November 1, 2014 | 1257 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Ladyofgrace

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I will forever purchase Chanel no. 5 as this is the first fragrance I received from my mother as a teen.

Chanel No 5 is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance. This is my classic go to scent because I love to smell fresh and powdery. I layer the fragrance along with the body mist and velvet body cream.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2014 2:00:00 AM More reviews by staci01

2013 became the year of no. 5 as I ended up purchasing the Velvet Body Cream, Intense Bath Oil and the EDP. I also managed to get my mitts on a sample of the EDT. I'd been avoiding no 5 for years,since the early 90's when I first got into Chanel fragrances as a middle schooler, due to the extreme aldehydic nature of the fragrance. Made it a point over the years to try it out at least once a year to see if my nose had changed towards it. Every time I'd sniff or sample no 5 my throat would feel like someone had stuffed a ball of cotton down it and it would start to close up. Then this past Fall I tried again on the EDT this time wearing it for the whole day a few times over the course of a week and I had to keep myself from running to the sink to brillo it off my wrist. Verdict was that the EDT was not working and I don't think it ever will. What got me hooked on no 5 though was the Velvet Body Cream after I was given a sample sachet at Nordstrom. I'd been using it off and on and I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. One night I decided I was going to really give the cream a try and kept using it before bed. This led to me falling in love. The vetiver and lemon note really pops out in the cream and I just adore it. I can smell the aldehydes but it's not as harsh as in the EDT. This then led to me buying the cream and eventually the EDP which is a more heavy 80's style fragrance, almost as if the perfumer were trying to skirt the edge of an 80's oriental but only a smidge. The EDP is heavier on the jasmine and vanilla and the aldehydes are there but not similar to the ones in the EDT. The EDP I can wear comfortably and it's definitely good for colder weather and can be worn with everything. I do believe now that my dislike over the years was due to the fact that I kept grabbing the EDT (and because I was familiar with the square tube like container as I had a bottle of no 19 EDT in the same shape). I know now that each of the different concentrations in the no 5 line is slightly modified. The notes are the same but tweaked up or down and differently for each concentration. Same goes for Chanel's other fragrances as well, btw. I've not tried the parfum yet but I plan to purchase a bottle in the future. I know that purists say that the EDT is the way to go but I just can't do it. Maybe I'll try again next year. I also noticed that when I wear the cream and the EDP it is very calming and keeps anxiety down. I did some searching and found out that no 5 contains rose and jasmine. Both of these oils help with reducing stress. Rose oil causes the brain to stop pumping out cortisol, which is the stress hormone, and jasmine oil is also a stress reducer and has been found, for example, to act as a tranquilizer on rats and people who are getting off of certain prescription drugs. I noticed the calming effect when I used the cream and later noticed that the EDP has the same affect on me. It also contains ylang ylang oil which has been found to be a stress reducer. Very nice to be able to not only smell and enjoy a scent but that it also contributes to a peaceful mind. Will always have this fragrance in my collection!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by vic113

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been wearing Chanel No 5 Eau De Parfum for the last 15 years. Its my signature,
however I have noticed the scent varies form bottle to bottle. I have returned 4 bottles over the years contacted Head Office Sydney (no one got back to me) I love the fragrance when its good I just purchased a bottle 200mls which is also somewhat different. ho hum. I will continue to purchase as its the only perfume I wear. Wish there was some consistency with their product and some sort of customer service. If anyone plans to exchange or return chanel no 5 you will need not only your receipt but the box it came in this will make for a problem free exchange.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2014 10:07:00 PM More reviews by Lexieloveee

Sorry ladies to old ladie! Try madaomoale

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2014 2:12:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Chanel No. 5 is, indeed, a classic - and it's just not great on me. it is an acquired taste and can smell very different from the bottle to the blotting paper to your skin. (YM Will V).

I prefer Coco Chanel much more.
that said, most of the Classic Chanel line-up is a bit too heavy for me.

A nice gift for someone who loves it - but you need to know this before you buy.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 5:10:00 PM More reviews by KathieL

Iconic. Sophisticated. This is my "signature scent"

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Kellergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am in pure heaven. This is amazing. The initial spray is not good, but the drydown is heaven! This has lasted 6+ hours on me so far, and still going. It's a beautiful soft, musky swet scent that is just amazing. I wish I ahd tried this sooner!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 6:39:00 PM More reviews by vitalogies

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this out on my wrist at Ulta. Well, when you first spray it, it smells like cat pee. Not gonna lie. I sniffed it again after a few hours. After the pee smell went away, it smelled nostalgic and beautiful. I can't even really accurately describe it, because I don't know perfume jargon. It is like that time you tried drinking coffee when you were 12 years old, and at first you thought it was disgusting, but then you found yourself wanting more and more. An acquired taste. Strangely addicting. Powerfully feminine, a woman who wears this is a force to be reckoned with. I wish I could afford a bottle of my own.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 3:26:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsBlackHair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my fragrance. It is me. I absolutely adore CHANEL No.5. It has a vintage feel and aroma to it which is exactly what I prefer. It's just perfect. Nothing comes close. I don't wear it everyday because this is *such* an elegant fragrance, more of a special fragrance, so when I spray this on I think to myself, "There I am."

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2014 9:13:00 AM More reviews by XxmzVickyxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think a couple of reviews have it right, you really do only need 2 spritz of this and your onto a winner. It's a beautiful and timeless perfume. I'm my opinion it suits ALL ages both me and my mum wear this quite often and it smells completely different on both of us, my advice is grab a tester from your local Chanel counter and try before you buy! It's expensive but totally worth it :)