October 24, 2014 | 1655 users online

Powder - Aveda - Inner Light Dual Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by michelle888

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have, after ALL these years, finally found my HOLY GRAIL foundation! I can't tell you how great of a feeling that is! I used to wear Aveda, even before it was called "Aveda" (I think it used to be INDRA), and they had a dual powder foundation in Alabaster, which was my favorite and this was many years ago, like 20. Well, in the meantime I used everything from powder to liquid to cream, never finding the true match for my NW20/fairish/neutral to cool skintone. Everything either broke me out, was gone by the end of the day, or was not a color match. I had Body & Soul, Versace, Nina Ricci, Armani, Mac, La Prairie, Covergirl, the list goes on. I TRIED everything but nothing was like my dearly departed Alabaster. I even tried Aveda's powder foundation when it was the Dual Base Minus Oil in Aster, which I liked but I preferred Studio Fix instead, as it never gave me that polished perfect skin look from the olden days of Alabaster. Since they discontinued Dual Base Minus Oil and reformulated with Tourmaline and called it Inner Light, I picked up a pan and it was MAGIC! OK that's the history behind me and Aveda.

This powder is the most beautiful, perfectly matched for my skintone foundation I have ever had. It leaves a totally flawless face in seconds and covers any imperfection with gusto! The color Aster is totally perfect for my complexion, and I look like I'm lit from within as soon as I swipe on my face. The color is absolutely spot-on and just a gorgeous neutral shade with no overly yellow color nor any hint of orange. Just pure neutrality and the color of my skin! The only downside is that it's a little tough to work with when your face is damp (from moisturizer) so make sure you give it about 10 minutes for sunblock or moisturizers to dry before application. I use a sponge, but also love the finish when I use my Ecotools Bronzer brush when I'm in a rush for a lighter coverage look. Either way it's totally natural looking and really melts into the skin. In fact, I have received compliments such as "your skin looks great," and "you look good (from a guy)" when I wear this foundation. I have never received compliments on my skin ever before!

I HOPE, hope, hope this is never discontinued, I absolutely adore this foundation and look forward to the mornings when I can make myself up due to this foundation!! Try it! It's absolutely excellent!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2011 11:59:00 AM More reviews by lylalies

This is a very good powder foundation, it doesn't make you look flat or cakey, just natural. It has great coverage; depending on the finish you want you can get light to full coverage. I use mine with an ecotools kabuki brush and it looks great. The lady at the store told me you can use this foundation wet, but I don't think the results are good with this method, but it can be just me. The only bad thing is that I can't buy it in México, but if you have an Aveda near you, you should definetly try this one out.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2011 1:55:00 AM More reviews by lauramvig

I love this stuff. Very expensive in Australia, but still. Worth it. I also love the refillable packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2011 2:33:00 PM More reviews by ebabeba

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Super great coverage in a compact powder formula...totally renders face powder unnecessary, since it's like a foundation and powder in one. Love it! I just wish the packaging was a little sturdier.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2011 1:24:00 PM More reviews by jkostosky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Just got this yesterday....I'm looking for a replacement for Sheercover which I've been using for about a year (I decided it might be the reason I get itchy red spots throughout the day, not a nice look). I applied over spots as a concealer with a damp q-tip, and then used a kabuki brush for foundation coverage. Gotta say, the coverage seems great, and it feels good so far. I'll wait until I see if my sensitive, acne-prone skin breaks out to give it a full stamp of approval.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 7:41:00 PM More reviews by lroberge

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG foundation. I like that it comes in a small little plastic flap so it fits in the purse easily. Use a good brush to apply, or the sponge when in a pinch...just not wet. The wet application is uneven and strange. I've tried every powder foundation out there, and this one is THE ONE.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2011 12:24:00 PM More reviews by stars80

This is an amazing powder foundation! The coverage is light to full and very buildable. I have quite a bit to cover as I have oily skin with big pores, acne scars (red and textured) and under eye circles and this is just so beautiful. It is my favourite powder foundation right now. It is pricey ($33.50 CAD) and the packaging is a bit awkward since you either work with the plastic that it comes in or buy one of their reusable compacts. I bought a reusable compact that in Canada costed me $27.50 plus tax. It is an intial investment but it is nice packaging that is good for the environment and you can switch out what you put in there - blushes, powder, bronzer, eye shadows so its quite nice. It is has all day wear, kept my shine under control and the finish truly is like an Inner Light. It just makes you look healthy and youthful, which we all want to achieve. I have skin that is sensative too and this responded nicely to my skin. I am in colour 02 aster, in reference to Studio Fix Powder foundation NW20-25. You can use it as a foundation, which I do with some concealer or you can use it as a finishing powder to get that blurred effect. One warning, if you are dry skined, make sure to moisturize but that is with all powder foundations. Give it a try! You won't regret it! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2011 5:30:00 AM More reviews by Physeter

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this foundation. I have really sensitive skin, that is also quite dry. This covers as sheer or as full as you prefer. I really like the compact idea for it. You buy the foundation in a little package and put it into the reuseable compact. You can apply the foundation dry, with a brush, or use a damp sponge to put it on damp. I have bought this several times, and will keep on buying it. Due to my sensitive skin, I change my foundations around so I don't get sensitized to one, but I keep buying this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 2:58:00 AM More reviews by desertraisin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

As many of you who've suffered from acne, people with acne prone skin are in the catch-22 world of needing exceptionally good coverage that will last all day without worsening your breakouts; almost an impossible quest, like finding a 0 calorie cheesecake that tastes good. I've bought a lot of makeup over the years trying to find that balance and I've come to the end of my journey with this product. A lot of other people have mentioned the good about this so I won't go much into detail but I wanted to do my part and share my experience. I use the second lightest shade aster, and it fits my complexion perfectly. Although the packaging is small, it provides amazing coverage. This also layers very well so I find that instead of using a concealer, I can just use a smaller brush to go over blemish areas then overall with a larger brush (like kabuki) to give a very smooth matte coverage. This also lasts for a mineral makeup. I travel for business frequently and end up wearing it for over 10 hours. I don't retouch often simply because of the type of skin I have but I have done so in some situations and it still layers without discoloration. I do use a loose powder to keep the makeup last longer but if it's going to be a short duration I don't need to bother with it. Also, even after awhile the makeup does not "sink" into your lines or flake off after awhile, something I've noticed with other mineral makeups like bareminerals.
I've spent a lot of money over the years trying out so many different products, that this is worth every penny to me.

Something I do want to add is that although this is "dual" I do not really like the liquid part. The Aveda rep showed me how to do this but I found that if I use it as a liquid the shade turns lighter so I look much paler. Also the coverage isn't very good in my opinion although I guess it is supposed to last longer. Maybe I'm just bad at it but the powder form is amazing and I'm sure there are better liquid foundations out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2011 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

If Aveda ever discontinued this, I would collapse into a ball on the floor and sob for a week. Think I'm kidding? Alright, maybe I'm being a little overly dramatic, but that's pretty much how I feel about this amazing powder foundation. It took me almost 19 years to find the perfect foundation. Now that I have it, I feel like my "quest" is over. I'm found my prize. LOL About the product, it is an amazing silky powder that keeps my combo-oily skin matte ALL day, with ZERO touch-ups. It covers flawlessly. I have very uneven skin with slight rosacea and acne scarring and this foundation makes my skin look better than it ever has. I don't even need a concealer with it! The best part is, I can layer it on in certain areas and it never looks cakey or fake. It also takes VERY little to achieve flawless coverage. I use a big kabuki brush (Ecotools bronzer brush) to apply. The color I chose is PERFECT. I ordered the lightest shade, "01 Cream" and was so excited that it was not only light enough, but matched my skin perfectly! For reference, I wear BB Alabaster, MAC NC10. Most makeup brands are too dark for me, so it was exciting to find a product that is healthy and natural-looking and also matches me! Lastly, this foundation does NOT break me out! I feel like I'm finally found my HG!!

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No