Chanel No 5 Sensual Elixir

4.4

Yes it smells heavenly and I'm very addicted to it, but it lasts no more than 1 hour on me!!! If anyone can tell me how to make it last longer than 4 or 5 hours, like my Guerlain, Lancome, or even DKNY fragrances, I'll definitely give it a 5, or even a 10, if I can, and repurchase again!!

I was going to write that this was my "gateway" fragrance to the original No. 5, but luvbug beat me to it. I lusted after Elixir for a while, finally bought it, and very soon started craving the original. I am now absolutely in love with the EDP, can't get enough of it.

Elixir is soft and beautiful, but for me, doesn't have much impact or last very long. I love the bottle and its elegant stopper, and the consistency is lovely. It makes a good "personal" scent to appreciate by yourself -- you may find yourself frequently sniffing your wrist or the crook of your elbow -- but none of the wonderful sillage of original No. 5.

A wonderful complement, and a lovely, light, comforting fragrance to apply after a shower or even before bed.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Other, Fine

This is the best fragrance for me. Smells soft and sweet, like a little bunny. I love wearing this with a soft pink angora sweater and camel colored slacks. I ALWAYS receive compliments where I wear this but that is not the most important thing,,,it smells divine and makes me feel sexy and beautiful. I can't help but smile all way when I know that I smell so scrumptious! I would give this 10 lippies if I could....

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had to have the bottle, with its darling little stopper. And I don't mind that this stuff has the texture of hair gel (not my idea of sensuality). But what I really like about this scent is the way that it develops this heartbreaking thread of bitterness right in the middle that you can only smell if you're not sniffing for it. It's the perfect counterpoint to the way the aldehydes smooth this composition out into this sort of rolling, seamless, modern thing that you get the strange feeling is supposed to be functional, like an overly designed modern chair. I live for the transient bitter note when I wear this.

I wanted so much to like this, but when I put it on my wrists, all I really smell is something a lot like tar. How could that be? Maybe it's from a bad batch? Even though I can't see wearing this scent, I'll keep it for the classy looking bottle.

Which fragrance to wear on these bitter cold, snowy days? Yesterday, I thought perhaps one of my "summer" fragrances would transport me to a warmer state of mind - well, that did not work! Last night after a warm shower, I reached for one of my favorites - Bois Blond. Instead, the "warm" Chanels beckoned. Not a Cristalle or No. 19 day; not Coco Mademoiselle (why did I buy this one when I wanted Cuir de Russie? Nice, but I recognize it on too many other women.), No. 5? (a lovely classic that is just "too much", whatever that means) - No. 5 Sensual Elixir? - hmmmm.......love the sensual pleasure of using a dabber to apply; perfect for someone like me who can be heavy-handed with a spray. The scent? - just what I wanted - warm, lovely, sexy, a neck nuzzler. Still a lovely whiff remaining this morning. Since it is another snowy day, I dab on more Sensual Elixir and remind myself that this is one to reach for a bit more often. I have been vacillating about Eau Premiere. Perhaps it will be my other No. 5.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Classic Chanel #5 doesn't agree with my chemistry and is reminiscent of the elderly. Sensuale Elixir changed my mind about #5 entirely. I will admit, it was the ad campaign featuring fellow PPP blonde goddess Nicole Kidman that swayed me to test. That said, Sensual Elixir is just that. No mature musty rose dry down, this is vibrant but not sporty. I love the alcohol free gel texture that the fragrance is suspended in. Lasting power is great, if I didn't know better I'd think it was timed released. I do get some green notes but nothing metallic or offensive. This is an intimate floral that applies effortlessly to pulse points and releases a complex intimate floral that is elegant beyond compare.

I have had a bit of a #5 overload trying to find the form of #5 which suits me best, and settled on the Elixir.
On me the EDT and pure parfum were too much (I did test them both at the same time...whoops!) and all I got was hot dusty old books, not completely unpleasant, but a bit stiffling and with asthma I worried that I wouldn't be able to breathe.
The soap has a fresher scent and that is what I am after. I sort of get it with the talc, but because I have overdosed on the EDT + pure parfum, I get the hot dusty old books again, albeit on a quieter scale.
However the Elixir is fine, I can breathe, I get a perfume smell, I love the fact that I can dab it on where I want to, and so don't get swamped.
My only problem is that it is a bit elusive and I find myself chasing it around my wrist trying to get a good whiff - people can smell it on me, but I can't smell it on myself. Still it is 50 for 50mls and I can't see myself running out any time soon.
I've given it a 4, as it's not quite there yet, but I would urge anyone who likes the idea of #5, but can't take the fragrance forms to try the Elixir as it may work for you.
I am looking forward to trying the Eau Premiere which I am reliably informed is on Chanel counters in UK on 27th October of this year.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Since the regular No. 5 will not work on me (even in parfum), I decided to try this. It is more flowery than the regular formula and lacks the urine note that No. 5 can develop on me in the drydown, but it retains the "plastic" aspect. Also, I found the texture not "sensual," but slimy and slow to dry..

I love this! Im not that keen on the actual No 5 perfume...but this smells a lot less old fashioned. It smells more 'creamy' if you know what i mean lol its hard to describe it just smells a lot warmer than the perfume, it lasts really well and the bottle is so glamorous. Its a very sexy scent I think. Dont be put off if you dont like the No 5 fragrance as I think its alot better.

Popular Fragrances