LUSH Henna - Caca Noir

3.8

I've had dramas with my scalp for over a year now. Probably from using a macadamia hair product, but I digress. So I haven't been able to color my hair due to harsh chemicals in normal hair dyes. After some research, I decided to try Lush's Caca Noir. I would recommend:

1. Grating the product
2. Using disposable shower caps, doubled
3. Leaving the product as long as the neck and the nose can handle it
4. Using a damp dark wash cloth to wipe products off the hairline and exposed skin
5. Kneeling down (on a dark towel) over the shower with newspapers on the shower floor, placing the Caca bowl on the newspaper covered floor (easier workflow, neater), shower cap all in reach. Since I had to start at the back, I tipped my head forwards over the newspaper area, working gradually from the back to the front of my head. Hope this makes sense.

Other than this, I followed Lush's instruction~ boiling water to dissolve the product to unwhipped double cream consistency, three blocks for slightly longer than shoulder length hair.

Heard that others had migraine, which is unfortunate, but I think that's possible from the weight on the head or the strong smell. I personally had to wash off the product after four hours (was aiming for five) as the smell was overpowering and I had issues with migraine so I thought I'd better not risk it.

After four hours, I rinsed the product off with warm water. First, I just let the "cement" melt without scrubbing my hair, once it loosened I washed as normal. My hair felt gluey afterwards so I used Lush's Squeaky Green solid shampoo to help clean my hair better. This shampoo is kind on colored hair and my hair felt cleaner with one wash. No conditioner.

The color was not as strong as I had hoped (Asian thick black hair) ~ no blue tints, but slightly reddish undertones. The ends of my hair were not super moisturized, and the "yellowish" tint from a year old dye hasn't darkened as completely I had hoped. I used a little Morrocan oil to help with conditioning the ends of my hair. I also had to spray a little perfume so as to mask the strong odor, which I didn't quite like.

The rest of my hair seems more relaxed and softer.

I will give it two or three days to see if the color darkens further, then will recolor as necessary. I have a few strands of silver hair, and per other reviews, the result was hit and miss... Some darkened with dark red and *one* silvery one left ~ but thankfully it's not obvious.

Still, am glad I found a natural alternative to harsh boxed products which I won't ever use again.

Summary: Caca noir is good for treatment and dyeing for sensitive scalps.

Day 2 update: hair has darkened from the initial reddish tint yesterday. Also softer. <3

Day 3 update: ends of my hair darkened more so very little "yellow" undertone left. Bluish tint on the crown noticable in white light. Happy!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I loved this product. As it's also a conditioning treatment as well as a hair dye, this made my hair incredibly soft and shiny. The first time I used this, it didn't make my hair go as dark as I wanted, so I used it again a week or so later and my hair went a maroon so dark that it was almost black, if that makes sense. My hair was originally a bright red. I was so happy with the results that I recommended to a friend, she used caca brun with great results, her hair looked shinier than it ever had.

Price: I did not consider this to be expensive. It's $31NZD for 325g (six blocks). I only used two blocks (well, four blocks if you count my second time :) on my above shoulderlength hair, and the SA told me it would wash out in 2-3months.
Packaging quality: As always, environmentally friendly. I chose a block and the SA wrapped it in paper for me.

All in all, this was a great product. I loved that I could slap it on, wrap it up and run off and do something else. I went for a bike ride with this in my hair. :)
Would I buy it again? Absolutely.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

This was my first Lush henna product. I have used lots of different "cheap" henna concoctions before - mostly made at home stuff with Indian store henna powder, eucalyptus, clove, coffee and cocoa butter. Henna is an amazing conditioner, scalp rejuvenating agent and antifungal which is why I used it, but I was never too big a fan of the red colour.

I have "black" hair (I'm Indian) that tends to skew brownish and reddish already and I never really wanted to go more red or brown cause that's what my hair looks like when its damaged! After perming it a few times in a row and being outside in the sun all summer, my hair was starting to look super gross/lifeless and really faded out brown.

I bought the Lush Caca Noir because I couldn't find indigo in a store and thought I'd try it.

Process: I used 2 bricks for my thick, above the shoulder hair. Heated up water in a kettle, poured some over the bricks and let it sit, broke them down with a fork until brownie batter/yogurt consistency. Didn't add salt or vinegar or anything. Just water.
Didn't use gloves (should have..fingers now blue..) just sectioned my hair and applied it with my hands..tried to work it into my roots. Put my hair up/stuck it to my head and let it air dry for 2 hours. Wrapped it in up in saran and then a Lush knot-wrap for 4 more hours.

Cons: This stuff is MESSY. MESSY MESSY MESSY!! I am a super hippie and also really good at cleaning up after myself and I'm still a bit defeated by the mess. Rinsing took FOREVER and still kept coming up with gritty bits near my scalp - what is that?! Maybe its the coffee in the mix. Left a bluish greasy ring on the tub that came out with some ivory soap and scrubbing with a scrubber.
Also, super hard to mix. Don't follow their instructions - grate it in a cheese grater and add warm-ish, not boiling water. Way easier than breaking it down by hand/with a spoon.

Pros: Just rinsed out then henna and my hair is still wet.. but beautiful! My colour is like never before.. a super deep black that is still glossy and lovely!! No more gross brownish/dull reddish black.. I haven't noticed a blue sheen yet, but definitely a cool black with some dark dark red glints.

Bottom line: I would buy this again - it was sort of pricey, but for $20 I get three uses out of it.. Despite the mess, the results are worth it!!

LOVE the results. HATE the process. This is a (more) natural, permanent hair dye combining the powers of henna and indigo in one solid, waxy brick. It is separated into six blocks that you have to break off and mix with hot water to create a paste.

I have used Caca Noir three times. I have also dyed my hair twice with cheap, Indian grocery store powdered henna and twice with fancy henna at my salon. I really like the effect of the Caca Noir; compared to the cheap henna, it is vastly more moisturizing and conditioning (by "moisturizing," I mean it doesn't suck my hair dry and turn my hair clown red). The salon treatment was also very nice, but the color never came out as dark as I wanted - they apply the mixture (henna and indigo) and sit you under the heat lamp for a while. The effects were never as intense due to the fact that you can't exactly sit under a lamp at a salon for six hours to get maximum saturation. Also, it costs at least $70 for what is, essentially, a conditioning treatment.

Anyway, I have learned ways to make the process go more smoothly and enhance the end result:

1) Grate the blocks. The first couple of times, I wrapped the blocks in a plastic bag and crushed them with a hammer. It took forever, was loud and annoying, and there were big clumps in the resulting mixture. Those clumps made for a not-fun application, even more not-fun rinse, and they clogged my drain to boot. Sit your butt down and grate those suckers to a fine powder, even if you have to do it a week before while watching True Blood.

2) Use enough. I have bra-strap length hair, of medium thickness and I use half a brick (3 blocks) each time.

3) Use tea-hot water. I have never fiddled with coffee, teas, or whatever in the mixture, and I've always had great results. Heat until just about boiling and mix into your beautifully grated powder; stir to creamy, yogurt-y consistency. This will make it easy to spread throughout your hair without drips.

4) Use old things you don't care about. I have about half a heart attack every time because I really like mixing in things like nice Kitchen Aid and Corning vessels. The Caca has always washed off with no issues, but use old stuff to be on the safe side.

5) Wear gloves. Your nails will be wrecked! 100% grody. Gloves make it harder to spread the mixture, but I always regret it when I don't use them.

6) Spread newspapers on the floor, an old towel around your shoulders, etc. If you make a smooth mix like I detailed above, it won't splash around as much. But it will still make SOME kind of mess. Also, don't cry when you see your shower post-op. It sucks, and is the worst part, but you will scrub it and it will come off.

7) AKA THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP: After you apply the henna/indigo (which you should have done as methodically as possible), you will need to wrap your hair. I twist it into a roll, carefully and smoothly so as not to disrupt the hair pattern if that makes sense. I secure into a kind of bun/pony with an old hair tie. Basically, you want to avoid any sort of tangles or complicated wrapping, since the best bet for easy rinsing (an oxymoron) is having your hair unravel with ease. Wipe off your forehead, ears, neck etc. I let dry for an hour or two (air makes the indigo darker). I then wrap with some kind of plastic and sleep on that sucker. You don't have to leave it in that long, but at that point I'm so exhausted by the effort that I can't even think about the rinsing portion and I also hate just sitting around the house for 6 hours. Sleeping, while not the most comfy, kills two birds with one stone and gives me lots of color saturation.

I do all this crap because my hair looks awesome the next day, and even better the day after that - the color fully develops and deepens. The lovely (to me) scent also lingers a few days. I have natural tobacco-brown dark hair and this gives a warm black (slight red tinge) tinge. Gorg. PITA THOUGH. Major PITA. Especially the rinsing and bathroom cleanup. I think those that say it's not that bad probably have shorter hair and an outdoor hose to rinse with. I will for sure repurchase, but WHY does this stuff come not pre-grated????? At the very least?

Caca noir takes my thick, shoulder length hair from a dark brown to a natural-looking, healthy, glossy black. One block gives me 3 uses (1 1/2 squares each). Those who complain of the smell/mess are wimps; other than the wait, the process is no worse than any other at-home colour kit.

Minus a lippy because of the nature of henna itself. According to my hairdresser, you have to let your henna'd hair entirely grow out before you can bleach it, even if the henna is entirely faded. Black suits me well so I don't plan on dying my hair any time soon, but I'm scared that I might want to eventually!

This was hideous.

I couldn't even care less about the end result - nothing is worth the hideous smell, mess and the amount of effort required to do this.

Would not purchase again. I'd rather use chemicals.

I've used Caca Noir twice now. I have hair that has been dyed before, and is around the length of my ears. I needed two squares, but had a little bit left over. First time, I didn't mix enough water in, and it didn't take well but I did notice it turned my grey/white hairs brown, but not black. I didn't use clingfilm/saran wrap the first time. It went absolutely everywhere and I felt like an idiot for not following the instructions.

Second time around, I grated it, mixed with cup-of-tea-temperature boiled water, mixed, and was ready to go in about ten minutes. Worked it into my hair from back to forward, concentrating on my roots and areas where I know there are white hairs. Left it in for just over three hours under clingfilm/saran wrap. I didn't have any problems rinsing it out - I just knelt next to my bathtub, used my shower head, and rinsed until the water ran clear (about 7-10 minutes at most).

My hair is naturally very dark brown, and I've got a lot of white strands that just irritate the hell out of me. I like how well it conditions and how soft my hair is. I don't like the smell, and I'm not happy that it didn't cover the grey as well as I'd hoped. I'll try one more time and see if it covers the grey. Both times, my grey hair was like a medium-brown colour, which is strange to me because I used the Noir blocks. The rest of my hair was deepened to a very glossy black. It lasted for me about two weeks or so.

UPDATE: It seems to be irritating my sensitive scalp. :(

This CaCa is the Shizznits!!! For reals...i would walk thru a storm to get my hand on this caca ...haha !!! ok maybe not but u get the idea how much i heart this treatment. This product nourishes my weak prone to breakage hair. it adds body to my limpy hair and it covers my grey hair. If your suffering from hairloss like me you can add aloe vera,2 tbs of apple cider vinerger and rosemary tea infusion if u want. I will NEVER go back to using damaging hair dyes ever again. Thank u lush for making quality products for us and the enviroment.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this product thinking I would use it on myself, but instead I opted to use it on my best friend who needed a color refreshment.

Her hair was a medium auburn to start out with. We mixed three blocks of Noir (ground very fine) with some lemon juice and warm coffee - enough to make a yogurt-like paste. It smells like... well.. something illegal, haha. And it looks like, well what it was named after! They were not kidding about that.

Anyway. I caked her entire head with the stuff, making sure I got all the roots, etc. We then wrapped her head in saran wrap and THEN tin foil too. If you want more of a brownish tone from the indigo, let your hair air dry. My friend wanted more reddish tones, so we opted to trap as much body heat as possible. Poor thing, she looked like an absolute weirdo for a few hours! Haha. We made her some foil alien antennas though, to keep it professional.

We left t on for three hours, occasionally attending to some drips of noir from the foil. Clean up was no messier than any other hair dye, just smelled different.

The results were amaaaazing! Her hair went from a regular auburn to a dark brown with beautiful coppery red highlights. Looks like autumn leaves, as corny as that sounds. My hair is already black, otherwise I would have done it too just seeing her results.

And, it conditioned her hair like you wouldn't believe. Her hair is extremely heat damaged and overprocessed, and the Noir made it super soft, shiny, healthy, and just effing beautiful.

Highly, highly recommend this product! Can't wait til I lighten my hair and I can use it myself :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I used this recently to dye over my dark blond hair and highlights. Even if this did nothing for my colour, I would continue to use it for what it has done for the condition of my hair. It's like I have someone else's hair on my head! It's super glossy, soft, and silky - something no conditioner has ever been able to do to my hair. I had to do the entire process thrice to get my hair as dark as i wanted it. Indigo loses efficacy when it's heated so DON'T follow the instructions on the package for best results. Skip the bain marie routine and just use hot water from the tap or brewed black coffee (still warm, just not boiling). I added a tablespoon of amla powder as well to push the colour towards brown and a teaspoon of salt to make the indigo stick. I covered my hair with a shower cap and scarf and left it on for about six hours. I washed it with a cheapie conditioner - it took ages, but it was worth it. Love, love, love this stuff!

Top Rated LUSH Products