April 18, 2014 | 1994 users online

Foundations - Rimmel - Stay Matte Compact Powder Foundation

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2009 9:25:00 AM More reviews by aguadora

I have this in 005 Warm Honey, which is too orange/ruddy on my bare skin. However, my new moisturizer (Olay White Radiance UV Natural Lightening Lotion) gives my face a whitish cast, so when I use the Rimmel powder it's like putting color back onto my yellow-toned skin. Like in Pleasantville, lol.

So together they work great. I like the smooth finish of the powder, which lasts about 5 hours before I have to touch-up, and usually I only need to pat on my nose and forehead. Sometimes I don't even have to reapply, I just blot with a tissue. I work in an air-conditioned office the entire day, though, don't know how it will hold up outside.

If I have any dry patches it's usually because of the change of weather. I just rub in a bit of almond oil or Nivea creme to ease those up (thanks MUA for the recommendations!). But Rimmel doesn't highlight the flaky areas, unlike Maybelline PureStay!

My only gripe is the ugly packaging! I wish it were in a nicer grey or black color. The sponge also stunk after I used it wet a couple of times. So I'll try to use a powder/kabuki/flat top brush next time.

Since it's my most affordable option, I'll consider getting it again, but in another shade, Nude, and see if that's a better match. *crosses fingers* Hope it works out!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2009 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Plagueofhamsters

This product is great! Throw out that dingy little sponge they give you, grab a wonderful Kabuki brush, and brush on the matte! You'll notice how smooth and poreless your skin looks without feeling heavy at all. On top of that, use this with the Stay Matte Powder and Rimmel Natural Bronzer and you've got quite a flawless matte look.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2009 4:30:00 PM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I think this has pretty much made me give up on trying to find a perfect powder foundation. I was roaming the makeup isles of Target looking for a new mascara to try when I stumbled upon a few of these compacts shoved in the bottom shelf. Now, I usually read reviews before buying anything, but I couldn't resist the urge to try this. It's the only drugstore powder foundation I haven't tried. For $4.99, it couldn't hurt. I bought it in the second lightest shade, which looked like a nice match. I tried it on as soon as I got in the car, and it was super orange and way too dark. I ran back in to exchange it for the lightest shade. It looked OK over my regular foundation, but the real test was when I could apply it alone. As soon as I got home, I washed my face and applied this. It felt and looked awful. It covered OK, but not like a powder foundation should. I could feel it sitting on my face which drove me crazy. The only plus was that it was a good match, but by that point I really didn't care.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2009 11:43:00 PM More reviews by jjjessica

This stuff actually works for me. I use the spongy thing they provide for more opaque coverage over a blemish, etc. Then I use a nice all over face brush for everywhere else. I even use it on my chest sometimes to even out the color. It does keep me pretty matte but I might need a reapplication in the afternoon. I swear... with the right brushes it works just like bare minerals and the sand color is perfect for me. It looks natural!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/18/2008 2:38:00 PM More reviews by roseybell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have very fair skin so I purchased the porcelain color. The actual color of the powder is way too dark and orange. I would compare it to a golden-medium in other brands. Thank goodness it was cheap because it went right into the garbage.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2008 7:38:00 PM More reviews by tanyaw168

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Once I tried applying this with a brush, I ended up liking it. It's a light coverage powder. My skin is almost clear enough where I can use this as my "foundation". I'm comfortable just using it on the weekends, but I'm still a little leary of wearing it to work.
Do not use the sponge included to apply it. It goes on cakey and too thick/dark. Wetting the sponge and applying it wet dosen't help either. Still gross and cakey.
The color wasnt' too bad on me (I bought Sand). Maybe a hint of orange, but it almost has a bronzing effect on me. It looks like I spent the day in the sun. Staying power was pretty good.
This wouldn't work if you have some seriously bad skin to cover up. This is a light coverage foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2008 3:13:00 AM More reviews by ElleChick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok, i hate this product! It makes my face look weird and powdery and definetly not a nice matte finish. It comes off VERY easy and lasts about 30 mins. even if you try not to touch your face. So before throwing it out i tried the sponge wetting thing and that made it look even worse! So i washed it off 20 mins, later and it made my blemishes bigger some how. This is my first powder foundation so this just plain suck not even comparing it to anything else. It's cheap, but the compact is kinda ugly and the sponge sits right on the make up. I don't know why i won't throw it away already. I just use a regular powder instead and it has enough coverage without making your face look weird. I still try powder foundations but still can't find one that's "decent" at all. This stuff sucks, horrid staying power, looks gross on the face, and the sponge on the make-up thing can't be too hygenic.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2008 8:29:00 PM More reviews by MandiMoore87

I bought this because I am looking for a good foundation and I don't like the liquid ones. My skintone is a medium color, kind of like a light tan. Anyway, I have this in Nude (102).

It goes on way too dark if you use the included sponge applicator, so I use a brush to sweep it on. This makes it match my skin tone a lot better. It doesn't seem to last the 6 hours that it claims, but it doesn't rub off on my white shirts!

The packaging is horrible... ugly and very plain. The included applicator sits directly on the makeup, breeding bacteria, but I have tossed it out since I use a brush anyway. Also, the piece that holds it shut broke as soon as I opened it, so I can't carry it with me for fear of getting it everywhere.

The next time I buy it, I will use the same shade, but I will only use it for summer time since it is made so dark.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2007 1:38:00 PM More reviews by rhg1

Holy Cow Target has done it again. I'm so glad they carry Rimmel. A little bit of olde england. I've been buying the most expensive powder foundations--Chantecaille and Armani and they have nothing on this foundation powder. Its smooth it lasts it controls oil it doesn't look dry it doesn't highlight fine lines. I use it under my eyes. I don't use any concealer and it absolutely looks like skin. No one thinks I'm wearing foundation which is strangely important to me.Sand matches me perfectly. Thank goodness for Target.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2007 5:21:00 PM More reviews by bedhead19

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i bought this in both nude and porcelain thinking one would work for me since i use the rimmel stay matter translucent powder. i was wrong wrong wrong.

nude made me look like that diiiirty phase xtina was in, and porcelain was still too dark, in a very matte way. if i didn't know better, i would think this m/u was for more exotic skin tones.

not only the color, but the formulation was very off. mask like. even after trying it on a clean face and waiting an hour, it was very noticeable. i am VERY oily, and this never melded with my skin. it just sat on my skin and really emphasized my pores.

nothing about this m/u was even worth the 4.99 i paid.