MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

on 5/14/2014 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I have always been attracted to this brush. I bought the holiday brush sets twice ( they are just as awesome as the individual ones ) and this brush came in the set both times. I always was drawn to the mineral brushes cause I like to apply my makeup with a natural start and work my way up to additional drama, I now own the real Mac 187 brush and it works exactly the same. I feel the like bristles are the same quality so don't let anyone tell you that the holiday sets are of cheaper quality blah blah blah.... Cause if you care for them, they can last just as long! Back to the brush: it does occasionally shed, which freaked me out because I didn't want to be losing my brush hairs! But if you are patient as use the brush lightly , it's pretty minimal. It's my fave foundation, powder, and any other type of face brush. I also have the elf stipling brush which is smaller but works pretty much the same! So if you want to save money, try the elf version! Or splurge and get the Mac ! Or the holiday set ! Or all of them! :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Excellent brush but the problem is that it sheds A LOT and you'd expect a very nice quality brush for its very high price. But overall, it blends very well, i love this brush but .. i would rather buy a better dupe if i ever lost this one..

on 2/27/2014 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I have owned this brush for about 6 months now and had mixed feelings about it. While it gave me light coverage(which is exactly what i wanted- is she or is she not wearing foundation kind of thing), it would leave hairs on my face each time i used it. I almost gave up on it when i decided to do some research and this is what i found out: when you buff in your foundation, the short black hairs are not supposed to touch your face. They r only there to support the white bristles which r the ones actually doing the job. If the black hairs touch your face, therefore coming into contact with the foundation, that causes shedding. The trick is to not apply too much pressure and lightly buff in the foundation in circular motions. I have not experienced any sheddind since i started using this method. Hope that help!

on 2/17/2014 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Best brush ever for applying foundation.This brush has been praised for years as one of the best versatile face brush of all time and I definitely can see why. For 3 years, I've been using the Mac 187 exclusively for foundation and it does the job quickly and flawlessly. When used properly, the results are superb. Since this is a stippling brush, I use it to stipple my foundation on. I don't use it for buffing because that will just defeat the purpose of this brush. I stipple until all the tiny dots that are formed disappears. The end result is a well blended, airbrushed finish. Quality is also great. Haven't dealt with any shedding and I wash this brush almost everyday. I believe the ones who are experiencing shedding, are those who are using it to buff in their foundation. Great brush when used the proper way and well worth the price.

I tried applying my foundation with this and could never really get it right, I ended up settling nicely with the Sigma F80-82. However, I use this to apply when I use powders (aka the typical Mac Studio Fix) and it does a great job. I'm happy with it.

on 1/10/2014 5:19:00 AM

I have been using this brush for a while now and it works like a miracle! At first I was a bit skeptical about applying foundation/tinted moisturizer with a brush. But after some trial and error, this brush works fabulously to give the amount of coverage you want! Simply cannot do without it if I want an even coverage from my liquid foundation/tinted moisturizer. And you save so much on the product as well as goes a long way as compared to normal sponge which absorbs more. Without a doubt, will repurchase. The first brush lasted me a good 4 years.

on 12/19/2013 12:07:00 AM

This brush is every thing I hoped for and more! Applies my liquid foundation (Studio sculpt) or tinted moisturiser if I want a little bit less coverage, both with a flawless finish. I had been looking for a brush for so long that didn't leave my makeup looking blotchy and uneven on my already uneven skin tone and I've definitely found it!!

on 12/12/2013 4:16:00 PM

I have been wanting to buy this brush for awhile. I bought the mac pro long wear foundaton at the same time. I quite like it distributes the foundation in pixelated spots. I was surprised at how light it actualy is. The price is quite high but I decided to go for it because I was going to be using it as my daily foundation price. I really don't regret the purchase. I was freaking out expecting shedding but I haven't seen any yet. Then again I have only used it about 2 times.

on 12/7/2013 8:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I personally like this brush. I have never really used any other stippling brushes so my review is not based on a comparison. I use this to apply my tinted moisturizer / BB cream, liquid/ powder/ cream foundation, and to blend concealer/ blush/ highlighter/ bronzer. It def gives the smooth finish despite many flaws of mine;) No flawless but happy enough!

Only one complaint would be, like many others have noted, SHEDDING… especially right after I wash the brush (for a good 2 days to a week). It is kind of embarrassing to have short thick black fibers all over my face..

I believe I was lucky enough to find this brush at an outlet (the CCS) years ago, so it was cheaper.

on 11/27/2013 6:03:00 PM

This is an ok stippling brush. I mainly use it to apply a finishing powder since it's the softest brush I own. It is good for foundation application, though I feel I get a more flawless look using a sponge. I do like it, but it's too expensive for what it does.

Video Reviews & Tutorials