August 21, 2014 | 1019 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Ultrabland

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 10:51:00 PM More reviews by tdawgz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

At first I had doubts about this product because it's so natural so I didnt think it'd 'work' or have any effect on my skin, but this is the best cleanser I have ever used. Other drugstore cleaners have so many chemicals in them and used to leave my face feeling tight and dry afterwards, but Ultrabland leaves it feeling so soft, smooth and moisturised. I wipe it all off with a warm flannel and then use the Skin Drink moisturiser by Lush and my skin has honestly never felt this amazing and healthy. Will definitely be repurchasing, I never want to use anything else!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 5:00:00 PM More reviews by Molleeeee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

What an amazing cleanser. Everyone needs a natural oil based cleanser in their lives. This is perfect as it would work for all skin types ( don't be put off if you are oily or acne prone like me ! ) And is one of the only natural oil based cleansers for a decent price. All I do is rub this onto a full face of make up at night, get right into the lashes and lash line, then use a flannel to remove. You should also do this twice ( first cleanse to remove make up, second to actually cleanse skin ). Yes it will leave a slight oil residue but it's all good oils and nothing a decent toner can't fix. It has brilliant ingredients for the price and consists mostly of beeswax, no horrible cheap chemically oils, for 7 for a small pot and 11 for a big one. This has really improved my terrible spotty skin, and once I discovered this I changed my entire skin routine and now my skin is awesome. Anyway, if you are thinking about buying this I say go for it!! Perfect every day cleanser especially if you want good quality without a ridiculous price tag!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 4:42:00 PM More reviews by giraffe4994

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I cannot rave about this product enough!
I am an esthetician (studying in school still), and just to give you an idea, my skin is pretty complicated. It's acne prone, but definitely less acne prone since I'm no longer in my teenage years. 99% of my breakouts are hormonal, and I hardly ever breakout on my forehead, I usually only breakout on my chin and lower cheek area. My skin is also asphyxiated, and to explain it simply I have a lot of clogged pores and blackheads, a lot of characteristics of oily skin (enlarged pores, blackheads, pustules) but my skin physically feels tight and looks and feels dry.
To put it even more simply, it's dry on top, oily underneath. Obviously, this makes it really hard to find good products that can work and balance out my skin, products that don't exacerbate the problem and products that can actually break through my complex skin- but this stuff is IT. HG status absolutely.
The smell is..well, bland as the name would indicate. There's no fragrance or colour or anything unnecessary added to this which makes me feel good.
The texture is obviously a cleansing balm, so it's super duper thick and moisturizing, my skin has never felt so plump and has never looked so glowing and healthy. I find it sooooo luxurious to use, I just love rubbing it in, which is great because now I actually take the time to rub it in for a good minute or so.
I love how well it takes off and breaks down makeup, even waterproof mascara comes right off because of the beeswax in it, and breaks down even the heaviest foundation I sometimes wear (Estee Lauder Double Wear)
I absolutely LOVE that it contains natural honey, which is not only a great moisturizer but also has fantastic anti-bacterial properties to help with my breakouts. I definitely notice that this is a great deep cleanser. A lot of my clogged pores and blackheads, especially on my nose and chin, have come loose and have been washed away.
I've only been using this cleanser for about 2 and a half weeks but I already notice the biggest difference in the way my skin looks and feels, it is such an improvement.
If you think you might have skin similar to mine I would 100% recommend this to you to at least try and sample it. Lush is fantastic with their samples, I find.

How I use it:
I usually only wash my skin when I get home for the day, not in the morning, but this is how I use it.

While my makeup is still on and my face is dry, I will grab about half a grape size amount and work it all around my face. I just take the time to rub it in well and enjoy it, I find this is so luxurious, I just love to use it.

After I have rubbed it in for about a minute or so (sometimes I lose track of time because I just enjoy using it that much), I take 2 cellulose sponges and wet them with lukewarm water, and then I just wipe all of the product and leftover makeup off, starting from the center of my neck, moving outwards, and slowly moving up my face all the way to my forehead. (You NEED to wipe this off with either sponges, a face cloth, or cotton pads. You cannot just rinse this cleanser off, it doesn't remove that way, therefore this cleanser can be a bit more time consuming than a regular face cleansing gel or cream.)

After that is done, I wet my face with lukewarm water, take about the same size amount of ultrabland as before and work it into my face again, just to make sure my face is fully cleansed of makeup and debris. After rubbing it in again for about a minute, I grab my cellulose sponges, I quickly clean them with Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap (I like the Almond one or the Tea Tree) and then I run them over my face again in the same way as before, neck up and outwards, and I'm done with the cleansing process! I wash my sponges again with Dr. Bronner's and leave them to dry overnight.

After I'm finished, I spray my face with Lush's Breath of Fresh Air toner and then moisturize with Lush's Celestial moisturizer.

**Lush in no way payed me to write this and I have no affiliation with Lush whatsoever even though it kinda sounds like I do. They probably don't even know I'm writing this, I seriously just find Lush's skincare products work best for my skin**

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Not sure why this didn't work for me.

I have combination, sensitive skin prone to hormonal acne. I've been using cream cleansers exclusively for over a year now. I also oil-cleanse on occasion, so I thought this cleanser would be right up my alley. I massaged a dime-sized amount all over my face and used a warm, wet washcloth to steam it off and remove my sunscreen and minimal makeup (concealer, eyeliner). While my makeup and sunscreen were gone, it left my face inexplicably dry, red, and flaky despite the fact that I used moisturizer. It took my skin a couple of days to recover. Thankfully, I'd only requested a sample from a Lush SA and hadn't committed to a full-size version of the product. Won't be going near this again!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 2:29:00 AM More reviews by sayshal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So for years I had been using Lush's Dark Angels on my combination skin and it had worked wonderfully. It's a wonderful product, but for some reason when I turned 21 it slowly stopped working for me. I developed cystic acne around my mouth and forehead, as well as on top of my cheekbones. I tried EVERYTHING. Murad, Pro-Active, and finally a dermatologist. Though the benzoyl peroxide cream my derm prescribed cleared up the acne, it left me skin burning and peeling and rather painful. So I journeyed back to lush, on a mission to try something else. I was thinking aqua marina or Angels on bare skin, but the sales associate pointed me towards ultrabland. Skeptical, I brought it home and immediately hated it, it was sticky and gross. Then I re-read the directions, which stated to remove with a damp cloth. The next day I gave it a second chance and found that with the wash cloth it wasn't so bad. I've been using this product for two weeks now and my skin has cleared up significantly. Also the dry skin I usually have on my cheeks during the winter has also vanished using this cleanser. Sure, I still have some small pimples on my chin, but they are on the surface, are not painful, and have lessened to less than three at a time. I have high hopes that if I continue using ultrabland my skin may clear up completely. I will update this review in another two weeks. So far, so good =).

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 8:10:00 AM More reviews by Yeezytaughtme

i love this stuff. i mainly use it to remove my makeup before cleansing. just apply it on a damp washcloth and wipe away makeup, gentle enough to use on eyes. this is great for removing waterproof mascara

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 2:26:00 PM More reviews by bublebulle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I didn't want to jump into the Lush wagon for years until my sister gave me an Ultrabland sample. And since, it's love for their face cleansers! lol. I have a dehydrated, acne-prone, combination skin so it's pretty much a nightmare for me to keep it looking good especially when I'm in PMS. My southern-east Asian descent also gave me patches and uneven skin to deal with. Now you get a rough idea of what I'm looking for to counteract all these.

I've always read that using oils on my skin would worsen my issues and until recently, I followed this rule without any significative results. Worse, some people told me not to moisturize because I have an oily T-zone! Seriously?? Something was obviously wrong. For example, I was told not to use cleansing oils but honestly had no problem at all using them - to me they're the best to remove makeup quickly and efficiently. So I thought "why not taking it a step further?" and decided to go for cleansing balms. I'm so happy I did!!

This is what has worked on me for several months now...
=> Morning routine: I use Lush Angels On Bare Skin or Lush Let The Good Times Roll. They both gently exfoliate, leaving my skin clean but not tight with the bonus of a wonderful scent to begin a new day. I then pat dry my face before spraying my face with Sanoflore floral water followed by an eye cream and a moisturizer.
=> Night routine: I double cleanse. I begin by removing my makeup with a mineral oil-free cleansing oil (my favorites are DHC Deep Cleansing Oil and MAC Cleanse Off Oil), pat my skin dry and follow with the Lush Ultrabland which I gently massage over my face and neck for 2 to 3 minutes to break down what may be left of makeup and SPF. The face massage also helps relaxing and puts the stress of the day away. I then soak a clean washcloth with warm water, wring it out and put it on my face for like 30 seconds for further relaxation. It breaks the oils down so won't be leaving this greasy film that would eventually clog my pores. Again, I soak with warm water and wring the washcloth out for then gently remove the product. Pat my face dry once more. My skin feels really clean and calm at this stage, so I continue with one of Sanoflore floral waters suited for my skin type and finish with my eyes and face moisturizers.

It's been a few months that I do this routine and my skin feels amazing and looks the best I've ever seen on myself. I still break out from time to time, but it is minimal and quickly fades away with the help of Vichy Normaderm Hyaluspot treatment. My skin is definitely more even, balanced (no super dry cheeks or over oily T-zone anymore) and people have been commenting on how good my skin looked though I wasn't wearing any makeup at all which is the first time in my life! I must say that it feels pretty amazing! ^^

Pros:
- Love the bee wax scent, even if it feels a little strange at first! lol.
- It's effective, even though I really prefer using a cleansing oil beforehand,as double cleansing has really worked for me until now.
- Leaves the skin hydrated and plumped, but also very clean.
- Affordable. Not on the cheaper side but not pricey either which makes this cleanser a good value for the money.

Cons:
- You can't use this in a hurry if you want to properly take the oils off your face.This is why I only use it at night.
- Contains parabens. They are marked as safe on the Lush website but several studies have shown potential harm from propylparaben. Ultrabland has it in its ingredients list.

In short:
This is a lovely product that I look forward to use each night because it is now part of a very effective, relaxing routine. I'm frustrated by the parabens it contains but since I try to minimize the use of products with them in my stash, hopefully I'm quite safe on this part. Now that I discovered the wonderful world of cleansing balms, I'll probably try the Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm and the Emma Hardie Moringa Balm next.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 9:48:00 AM More reviews by snowwhyte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have combination dry skin and i'm twenty years old.

This may be one of the best cleansers I've ever used. It is very gentle and left my skin absolutely glowing and the softest it's felt in a while.

I had one main concern as I had very acne prone skin prior accutane I was worried that the "clingy type film" left after using this that i'd been told about would be a problem. When I bought this I made sure to ask how to best remove it, I was told a good toner and a moderately steamy wash cloth would remove it and it certainly does the job, so if you're having problems removing it you should probably look into giving it a try.

My honest opinion is that it's a fantastic product but it's not for everyone, before you splurge ask kindly for a sample to try. It's better to try then spend the full amount just to have it cause breakouts.

All in all works fantastically for me personally.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 6:07:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Love! I repurchase a couple small tubs of this stuff every winter. When I feel I need something a little more soothing than cold cream, out comes the Ultrabland to remove my makeup. I either double-cleanse with this or oil cleanse after the first wipe to remove any leftover makeup+cream gunk. I love that it cooperates with my dry skin and keeps me moisturized for longer than regular cold cream in wintertime.

UPDATE 6/26/14: OK, so I tried switching to something lighter for the summer and it was just not the same! I love how easily this removes the bullet-and-cleanserproof double layer of sunscreen I slap on in summertime. Toward the end of the winter I no longer felt the need to use anything other than this for my face -- e.g., no more double cleansing with oil -- but now that I'm using waterproof mascara I sometimes like to go over my eye area again with some micellar water just to be sure it's all gone.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/9/2014 6:34:00 AM More reviews by rosieposie64

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Agh terrible, terrible - gives spots. I was recommended this in store to remove makeup from my sensitive skin. No matter what I tried (weeks of persistence in case my skin was 'purging' and removing it with a hot cloth/second cleanse) it gave me terrible, terrible spots, breakouts and lumps all over my face. It was so hard to get off the skin after using, was really clingy and greasy (I think because of the beeswax). Terrible product, don't buy it!!