LUSH You Snap the Whip Body Butter

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I truly enjoyed using this product. I like that it's dark and really shows up on your skin because it allows you to see exactly where and how much you've applied. Plus, you feel like you're painting yourself, which is fun. I also love the way it feels on my skin during and after use. It exfoliates really well but not harshly, and leaves my skin feeling surprisingly soft.

The smell is interesting. To me, it smells of root beer with a splash of cherry soda. I do like it a lot, but I'm not sure why people rave about it. It's also muted by the mineral smell of the charcoal and pumice, which is actually rather soothing to me. It does linger throughout the day, but the smell that lingers is vaguely reminiscent of those scratch and sniff stickers from my childhood. Again, not bad, but nothing to write home about either.

I would say my only real complaint about this product is that it doesn't last long. The first time around, I applied it all over my body, and at least 1/4 of it was gone. I so wish that LUSH could find a way to make this last longer, charge less for it, or both. Until then, I'm saving this product for special occasions.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Why does this product have such meh reviews? It is one of my absolute favorite products EVER. First off, it smells divine. The first few times I used it I had to keep smelling myself. (The scent is similar to LUSH's Comforter products, but a little heavier on the black currant.) It exfoliates really well and leaves my skin feeling super-dreamy. The only negative (which isn't really a negative) is that it melts rather easily if you leave it in the shower. I cut mine into little cubes (single-serve pieces, basically) to get the most life out of it. If LUSH ever discontinues this I will cry for days.

on 6/12/2011 10:37:00 PM

This is my fav butter body bar. I used to like the other ones but got fed up of the greasy feel they left. This one is not greasy. It smells like the comforter bubble bar. I chopped this up into little pieces and just took a bit at a time into the shower. It lasted ages. The particles were not too big either and very fine which meant nice exfloiation without being too abrassive.

on 5/4/2011 6:31:00 AM

ive literally just jumped out of the shower to review YSTW. it is honestly one of my fave lush products out!! gave a good scrub and didnt rip the skin from my bones off and is absolutely moisturised smooth and nomnomnom ^.^ i used it on my whole body after popping out of the shower ,air drying for a couple seconds and let rip. this is by far my favourite lush scent ever!! i wish theyd make it into a soap or gel or smoothie or something else more daily usable!! (the closest being sweetie pie). i paid $20NZ and it definitely is steep in price (esp since i used half of it in one hit! yikes!!) but i would buy it again in the future as one of those little treats in life... and attempt to learn how to use not so much of the flippn' thing :)

on 3/29/2011 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

ETA: My skin broke out terribly recently and while I'm not convinced it was this product that did it, I don't think it helped.

I've been using this product for two weeks as a facial cleanser and I love it! I have oily, acne-prone skin and decided to try this to remove my makeup on a whim. The combination of charcoal and pumice not only took off every trace of makeup but also left my skin smooth, glowy, and soft. I was worried that the nut oil and cocoa butter would clog my pores, but so far, so good! I was actually going through a breakout phase when I started using this and haven't broken out since. Maybe it's the charcoal?

I usually wet my skin, then rub the bar over my face. Then I use my fingers to gently scrub my skin in circles and rinse off. I'm left with perfectly smooth, clear skin.

I don't go for fruity scents and am not enamored by this one. It smells like sheesha/hookah tobacco to me...BUT my boyfriend loves it and for the results I'm getting, I'll overlook the scent.

on 2/15/2011 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this product. I know that people's main complaints were the [1] it leaves your tub black and [2] it melts too quickly. I read about these issues before I bought it, so I honestly walked into LUSH planning on NOT buying it. Then I smelled it. It's different than other scents at LUSH. It's a berry, vanilla, sweet scent. I was expecting a strong, licorice type scent, probably based on its color, but I was so wrong. This is one of my favorite scents of all time.

Before I used it, I made sure to come up with solutions to possible complaints. First, I usually smooth this over my legs after I shave for a non-greasy, moisturizing base for either lotion during the day, or a massage bar at night. The way I do this is to lift my leg out of the water, let it dry for a second or two, pick up the DRY bar with a DRY hand, and quickly rub it over my leg. You don't have to spend forever rubbing this on your legs, just swipe it over and you'll be good.

I tried doing what some others did and simply cutting off a piece, but I hated it. The small chunk was too hard to hold, and once I realized that it will last quite a while if you don't pick it up with a wet hand, I just ended up using the whole thing.

In regards to the issue of it turning your tub black, I figured out a solution to that, too. Since I use it in the tub after a bath, I simply rinse off my legs in the bath water, then let the tub drain while I put on lotion or use a massage bar. After it drains, you will see little black granules in your tub. I turn on the shower as hot as it will go, let it run for a minute or two, and the black is all gone.

All in all, I will definitely buy this product again. I love the scent, I love how it just rinses out of my tub, I love how moisturizing it is for my skin, and I can also make it last for quite a while. I've used it about 8 times, and it's only about 60% (or less) gone.

on 8/24/2010 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

While I think this product smells amazing - and it does a great job of moisturizing...it is so so so messy! It turned my entire shower black and clogged up the drain. I'm gonna have to pass on this one for re-purchase.

on 8/16/2010 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

This product is very buttery with grains in it for exfoliating. The initial scent is nice, but after a while it smells weird and chemically. I don't know maybe it's just my nose. It's good for exfoliation. I take the bar in the shower and scrub. I like the fact that I can really concentrate where to scrub because this is in a bar form. I could probably get over the smell and keep using it. But the real downer of this product is the fact that it doesn't last at all. One use and it's half gone. I can see purchasing this for one or two occasions if you want to treat yourself, but it could get pricey as a staple.

on 8/14/2010 6:39:00 PM

Cost way to much for how quickly you go thru it. Every stroke on the skin melts off far too much product. Also this stuff claims to be super scrubby and it's not. There's a little scrub to it but it's very mild, wimpy even. It leaves a black/greyish residue on my skin that is really hard to wash off. When I smelled it in the store, it smelled musky and wonderful, but once I used it a gross fruity smell arose. I don't like fruity smells so that's the fianl nail in the coffin for this one. If you want a GREAT body butter try The Soft Touch (love it!) - it still gets used pretty fast but I love the smell and how soft it makes my skin.

on 8/2/2010 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

So I've officially become a Lush Addict. You Snap the Whip Body Butter is probably my favorite product of all. It comes in a Black Square that starts to melt when you touch it. The body butter tin is essential. Made with powdered and bergamot and blackberry currant oils, this exfoliant is fantastical! When I got this bar, I was definately hesitant because of it's color, but the smell - oh my the smell!!! blackberry currant is so lovely, I can't help but to smell myself!! I started reading reviews from other users. They found that it didn't last long and had issue with the black sticking to the tub. So. I decided to cut my bar up into small pieces or cubes. I take a little cube, away from the water, and rub the bit on my arms, legs and bum. If I have any left over I rub over my other bits. Then I rinse. I have extremely dry skin and I don't I don't really need to put on lotion after using. (TIP: Instead of drying off with a towel, airdry so your skin absorbs the oils. The black doesn't stick to my tub, and I would suspect that the color won't stick to a clean tub but probably will still to bath scum - if this is an issue, try cleaning after use with Ajax. I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to my bath, and I always clean after every use.