MAC So Chaud

4.5

on 12/12/2012 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I don't know WHAT made me buy this product, but it wasn't for me! I love to buy products that have cool names and meanings. In this case, So Chaud = So Hot ;) I don't know if it was a red-orange lipstick trend that led me to buy this, but it's really orange! I'm so focused on how the color looked on me, I don't even remember anything else about it!

To my tan/Asian ladies: DON'T BUY THIS, unless you're going for a BOLD look!

My god. I absolutely LOVE this lipstick. I own quite a few red-ish lipsticks such as Mac's Russian Red, Ruby Woo, and Chili (though this one definitely leans more orange), and amongst all of them, I reach for So Chaud the most. For reference, I am Chinese with medium-tan skin with yellow undertones (NC 40/42), and this lipstick looks phenomenal on. The formula is matte, so it is a bit more drying than regular lipsticks, but with that comes the longer staying power. This stuff even lasts pretty damn well through a meal too! Granted, that's with me being careful about not getting greasy food all over my lips, but still, the lasting power on this kicks ass. I highly recommend this lipstick if you're looking to experiment with a bold new lip color, as this isn't for the faint of heart! However, if you want to try out orange like Morange, but don't know if a full-on orange lip is for you, then this is an awesome alternative. Definitely more wearable than Morange, in my opinion. This lipstick is fiyaahhh ladies!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Definitely bold and bright, darker girls if you feel this is too bright, try chili, it's toned down but still packs an orange punch. If you dare to be bold try so chaud. Absolutely gorgeous on deeper toned girls. Definitely a shade that can look too intense under macs notoriously horrid lighting. Bring it home and see that it's actually gorgeous nw50

on 10/6/2012 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Really loving this. Asked for a recommendation when I was at MAC for a matte red lip for skin with very yellow undertones (NC25) and the lovely lady helping me suggested So Chaud. The color pay-off is fantastic. Three swipes of this and it is a dark matte red/orange. I am so yellow toned that this comes off almost brick red on my skin (see the last photo - thus far - in images above. I am pictured, in black, wearing So Chaud in front of a similarly colored wall), but I can see how others would like to wear this toned down as an orange/coral for spring and summer. The lipstick lasted 8+ hours on me, with minimal loss when I ate dinner. I noticed it doesn't come off onto a drinking glass, so this would be perfect for going out, when you don't have a lot of time, or care to make, a lot of touch ups. A little drying, but any matte lipstick will be, and honestly, it wasn't terrible at all. Overall a very nice lipstick. I just wanted to see how it worked for me, so I was just trying it out, but I think I will go back and purchase it this sunday. A perfect go-to fall lip for fair/medium golden skin tones.

on 8/31/2012 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

So Chaud was the first purchase I've ever made at a CCO and it's been a great investment. I bought this a few years ago when orange lips started appearing on runways and in advertisements everywhere. It glides onto my lips easily and has a matte finish. It's not moisturizing at all but I didn't expect it to be since it has a very matte texture. What's so amazing about So Chaud is the color and pigmentation. It's opaque which is what my pigmented lips require for true color payoff. It's the perfect orange for my skin tone (NARS Syracuse, MAC NC42ish). One of my favorites to wear in summer and fall. I've received compliments from beauty counter SA's asking me what product I'm wearing. If you like matte oranges, you'll really enjoy So Chaud.

on 7/31/2012 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Although not as orange as I would like, I do love the colour. It is more red than orange but in the right light, you can really see the orange undertones. Love the way it goes on as well. Great lipstick and colour!

on 7/17/2012 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Gosh I wish Mac's packaging was more sexy fun like their amazing colors : ( But with that said MAC So Chaud is a BRIGHT Matte Red lipstick. I can wear this in the fall because it is matte. It does have a orange undertone so you might want to line your lips with a red lip liner first. I am a true LOVER of Red lipstick so I am very precise when looking for the best red. This is not for the shy.... It is a true attention grabber which I LOVE : )

on 5/19/2012 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

AWESOME!!! I usually don't go for bright lipstick - tried Girl About Town and hated it. This is so different. It's a gorgeous color. Yesterday I applied it with a brush and blot it down a little - added some dazzle glass - stayed amazing while I worked for 7 hours!!!! (I didn't eat anything) I am NC15/NW20, light blonde hair and blue eyes for reference.

on 5/14/2012 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

If you are looking for that perfect on trend orange red then this is it. This is matte finish, has amazing staying power and is super super gorgeous. Not as orange as morange and more orange than ruby woo. It's perfect on fair skin with slightly yellow undertones and really pops against blue eyes. Go check this shade out....it's so hot!

on 5/11/2012 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

For the past few weeks I have been DYING to purchase MAC's "Morange" after seeing it featured in a tri with matching lip glaze and nail lacquer. Morange just didn't work for me, I looked down at the "mattes" and saw So Chaud.

It was love at first swipe. Absolutely perfect, smooth application, didn't make it's way to my two front teeth like most lippies do.

So Chaud is Lady Danger's edgier 80's-obsessed cousin that snuck into a Van Halen concert. The orangeness isn't obnoxious, the red tone is so warm.

For a gal with hazel eyes, this sure did bring out the brown in my eyes! I fixied up my eyebrows with my black Typographic e/s (shh! ... tsk tsk..) to finish the look and applied a little mineralized coral blush.

To me, this is a retro/vintagey lip colour. Something to be seen in "I Love Lucy", something Wilma Flintstone would rock, maybe Joanie from MadMen would sport this with her up-do..

If you're really digging this but are feeling intimidated by the orangeness, ease yourself into it - apply a liner underneath and allover before the So Chaud.. keep a very natural/neutral look with the cheeks and eyes.. apply some highlighter into the cupid's bow to avoid that "shadowy" look on the upper lip :-)

I proudly paid for today's lipstick in quarters and toonies.. Payday can't be every day.

Popular Lipsticks