October 24, 2014 | 1715 users online

Hair - L'Oreal - Preference True Brunettes

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2011 1:40:00 PM More reviews by thuysers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product toned down my brassy hair from previous highlights, however it turn my already blonde highlights a slight tint of ashy gray. Other than that, I have no red/orange tint to my hair and I do have thick dark asian hair, but I think since I've already had it highlighted, the color just lifted a lot easier. Would buy again for touchups!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2011 10:45:00 AM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

i just finished using the color les true brunettes in ul51, i was trying to be on the safe side since my hair is dark brown, almost black. i left the color for 35 minutes on the length and 20 on the roots since i have very resistant hair that won't color easily, i could have done 10 on the roots and 20 on 2-3cm of growth so next time. the color so far is half way dry and the roots looked brighter when i was done, now the color is evening out, we'll see how it looks in the morning since now is late and can't see the color too well. for right now it looks like chocolate milk bar and the texture remained the same.
update: three days later i washed my hair, it remained soft, didn't dry out, color is a tiny bit lighter. be careful with application because i can see where i missed to color (near temples) and you can see the color difference (two or three shades lighter).
my hair is super soft and shiny, roots don't have a different color anymore, there's a part on the crown that is lighter and that's because my head was really hot that day so it processed more, i need to cut down the time a little on that part, other than that color is even.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/27/2010 6:49:00 AM More reviews by madzo16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This was my first time dying my hair and it was pretty easy to do. I used the Ultra Lightening Ash Brown shade because I didn't want my hair to go orange but I did want it to be lightened a fair amount. My hair is dark, dark brown and I left the dye in for about 35 minutes but did not notice much of a change at all so I put more on after washing out and left for another 20 minutes. My hair is still in okay condition, noticeably less soft than it was before but not horrible and 'straw-like'. My hair colour is pretty much comparable to the darkest example shade on the back, however my results were not comparable at all (if that makes sense). Instead of the light brown colour shown I got a dark brown. Obviously it cannot lighten much being a dye kit for at home but I was a little bit disappointed. I would use this product again, but only to make my hair a brown that is a couple of shades lighter than my natural colour. I might try and make my hair a lighter brown using a different product, any suggestions? But at least this product didn't make my hair go orange! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2010 2:01:00 PM More reviews by theycallmerich

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have to give this product 5 lippies! I used True Brunette in Ultra Light Ash Brown...exactly the same as the product picture here. I don't know why there are so many negative reviews on this products. In fact, all the negative products online (not just from makeupalley) scared me at first. But good thing I decided to try it anyway. I have never dyed my hair EVER before. My hair is super fine and black, I am Oriental Asian. I followed all the directions in the box, I did my roots the very last. Waited for 25 minutes and voila! My hair turned out beautifully! I love the colour on my hair. It is not as light as the one that shows on the box, but my hair IS significantly lighter. My real hair colour is very black, so it really shows that I dyed my hair. I love my new hair colour! But that's me and everyone else around me saying so. I don't know if this is for everyone, but if your hair condition is like mine, then I think that you should give it a try. My hair does not look orange at all and I love it! =)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2010 9:57:00 AM More reviews by Twirlergirl

Despite all the negative reviews here i was very pleased with the product. My hair has natural red tones so I was concerned about the comments regarding hair turning Orange when using the lightest ash brown colour but went ahead anyway prepared for the worst. My hair is not Orange at all and while it has night lightened quite to the degree on the box it is at least 2 shares lighter and is not patchy at all. It has made a good base for lighter highlights and has a nice golden sheen which looks particularly nice when the sun/light hits.

I did not apply the dye as directed as various people have said, this is easier said than done. I applied it all as i would a normal hair dye but used sparingly on the roots & making sure the ends were saturated as this was where the biggest build up of dark hair dye was. Yes, I used it on dyed hair which apparently is a no no but I have had no problems. As I said not as light as the box suggested but light enough.

There were a lot of negative results regarding hair condition and again this is not something I have experienced. The conditioner in the box is meant to last you for a while however I used more than suggested so that my hair was completely saturated and it is so very soft. As a rule I deep condition my hair at least every other week anyway and would suggest others maybe consider doing so.

Overall I was very pleased and would use this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2010 3:11:00 PM More reviews by mwendt

After the poor results I got from using this product, I decided to do a Google search and found this site. I wish I had done that first! I have very fine fine hair with no grays and color it occasionally just to damage it a bit in order to get some body. I usually stay very close to my natual medium brown shade but decided to go lighter this time using the Lightest Ash Brown shade for a fun summery look. What a mistake! I followed the directions exactly and got a very unnatural light orangy shade at the roots and only slightly lighter orangy shade everywhere else. It looks terrible! I can't wait to color over it and hope to God it works without killing my hair. We're supposed to take an anniversary trip to Vegas in three weeks and I'm horrified to think I may be going with wierd orange hair! My husband says it looks good but after being married to him for nearly 18 years, I clearly know when he's just being nice. My teenage sons are much more blunt with "What did you do to your hair??!?" Think twice!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2010 12:35:00 PM More reviews by daureen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product works for me. I have very dark brown hair, and olive complexion. I get highlights all over, but I dye my roots so that my base color blends better with the highlights.

I followed the instructions, only leaving the mixture on the roots for 10 or 15 minutes. My hair has a ton of red in it, so it turns a nice light warm brown. It's the perfect base color for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2010 12:32:00 PM More reviews by foreveryourgirl

I am so sorry but i laughed when i read most of the bad reviews .... i have literally tried every hairdye out there...if you truly have dyed your hair before you'll know that a high lift brown or blonde shade shall NEVER be used on top of highlights as it will ruin them, i use this color on my hair and everytime it comes out better im a white girl with a very dark ashy brown hue to my natural hair ( almost like graphite lookin) .. anyhow this color made my hair a perfect lightest brown that looks awesome (kinda like that between brown and blonde color that jennifer aniston had for the longest time) it is strong so i wouldnt recommend it on frail black people hair, but dark haired white girls and light skinned latinas should be delighted by the results of this product, i don't know about asian hair as it is always so thick it just may not lighten it as much but im sure this will be the only product to not turn asian hair rusty lookin like they often turn out so just a no no for people that dye their hair real dark or with prelightened hair it says it CLEARLY on the box so u cant be mad at L'Oreal because you are not thorough enough to pay attention girl!!... LOVE this dye!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2010 10:58:00 PM More reviews by bobeena

I just used this product tonight. I have virgin black asian hair which is very fine. I was happy w/ the turn out. Very easy to apply and DO following the instructions. It turned my hair more to a brown reddish tone. I did buy it in Ash Brown at Walmart for $9. So first time was a charm! I would buy this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2009 11:16:00 PM More reviews by itsjmilletime

I am surprised by all the negative reviews. They made me very very weary to try this product, and now I'm so glad i did! My starting color was a medium brown with highlights on top. The highlights were very subtle and not chunky, but made the top of my hair a bit lighter than the bottom...which is a natural look. I wanted to lighten the whole thing up, so I purchased Loreal Preference Tres Brunettes in Light Ash Brown. It took me a while to actually apply it because the bad reviews about orange hair freaked me out.

Anyways, the resulting color was fantastic! I started out with gold undertones, NOT red, but gold. The ash of the hair dye counterbalanced my gold tones and left me with a very natural color. My top is still lighter than the bottom, but that makes sense since it started that way. The whole thing blends well. I only wish it would have went lighter. I will probably add blonde thin highlights and then I think it will be the perfect hair color. I would recommend this product!