September 16, 2014 | 1882 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Anti-Shine Compact [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2009 3:34:00 PM More reviews by hathor2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this instead of their liquid version because the liquid version is slightly tinted and could interfere with the color of my foundation or pressed powder.
    I like how easy it spreads and how it disappears on my skin. I dig the really small compact that it has two levels a bed for its sponge applicator that doubles as a mirror.
    It works to keep me matte but not too long. I know it works because there is less oil that I have to wipe off with my blotting paper, but because I still have to use oil blotting paper it means that the product only works for about two hours on my face before I produce too much oil and overcomes this anti shine compact from smashbox.
    I hate how expensive this ittybitty thing is.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2008 2:52:00 AM More reviews by nfreiheit

I have quite oily pores and got a sample of this to try. The ingredient that makes it work is milk of magnesia. A good do-it-yourself anti-oil mask at home is to apply milk of magnesia, so I knew this product would absorb oil.

It does absorb the oil, but trying to apply foundation over it afterwards was awful. My foundation just wouldn't spread and my pores sucked up the foundation and looked outrageous.

This product might work for oily skin with a normal primer on top, then foundation, but that's a lot of work.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2008 12:22:00 PM More reviews by laurita_elena_1978

Because I use sunscreen on my face, my forehead tends to be more on the oily side. However, I do not have oily skin. I normally use Dermadoctor tease zone which works good but leave a residue if you put too much. I was unable to drive to get the dermadoc gel thing for the face so I stopped by at a macys and bought this cute smashbox anit shine compact.

I think it does its work good. It is not too mattifying but it does remove the shine and your skin looks pretty natural looking. This will not be something to use for the entire face since its pretty small and you will finish it soon. This compact is more for touch ups etc. In my case, since its only my forehead, no biggie.

I think if you have really bad oily skin, you have to get a cleanser and moisturizer specifically for oily skin. This product alone, won't make miracles. This is more of a touch up product w/out messing up your makeup. (blot with fingertips, do not rub)

I got the photo shoot light primer as a sample and it helped too.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2008 10:26:00 AM More reviews by beautifulasian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Honestly at first i did not like this at all. this was too small for its price and it did not seem to anti shine me. But i was wrong.
    After several usage, i picked up know-how ..in applying this. You should not wipe ur face with this product's sponge..you just have to very lightly dab and da da! shine is gone. At first i also made mistake and complained that nothing is improving ..i even somekinda expected coverage out of this LOL like a pressed power.. i was wrong.

This is very good product if you already have just right amount of makeup or good tone or colour and u dont wanna mess it up with other coloured (even tho they say its transparent) pressed powder and also if u are afraid that blotting with blot paper will pick up makeup. If you use this product right way, this really makes my makeup look refreshed and not shiny but not cakey at all. (unlike putting on pressed power for blotting)

yes this is expensive and too small but i like it small so that i can carry it around anywhere..but i have to be careful not to lose it lol. it's very cute and anyway i like the way this product does not ruin my makeup and just lifts unwanted shine. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2008 4:26:00 PM More reviews by organizer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great product! I have extremely oily skin and use Smashbox Anti-shine, in the tube, for under foundation, which works awesome. So I decided to try the compact. It was $32 Canadian at SDM (Shoppers Drug Mart). I consider $32 expensive; however it worked great for me after mid-day blotting with tissues, and kept me shine-free for several hours. I read the other reviews; people claim the sponge applicator pulls off m/u and deposits the m/u on the sponge. I did not find this on me. I believe the black sponge is what's turning people off. While I did notice there is 'stuff' on the sponge after blotting, it is because the sponge is black so the product, which is clear/whiteish/grey mixed with a wee-tiny bit of foundation, discolours the sponge quickly. I even switched out the sponges to the white disposable kind. There was only a very tiny amount of foundation on the white sponge. I can live with that because I sometimes get this on blotting tissues if I press too hard. I took a lippie off only because if they repackage, the sponge should be white and not black.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2008 10:59:00 PM More reviews by organizer

This is for the Smashbox Anti-shine in Neutral in the tube. This is absolutely the *best* anti-shine product I have tried and I tried it because it is one of the few anti-shine products highly rated on beautypedia.com. I paid $28 at SDM (Shoppers Drug Mart) in Canada. I have *extremely* oily skin and have been roadtesting for several days now. Today was the ultimate test. At 9am I cleansed, applied Rosacure (for redness), Emerge Sebum Control Moisturizer, facial self-tanner, then Smashbox Anti-shine all over, not just the t-zone. This was the ultimate test because I did not wear my usual long-wearing fndn which is super at keeping oilies at bay. I blotted twice today (you could not see the oil but I knew it was time), then after the 2nd blot at 4pm I swiped on Smashbox Anti-shine Compact (also great for me despite reviews). At 9pm my face was still matte! I am beyond impressed. Now I can go fndn-free, which I usually cannot, and not worry about oilies. Initially I thought this was too expensive but you use *very* little, even for the whole face, and it worked so great I don't mind the expense.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2008 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Baano

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product. In general, I always really WANT to like Smashbox stuff. I'm a sucker for their packaging. But I think the only thing of theirs I like are their eye products. I saw the demo of the Anti-Shine Compact on the Shopping Channel and it looked like it took out the shine in the oily zones and they even suggested you could wear it without foundation if you had really good skin. But the shine comes back pretty quickly with this product and the sponge applicator that comes with picks up foundation really easily so that the sponge looks really cakey and a bit gray after a few uses. Maybe it's because the product is white and the sponge is black? I don't know, but it just doesn't feel hygienic if you want to remove excess dirty and oil. I think blotting paper is a better option to keep your skin healthy and way cheaper!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2008 11:54:00 PM More reviews by salsamama

This is a fantastic product! Use it sparingly (a dab about the size of a match head will do your forehead....really!). I live in the LA area where it's hot hot HOT in the summer, and this is what I use to stay shine-free all day. I have combo skin, and this is great to tame my oily areas without having to skimp on moisturizer for my drier spots.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2008 6:43:00 PM More reviews by carisak826

I don't put this all over my face but it is the BEST thing/God send for using as a primer for the eyelids and under the eyes. I have tried EVERYTHING to get my eyeliner to stay on (on the lid and under the eye), but by lunchtime, everything was smeared and almost gone. I had some of this just laying around and decided to try it for the eye area and it has been wonderful! Just dab a little on and put your eye makeup on - seriously, it was the best discovery ever - glad I thought to try it! :)

rated 2 of 5 on 2/1/2008 9:36:00 AM More reviews by lemfloyd

I didn't get on very well with this product. It was very difficult to get the product onto the spong and then when 'blotted' onto the face, it picked up my foundation so the sponge just looked manky. I seemed to need to reapply this a lot to get the shine reducing affect. I love the cute little container with mirror but that's ne reason to buy again. MAC blot powder is so much better.