August 22, 2014 | 1244 users online

Foundations - BeneFit Cosmetics - Play Sticks Concealer, foundation and powder all-in-one!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2012 4:31:00 AM More reviews by LittleRussianDoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a great foundation/concealer for me. I have problem skin, but it sits comfortably and doesn't cause any reactions or break outs. The coverage is buildable and has a natural to matt finish depending on how much you use (it even covers my rosacea). Its portable and convenient to use although I don't use the stick directly on my face for fear of spreading germs. It lasts for ages because its quite concentrated/creamy.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2012 1:14:00 PM More reviews by cerieb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This foundation gives lovely even colour if you don't apply too much, lasts well if you set it with light powder, and looks flawless and smooth if you moisturise beforehand. I tend to paint a couple of stripes on my face in the areas where I most need product, and then I blend it out with my fingers. If I'm feeling fancy, I blend it out in circular motions with my Illamasqua highlighter brush. Both achieve pretty much the same effect. I imagine this would work well with a stippling brush too, but with a flat foundation brush I didn't have so much luck.

I have a kind of love-hate relationship with this foundation.

This is a great colour match for my pale skin (I wear 'Spin The Bottle') and it makes a lovely foundation: not greasy, not cakey, not obvious, and I don't feel it on my skin (unless I apply too much). It looks flawless most of the day if set with a light powder, and it is incredibly quick and easy to apply. The stick lasts quite a long time too. It's quite rich, so it's great for Winter time, or for anyone who is on the slightly drier side of normal skin. (My skin is mostly normal, but my nose can sometimes get a little oily, and my cheeks a little dry.)

However, for a foundation that costs upwards of £20 and purports to have such great ingredients to promote healthy skin (soya oil, chamomile, green tea extract, and gingko) I expected an improvement in my skin in general, but it really didn't do much. I found this particularly surprising because soya oil and green tea are powerful antioxidants and chamomile is very skin-soothing. I expected to use it for a few weeks and have radiant, even skin and I was pretty disappointed. I suppose the quantities might be low, or perhaps the other ingredients cancel the benefits out.

Nonetheless, since this foundation contains more natural stuff than your average make-up product I feel much better about wearing it on a daily basis - so this has become a staple in my collection.

If you want a straightforward, gentle foundation that's super-easy to apply and will make your skin look amazing when it's on, then this is for you. To summarise: it does precisely what you want a good foundation to do, but unfortunately it doesn't do everything it says on the tin - and for that reason it loses a point.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2012 8:52:00 AM More reviews by bexidaisy

Okay - I just wanted to clear a few things up with this foundation since it seems to be getting really mixed reviews.

I first bought this foundation on a Christmas trip to NYC, where the Benefit MUA in Sephora was doing makeovers. At the time, my current foundation was looking cakey and the MUA basically dragged me over to put this on my face! I loved it! It was my HG foundation for 18 months and honestly I can't remember why I stopped using it. I think I started using a tinted moisturiser over the summer and simply forgot I had the Playstick.

There are 2 basic rules when applying this foundation, and I think that it's the failure to follow these steps that creates the ambiguity around it.
1. ALWAYS APPLY A MOISTURISER FIRST. This is a basic step that should be followed with any foundation, yet so many people seem to skip it. With the Playstick, this enables the product to glide on and blend so easily without compromising the overall coverage. The MUA I had used the Benefit You Rebel Lite, mixed with their That Gal shimmery primer. (On it's own that combo looks awesome in the summer).
2. APPLY THE PLAYSTICK WITH A SPONGE. Simply swipe the sponge over the stick and start blending it onto your face. This means you use a minimal amount of product, and the moisturiser helps the sponge to glide over your face. You're left with a really flawless finish. The Playsticks lasted me a good 6 months each, and I really like full coverage.

The only con I found with this foundation was that you really do need to set it - something like MAC's blot powder would be good - patted onto the skin with the powder puff provided. This will hopefully stop so much transfer, and I would also recomend setting it with a fixing spray to make it last longer. Touch-ups are so easy however, since you just pop the stick and a sponge in your bag!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2012 3:27:00 PM More reviews by tahoesarah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really liked this foundation...for the short amount of time it stayed on my face during the day. I tried it without and with primer but it never seemed to stay on for very long. The foundation itself also didn't last me very long, but that's probably because of how often I had to reapply during the day to keep my acne/scars covered. for $34 I wish it could have lasted me a bit longer :| time to go find another new foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by sophks

Very disappointed by this,
unnatural finish, greasy looking and rubs off on anything that gets too close.
It does cover skin very well if you have acne, but you would have to reapply so often.
I am annoyed i got tricked into buying this by the sales assistant!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by spinthebottle

I tried this for the first time today because I wanted something creamier and lighter than my usual foundation (I was using a Clinique one before) and I absolutely love this product. It goes on easily and a little goes a long way. It feels so light on my face. The colour (spin the bottle) is perfect for my skin tone and it looks flawless. I also love the smell of it. I haven't worn it for a full day yet so I don't know how well it stays on during a busy day but with the compact stick top-ups would be easy anyway. Also, the women at the Benefit counter were so helpful and easy to talk to. Definitely a convert to Benefit products. Can't wait to get some more.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2012 11:46:00 PM More reviews by sunkissed88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Horrible. Stick is so chalky, does not go on smoothly at all. Suffocates skin and causes lots of breakouts... and my skin is not sensitive or prone to acne. So overpriced, returned back to the counter.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2011 4:21:00 PM More reviews by PeachFuzzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Blahh...is my best word to describe this product. Limited color range, seems oily, doesn't have the best coverage, pricey, blah. I'm not a huge fan of benefit cosmetics.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2011 9:40:00 PM More reviews by navywendy

i tried this out as i was looking for something with medium coverage to even out my skin tone. this stuff seems to greasy and oily. as it oxidized it turned my skin orange. wont purchase again

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2011 12:54:00 PM More reviews by prncss

I purchased this to replace my MAC stick foundation which was discontinued. This is my HG foundation and it has replaced liquid and loose mineral powder foundation. This is so easy to use and non-messy! I don't have to worry about it spilling or breaking.

Before putting this on, I moisturize my face and apply to my eyes, undereye circles, nose, forehead, and chin in short strokes. Then I blend gently with a sponge. It literally takes me a minute to apply and blend, and it blends so seamlessly. The best part of the play stick is that it looks so natural and yet it has such good coverage to even out my skin tone and makes my skin look flawless when its actually not. I get compliments on my skin all the time thanks to this product. This has very good staying powder and lasts all day. Only con is that this is expensive but considering that this has lasted me 6 months, it is worth the money. Highly recommended!