November 24, 2014 | 1566 users online

Treatments (Face) - Avene - Ystheal+ Creme

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2007 6:17:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Thanks to the girls on the MUA skincare board I started using this a few months ago and I haven't looked back. I'm mid-30s with combo skin that's prone to congestion. At least, it used to be combo and get congested. Now, it's behaving itself beautifully thanks to Avene. My skin feels so soft and looks younger than it has in years. The only downside is the yellowish tint that it has which can stain my white pillowcases, but it's a small price to pay for great skin. Hallelujah!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2007 11:28:00 AM More reviews by krhilgenberg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm 25, sensitive, acne prone skin, I get 1-2 small whitehead pimples a week, my friends would say I have average to below average looking skin. I also have some redness, large pores and uneven skin tone. I also am starting to get wrinkles under my eyes and forehead. It's not that bad I'm just very picky on my complextion.

This was my first retinoid I have tried. I was also using Jojoba oil on my off days (love this stuff!!)

I used this every other day for 1 month to even out my skin tone and cut down on the redness. I also wanted to reduce my pores and elimintate the occasional pimple, as well as reduce wrinkles. ( what a retinoid should be able to do). I didn't give it as long as an evaluation as I should've, but here is what I found:::

I noticed decent results with smoothing out my redness, skintone, small reduction in look of pores. (did not use it long enough to get results on my wrinkles)........The reason I stopped was it was clogging my pores(yuck!!) and I never have a problem with clogged pores (unless I use a bad sunscreen). I have switched to Alpha Hydrox AHA 10% Gel and love this stuff, I also use thermal water which is great for calming skin tone.

I have heard after countless hours of research on retinoids that since ystheal GELis discountinued, the next best retinoid(in terms of effectiveness yet not irriatating) is Differin gel. I will try this if the AHA 10% stops giving me good results.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2007 7:30:00 AM More reviews by Lizzy28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Me: very sensitive (62 on the Dr. Baumann sensitivity scale!), dry, dehydrated, fragile (as in thin) skin with mild Rosacea. I'm 37 years of age and the first real wrinkles are showing up. So I guessed it was about time to fight those ageing signs. After hearing the raves on the skincare board on Avene's retinal creams, I decided to give this one a try, knowing Avene has some pretty good products for sensitive skin and isn't that expensive. I chose Ystheal+ Cream over Eluage because this cream isn't fragranced and best suited for dry skins. It is also pH neutral and there aren't any real irritating ingredients in it. It comes in a nice pump bottle with an extensive product description. Now, it is a pretty greasy cream, but I'm def. not acne prone so I use two pumps for my whole face and neck after cleansing at night. I also use it around my eyes and I haven't experienced any stinging, burning or redness. I don't need to put any other moisturizer on top of it. After using this cream every night for over a week, I noticed my skin is already looking brighter and smoother. However, I also noticed my skin is becoming more dry so I'm going to use Ystheal+ every other night and use a thick, moisturizing night cream on the night I don't use Ystheal+ Cream. But I most certainly will continue using this cream because it works, isn't irritating at all and is pretty cheap considering the fact one bottle will last me three months with the amount and frequency I'm using it. I'm really curious to know what the results will be in three months! If you have sensitive skin and think you cannot use any retinal product, you might consider give this one a try! Update: this is clogging my pores;-( I'm now using Avene Eluage Cream and it's the best!!
Ingredients: aqua, caprylic/capric triglyceride, avene thermal spring water, mineral oil, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, squalane, propylene glycol, glycol montanate, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, bht, butylparaben, carbomer, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, CI 17200, retinaldehyde C.T. 0.05%, tocopheryl glucoside (vitamin E), triethanolamine.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2007 10:21:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I was lucky enough to be able to buy the next-to-last one of this (and the Ystheal + Emulsion) at one of the big CVS stores that carries Avene, La Roche Posay and other high-end Euro brands. It appears to have just expired (12/06) but the active ingredient (the retinaldehyde) still seems potent enough. When I started using this stuff, my forehead was literally covered in little bumps--normal pimples and what seemed to be headless pimples. Ewww. It had been like that for weeks, and nothing, not benzoyl peroxide, AHAs, BHAs, MaMa Lotion, etc. was helping. I ordered Diacneal online but happened to spot the Ystheal at the CVS when I was visiting my folks over the holidays and decided to try that out first since I'd heard the Diacneal can be harsh (and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered anyway).

So far, I'm impressed--my forehead has cleared up except for a few pesky, lingering zits, but all the strange little bumps are gone and I haven't had any new breakouts since I started using the Ystheal.

The texture is creamy and runny at the same time, if that makes sense, and takes awhile to absorb. There is no odor. The packaging is pretty nice too--a white canister with a built-in pump. I'm sad that they've discontinued this. I'm also sad that Avene is so hard to get in the U.S. I've tried lots of over-the-counter retinol products but I've never found them to be very effective. I think the retinaldehyde (which is more potent than retinol) in Avene's line is working out better for my stubborn, resistant, easily-clogged combination skin (though it is gentle enough for me to use around my eyes without any flaking or irritation). I guess I'll have to resign myself to ordering Avene stuff from Canada and paying the extra shipping and customs charges. Bleargh.

ETA: Well, it's been about a month now and I've switched to Diacneal for my face, but I still use the Ystheal Creme for around my eyes. My eyes look great! The skin is firmer and smoother and the lines seem a bit fainter, and there's hardly any dark circles left. Plus, zero irritation or flakes! Even in the dead of winter! (I'm also using Avene's Soothing Eye Cream during the day). continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2006 10:07:00 AM More reviews by ocmommy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am having really great results with this creme.

I have very fair, very dry/dehydrated skin. I am always on the prowl for the next great product that will help refine the texture, improve the clarity, target fine lines...all without making it dry and flaky.

1 week in and so far, so good!!! I use this every night after cleansing and applying the Thermal Water Serum (which is the bomb), and it goes on easily and sinks in immediately.

As with most treatments of this sort, I find that I still need to put another creme on top in order to boost the hydration my skin needs.

I prefer to follow up with the Avene Cold Cream, and I use the Anti-Redness creme in the am, which has an SPF of 25. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 11/4/2006 6:07:00 AM More reviews by shwalsh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Disappointed with this cream. I have used Avene products in the past with much success. I have dry, sensitive skin and although this cream absorbs very well, I have found that I need to apply rather a lot. I have bought this on three occassions and the bottles are finished in 2 weeks. I've had pots of equivalently expensive face creams (pre-anti-aging creams) that last, at least, double the time, and provide more comfort. In Ystheal's defense, I am sure that my finer lines have diminished but I am suspicious about my skin's sensitivity to this product. Giving Caudelie a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2006 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Meisje

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I’ve been using the Ystheal lotion which I was very happy with but as the weather’s getting cooler I decided to switch to the cream. It’s even better. I wear it at night and I wake up with soft smooth skin. EDIT: After trying Eluage Crème I decided to stop using Ystheal Crème. It’s a good product but Eluage suits my skin better. My skin is dehydrated rather than dry so the lightweight Eluage with hyaluronic acid is better than the rich Ystheal. I'll use the rest of the Ystheal on my neck and eyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2006 3:20:00 PM More reviews by LadyPenelope

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after my first pregnancy left me with extra dry and tired-looking skin and I was considering using LaMer to revive it. I decided to try this first after reading all the rave reviews, particularly here and on the MUA skincare board.

It felt great - nice and rich, like I like, but not too rich - and knowing it was proven to give results added to my decision to immediately buy this as a gift for my sister in her early thirties and a cousin in her early fifties, both of whom have ashy, unhalthy-looking skin.

In the meantime I applied this regularly every evening and about two months later I was told I looked really well-rested (surprisingly so for a new mum) and my skin felt nice and supple again. I don't know what effect it has on wrinkles as I don't really have a way of observing that on my face, since mine are fairly small (I'm 35 and have very problem-free skin over all).

I used this on my breasts as well after my shower to try to attenuate the faint stretchmarks I developed in my pregnancy. I don't believe it has had much of an effect, except to stain my white cotton bras yellow and I haven't been able to wash that off.

I also noticed that it stained my white pillowcase and my nails if I didn't wash my hands after applying it. This is mentioned in the inset that comes in the packaging, so just be aware of that. It's not terrible, just slight staining from regular use.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2006 10:49:00 AM More reviews by sahyslop

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Let me start by saying I am using ystheal+cream on 56 year old skin. I am looking for overall evening of skintone and help with fine lines. This product delivers and then some. First, I have used Green Cream which worked for awhile and then I became super sensitive to it and stopped. I have used glycolic peels and other harsh treatments. This cream is rich, moisturizing and I woke up the first morning with amazingly plumped up skin. Since then I see daily improvement in tone, nearly invisible fine lines and a brighter complexion. I won't use anything else. There is absolutely NO irritation as with other retinol products. My skin is not very sensitive in general but I sometimes react when trying new things. This just went on like any other moisturizer and the results are breathtaking. If you are in your 40's, 50's or beyond...this is a must-try!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2006 5:53:00 AM More reviews by namm1gr1s

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this every other evening for the past three months and I really like it. When I first started using it I tried to use it every evening and it irritated my dry, sensitive skin. So then I started using it every three days and increased it to every other night and my skin looks brighter and my pores a bit cleaner. I really like this product you really need to use it consistly for about a month to see results but I think the results are worth it. I've used retinoids and Differin in the past but found them too harsh for my skin. Ystheal is a better option for my skin. I will stock up when I run out.