November 22, 2014 | 1629 users online

Fragrances - Coty - Emeraude

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2010 3:46:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a review for vintage Emeraude (when it still came in a perfume or eau de parfum concentration, which hasn't happened since the late '80s). I found it on eBay for a song, and you can too if you're interested in classic fragrances. I must tell you that the Emeraude now sold in Walgreens at Christmas bears but slight resemblance to the old stuff, even if it has the Coty name on it. The current formulation has a jarring "antiseptic" note, like cheap lime cleanser, and has a urinaceous off-note when it dries down. The old stuff is smooth vanillic Oriental all the way, like Shalimar without the gasoline/burnt rubber accord. There is a pleasant citrus topnote but mostly I smell the opoponax and spicy base. Sweet, soft, and appealing. But ONLY the old stuff for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2009 3:25:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Yuck!!!! I haven't given this a sniff since the '80's when I'd see it in the drug stores and Woolworths. Old-lady!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2009 9:40:00 PM More reviews by 9154mf

When I first sprayed this it was a cloud of powdery citrus and I thought, Oh dear Im going to have to wash this off! Very quickly though, it softens down into a lovely, vanillic powdery oriental. Half an hour later it has softened so much that I have to put nose to wrist to smell it (i wish it had better staying power) but it is still there nonetheless. The citrus notes have disappeared (they hardly stayed for long anyway, just the initial spray) and all I can smell now are the base notes of amber, sandalwood, patchouli, opoponax, benzoin and vanilla. With a combination of such powerful base notes one would think it would be an overpowering oriental stink-bomb but they are very soft. Almost too soft for me. I hear that the original version is alot stronger and stays on longer, so if you want to buy perhaps try to find that version. I have a Cologne spray so that's probably the EDT, hence the poor staying power. However I am glad to have had opportunity to try this, I love vanilla and orientals and I will wear this until it runs out but not sure if I'll be purchasing again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2009 4:03:00 PM More reviews by nellie1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This wonderful scent has been a favorite for, gosh, must be 40 years now. Has the same wonderful impact now as then. Lovely bottle and great scent. Can't miss.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 10:00:00 PM More reviews by brownie_953

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I had to buy a tiny falcon of Emeraude again after not wearing it for about 30 years. It still doesn't work for me. It's a cloying oriental with that musty note that won't quit. And it reminds me of a family acquaintance, long gone now, who use to wear Emeraude as her signature scent and had halitosis as well. That blend of the heady Emeraude with her bad breath is a scent memory I can't quite.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2008 9:48:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Emeraude is my favorite of the classic Coty frags, which also include L'Aimant, L'Origan, and Muguet des Bois. My mom used to call it "poor woman's Shalimar" (but she wore both!). I don't think they are all that comparable, though both are vanillic Orientals.

Emeraude is less complex than Shalimar; it pretty much smells like lemon cookies to me (the vanilla/citrus notes are equally prominent). I don't think it's very strong or overpowering; at least on me, it's a bit powdery and close to the skin, like musk oil. I have a little bottle in my glove box for when I forget to put on perfume at home. It's sweet, pleasant, and non-controversial. Not an everyday for me, but I do like it and it brings back good memories.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2008 2:18:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Must be applied sparingly. Modern versions are lighter and less oriental than the vintage. Powdery, green, a strange but pleasant mix of citrus and opoponax-like notes, incense in the powder variety. Could easily smell old fashioned or cloying on the wrong chemistry and can DEFINITELY be overdone. And as a reviewer stated below, people seem to bathe in it sometimes. I think that's because it's not expensive and they're trying to make it last. The EdT doesn't last all day, but the newer versions are often made in China with Coty fragrance oils, so I don't know how accurate they are either. Tabu can also be found this way, with the fragrance oil shipped to China and then sold for $1 in the drugstores. They smell very like the originals, but I'd almost have to call them dupes instead of the real thing, no matter what the concentration. I personally like it in tiny doses in winter as it's comfortingly warm and fuzzy, with that greenish citrus to keep it from cloying. EDIT: Got my hands on vintage and I have to report that the updated formulation is fairly accurate, though lacking in depth and richness. The soapy lemon/citrus top note over the powdery opoponax resin is all there, smelling the same, but the vintage is just one step further into gorgeous. The $1 version is a good intro. if you like that, start hunting for the vintage: it's well worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2008 10:46:00 PM More reviews by sanfrancisco48

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My grandmother wore this fragrance exclusively until the day she died at the age of 102. I loved it on her! My father used to say she poured it on by the gallon, which wasn't all that far off the mark LOL!! It's a lovely fragrance, but only for the right ladies. Otherwise, it knocks you over and clears out your sinuses. (My gram died in 1996 and I haven't been able to be near the fragrance since then. She was my best friend.) I can only recommend this if you can wear a strong fragrance with panache!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2008 4:33:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This stinks bad. My mom likes this and that other stinky one, Tabu. I don't know which is worse. I guess on the right person it may smell okay, but I'm not sure. The bottle is nice, though. And it seems to last awhile on my mom.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2008 8:07:00 PM More reviews by RW28

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this was on sale after Christmas, so I bought a sample. at first I hated the smell, thought it was too "green"---but it dried down to a nice oriental smell....I like Shalimar usually, but I almost like this better. it's spicer, and just as complex.