BeneFit Cosmetics Play Sticks Concealer, foundation and powder all-in-one!

3.7

on 1/29/2013 9:20:00 AM

I've just repurchased this, and I'm not generally a repurchaser, so that tells you something.

I use the colour paper doll; it's a fraction too dark for me but a good blending makes it look fine.

The smell is lovely, lavender, and having read lavender is antibacterial, there might be something in it as my skin is the best it has ever been with this.

I went back to Mac Studiofix for just a few days and broke out again, so knew there was something good about this.

It's easy to put on as it's in a stick - I just swipe on forehead, cheeks, nose and chin and get blending. Seems to have fairly decent staying power - maybe 6 hours of looking really good.

Slightly greasy feel to the fingers but it does seem quite moisturising.

The packaging is great and I plan to buy a spare to keep in my handbag.

The only negative is that the stick isn't very big (although when you get to the bottom there's a lot of product left that you can dig out).

Would love to have a greater range of colours.

on 11/17/2012 11:46:00 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with this product.

Love:

The compliments my boyfriend use to give me when I wore it, He would actually tell me my skin looked really nice every time I wore this, I even tried switching from using it to not using it on different days and he always complimented my skin and saw the difference on the days I wore it.
It didn't make my skin break out.
Very good coverage
Creamy texture which I like
Smooth feel
Its unlike any other foundation I have used, combines concealer and foundation properties in one,

Hate:

No matter what color I use its too dark for my skin tone, I am very fair skinned.
The texture, although providing good coverage and feeling smooth, is way too heavy for my skin and face and looked caked, every time! I have slightly thinner skin.
The main thing I didn't like was that I would never stay in place. I would try to smooth it on and blend it in and it would just move around!
If you use too much, like my sister does, you literally look like someone put a mask of foundation over you and you have to be very careful not to get lines and smudges.
I don't have oily skin but this foundation would always end up looking oily on me after a few hours and/or giving me a slight shine which never happens with other foundations.
After a while I noticed it made my skin look dull as it was too matt, I personally prefer foundations with luminous properties as they brighten the skin and look more natural.
It can work really well but I don't feel its worth the hassle and required daily upkeep and uncomfortable feel.
When I had blemishes such as bumps and spots it had the potential to highlight them if not used very specifically and carefully.
Its expensive.

on 8/3/2012 5:04:00 AM

My mum bought me this as a treat at Benefit on a girly shopping day. I am 26 but have oily skin with dry patches.

This looked great when applied in store, but when I got it home I fell out of love.

It's a very wet consistency and you really have to apply a lot of it to get any kind of good coverage.

It also made me feel a bit sweaty underneath it - like it was clogging me up.

Love benefit but sad to say this is just sat in my make up box for dire emergencies only!

x

on 6/16/2012 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have combination-dry skin which can vary one direction or another based on the type of moisturizer I use (always an SPF 30+). Sensitive, rosacea prone skin.

First the good. Beautiful texture. Emoilliant, easy to apply, great slip. Light matte, dewy.

Now the not so good. The color Tea Party was the perfect color. We tested it at Sephora's, went out into the light - perfect. Took it home and when i did my entire face, oh boy - it looked chalky/mask- like and slightly ashy.

A real disappointment. Will not buy again.

on 5/31/2012 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Oh, I wanted to like this product SO much! But as for me and my oily, acne-prone skin... it just wasn't love.
Coverage-wise, this didn't deliver what I was hoping for (it barely covered the redness of blemishes, let alone some red post-acne marks), and no matter how I applied (directly from the stick, with my fingers, blending with a sponge), the final effect always looked cakey. (I wasn't even using much, either, so I ruled out that option.)
Plus, compared to when I use mineral foundation, I noticed my face (particularly my T-zone and forehead) felt much, much greasier than normal.
The kicker for me, though? Something in this makeup did NOT get along with my skin; after two days of use, I was broken out in all the places I'd applied it, and the pores closest to my nose on both cheeks began to just look... HUGE. Almost like they were having a weird, slightly swollen allergic reaction. So strange.

Not a re-purchase for me; thank everything for Sephora's return policy!

on 5/18/2012 4:21:00 AM

I bought this product after wanting a new foundation. I've been using studio sculpt by MAC for a very long time because the color match was so good (NC42) and it left a nice, satin finish. Well, the benefit play sticks are also satin-type to semi-matte finishes and cover so well. The way I use it is by taking the stick and putting 3 streaks across each cheek, one one my forehead, nose and chin and blend away. This foundation blends so well! It's the type of foundation I can use in 5 minutes, and I'll have full natural looking coverage. I use the color jump rope and it matches my NC42 pretty nicely, except, it does have a slight pink undertone to it. If I need more coverage on certain areas, I will go back and put a seconds layer and pat the product as I would with a concealer. Even though it is pricey for a stick foundation, it is worth it, as the product is easy to travel with, does not require brushes(unless you want to of course) and it has ingredients that are supposedly good for your skin. Downfall is that there are only 4-5 shades, I believe, so not everyone will have a match. Would definitely recommend.

on 3/23/2012 1:47:00 PM

I took a chance & chose this off someone's list who wanted to swap with me. I was afraid at first because the color was the lightest color & I thought it would make me look too white(I'm fair skinned but I'm never the lightest shade). When I swatched it I saw it was actually pretty good color for me. Now, I HATE liquid foundation but I'm forced to wear it because I need full coverage & my HG powder I found with full coverage, broke me out. So.. I decided to give stick foundations a try & I do really like them. I don't know why I waited so long to try this particular one but I'm glad I swapped for it now that I have. I have deep red acne scaring all over my face & this gives me the full coverage I need. I don't need concealer with it because it works as both. It doesn't make me look cake faced the way Max Factor Pan-Stik made me look. I set it lightly with some powder & it looks flawless. The staying powder is actually pretty decent also. If this doesn't start to break me out(praying it doesn't), I'm sure this will be my HG.

on 3/10/2012 3:27:00 PM

I'm trying to be a bit unbias in this review as my true dissatisfaction comes from the Benefit rep who sold me this...here goes: as far as coverage goes, this made my face look flawless and it matched my skin extremely well. I also like the "stick" form and being able to apply straight to my face and just blending out with either by fingers or brush. However, after 3 days of use, I broke out horribly!!! I'm talking the worst breakout I have ever had in my life. So bad, that the girls at Sephora gave me HUGE free samples of tons of skincare products to help. According to them, someone like me (oily combination, sensitive skin) would never warrant a recommendation in benefit products.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is a great foundation/concealer for me. I have problem skin, but it sits comfortably and doesn't cause any reactions or break outs. The coverage is buildable and has a natural to matt finish depending on how much you use (it even covers my rosacea). Its portable and convenient to use although I don't use the stick directly on my face for fear of spreading germs. It lasts for ages because its quite concentrated/creamy.

on 2/8/2012 1:14:00 PM

This foundation gives lovely even colour if you don't apply too much, lasts well if you set it with light powder, and looks flawless and smooth if you moisturise beforehand. I tend to paint a couple of stripes on my face in the areas where I most need product, and then I blend it out with my fingers. If I'm feeling fancy, I blend it out in circular motions with my Illamasqua highlighter brush. Both achieve pretty much the same effect. I imagine this would work well with a stippling brush too, but with a flat foundation brush I didn't have so much luck.

I have a kind of love-hate relationship with this foundation.

This is a great colour match for my pale skin (I wear 'Spin The Bottle') and it makes a lovely foundation: not greasy, not cakey, not obvious, and I don't feel it on my skin (unless I apply too much). It looks flawless most of the day if set with a light powder, and it is incredibly quick and easy to apply. The stick lasts quite a long time too. It's quite rich, so it's great for Winter time, or for anyone who is on the slightly drier side of normal skin. (My skin is mostly normal, but my nose can sometimes get a little oily, and my cheeks a little dry.)

However, for a foundation that costs upwards of £20 and purports to have such great ingredients to promote healthy skin (soya oil, chamomile, green tea extract, and gingko) I expected an improvement in my skin in general, but it really didn't do much. I found this particularly surprising because soya oil and green tea are powerful antioxidants and chamomile is very skin-soothing. I expected to use it for a few weeks and have radiant, even skin and I was pretty disappointed. I suppose the quantities might be low, or perhaps the other ingredients cancel the benefits out.

Nonetheless, since this foundation contains more natural stuff than your average make-up product I feel much better about wearing it on a daily basis - so this has become a staple in my collection.

If you want a straightforward, gentle foundation that's super-easy to apply and will make your skin look amazing when it's on, then this is for you. To summarise: it does precisely what you want a good foundation to do, but unfortunately it doesn't do everything it says on the tin - and for that reason it loses a point.