April 16, 2014 | 2023 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No 5 Sensual Elixir

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2009 12:31:00 PM More reviews by Naked_Maja

I wanted so much to like this, but when I put it on my wrists, all I really smell is something a lot like tar. How could that be? Maybe it's from a bad batch? Even though I can't see wearing this scent, I'll keep it for the classy looking bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 11:01:00 AM More reviews by ljlw0629

Which fragrance to wear on these bitter cold, snowy days? Yesterday, I thought perhaps one of my "summer" fragrances would transport me to a warmer state of mind - well, that did not work! Last night after a warm shower, I reached for one of my favorites - Bois Blond. Instead, the "warm" Chanels beckoned. Not a Cristalle or No. 19 day; not Coco Mademoiselle (why did I buy this one when I wanted Cuir de Russie? Nice, but I recognize it on too many other women.), No. 5? (a lovely classic that is just "too much", whatever that means) - No. 5 Sensual Elixir? - hmmmm.......love the sensual pleasure of using a dabber to apply; perfect for someone like me who can be heavy-handed with a spray. The scent? - just what I wanted - warm, lovely, sexy, a neck nuzzler. Still a lovely whiff remaining this morning. Since it is another snowy day, I dab on more Sensual Elixir and remind myself that this is one to reach for a bit more often. I have been vacillating about Eau Premiere. Perhaps it will be my other No. 5.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2008 12:10:00 PM More reviews by Lepin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Classic Chanel #5 doesn't agree with my chemistry and is reminiscent of the elderly. Sensuale Elixir changed my mind about #5 entirely. I will admit, it was the ad campaign featuring fellow PPP blonde goddess Nicole Kidman that swayed me to test. That said, Sensual Elixir is just that. No mature musty rose dry down, this is vibrant but not sporty. I love the alcohol free gel texture that the fragrance is suspended in. Lasting power is great, if I didn't know better I'd think it was timed released. I do get some green notes but nothing metallic or offensive. This is an intimate floral that applies effortlessly to pulse points and releases a complex intimate floral that is elegant beyond compare.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2008 4:51:00 PM More reviews by JanM

I have had a bit of a #5 overload trying to find the form of #5 which suits me best, and settled on the Elixir.
On me the EDT and pure parfum were too much (I did test them both at the same time...whoops!) and all I got was hot dusty old books, not completely unpleasant, but a bit stiffling and with asthma I worried that I wouldn't be able to breathe.
The soap has a fresher scent and that is what I am after. I sort of get it with the talc, but because I have overdosed on the EDT + pure parfum, I get the hot dusty old books again, albeit on a quieter scale.
However the Elixir is fine, I can breathe, I get a perfume smell, I love the fact that I can dab it on where I want to, and so don't get swamped.
My only problem is that it is a bit elusive and I find myself chasing it around my wrist trying to get a good whiff - people can smell it on me, but I can't smell it on myself. Still it is 50 for 50mls and I can't see myself running out any time soon.
I've given it a 4, as it's not quite there yet, but I would urge anyone who likes the idea of #5, but can't take the fragrance forms to try the Elixir as it may work for you.
I am looking forward to trying the Eau Premiere which I am reliably informed is on Chanel counters in UK on 27th October of this year.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2008 7:28:00 PM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Since the regular No. 5 will not work on me (even in parfum), I decided to try this. It is more flowery than the regular formula and lacks the urine note that No. 5 can develop on me in the drydown, but it retains the "plastic" aspect. Also, I found the texture not "sensual," but slimy and slow to dry..

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2008 10:19:00 AM More reviews by smudged_eyeliner

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this! Im not that keen on the actual No 5 perfume...but this smells a lot less old fashioned. It smells more 'creamy' if you know what i mean lol its hard to describe it just smells a lot warmer than the perfume, it lasts really well and the bottle is so glamorous. Its a very sexy scent I think. Dont be put off if you dont like the No 5 fragrance as I think its alot better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 8:38:00 AM More reviews by hesterC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Tried this in store only. (I don't know No. 5 well, to give some context.)
I truly don't understand the hype. This is nothing but a lovely, light musk. You could spend a tenth of the price and still smell largely similar! I really, truly don't think No. 5 is all that special, and though I really like the softness of this version, it's not a keeper just because suddenly it's in oil form. Would wear it if gifted it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2008 12:52:00 AM More reviews by Angela1013

This is what No.5 should smell like IMO. The jasmine is very well defined and reminds me of the No. 5 Eau Premier's refreshing contrast. The pamplet in the box says the elixir contains raw ingredients that may turn the color darker over time but in no way effects the great scent. Although this is a great version of No. 5, I don't think I would buy this again because I get a slight redness on my skin after using it and I wish the scent would last longer, one lippie off for that..bummer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2008 10:45:00 AM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product after reading some good reviews and testing it at the Chanel counter. I am a huge Chanel fragrances fan, and I used to wear classic #5 for many years, however, in the last few years I've stopped as something has either changed in my body chemistry or the fragrance itself, but it stopped smelling on me the way it did before. I think it just became way too strong for me, but I could be wrong. In any case, the Elixir is just perfect. It has none of the "headache-inducing" notes that you get when you put on the original #5, yet the beautiful dried-down scent of Chanel 5 is available immediately. On top of that, I am noticing a floriental note I didn't notice before with the regular #5, but I could be wrong. I wish it had a slightly longer-staying power, but I took the advice of one of the reviewers below and will pour some in a roller bottle to carry with me. I have to touch it up in the pm, but I don't mind (normally, I buy frangrances you don't have to touch up). This is now a staple in my fragrance collection.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2008 9:00:00 AM More reviews by Shwets

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my second bottle as I had to part with my first when I left it behind when abroad. Now this is happy days for those of you who cannot wear no 5 in general be it in terms of lasting power or the scent itself. I always loved no 5 but it didnt last on me, ending up smelling woody powdery on me. I would be so envious of those who could wear it and it would smell baby powdery but with a richness about it on them. Mind you a lot of people would not want that! But i did. Anyway demeters baby powder helped a bit. I wear coco (both ones) well. Now going back to the no 5 elixir it glides onto the skin and with time it becomes a warm pleasant comforting scent that no 5 on me lacks. In fact they are separate fragrances to me and on me. The elixir is so luxurious. I wish it lasted longer but still had to give 5 lippes because its so gorgeous.

UPDATE (03/05/08): This gives me a headache and is not long lasting so i have taken a lippy of to four.