Coty Emeraude

3.4

Price: $

Price: $

OK a shadow of its former self, but still a pretty floriental that is streets ahead of some of the awful fruit/fizzy pop swill that some young ladies like to douse themselves in.

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

This scent isn't for me, personally, but I associate it with my classy, kindhearted, red-haired Southern grandmother who passed away several years ago. This is what she wore when she sat me on her lap when I was a wee girl. Recently, I bought a bottle of this for my own mother, because I knew it would remind her of her mom. My mom is allergic to perfume, but she does wear this one because it's so mild. I bought her the EDC version, and I'd buy it for her anytime again. I wouldn't wear this, because my memories are so strongly associated with the women of my family who raised me, and it remains "their" scent when they pass through my memories.

The old version of Emeraude was a classic which I loved in the 70s. The newer version (sold now) is urinacious skank. I'm only giving this 3 lippies because the newer version ruins Emeraude but I can't quite tank it (1 lippie) because the classic Emeraude (a vintage bottle I own) is so lovely.
There is a slight citrus veil when one first spritzes on vintage Emeraude. Quickly thereafter; beautiful woody accords come to the front. Classic Emeraude is a lovely warm floriental with soothing woodsy accords. It exudes simple class and elegance (despite it's price range, still a simply elegant classic).
I can only recommend Emeraude if you can find a vintage bottle. But then I can highly recommend it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is for the vintage version. This is one I associate with my grandmother. It was a soft, inexpensive floriental back then (70's), not too sweet. While Shalimar was always more beautiful, Emeraude was more wearable--none of the skank nor the odd disinfectant smell, just a pretty floriental. Unfortunately, the Emeraude sold today in drugstores and Walmart is NOT the same fragrance. It smells very chemical and cheap. Such a shame to lose such a beautiful fragrance loved by so many generations of women!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a review for vintage Emeraude (when it still came in a perfume or eau de parfum concentration, which hasn't happened since the late '80s). I found it on eBay for a song, and you can too if you're interested in classic fragrances. I must tell you that the Emeraude now sold in Walgreens at Christmas bears but slight resemblance to the old stuff, even if it has the Coty name on it. The current formulation has a jarring "antiseptic" note, like cheap lime cleanser, and has a urinaceous off-note when it dries down. The old stuff is smooth vanillic Oriental all the way, like Shalimar without the gasoline/burnt rubber accord. There is a pleasant citrus topnote but mostly I smell the opoponax and spicy base. Sweet, soft, and appealing. But ONLY the old stuff for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Yuck!!!! I haven't given this a sniff since the '80's when I'd see it in the drug stores and Woolworths. Old-lady!!!

When I first sprayed this it was a cloud of powdery citrus and I thought, Oh dear Im going to have to wash this off! Very quickly though, it softens down into a lovely, vanillic powdery oriental. Half an hour later it has softened so much that I have to put nose to wrist to smell it (i wish it had better staying power) but it is still there nonetheless. The citrus notes have disappeared (they hardly stayed for long anyway, just the initial spray) and all I can smell now are the base notes of amber, sandalwood, patchouli, opoponax, benzoin and vanilla. With a combination of such powerful base notes one would think it would be an overpowering oriental stink-bomb but they are very soft. Almost too soft for me. I hear that the original version is alot stronger and stays on longer, so if you want to buy perhaps try to find that version. I have a Cologne spray so that's probably the EDT, hence the poor staying power. However I am glad to have had opportunity to try this, I love vanilla and orientals and I will wear this until it runs out but not sure if I'll be purchasing again.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This wonderful scent has been a favorite for, gosh, must be 40 years now. Has the same wonderful impact now as then. Lovely bottle and great scent. Can't miss.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I had to buy a tiny falcon of Emeraude again after not wearing it for about 30 years. It still doesn't work for me. It's a cloying oriental with that musty note that won't quit. And it reminds me of a family acquaintance, long gone now, who use to wear Emeraude as her signature scent and had halitosis as well. That blend of the heady Emeraude with her bad breath is a scent memory I can't quite.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Emeraude is my favorite of the classic Coty frags, which also include L'Aimant, L'Origan, and Muguet des Bois. My mom used to call it "poor woman's Shalimar" (but she wore both!). I don't think they are all that comparable, though both are vanillic Orientals.

Emeraude is less complex than Shalimar; it pretty much smells like lemon cookies to me (the vanilla/citrus notes are equally prominent). I don't think it's very strong or overpowering; at least on me, it's a bit powdery and close to the skin, like musk oil. I have a little bottle in my glove box for when I forget to put on perfume at home. It's sweet, pleasant, and non-controversial. Not an everyday for me, but I do like it and it brings back good memories.

Popular Fragrances