LUSH Henna - Caca Noir

3.8

on 10/8/2011 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

This was my first Lush henna product. I have used lots of different "cheap" henna concoctions before - mostly made at home stuff with Indian store henna powder, eucalyptus, clove, coffee and cocoa butter. Henna is an amazing conditioner, scalp rejuvenating agent and antifungal which is why I used it, but I was never too big a fan of the red colour.

I have "black" hair (I'm Indian) that tends to skew brownish and reddish already and I never really wanted to go more red or brown cause that's what my hair looks like when its damaged! After perming it a few times in a row and being outside in the sun all summer, my hair was starting to look super gross/lifeless and really faded out brown.

I bought the Lush Caca Noir because I couldn't find indigo in a store and thought I'd try it.

Process: I used 2 bricks for my thick, above the shoulder hair. Heated up water in a kettle, poured some over the bricks and let it sit, broke them down with a fork until brownie batter/yogurt consistency. Didn't add salt or vinegar or anything. Just water.
Didn't use gloves (should have..fingers now blue..) just sectioned my hair and applied it with my hands..tried to work it into my roots. Put my hair up/stuck it to my head and let it air dry for 2 hours. Wrapped it in up in saran and then a Lush knot-wrap for 4 more hours.

Cons: This stuff is MESSY. MESSY MESSY MESSY!! I am a super hippie and also really good at cleaning up after myself and I'm still a bit defeated by the mess. Rinsing took FOREVER and still kept coming up with gritty bits near my scalp - what is that?! Maybe its the coffee in the mix. Left a bluish greasy ring on the tub that came out with some ivory soap and scrubbing with a scrubber.
Also, super hard to mix. Don't follow their instructions - grate it in a cheese grater and add warm-ish, not boiling water. Way easier than breaking it down by hand/with a spoon.

Pros: Just rinsed out then henna and my hair is still wet.. but beautiful! My colour is like never before.. a super deep black that is still glossy and lovely!! No more gross brownish/dull reddish black.. I haven't noticed a blue sheen yet, but definitely a cool black with some dark dark red glints.

Bottom line: I would buy this again - it was sort of pricey, but for $20 I get three uses out of it.. Despite the mess, the results are worth it!!

on 9/12/2011 2:31:00 PM

LOVE the results. HATE the process. This is a (more) natural, permanent hair dye combining the powers of henna and indigo in one solid, waxy brick. It is separated into six blocks that you have to break off and mix with hot water to create a paste.

I have used Caca Noir three times. I have also dyed my hair twice with cheap, Indian grocery store powdered henna and twice with fancy henna at my salon. I really like the effect of the Caca Noir; compared to the cheap henna, it is vastly more moisturizing and conditioning (by "moisturizing," I mean it doesn't suck my hair dry and turn my hair clown red). The salon treatment was also very nice, but the color never came out as dark as I wanted - they apply the mixture (henna and indigo) and sit you under the heat lamp for a while. The effects were never as intense due to the fact that you can't exactly sit under a lamp at a salon for six hours to get maximum saturation. Also, it costs at least $70 for what is, essentially, a conditioning treatment.

Anyway, I have learned ways to make the process go more smoothly and enhance the end result:

1) Grate the blocks. The first couple of times, I wrapped the blocks in a plastic bag and crushed them with a hammer. It took forever, was loud and annoying, and there were big clumps in the resulting mixture. Those clumps made for a not-fun application, even more not-fun rinse, and they clogged my drain to boot. Sit your butt down and grate those suckers to a fine powder, even if you have to do it a week before while watching True Blood.

2) Use enough. I have bra-strap length hair, of medium thickness and I use half a brick (3 blocks) each time.

3) Use tea-hot water. I have never fiddled with coffee, teas, or whatever in the mixture, and I've always had great results. Heat until just about boiling and mix into your beautifully grated powder; stir to creamy, yogurt-y consistency. This will make it easy to spread throughout your hair without drips.

4) Use old things you don't care about. I have about half a heart attack every time because I really like mixing in things like nice Kitchen Aid and Corning vessels. The Caca has always washed off with no issues, but use old stuff to be on the safe side.

5) Wear gloves. Your nails will be wrecked! 100% grody. Gloves make it harder to spread the mixture, but I always regret it when I don't use them.

6) Spread newspapers on the floor, an old towel around your shoulders, etc. If you make a smooth mix like I detailed above, it won't splash around as much. But it will still make SOME kind of mess. Also, don't cry when you see your shower post-op. It sucks, and is the worst part, but you will scrub it and it will come off.

7) AKA THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP: After you apply the henna/indigo (which you should have done as methodically as possible), you will need to wrap your hair. I twist it into a roll, carefully and smoothly so as not to disrupt the hair pattern if that makes sense. I secure into a kind of bun/pony with an old hair tie. Basically, you want to avoid any sort of tangles or complicated wrapping, since the best bet for easy rinsing (an oxymoron) is having your hair unravel with ease. Wipe off your forehead, ears, neck etc. I let dry for an hour or two (air makes the indigo darker). I then wrap with some kind of plastic and sleep on that sucker. You don't have to leave it in that long, but at that point I'm so exhausted by the effort that I can't even think about the rinsing portion and I also hate just sitting around the house for 6 hours. Sleeping, while not the most comfy, kills two birds with one stone and gives me lots of color saturation.

I do all this crap because my hair looks awesome the next day, and even better the day after that - the color fully develops and deepens. The lovely (to me) scent also lingers a few days. I have natural tobacco-brown dark hair and this gives a warm black (slight red tinge) tinge. Gorg. PITA THOUGH. Major PITA. Especially the rinsing and bathroom cleanup. I think those that say it's not that bad probably have shorter hair and an outdoor hose to rinse with. I will for sure repurchase, but WHY does this stuff come not pre-grated????? At the very least?

on 8/23/2011 1:04:00 AM

Caca noir takes my thick, shoulder length hair from a dark brown to a natural-looking, healthy, glossy black. One block gives me 3 uses (1 1/2 squares each). Those who complain of the smell/mess are wimps; other than the wait, the process is no worse than any other at-home colour kit.

Minus a lippy because of the nature of henna itself. According to my hairdresser, you have to let your henna'd hair entirely grow out before you can bleach it, even if the henna is entirely faded. Black suits me well so I don't plan on dying my hair any time soon, but I'm scared that I might want to eventually!

on 6/25/2011 8:16:00 AM

This was hideous.

I couldn't even care less about the end result - nothing is worth the hideous smell, mess and the amount of effort required to do this.

Would not purchase again. I'd rather use chemicals.

on 4/20/2011 11:06:00 AM

I've used Caca Noir twice now. I have hair that has been dyed before, and is around the length of my ears. I needed two squares, but had a little bit left over. First time, I didn't mix enough water in, and it didn't take well but I did notice it turned my grey/white hairs brown, but not black. I didn't use clingfilm/saran wrap the first time. It went absolutely everywhere and I felt like an idiot for not following the instructions.

Second time around, I grated it, mixed with cup-of-tea-temperature boiled water, mixed, and was ready to go in about ten minutes. Worked it into my hair from back to forward, concentrating on my roots and areas where I know there are white hairs. Left it in for just over three hours under clingfilm/saran wrap. I didn't have any problems rinsing it out - I just knelt next to my bathtub, used my shower head, and rinsed until the water ran clear (about 7-10 minutes at most).

My hair is naturally very dark brown, and I've got a lot of white strands that just irritate the hell out of me. I like how well it conditions and how soft my hair is. I don't like the smell, and I'm not happy that it didn't cover the grey as well as I'd hoped. I'll try one more time and see if it covers the grey. Both times, my grey hair was like a medium-brown colour, which is strange to me because I used the Noir blocks. The rest of my hair was deepened to a very glossy black. It lasted for me about two weeks or so.

UPDATE: It seems to be irritating my sensitive scalp. :(

on 4/2/2011 2:16:00 AM

This CaCa is the Shizznits!!! For reals...i would walk thru a storm to get my hand on this caca ...haha !!! ok maybe not but u get the idea how much i heart this treatment. This product nourishes my weak prone to breakage hair. it adds body to my limpy hair and it covers my grey hair. If your suffering from hairloss like me you can add aloe vera,2 tbs of apple cider vinerger and rosemary tea infusion if u want. I will NEVER go back to using damaging hair dyes ever again. Thank u lush for making quality products for us and the enviroment.

on 10/13/2010 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this product thinking I would use it on myself, but instead I opted to use it on my best friend who needed a color refreshment.

Her hair was a medium auburn to start out with. We mixed three blocks of Noir (ground very fine) with some lemon juice and warm coffee - enough to make a yogurt-like paste. It smells like... well.. something illegal, haha. And it looks like, well what it was named after! They were not kidding about that.

Anyway. I caked her entire head with the stuff, making sure I got all the roots, etc. We then wrapped her head in saran wrap and THEN tin foil too. If you want more of a brownish tone from the indigo, let your hair air dry. My friend wanted more reddish tones, so we opted to trap as much body heat as possible. Poor thing, she looked like an absolute weirdo for a few hours! Haha. We made her some foil alien antennas though, to keep it professional.

We left t on for three hours, occasionally attending to some drips of noir from the foil. Clean up was no messier than any other hair dye, just smelled different.

The results were amaaaazing! Her hair went from a regular auburn to a dark brown with beautiful coppery red highlights. Looks like autumn leaves, as corny as that sounds. My hair is already black, otherwise I would have done it too just seeing her results.

And, it conditioned her hair like you wouldn't believe. Her hair is extremely heat damaged and overprocessed, and the Noir made it super soft, shiny, healthy, and just effing beautiful.

Highly, highly recommend this product! Can't wait til I lighten my hair and I can use it myself :)

on 10/2/2010 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I used this recently to dye over my dark blond hair and highlights. Even if this did nothing for my colour, I would continue to use it for what it has done for the condition of my hair. It's like I have someone else's hair on my head! It's super glossy, soft, and silky - something no conditioner has ever been able to do to my hair. I had to do the entire process thrice to get my hair as dark as i wanted it. Indigo loses efficacy when it's heated so DON'T follow the instructions on the package for best results. Skip the bain marie routine and just use hot water from the tap or brewed black coffee (still warm, just not boiling). I added a tablespoon of amla powder as well to push the colour towards brown and a teaspoon of salt to make the indigo stick. I covered my hair with a shower cap and scarf and left it on for about six hours. I washed it with a cheapie conditioner - it took ages, but it was worth it. Love, love, love this stuff!

on 7/16/2010 3:10:00 AM

I have done all th Lush No Cacas except Marron. I loved the rouge but when my hairstyle changed I changed to colour and gradually kept getting darker. I started with chemically VERY damaged - I did A LOT to my hair - med-dk brown - similar to my natural colour. The indigo is the blue/green colour everyone talks about - in the Noir. I have done both wrapped and non wrapped and I have also did it with a bain marie and just hot tap water. I found that I didn;t get much out of the colour if it was wrapped but unwrapped made it a gorgeous VERY dark colour. I leave mine on 6-8 hours. Also, I found that if you are having a hard time rinsing - let the water run on it as you mush it into your scap as you rinse or hang over a tub full of water and swish your head back and forth helps a lot too. Cleaning it up gets easier as you develope the desirable consistency and as long as you wipe it right away you are fine. It is definately worth not having a chemical reaction and for myself - worth the fact it is one product not tested on animals. The hair dyes you buy in the store ARE tested on animals. You can always add clipins for highlights later. It layers on itself so as you layer each time you apply teh colour becomes richer or more vibrant. Don't judge it right after either - it DOES take about 4-5 days to fully oxidize and deepen - no matter what colour you choose.

on 7/13/2010 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have shoulder length, dark brown hair with blonde highlights which are growing out. I uses 3 blocks of caca noir( 2 would have been enough) I grated it and added hot tap water and 1tsp of salt to make the indigo/henna stick. Applied it, by talking globs of it and putting in in my hair,just like you would shampoo your hair( wear rubber gloves) wasted very messy.Takes about 10min.

Left it on for 2.5 hrs, unvovered cuz i wanted a more black /brown colour. Cover it in saran wrap if you want a reddish undertone. Rinsed it out while in the shower. Shampooed and conditioned with a sulfate -free products so that it wont strip the colour.

RESULTS

DAY 1- same day after i blow dried it, my hair was a jet black, but when i went out in the light , it had a greenish tint( the blonde highlights turned a mossy green) I was freaking out and thought that since my hair was previously color treated, thats why it turned green ( even though that was over a year ago) but then read that sometimes indigo does this to hair cuz the indigo has to oxidize which may take 48hrs. so i decided to wait it out.

DAY 2- the next day,, my hair was a black with deep brown highlights. the green tint was gone! But my hair was sooo dry, it felt like hay. That evening i put on a Morrocan hydrating hair mask.

DAY 3- the final colour was a dark chocolate brown with caramel highlights in the light. My hair was soft, shiny and lots of volume. I love the colour and would defiantly use caca noir again.

Top Rated LUSH Products