Alba Botanica Sea Plus Renewal Night Cream

3.9

Not tested on animals

Ingredients Purified water, certified organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, glyceryl stearate SE, vegetable glycerin, aleurites moluccana seed oil, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, sorbitan stearate, stearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, mangifera indica (mango) seed butter, polysorbate 60, dimethicone, sorbitol, certified organic simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, stearic acid, squalane, sodium PCA, allantoin, alpha lipoic acid, DMAE, polysorbate 20, extracts of spirulina maxima (algae), ulva lactuca (sea lettuce), laminaria digitata (kelp), chondrus crispus (irish moss) and macrocystis pyrifera (kelp), citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit, cucumis sativus (cucumber) seed, arnica montana flower, anacyclus pyrethrum root and camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extracts, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C), phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, potassium sorbate, sodium hyaluronate and fragrance (parfum).5/23/09

on 7/15/2011 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really wanted to love this product because it's chock full of nutrients but it just doesn't sink into my skin. I've been using this as a night cream for a few months and each morning I wake up and wash my face and I'm basically washing off a slippery film. I think it was also causing my skin to become dehydrated because it wasn't absorbing and therefore causing me to become oily throughout the day.
I do not like the tub packaging. The smell wasn't really overpowering but nothing fantastic.
Using this in conjunction with the cleanser, toner and daily cream I did experience an evening of skin tone however I have found Burt's Bees Radiance line to really deliver in comparison to this and have switched.
I think this product will probably work well if you have SEVERELY dry/flaky skin but still unsure about the absorption.

on 6/26/2011 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I used this as a night cream. The smell is pleasant and the product feels rich and thick. I pat on a layer which sinks in during the night and leaves my face fresh on the morning (without a thick night cream I wake up with my cheeks covered in flakes). A bit more expensive per ounce than I like to pay, so I'm experimenting with other products, but I will come back to this unless I find a miracle product.

on 5/7/2011 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

this is a review i'll update later, as i've only used it 1 time on just a part of my face. i know that sounds silly, but i'm allergic to cucumbers, and this has cucumber extract in it, so i wanted to test it out 1st.luckily, no reaction, so i'll continue to use it :)

1st off, this is a "new and improved: version. the ingredients listed above are incorrect, and the new 1s are as follows:

Aqua (Water), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice(1), Anacyclus Pyrethrum Root Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract(1), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract(1), Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract(1), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract(1), Cucumuis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Enteromorpha Compressa Extract, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract, Spirulina Maxima Extract, Ulva Lactuca Extract(1), Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Allantoin, Ascorbic Acid, Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, Citric Acid, Diacetyl Boldine, DMAE Bitarate, Erythritol, Homarine HCL, Polysorbate 60, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium PCA, Sorbitol, Squalane, Thioctic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Xanthan Gum, Alcohol(1), Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Benzyl Benzoate, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Fragrance (Parfum).
(1)Certified Organic Ingredient
Standards
Hypo-allergenic
100% Vegetarian Ingredients
No: Animal Testing, Artificial Colors, Parabens, Phthalates, Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate or Sodium Methyl Sulfate.

my skin:
fair, slightly freckled and scarred from acne, combination, acne-prone, and sensitive from use og an AHA, BHA, Retin-A, and Taz. have used hydroquinone to fade most of my freckles, as well as some 12.5% TCA peels to help with scars and pigmentation.

what i expect(ed) of this product:
i came accross this when i was at target looking for regular night cremes for after peels and when my skin's just feeling especially dry. i wasnt necessarily looking for something to fade discooloration, just for lots of moisture. I have previously been using Burt's Bees Radiance Night Creme w/ Royal Jelly, but found that it wasnt all that great for sensitive skin, as it stung a little upon application, and the fragrance was kind of strong for me. it will be nice if this does even skintone, but just a bonus.

trial:
this has fragrance, but nothing extreme like some others below have noted. i dont know if its the new formula or what. but the smell is nowhere NEAR overpowering. There was no stinging when i applied it. it IS thick, but thats what i wanted in a night creme. i dont find it to be greasy at all. it doesnt all immediately sink right in, which i like. if it did that it wouldnt be moisturizing enough! i put it on after my shower and then went to bed an hour later, and by then it was sunk in enough to lay my face on my pillow without feeling like it was getting all rubbed off and going all over the place.
when i woke up this morning my face wasnt oily at all, just felt nicely moisturized. i have no reddness or irritation, and if it were going to cause me breakouts it would have already.

so far i'm giving this a 5 overall, and when i update afer a bit i'll adjust the rating if necessary.

on 4/24/2011 1:45:00 AM

This is a really really nice cream. I used it all up. It is super thick and creamy and feels so nourishing on your skin. Really nice for after a facial steam. I read a review below that said it stinks. I disagree. I found myself really liking the scent of this cream. I used it mostly at night before bed and I found the scent to be very soothing and calming. It smells almost earthy, I think it's all the seaweed and algae in it, because it almost smells like the beach. Not fake beach, but really natural smelling. I really enjoyed using this as a gentle eye makeup remover as well. Also as an eye moisturizer before undereye concealer. All around, a great buy and I plan on repurchasing again soon.

on 3/17/2011 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got this because of the super affordable price and the list of ingredients and benefits it offered. Unfortunately I have only been able to use it a few times because the smell is unbearable. It smells like aftershave, or one of those "ocean fresh" room sprays you keep in the bathroom. The smell is so strong that I recoil from the tub when I open it and then when I put it on my face I can smell it for a while afterwards, and it lingers on my fingers and then when I wash my face in the morning I can smell it again. Yuck. I have no idea why a company would put this amount of fragrance into something you use on your face.

It does make my skin feel smooth in the morning, but its not worth it. Returning, will never repurchase.

on 2/13/2011 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I always try to make this work but it never does. Not moisturizing enough and smells like laudry detergent.

on 2/1/2011 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This stuff is great. A little dab will do you-- emulsify on your fingertips first if you like, then apply. The non-greasy cream sinks right into my skin, leaving it smooth and silky. While it is mildly perfumed in the jar, I find the very light, pleasant smell disappears once it's applied. And the ingredients seem quality: no petroleum-based oils, etc. Sea Plus Renewal Cream is a luxurious skin cream that hydrates your skin beautifully, leaving it velvet-soft and glowy.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this on a whim because I'm in my late 20's and my skin is transitioning from oily/combo to dry/combo and is very sensitive. I have tried more moisterizers than I can count and they either break me out or make my skin itch. This moisterizer is the ONLY moisterizer I have ever used that has not broken me out once. I use it at night with a couple drops of Bio Oil and before applying my make up in the morning. Love it. :)

on 11/27/2010 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

[edit]: i've been using this product for awhile now, more than a month, & i am obsessed. this is most likely my HG. I have pretty fair skin, medium maybe, but with yellow undertones because i have some Asian heritage. But, i usually have rather red cheeks, just because my skin is sensitive & dry. So it's hard to find a product that moisturizes & doesn't irritate , or leave it taut. This has actually evened my skin tone to the point where I hardly even have to wear as much makeup, sometimes none. It has faded my small acne scars, just a few, & has even helped out my under eye bags [lack of sleep]. I'm so impressed. I was just happy for the moisture but all of these other effects are really nice. I have nice, glowing skin in the morning, which i never had before. I haven't developed any bumps like some others have said, & i normally react poorly to certain creams. I can't say enough good things for this product. I use it during the day as well because it's so cold & windy here that my skin is getting dry, & at night i add a drop or 2 of jojoba oil. I will definitely re-buy & am looking into the daily one with SPF. :)
it also works really well in conjunction with the Boots protect & perfect intense beauty serum, so my laugh lines & small lines from sun damage around my eyes are almost gone. this stuff is great!

I really like this product for a number of reasons. One, it has natural ingredients [mostly] & I've become more fond of putting natural stuff on my face/on my hair than a ton of chemicals. I like that it doesn't have parabens or any other kind of preservatives, since we all know how potentially bad those can be. Secondly, it wasn't terribly expensive for being a natural product, since I know those can run up a lot. It doesn't cost any more than a L'Oreal product, or any of those name brands. Mine only cost me around $15 at Target.

The product itself is indeed rather thick, like many people have already said, but I don't personally think that's any reason not to try it. It just takes a second to warm up between the fingers. I think its because it has mostly natural ingredients rather than the stuff that makes it more able to separate. But it's really not that hard to deal with. It feels really moisturizing when it's on. It's not too thick to where it feels like lard on your face :P
Sometimes I do dilute it a small bit with jojoba oil which makes it easier to spread in a pinch.

As for the claims, well, I always take those with a grain of salt. I've taken enough marketing classes in college to know that some of the things companies claim are never going to come true. This product is not going to make you look like you're fifteen again. I doubt any product will do that [other than a full facelift or botox]. So, I kind of get irked when I see people expecting over the moon results when I think the best you can hope for is good moisture & just more prevention. Preventing further wrinkles or sagging or whatever you're after is better than instant results. This gives me more plump, glowing skin, & i've seen a bit of a more even tone as well. To me that is results enough. Don't expect miracles since then you will always be disappointed. I'm 21 so I don't have a face full of wrinkles but I do have small fine lines/laugh lines, mostly from having played soccer for 11 years in the sun with no sunscreen, & having dehydrated skin. This moisturizer is a nice pick me up for my skin, & my skin also responds really well to natural ingredients. I haven't tried it much under my eyes, where I do have bags from lack of sleep [college haha], but then again I know that will be something I fix on my own.

It does feel a bit slick before I go to bed, but I'm used to that as well. When I wake up my skin isn't greasy or oily, just nice & glowy :) I don't use it during the day since it doesn't seem to sink into my skin fast enough, & I need a sunscreen. I was thinking of trying the other one for the day, since my Olay beauty fluid also has no sunscreen [& its...just alright]. The scent wasn't something I really noticed, not that much anyway. I smelled it, but it wasn't that overpowering like some people are saying. Scent isn't what really drives my reviews. If something works I don't care what it smells like as long as it fades. Honestly. So I think that it shouldn't be that big of a deal unless you are insanely sensitive to smells. I would buy this again & most likely will once mine runs out. :)

on 11/5/2010 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

**UPDATE** Giving this cream to my mother. Unfortunately, it makes me break out into small, red pimples over my cheeks. I only really use this cream around my cheek area, which makes me suspicious because I almost never break out.

I adore the texture and look of this cream! It hydrates ridiculously well and feels heavy to the touch, kind of like butter (but without the nasty oily aspect). It's helpful to warm it up between your fingers, but I don't find that necessary; the cream goes on my face just fine if I just rub it in gently in big circles (or tap it around the eye area).

I love, love, love the all natural ingredients, especially all the sea-related extracts. I was going through a horrible flare up because I seemed to be allergic to another cream, but when I put this one on, it just made my skin super smooth like baby skin. I've used it two nights in a row just around my eye and cheek area and when I woke up, those areas were noticeably smoother to the touch than the rest of my face. I'm not sure how often I will use it in the summer, but it's definitely going to be a staple for nighttimes and winter days. I love it!

Also, there is a faint, fresh, kelp-y kind of smell (which is appropriate, given what's in this), but I'm not sure why it's bothering some people. By the the time this cream goes on my skin, I don't smell anything.

Popular Moisturizers