Sebastian Potion 9

4.1

Water, Glycerin, Guarhydroxypropyltrimonumchloride, Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Fragrance, Panthenol, Imdazoudinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate 60, Propylparaben, Olive Fruit Oil, Orbigyna Olefera Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Disodium EDTA, Stearalkonum Chloride, Sesame Seed Oil, Ethyl Hexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rice Bran Oil, Citric Acid, Orange 4, Camellia Sinesis Extract, Willow Bark Extract, Ext. Violet 2, Red 40 (2012 formula)

on 8/23/2012 5:27:00 PM

I don't get the love for this product. It makes my hair crunchy and stiff, it doesn't feel moisturized at all. Even the bottle doesn't say what it is for (maybe the orig. packaging did, if it had any?). Is it protein? Moisture? Heat protectant? Styling aid? ???

on 8/10/2012 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I felt a bit of buyer's remorse immediately after purchasing this but after seeing the results, I am floored. I can't recall the last time I have experienced such fantastic results from a styling product. I have been growing out my hair and was feeling that it was looking a little dry and drab and really just lifeless. This product has done wonders at bringing it back to life and making it smooth and healthy looking. It also smells amazing. This was well worth the money.

on 7/3/2012 6:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I was a bit apprehensive when I squeezed the product out of the tube and it turned out to be bright orange and sticky. It also smelled a bit funky. However once I rubbed it into my hair (fine and slightly wavy, a bit on the dry side) it worked wonders. It just added a bit of volume and made my hair look so moisturized and healthy I've had several people ask me what I did to my hair recently. Packaging isn't great; I have to peel of product residue from the bottle occasionally because the pump is kind of weird, but overall it's a really good product.

on 3/11/2012 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I started using this on my fine/thin/curly hair a few months ago as a heat protectant for blowdrying. My hairdresser is using MoroccanOil on my hair but I read about P9 in a Paula Begoun review when the line was reformulated and re-launched in 2010 and decided to try this instead. I've updated the ingredient listing to the new formula. From what I can see, the Sally generic product is the old formulation. Paula Begoun had high praise the new P9 formulation and I'm glad I tried it. Just two pumps makes my hair healthy and shiny looking without weighing it down. And my hair is in good condition despite blowing it out every other day. The only thing I don't like about P9 is the strong fragrance. My skin is sensitive and while this isn't as bad as an Aveda product, I wish there was less irritating fragrance. I now know why P9 is such well known product -- it really is great.

on 2/27/2012 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I just used this product the first time this past weekend. Smells great and yes a little goes a long way! You don't have to use much of this product (in fact I will use less next time). I put on my hair after leave-conditoner before I blow dry it out. My hair was pretty smooth and hydrated. It has been pretty humid some days and my hair has not gotten frizzy at all. I love it! I bought this at ULTA and it definetly wasn't cheap. I might give the Sally brand a whirl based on other reviews.

on 2/16/2012 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I give the Generic sally beauty version of this product 4 stars because it is cheap and it works pretty good as a styling product when you want some control but not much hold.

I give the the sebastian version 2 stars due to the high cost for what is an outdated, lackluster formulation when considered as a treatment/conditioner. This product uses cationic guar which is known to build up on hair, and can only be effectively removed by certain surfactants which are somewhat harsh (like sodium lauryl sulfate). So if you use this you should use only a small amount and also be sure to use a clarifying shampoo once a week to remove the buildup.

If you are using this product as a styling product primarily then I recommend the generic version at Sally. If you are more concerned with conditioning than styling then I would recommend looking elsewhere, the CHI color protect leave-in treatment masque is a similar product with a better formulation in my opinion, wish they made a generic version of that one =)

on 12/28/2011 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

One of the few products that leave my 4b kinky, coily hair glossy. I use it as a leave in, styling cream and gel. I apply to my hair while its soaking wet, as that seems to give me the best curl definition, and let it air dry undisturbed. I love the fragrance, too. I was able to get 2 tubes of this at Marshalls heavily discounted.

on 11/15/2011 3:59:00 AM

My hair is colored, baby fine, stick straight and there's a lot of it. It's fairly short- the longest layers are no more than 4", tops and the sides are much shorter.
P9 is my favorite product for when I want control but not hold, which is most days. It adds significant volume and leaves a healthy, natural shine. It grooms my hair well but isn't at all sticky or stiff so I still get some movement.
As others have mentioned, a little goes a long way. If you're having problems with it, try using a bit less.
Personally, I think any product that's been around as long as P9 obviously has something to offer or it would have been discontinued. If you're looking for a conditioning grooming cream, this classic is totally worth a try!

on 10/30/2011 2:03:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

My mom used to use this on my hair when I was very young and I always wondered why she felt the need to slather my hair with styling products when I was young! But now many years later as an adult, I've started using Potion 9 and LOVE this stuff. It looks like orange goo when it comes out of the packaging, but it smells wonderful and it feels great in my hair. I usually put this on my hair before I blow dry and it seems to help cut the drying time down and make my hair more manageable. It makes flat ironing a breeze too. After using Potion 9 and styling my hair, my hair is sleek, shiny and feels amazing. No frizz, just smooth hair! Love this stuff!

on 8/7/2011 4:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Ewwwch. Gross. I remember my mum using this back in the 90's (the decade that gave us mall hair - err warning bells!!) I thought I'd give it a go as I think some Sebastian products are quite good for my fine yet abundant, highlighted/stacked jaw length bob.
It hasn't changed a bit and is still the gross orange stinky goop I remember. After s&c'ing I applied a small amount to damp hair and blow dried, or attempted to, I could barely drag my brush through the tangly mess this turned my hair into. My hair is pretty easy to style into a zhuzzy do' but this made it dull limp straw like and generally gross. There are far more superior leave in treatments out there, read anti-snap, ciment thermique etc. This is a dated product that is over priced and best consigned back to the decade it came from. I threw mine out straight away, don't waste your money ladies! BUH BYE! :) x

Top Rated Sebastian Products