July 29, 2014 | 1944 users online

Styling Products - Sebastian - Potion 9

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by krdortch

I just used this product the first time this past weekend. Smells great and yes a little goes a long way! You don't have to use much of this product (in fact I will use less next time). I put on my hair after leave-conditoner before I blow dry it out. My hair was pretty smooth and hydrated. It has been pretty humid some days and my hair has not gotten frizzy at all. I love it! I bought this at ULTA and it definetly wasn't cheap. I might give the Sally brand a whirl based on other reviews.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2012 9:34:00 PM More reviews by sefis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I give the Generic sally beauty version of this product 4 stars because it is cheap and it works pretty good as a styling product when you want some control but not much hold.

I give the the sebastian version 2 stars due to the high cost for what is an outdated, lackluster formulation when considered as a treatment/conditioner. This product uses cationic guar which is known to build up on hair, and can only be effectively removed by certain surfactants which are somewhat harsh (like sodium lauryl sulfate). So if you use this you should use only a small amount and also be sure to use a clarifying shampoo once a week to remove the buildup.

If you are using this product as a styling product primarily then I recommend the generic version at Sally. If you are more concerned with conditioning than styling then I would recommend looking elsewhere, the CHI color protect leave-in treatment masque is a similar product with a better formulation in my opinion, wish they made a generic version of that one =)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2011 3:55:00 PM More reviews by TopNote

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

One of the few products that leave my 4b kinky, coily hair glossy. I use it as a leave in, styling cream and gel. I apply to my hair while its soaking wet, as that seems to give me the best curl definition, and let it air dry undisturbed. I love the fragrance, too. I was able to get 2 tubes of this at Marshalls heavily discounted.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2011 3:59:00 AM More reviews by blondex199667

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My hair is colored, baby fine, stick straight and there's a lot of it. It's fairly short- the longest layers are no more than 4", tops and the sides are much shorter.
P9 is my favorite product for when I want control but not hold, which is most days. It adds significant volume and leaves a healthy, natural shine. It grooms my hair well but isn't at all sticky or stiff so I still get some movement.
As others have mentioned, a little goes a long way. If you're having problems with it, try using a bit less.
Personally, I think any product that's been around as long as P9 obviously has something to offer or it would have been discontinued. If you're looking for a conditioning grooming cream, this classic is totally worth a try!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2011 2:03:00 PM More reviews by GetLowxX

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

My mom used to use this on my hair when I was very young and I always wondered why she felt the need to slather my hair with styling products when I was young! But now many years later as an adult, I've started using Potion 9 and LOVE this stuff. It looks like orange goo when it comes out of the packaging, but it smells wonderful and it feels great in my hair. I usually put this on my hair before I blow dry and it seems to help cut the drying time down and make my hair more manageable. It makes flat ironing a breeze too. After using Potion 9 and styling my hair, my hair is sleek, shiny and feels amazing. No frizz, just smooth hair! Love this stuff!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2011 4:48:00 AM More reviews by cazmat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Ewwwch. Gross. I remember my mum using this back in the 90's (the decade that gave us mall hair - err warning bells!!) I thought I'd give it a go as I think some Sebastian products are quite good for my fine yet abundant, highlighted/stacked jaw length bob.
It hasn't changed a bit and is still the gross orange stinky goop I remember. After s&c'ing I applied a small amount to damp hair and blow dried, or attempted to, I could barely drag my brush through the tangly mess this turned my hair into. My hair is pretty easy to style into a zhuzzy do' but this made it dull limp straw like and generally gross. There are far more superior leave in treatments out there, read anti-snap, ciment thermique etc. This is a dated product that is over priced and best consigned back to the decade it came from. I threw mine out straight away, don't waste your money ladies! BUH BYE! :) x

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2011 12:20:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Sally Beauty sells a knock-off version of this that works called "GVP Leave-In Treatment - Compare to Sebastian Potion 9". It works just as well as the original that I once used to use with good/better ingredients - for $5 in a huge tube. I like this product for applying to damp hair before a blow out.It definitely smooths and detangles upon application, but it doesn't block humidity like Phytodefrisiant.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2011 11:00:00 AM More reviews by Meekaboo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is about as close to an HG product as I get with my hair. I've been using this faithfully for years on my wavy/curly, coarse yet thin, color treated hair. It acts more like a leave-in conditioner imo than a styling treatment but it definitely helps to keep my hair soft and tame.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2011 10:10:00 AM More reviews by clsp88

Its an average product, i have slightly wavy hair, coloured and it just does do much for my hair.
i do however enjoy the fact that it tames the fly aways
however it absorbs quite quickly, maybe even before i work it into my hair.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2011 2:45:00 AM More reviews by fionamimi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

A little bit goes a long, long way!
Provides control for your hair, weightless styling, great for blow drys especially round brushing. I really like to mix this with the stylixer or the taming exlixr that Sebastian also makes.

It is pretty moisturizing and if you're using too much, you'll know because the weightless styling becomes heavy.