August 20, 2014 | 1784 users online

Lotions/ Creams - L'Occitane - 20% Shea Butter Hand Cream

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by thirdsword

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently went through a sample of the 20% Shea Butter Hand Cream that I had acquired during a grand opening. This winter has been colder than usual, and as a result my already dry hands, arms, and legs have become even more parched, so I used up the 3mL sachet all over my body.

I'm extremely impressed with the formula. It absorbed quickly, leaving my skin soft, but not greasy. I especially love what it did for my hands--normally I need quite a large blob of product, especially for my eczema patches, but with this a little went a long way.

The only thing?

The smell.

I generally don't let scents get in the way of liking a product, but the smell of this reminds me of baby toiletries. Even though I finished the sample, right after I had the urge to spray myself with perfume to cover up the baby lotion smell.

I'll have to try L'Occitane's other hand creams, but I heard that the others aren't as moisturizing, which I am inclined to believe due to differing ingredient lists--in fact I recall trying the almond milk cream and loving the scent but not being satisfied with its more watery texture. It seemed that most of the scent faded quickly, though, so I'll have to test the shea butter cream again in store, but if others can smell it on my hands from afar, I'll have to pass up on it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by cron

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I got this as a sample and loved it from the very first application. It's very moisturising but not oily, it sinks in very quickly. I even use it at work and I can go back to using my keyboard in about three minutes. I also love the smell, like a classic, clean smelling soap. Not overly perfumed, sweet nasty soap. I have not even considered looking at other hand creams since discovering this one!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 7:07:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using L'Occitane's 20% Shea Butter Hand Cream for 13 years, and back then a tube cost $16, now it is $28. That said, I have tried many other creams in the meantime in an attempt to find a replacement that I equally like at a lower cost, but no such luck. Couvent de Minimes' Honey Shea hand cream came very close (and Couvent de Minimes even turned out to be a subdivision of L'Occitane!), and I liked it because BBW carried it so it was conveniently available, but after a year BBW discontinued the line. Back to L'Occitane it was. What I appreciate most about this formula is its richness to soothe my very dry hands, and yet it leaves my hands soft but not sticky or greasy. Also, when washing my hands it does not give me the slippery feel that glycerin hand creams give me and that I truly detest. I am not a fan at all of the metal tube packaging. While it may appeal to some because of its "authentic, old-time" look, I find the little navy screwtop lid is not very practical and silver metal tube itself starts to look wrinkly and unsightly fairly rapidly. When flattening the tube it occasionally tears at the edges and the cream comes oozing out, not a good thing and I hate wasting any of this expensive product. But alas, the subpar packaging will not prevent me from repurchasing, even at this high price.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 6:55:00 AM More reviews by jealouspony

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Living in Sweden, my hands get really dry during the Winter. It's a real pain, because sometimes it's so bad I can almost feel my skin cracking.

A lot of hand creams and lotions settle in to the skin almost immediately and I feel like I have to put on hand cream again. This is not the case with the L'Occitane one. I put it on every morning and I can feel my hands being moisturized at least half the day.

I especially like putting it on before going to sleep, because my hands are super soft when I wake up. Always have a tube of this on my night stand.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2013 6:11:00 AM More reviews by MariaBraun

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I guess I am in the minority here but this cream did absolutely nothing for me. I wash my hands loads of times during the day as I have two small children so there is always some mess to clean. I had high hopes for this cream considering the good reviews, the high price and the fact that shea butter is one of the ingredients. Unfortunately it feels waxy and sort of sits on top of my skin. In fact after it finally dries my hands feel even drier than before applying it. The only thing I like about it is the baby powder smell. I will definitely not be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2013 11:56:00 AM More reviews by cathykl

This hand cream is amazing. Working in a hospital - I have to wash my hands a hundred times a day. I also have eczema so I need something to keep my hands soft without irritation.

I've used dozens of different types of hand cream but this one really stands out. It's thick and heavy and you just need a tiny bit. It spreads easily like butter, slightly greasy at first but sinks in pretty fast. I need to be able to slap on those annoying hospital gloves if necessary right after so I can't have a slick coating with hand cream - this is just perfect. Also, I've noticed this is the only cream that seems to "last" through washing. Meaning that if I wash my hands an hour after applying cream I don't need to re-apply. I've started using this on dry patches on my legs or arms because it worked so well on my hands.

The only cons? The fragrance. I'm not a big fan of the smell, it's not awful, smells slightly of lavender to me, and thankfully it's not strong but again, for work, the hospital bans any fragranced products so luckily this doesn't garner any complaints. The other issue is the tube - I'm on a new just opened tube now, but my last older tube cracked at the top and would leak some cream, plus the label fell off and left a sticky gunk on the tube that never went away. So it's not the most purse-friendly item, but then again I do buy this in the larger tube size and maybe the small one would be just fine. Overall -those are just minor complaints, this hand cream is the best I've tried so far.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2013 11:01:00 AM More reviews by vickyplum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best hand cream bar none - and I've used them all. Last thing at night before I go to bed and that's me done for the day. Smell gorgeous, sinks right in and makes your hands as soft as a baby's ...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2013 12:18:00 PM More reviews by GrRoxxy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I had small tube of this 4 years ago. Next time I bought it I chose the perfumed version (less she butter, more liquid, not good). Now I got the original back.

The tube is practical, I like the simplicity of it and it remains me of the painting tubes (love these).
The consistency is on thicker side, its not oily though.
It sinks in fast, it doesn't leave sticky film but silky smooth one.
The scent is pleasant.

I recommend, I haven't found better one.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2013 11:42:00 AM More reviews by glitterandsparkles42

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Best hand cream I've ever used. It's kind of expensive but it lasts for such a long time because it's so moisturizing you won't need a lot. Great for dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by JadaIgwe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a really moisturizing hand cream

The only con is that the smell is the scent is too strong. It is very rich and warming it up in your hands helps it absorb better. It comes in a large metal tube so it will last forever. It's a good hand cream for really dry hands