September 23, 2014 | 2114 users online

Moisturizers - Alba Botanica - Sea Plus Renewal Night Cream

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2011 12:09:00 PM More reviews by kirstabelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this because of the super affordable price and the list of ingredients and benefits it offered. Unfortunately I have only been able to use it a few times because the smell is unbearable. It smells like aftershave, or one of those "ocean fresh" room sprays you keep in the bathroom. The smell is so strong that I recoil from the tub when I open it and then when I put it on my face I can smell it for a while afterwards, and it lingers on my fingers and then when I wash my face in the morning I can smell it again. Yuck. I have no idea why a company would put this amount of fragrance into something you use on your face.

It does make my skin feel smooth in the morning, but its not worth it. Returning, will never repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2011 10:46:00 AM More reviews by icit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I always try to make this work but it never does. Not moisturizing enough and smells like laudry detergent.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by feygeleh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great. A little dab will do you-- emulsify on your fingertips first if you like, then apply. The non-greasy cream sinks right into my skin, leaving it smooth and silky. While it is mildly perfumed in the jar, I find the very light, pleasant smell disappears once it's applied. And the ingredients seem quality: no petroleum-based oils, etc. Sea Plus Renewal Cream is a luxurious skin cream that hydrates your skin beautifully, leaving it velvet-soft and glowy.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2011 11:41:00 PM More reviews by orangepenguin20

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this on a whim because I'm in my late 20's and my skin is transitioning from oily/combo to dry/combo and is very sensitive. I have tried more moisterizers than I can count and they either break me out or make my skin itch. This moisterizer is the ONLY moisterizer I have ever used that has not broken me out once. I use it at night with a couple drops of Bio Oil and before applying my make up in the morning. Love it. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2010 8:50:00 PM More reviews by dainaleeo2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

[edit]: i've been using this product for awhile now, more than a month, & i am obsessed. this is most likely my HG. I have pretty fair skin, medium maybe, but with yellow undertones because i have some Asian heritage. But, i usually have rather red cheeks, just because my skin is sensitive & dry. So it's hard to find a product that moisturizes & doesn't irritate , or leave it taut. This has actually evened my skin tone to the point where I hardly even have to wear as much makeup, sometimes none. It has faded my small acne scars, just a few, & has even helped out my under eye bags [lack of sleep]. I'm so impressed. I was just happy for the moisture but all of these other effects are really nice. I have nice, glowing skin in the morning, which i never had before. I haven't developed any bumps like some others have said, & i normally react poorly to certain creams. I can't say enough good things for this product. I use it during the day as well because it's so cold & windy here that my skin is getting dry, & at night i add a drop or 2 of jojoba oil. I will definitely re-buy & am looking into the daily one with SPF. :)
it also works really well in conjunction with the Boots protect & perfect intense beauty serum, so my laugh lines & small lines from sun damage around my eyes are almost gone. this stuff is great!

I really like this product for a number of reasons. One, it has natural ingredients [mostly] & I've become more fond of putting natural stuff on my face/on my hair than a ton of chemicals. I like that it doesn't have parabens or any other kind of preservatives, since we all know how potentially bad those can be. Secondly, it wasn't terribly expensive for being a natural product, since I know those can run up a lot. It doesn't cost any more than a L'Oreal product, or any of those name brands. Mine only cost me around $15 at Target.

The product itself is indeed rather thick, like many people have already said, but I don't personally think that's any reason not to try it. It just takes a second to warm up between the fingers. I think its because it has mostly natural ingredients rather than the stuff that makes it more able to separate. But it's really not that hard to deal with. It feels really moisturizing when it's on. It's not too thick to where it feels like lard on your face :P
Sometimes I do dilute it a small bit with jojoba oil which makes it easier to spread in a pinch.

As for the claims, well, I always take those with a grain of salt. I've taken enough marketing classes in college to know that some of the things companies claim are never going to come true. This product is not going to make you look like you're fifteen again. I doubt any product will do that [other than a full facelift or botox]. So, I kind of get irked when I see people expecting over the moon results when I think the best you can hope for is good moisture & just more prevention. Preventing further wrinkles or sagging or whatever you're after is better than instant results. This gives me more plump, glowing skin, & i've seen a bit of a more even tone as well. To me that is results enough. Don't expect miracles since then you will always be disappointed. I'm 21 so I don't have a face full of wrinkles but I do have small fine lines/laugh lines, mostly from having played soccer for 11 years in the sun with no sunscreen, & having dehydrated skin. This moisturizer is a nice pick me up for my skin, & my skin also responds really well to natural ingredients. I haven't tried it much under my eyes, where I do have bags from lack of sleep [college haha], but then again I know that will be something I fix on my own.

It does feel a bit slick before I go to bed, but I'm used to that as well. When I wake up my skin isn't greasy or oily, just nice & glowy :) I don't use it during the day since it doesn't seem to sink into my skin fast enough, & I need a sunscreen. I was thinking of trying the other one for the day, since my Olay beauty fluid also has no sunscreen [& its...just alright]. The scent wasn't something I really noticed, not that much anyway. I smelled it, but it wasn't that overpowering like some people are saying. Scent isn't what really drives my reviews. If something works I don't care what it smells like as long as it fades. Honestly. So I think that it shouldn't be that big of a deal unless you are insanely sensitive to smells. I would buy this again & most likely will once mine runs out. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2010 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Lomelindi

**UPDATE** Giving this cream to my mother. Unfortunately, it makes me break out into small, red pimples over my cheeks. I only really use this cream around my cheek area, which makes me suspicious because I almost never break out.

I adore the texture and look of this cream! It hydrates ridiculously well and feels heavy to the touch, kind of like butter (but without the nasty oily aspect). It's helpful to warm it up between your fingers, but I don't find that necessary; the cream goes on my face just fine if I just rub it in gently in big circles (or tap it around the eye area).

I love, love, love the all natural ingredients, especially all the sea-related extracts. I was going through a horrible flare up because I seemed to be allergic to another cream, but when I put this one on, it just made my skin super smooth like baby skin. I've used it two nights in a row just around my eye and cheek area and when I woke up, those areas were noticeably smoother to the touch than the rest of my face. I'm not sure how often I will use it in the summer, but it's definitely going to be a staple for nighttimes and winter days. I love it!

Also, there is a faint, fresh, kelp-y kind of smell (which is appropriate, given what's in this), but I'm not sure why it's bothering some people. By the the time this cream goes on my skin, I don't smell anything.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2010 12:55:00 AM More reviews by lulabellabeauty

I did not like this very much. First thing I hated was the smell. Too floral and strong. Next, it is way too heavy and doesn't sink in. I do think it moisturizes, but because of the way it feels and how strong it smells, I won't re-purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2010 4:19:00 PM More reviews by shesays514

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently started using this so I think I will appreciate it even more in the winter, but even now it's a nice night time moisturizer. It takes a little time to absorb but it doesn't leave my skin greasy at all. I can't say I've noticed any "results" yet, but again, as a moisturizer it does the trick.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2010 1:50:00 AM More reviews by prissy973

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I use this with the sea plus like toner. I'm not in love with it. I have cremes that soak in my skin a lot better than this even though I know this mointurizer has a different purpose. I rarely use it. I've had it for about a year and use it maybe once every 2 months. So I still have half a jasr left. You can tell this is a night creme because of its consistency, It goes on really thick, which is different tha every other day/night moisturizer I have. It can be used for any type of skin, oily, combo, dry, etc.. I love products that have different sources of vitamins (from plants or otherwise) so this is a great product for that. I use it all over my neck and hope that it prevents aging as it says it does. It says it firms your skin and I can feel that effect. Great crem oversll, but when I'm done I weill be checking out another moisturizer. FYI Alba products in generasl haven't made much of a difference in my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2010 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Gracious_Lady

I originally began using Alba Sea Renewal Cream at night during Accutane treatment. I've been off Accutane for over 6 months now, and I've kept using this as my night cream. Not sure of the other reviews regarding the product being hard to spread; I'm on my second jar and it has the same "thick pudding" consistency that spreads very easily. A little goes a long way. Love the mild, pleasant scent, and most importantly, I love how my skin feels each morning. Most notably, I've never had any issues with breakouts from using this product and I'm acne-prone.