October 30, 2014 | 1620 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Satin Lipstick in Brave

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 5:09:00 PM More reviews by lnielsen22

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used to wear this shade in my 20's and I can't remember why I stopped. But I have been searching and searching for a neutral pink shade that is not too glossy, has no frost in it, and makes my lips look fuller without having to line them. I picked up a tube of Brave yesterday at MAC and put it on this morning and I was in love with it immediately. Made my lips look shapely, full, and such a pretty, not in your face color.

It's hard to recommend a lip color to everyone because they all look different on each one of us due to our natural lip color. If our natural, un-made up lip color had a scale of 1 to 10 --- 1 being very pale almost colorless and 10 being dark, almost red ---- my lips are a 5 in color. So, considering that, when I wear Brave the color comes off on me as a pinky brown that is just dark enough to give my lips definition. On someone with lighter lips it might just come off as bubble gum pink.

I am now in my 40's and I can't do the bold lip look anymore without looking garish. I don't like just lip gloss because the shine makes my lips look thinner and it just doesn't do anything to pull my look together. And lining my lips can look harsh on me. Brave is everything I want in a lip color. I should buy a few back-up tubes because I know I'm going to go through it fast.

Brave can feel a bit dry on the lips after a few hours, so it does need something underneath to keep it from feeling that way. A thin layer of lip balm or MAC's lip primer will do the trick.

I pair Brave with a light sweep of Chanel bronzer and MAC Lady Blush cream blush on my cheeks, and MAC Era on my lids with lots of black mascara and it's a great, very natural, no fuss but elegant look. The whole look reminds me of when you see supermodels walking around off hours, un made-up, but their features are still very pretty and striking. Try this look on yourself and you'll see what I mean.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by Calincherie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is definitely a my lips but better rosy nude on my pale skin, but my only complaint is that it's very drying. It does have the usual vanilla scent to it, but it's not overpowering.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 9:00:00 PM More reviews by thisisashley

This is my most used lipstick. I'm NW25 and it's the perfect "my lips but better" colour! The vanilla flavour is great.

I do find that this lipstick can wear off easily and when worn on its own, it can get a little flaky when reapplied often. I find that layering lip balm underneath helps with this so I'll still give it 5 stars because I like the colour and I don't mind layering products.

I like to start with a layer of Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Red Dahlia. Then I apply a light layer of Brave. I love the look and I will repurchase when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Sarah1325

I was looking for haute altitude but it was sold out. The MUA picked brave for me as a dupe. Its my first satin lipstick and I find it a bit drying but I do love the colour.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2012 2:00:00 AM More reviews by NudeBlush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This color is mlbb and it brightens up my face. Very wearable, a brighter more pink version of Cosmo. Yes, I will be repurchasing when I use up my tube.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2012 2:25:00 PM More reviews by JeniRyder

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

The perfect “my lips but better” color.
Very wearable and pigmented, but can be drying on the lips.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2012 6:27:00 AM More reviews by tsh82

i am so dissapointed how i didnt listen to one of my friends who rec me this. such neutral but sweet colour for my nc30 skin tone.
it is literally the colour of my lips but enhanced hahaha.
i asked the sa for pinkish nude and gave me this, all i can say is no regrets :D

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2012 6:01:00 AM More reviews by mandzz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The pigment of this lipstick is absoloutely perfect for my olive toned skin. A friend commented on how it's practically the same colour of my lips (which is good for me since I use this shade as an everyday lipstick).
Can be worn everyday as I mentioned, or paired with a smokey eye look on a night out. Also looks good with a layer of lipgloss on top.
Only issue with this is...
-the texture: not really a fan of the satin range since I find them to be drying on my lips. I also find this lipstick makes the lines in my lips obvious if they're dry so I have to put a layer of lip balm on first.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2012 10:05:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

Reference: NC25 Asian, rosy lips naturally.

This is my go-to "my lips but better" shade. It looks like a muted pinky-brown color in indoor lighting (veeeeery close to my natural lip color) and more of a brighter, creamy pink in bright sunlight. I tend to think it looks like a muted down version of Revlon's Pink in the Afternoon in outdoor lighting. This is a great lipstick to own for those of us who like looking polished without looking like we're wearing much makeup because it's subtle but still soooo pretty on the lips. I think this is very close to MAC Cosmo, except Cosmo is a little deeper and has slightly richer pink-red tones, whereas Brave has a little more brown in it.

Unfortunately, yes, it is drying and tends to emphasize creases in my lips. I ALWAYS wear balm underneath and I highly suggest everyone do the same. I am taking off a lippie because nothing can be done to fix how much this lipstick emphasizes creases. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2012 10:43:00 AM More reviews by Princessngirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my go-to every day lipstick. I wouldn't quite characterize it as my HG, and it works nicely for day time, neutral makeup.

Pros
Good pigment
Nice finish - on me, it doesn't have the typical 'satin' MAC finish
Color is good on my neutral, borderline yellow, pale skin - neutral mauve w a touch of brownish pink- not for someone who wants her lips to be a facial focal point

Cons
Layering it can get messy
Staying power (on me) is just fair
It has a strange sweet scent - DH doesn't mind it when he kisses me, and it is strong enough to note
Transfers onto everything!

Because the color is good on me, I will continue to buy - in terms of the product's overall quality, I would say it is fair-good.