L'Oreal Preference True Brunettes

3.0

on 11/17/2011 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I have to rate this product based on my results, but I do hold myself partly responsible for getting lousy results. Before using this, I had natural dark ash blonde hair color but wanted to go brown. After using two different dyes and achieving light brown hair, I finally decided I wanted to try medium brown. Big mistake, it was way too dark for my pale complexion because it practically looked black. I thought that I could use this, L'Oreal UL61, to correct my mistake. According to the L'Oreal rep I spoke to, I should have used color remover instead. This shade has bleach in it and it is made for NATURALLY medium to dark brown hair only. I ended up with WHITE roots because the dye was bleaching out my natural dark blonde hair color! Also, using this made me lose hair. We're talking handfuls of hair :-( So, keep that in mind if you are considering using this dye. It is meant to bleach out dark hair and only natural dark hair. NOT hair that has been dyed dark. I wanted to go back to dark blonde, but the dye didn't work well on my white roots so to correct it, I have to dye them dark again and try to match to the rest of my hair. I just wanted to leave this review to help anyone avoid my mistake. My advice is to call the L'Oreal 800 number first to make sure this shade will work on your hair!

on 11/2/2011 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love this color. After using Feria's Downtown Brown for a year now the store was out and I didnt want to drive 45 minutes to the next town so I tried Loreal high lift U61. I had a 1/2 of regrowth and it is very dark almost black hair. I used this formula on the roots for about 45 minutes first since the ends were already lightened. The I put it on the rest of my hair and left it for another 30 minutes. when I rinsed it out the firest 5 inches was lighter than the last 8 inches which were much darker and slightly green in color because of the ash tone but I knew what to do I took some Head and Shoulders and put it on my hair dry down to the roots and left it for about 30 minutes rinsed it and wow it's all the same color down to my tips a little darker than what they are calling the new blond. This is awesome stuff I'm switching from Feria to this!

on 10/10/2011 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I dont usually leave reviews but I just had to about this product. This review is for loreal preference 5.1 ultra lightening natural brown. I am mixed race with very dark brown- black hair. I have tried so many times to put highlights through my hair with bleach, only for my hair to turn orange. I have tried so many dark brown, light brown, beige brown hair colours and NOTHING has had any effect.

After trying this colour I was SO pleased. If you follow the instructions on the box you will be too. My hair was lightened to a medium brown shade, with only the odd area where the roots were slightly lighter (probably due to my error more than anything). The colour is AMAZING. My hair doesnt feel in awful condition as it has done before with other hair colours. Really really pleased.

Would recommend this to anyone who wants to lighten really dark hair without having to use straight bleach!

on 10/8/2011 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hmm, I wonder if some of the people who left negative reviews followed the instructions. The reason I ask is because this dye has a different process from other dyes. For instance, you apply to your roots for the LAST 10 minutes, not first like with other dyes. So that may explain why some people ended up with over processed roots.

Here is my experience: I have naturally dark brown hair. But over the last few months I have highlighted it all over and lightened it to a brassy orange auburn color. I kept using different ash dyes and toners to help with the brassiness, but nothing seemed to work. I still had bright penny hair. I almost dyed my hair back brown, but I decided to try this first and see if it would help the brassiness since i've put my hair through so much lightening it already.

The results were not what I expected but I am very happy with the results. Since I started off with lighter hair than the darkest "before" example on the back of the box, I expected to have results close to the lightest results. But i didnt, my results were closer to the darkest example. But, all of the brassiness in my hair is gone. I am left with a beautiful golden brown color that I am LOVING. I think I will try this dye again in a month with the hopes of getting more lift. My roots didn't lighten much (I only left it in for 10 mins on the roots and I probably shouldve left it longer since I have coarser hair).

In conclusion, this is the only blond hair dye i have tried that didnt make my hair brassy. I think it's because it has a really strong toner in it.

I'd like to add that my hair feels great after this dye, it is really soft and SUPER shiny. I deep condition my hair and use aragon oil as well.

on 9/16/2011 9:45:00 PM

price: got it on sale for 10.

RESULT: orange at first (hated it) , then after a couple of washes it's eventually turned like the colour on the box. i like it now and ive received a large amount of compliments for it (:
Hair did get damaged tho, quite alot for me, actually. My hair was always super smooth, i never had to use conditioner or anything.. then after dying it, i can barely run my hands over it when im in the shower. the conditioner that came with the box REALLY helps tho.

instructions: 3 things i did not follow.
*do not use on previously coloured hair (mine was dyed black)
*dye roots last- you should, ive learned my lesson haha
*do not use shampoo in first wash- my roots were way lighter so i tried to get the remaining dye off of them with shampoo- ONLY at the roots. seemed to have worked..

let me just warn you, this stuff smells really bad. colouring gel is like a chemical bomb. i had air ventilation going, windows open, sister whipping the smell out the window. i had to bury my mouth and nose into a towel in order to breathe...
no exaggeration.

on 9/7/2011 7:14:00 PM

this product S U C K S. it seems i'm just another girl screwed over by this hair color. i wanted to contact l'oreal so bad to just let them know how angry i was! i started school two days ago, and i waited the day before school to dye my bleached blonde hair (no, l'oreal DOESN'T mention that you *shouldn't* use this with blonde hair!) a light brown. yeah, my mistake for waiting so long. i dyed my hair, left it for a while, washed it out. i came into my room and looked into the mirror - MY HAIR WAS PURPLE. lilac purple. i thought maybe the dye didn't wash out well. so, i waited and took a shower the morning of my first day and to my complete dismay, i looked in the mirror and my hair was GRAY. granny gray! everyone was staring me down and asking what i did to my hair. i felt so embarrassed all day! when i got home, my hair did some weird transformation and my hair was a gross, brassy dark gray. it didn't look ANYTHING like the "ash brown" the box showed. instead, i looked like a living dead girl. i will NEVER buy l'oreal again. maybe make-up, but certainly not any of their hair products. ladies, STAY AWAY from this box of evil. and thank you REVLON for saving me the next day!

I am not sure of the negative reviews on here. My natural haircolor is medium brown, light brown in the summer (with alot of sun). Over the years (many years) I have been coloring my hair blonde. Finally due to the economy, I finally decided to box color my hair light ash brown (my natural color) using Revlon Colorgloss, which I loved by was discontinued - story of my life. I switched to another brand but could never find ash, so just did light brown and it came out way to dark. Of course then I had to highlight it myself to lighten it up and it turned orange, what a shock! That is where I was when I bought this in UL61 - Ultra light ash brown. The box says that it takes out the red/orange tones, so I needed to give this a try. It is different than most dyes in that you have to do the length of your hair first and then your roots last but let me tell you it WORKS! This is the best most natural color I have ever had and all my nasty orange highlights turned a beautiful, cool soft shade of dark blonde. My hair looks great and looks like I put in highlights. I would totally recommend this to anyway that has a DURP of red/orange in their hair. This will counteract those colors and leave you with a great all over color. I noticed some people were saying that it as only for virgin hair, but my hair was colored to the max and I used it so I would reccomend it highly.

on 8/13/2011 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Used 2 boxes of Ultra Light Ash Brown last night to dye my plain black Asian hair. It's been over 5 years since I last dyed my hair so I was nervous. I followed the 2nd set of directions (the one where you dye your roots LAST) and it turned out great! I'm surprised how much it lightened my hair AND it didn't damage my hair as much as expected. In fact, my hair didn't feel much more frizzy/dryer than usual. It did bring out brassy tones and that is my I'm rating it a 4 instead of a 5. I did use the included conditioner. My hair is long so I used half the tube and put on a disposable shower cap. I left the conditioner on for at least 5 minutes while I showered so my hair really absorbed the conditioner. I plan on doing this conditioning routine every time I shampoo to combat dryness.
I used a little over 1.5 boxes of dye to completely saturate my long layered hair (it goes almost half way down my back). I spent less that $15 which is very cheap compared to what it would've cost me if I had gone to a salon. Overall I'm happy with it!
BTW- I added a picture up on the product photos so you can see how my hair turned out. I'm the one in the melon shirt looking down.

on 8/4/2011 11:37:00 AM

Awesome results with UL61! This dye is made to lighten dark brunette hair two to three levels and it worked amazingly on my very dark brown hair. The color, ultra light ash brown, is definitely not the same on your hair as on the box, but I was going for a reddish-golden toned (I guess a brassy) lighter medium brown color, and that's exactly what I got! I followed the box directions and applied to the ends and lengths first, avoiding the roots and leaving it on for about 35 minutes. Then I applied the dye to my roots and left it for another 10 minutes as my hair is stubborn and does well with more dyeing time. When I washed it out my hair looked a bit gingery but after conditioning it and letting it dry the results are exactly what I wanted: a lighter-medium brown with red and gold tones. My hair doesn't feel dry or damaged and looks beautiful and shiny. I'm very pleased with the results. If you're trying to get a cool light brown from this dye, I'd recommend using a blue or purple toner because bringing dark hair lighter always brings out the red tones in your hair. Or, you can wait and dye it a cooler brown later. So if you want box accurate color, you might be disappointed. But if you have dark brown hair you don't want to bleach to lighten but want to see definite results, this might be the dye for you!

on 4/15/2011 1:02:00 PM

Bought this haircolor (#61 version) thinking I could easily go from fairly dark brown to blonde-ish, to hide my high percentage of gray. I have to say that my overall results were pretty good. My skin color is fair, with an olive undertone, being 1/2 Latina and 1/2 German-English. Used two boxes, resulting in my dark brown having a gray/ash blonde cast over it - like a fine dusting of ash settled on it. Thought this wasn't enough, so bought two more boxes. Initially, the color was like the Bride of Chuckie, and I was fairly horrified but then after a few days the color toned itself down and now I'm really happy with the results. It's hiding most of my gray such that I no longer have a gray stripe down the middle of my head like a skunk (as was the case when my hair was dark brown and the gray was growing out - a mere 3 weeks after coloring), although it hasn't completely camoflauged my graying temples (it HAS helped a little there, though, and now the gray is not nearly as prominent). I am going to, yet again, by two more boxes (this will be 6 altogether) and go for it again, hoping the lift I'll get will do the ultimate trick. I think that this product is a little misleading because the box clearly shows a before color of nearly black, stacked against an after color of clearly very blonde, as what you can expect when using it. The actual results aren't even close. Nevertheless, in my case, lifting it in 3 sessions may get me to a place where I can tolerate the gray and, thereafter, I will hopefully only have to do root touch ups which will be very effective versus putting very dark dye on my gray roots only to have them re-appear 2-3 weeks later. I agree with the other reviewers that the roots - if the product is applied here first - will lighten faster and greater than the rest of the head (I saw this immediately upon rinsing), but in my case maybe my making that mistake was a good thing since I had the gray going on and putting it on the roots first helped in my situation. Even having said that, the lighter roots don't seem lighter anymore (one week later). I think I'm pretty happy with this because even though there has been/will be some front-loaded costs (6 boxes), as I said, I'm hoping I'll only have to use one box in the future to do touch ups and hiding the gray will be easier. My big issue was that I was going to the salon, asking for help to hide the gray and my hairdresser was not helping; she claimed she needed to deposit just a basic brown until the red in my hair faded/grew out -- at which point she could proceed with me down the Shakira-color road. This box dye did what an expensive hairstylist would/could not. My sister thinks I was being worked expense-wise for several sessions of coloring when she could have done my hair blonde-ish all along. I now agree since this product lightened me and -- albeit my hair was a Child's Play orange for a day or so, but isn't orange at all anymore -- I'm ready to go another 2 boxes. Oh, and my hair texture is curly, thickish and rather coarse but I use a straightener and the end result is a very Jane Fonda Barbarella-esqe hairdo which is working just terrific for me. Oh, and I would add that if your situation is close to mine, have someone put the color on for you; it would have been impossible to have saturated my hair (especially in back) like I suspect it needs to to get a result that is consistent overall. In my case, my sister was more than happy to do it for me since she was very sympathetic about my gray stripe and what, without help, were sure to progress into gray sideburns.

Popular Hair Products