it is very moisturizing and has not dried my lips out at all. It's such a good berry colour that looks great with Sin, or Blushing Bride and some mascara and my makeup is done. I love how you can layer the intensity of the shade as well. The packaging is nice and thin and the price is reasonable and the formula is good. I would repurchase this. Recommended!