April 18, 2014 | 1853 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Neostrata - Smoothing Lotion - AHA 10

rated 2 of 5 on 8/16/2010 8:48:00 PM More reviews by genahy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The fact that I have to write this review saddens me. I wanted to love Neostrata Smooting Lotion. I do well with AHAs, and I have tolerated 10% AHA on my chin before with little problem. But I think the addition of citric acid really makes this product bad. Citric acid, as I understand, is a form of lemon juice, and this really feels like you are putting lemon juice on your face. In the first week the stinging is bad. Then the stinging subsides, but I found I was constantly getting red marks/blotches from this product, due to irritation, and that scared the crap out of me. However, I do have rosacea and sensitive skin, so if you have very tough skin this might be worth it. I am still holding on to my bottle because it really helped fade some post acne marks, helped my acne, and maybe I'll be able to spot treat or use on a once a week basis. You definitely get your money's worth, it's a HUGE pump, for about twenty five bucks, but if you have sensitive skin, it's a risk. If you used this twice a day, per the instructions, you'd be fried.

UPDATE: Taking off a lippie, as I realize this product may have been responsible for some breakouts as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2010 12:23:00 PM More reviews by Apheo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Made my skin radiant and moisturize well. It has cleared my stubborn blackheads, making more face smoother. love it! :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2010 8:28:00 PM More reviews by rigantona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I adore this product - it's changed my life, seriously. The old me would spend a fortune on hyped up beauty products; i tried everything. I've never had 'problem' skin, but i always felt it could look a little brighter, be a little smoother. My dermatologist put me onto this as an alternative to Vitamin a cream (which irritated my ever so slightly sensitive skin) and used in conjunction with cetaphil for oily skin, my skin has never been better.

A little goes a long way and be careful around the eye area. I only use it at night and i always use a sunscreen during the day. I had no problem adjusting to the use of this, but have used glycolic products before with no trouble. I find it reasonably priced ($35) considering how long it lasts - i only wish it came in a pump pack which would be slightly more hygienic (although packaging is pretty good).

Overall, the changes to my skin have all been for the better - it's clearer, it feels like silk, i don't get breakouts or redness, it's less irritated and i've gone from a little bit of T zone shine by the end of the day to none what so ever.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2010 1:30:00 AM More reviews by hills03

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My HG of all products. Completely cleared my skin and friends. As an Esthetician I have tried practically everything to no avail. This works for me every time. I would recommend to everyone and do so daily. Works better than most high end spa brands. Love it forever.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2010 4:48:00 PM More reviews by designerskyline

I bought this after someone working in the beauty department at Shoppers Drug Mart recommended it to me when I said I wanted to get rid of my uneven skin tone problem (especially around my mouth/chin). I used it twice a day, before applying makeup and after removing it at night. I would NOT recommend wearing it under makeup as it looks a bit glittery/shiny and made my makeup slide off. It has a burning sensation the first few times you use it but your skin gets used to it. I only really noticed a difference after about 3 weeks. My skin tone was a lot more even, it faded my acne scars, and my skin feels SO much smoother. I don't need to use as much concealer now. I only use it at night now as it's not good under makeup (made me break out.) After switching to only using it on bare skin at night, my acne has also cleared up a lot. Maybe it's the Bath & Body Works Tea Tree Oil Face Clearing wash, but whatever. They work well together. I will be trying Clinique's Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector after this runs out. Oh, this also lasts a LONG time. I have about half the container left and I've been using it at least once a day for over a month now. You only need a little bit. :)
Overall, a good buy for $40.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2009 11:06:00 AM More reviews by sterlingK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

I am using the oil free pump bottle version of this. I have been using it for a few weeks now and it's really making a difference in my skin. At first I had some slight breakouts but nothing major, after the first few days the breakout was gone and I have not had one since. My skin is smooth, super soft and the redness/scarring that was on my cheeks has faded significantly. I have not gotten a single blemish since the initial breakout, I will get the beginnings of a pimple and then when I apply this product at night (I only apply it at night) it goes away completely. It does not make my oily skin any worse (or better, it's the same). I am using this product at night after I apply Body Shop Tea tree oil toner, I am no longer using any other products to combat my acne. Would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2009 1:27:00 PM More reviews by vanitygal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Very impressed with this product after 1st week of application.

****************************************
EDIT:

OMG i was just washing my face in the bathroom i have not felt my skin feel smooth in last 15 years....I LOVE THIS PRODUCT....WOW....IT MAKES MY SKIN SO SMOOTH.....INCREDIBLE...I CANT HELP TOUCHING MY SKIN, MAKES IT SOOOOOOOO unbelievably SMOOTH!!!

instead of dreading to look at the state of my skin in the mirror in the mornings i actually look forward to seeng how much my skin has cleared up now, and it keeps my skin from gettng oily during the day.

NEVER experienced this with any facial/product,/ treatment . green peel,,micro dermabrasion..light therapy..and high end skin care lines....(.which have all burned a hole in my pocket..).....i am astonished and marvelled with this product....WOW....i am so excited i am goin to investigate further into other neostrata products.

**********************************************************************

I have had some success from other high strength AHA creams that were prescribed by my dermatologist in the past- However, those ones stung like crzy upon application, which caused great discomfort and took several LONg minutes to subside. The texture was no good to adhering to my foundation, ...............essentially it was a pain to apply,,and gradually i was perturbed.

Thats why i have been eager to write a comment, commending the merits of this lotion.

This is my first neostrata product, and i am soooo impressed. There is a mild sting, but i would say it is only a slight bite, and subsides very very quickly, totally bareable for the effectiveness this product delivers.

Absorbs fast, translucent colour, texture is easy to work with, and works wonderfully under makeup, as it leaves a matt surface and controls oil production as well. Virtually undetectable, dare i say even makes the make up stay put too...so works as a good matifying primer too.

I think this is rather cheap for a 10% AHA lotion...and esp one that works!!! i bought mine for approx $40 aud @ chemist warehouse.

It has helped keep my skin smooth, due to unclogging pores, and my skin no longer looks congested like before its use. I think it helps prevent new pimples from rearing their ugly heads, and keeps me shine free and pretty matt.

I use to use retin A to get my pores unclogged, however there was the ugly flaking that would happen, whilst i have not experienced any flaking with this product, and safer than retin A for those whom wish to conceive / get pregnant.

I cant wait to try out Neostratas other products, and once my skin adapts to this 10% i will try the 15%.

If you are an acne sufferer i do recommend this product, as i genuinely belive lotion exfoliators are a great ally to any benzolyl/acne treamtent regimen. esp when ur skin is too raw for mechanical granule scrubs.

But if you have sensitive skin best to use this every second night untill skin develops tolerance. Or,,,,if ur skin reacts badly like mine use to towards similar products ...try diluting with QV cream or Cetaphil lotion, or cream from Avene line,,,,(Avene have some great creams 4 sensitive skin ) just some cream that is good for sensitive skin and states "non comodogenic.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2009 8:20:00 AM More reviews by elchan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a really good lotion. best ive tried by far. at the beggining of the year i broke out REALLY bad, like i never have before, and once they cleared up, ive been stuck with scars. since using this product (probebly been about 3-4 weeks now) my scars are finally fading. cant really comment on it smoothing my skin, because ive fortunetly got really smooth feeling skin anyway. for the people complaining its breaking them out, stick with it. its apparently SUPPOSED to break you out the first couple of weeks (for some people even longer) because its getting all the crap outa your skin. its bringing it all to the surface. but dont worry, it will go away. im waiting to see if it will do anything for some open pores i have on my cheeks now. dont know if it will, but others are saying they saw a difference with it.
will definetly buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2009 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Delizzie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, when people said it left their skin soft I assumed that came with regular use, but I have just applied this lotion for the very first time and as soon as it dried my skin felt...almost silky. Gorawww...haha. Seriously tho, the consistency is thin and light, which is great because a small amount goes a long way ( I did my whole body with two walnut sized amounts). My only gripe is the price, $47?!? Knowing that there are comparable products for around $10 out there (aqua glycolic, vaseline..) bites a little..unfortunately those products do not range here in Australia. Still a good product and I will update after using it for a bit longer.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2009 10:04:00 PM More reviews by bbBearBear

I am reviewing the oil free, no spf one. The pump is great. Like many other reviewers, I have acne-prone skin. This is a miracle. My forehead is completely clear with occasional small pimps around my hair line. I use the level one on my cheeks, and this level 3 on my forehead, nose and chin. It doesn't help with my blackhead unfortunately. But I find I don't need to scrub as often after using this (decreased from twice to once per week). I don't feel any burning senstaion. Because I've been suffering from acne since teenage years, I used many different medicines to treat it. My forehead is left in bad condition: scars, rough, uneven texture, large visible pores, fine lines. After using it twice a day for 3 weeks, the roughness and visible pores are gone. I still had some small pimps flaring up on my T zone. After 4 weeks, pimps and scars are all gone. Skin texture greatly improved and fine lines are gone. Now I have the confidence to pull all my hair back in a pony tail. I reduced my application to once per day and uses Body Shop Tea Tree oil lotion at night. Hopefully, this way my face won't get used to the 10% so quick. I would recommend this to everyone who is suffering from acne.