August 20, 2014 | 1948 users online

Cleansers - Shiseido - Ultimate Cleansing Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2011 4:51:00 PM More reviews by edgexofxdesire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the first time I've used an oil cleanser, so I don't know how this compares to others. Just based on the performance over the last few weeks, I think this product is heavenly. I didn't have a lot of faith that this could remove all of my makeup (including waterproof shadow, eyeliner and mascara) but it's amazing what this cleansing oil is capable of. After the first use I knew I was never going back to my two-step eye makeup remover and wipes ever again. My face feels so clean and fresh after I use this. It hasn't broken me out, and I think it's even helped to prevent breakouts (because I haven't had even a sign of any in weeks)! It's not an acne control product by any means, but the fact that it removes absolutely every speck of makeup is what helps keep breakouts at bay. You'd be surprised how much better this is at removing makeup compared to any other technique. Two pumps (three if I'm all waterproof that day) massaged into my face, then over my eyes, rinsed with lukewarm water...I could probably get away with using ONLY this as a cleanser. But I follow up with my Philosophy Purity Made Simple (with my Olay ProX Brush) and my skin has never felt better. New HG evening skincare routine right here and it all starts with the Shiseido Cleansing Oil. I don't know how I lived without this before; I'm just glad I no longer have to.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 4:02:00 AM More reviews by furafura

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was my first experience with an oil cleanser. I used this every day to remove makeup and sunscreen. I didn't realize what a bad job I was doing of removing makeup/sunscreen until after I started using this. Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing oil takes EVERYTHING off, including waterproof mascara and liquid eyeliner. A couple times a week I would massage this in for a bit longer, maybe 6-7 minutes, and I saw a pleasant change in the appearance of my pores. They were less dark! I think in conjunction with the salicylic acid I've been using, the cleansing oil really helped in the appearance of my pores. After massaging this oil to dissolve my makeup, I wet my hands, massage again for a couple seconds, then rinse completely. I follow up with another basic cleanser to get rid of any oil residue.

The bottle itself is okay. I always like a pump bottle with an option to close or open, but this one leaked a bit in my travel pouch. It wasn't a complete spill, though. I got this in a set offer, so I didn't pay full price. I was going to buy it again, but wanted to try another cleansing oil that was $12, about half the price of Shiseido's cleansing oil. But I would definitely buy this again if a cheaper brand doesn't work out.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2011 4:56:00 PM More reviews by myohmy

I would probably just go for a cheaper oil elsewhere but this does a pretty good job at removing makeup. I only use it for eyes since this is kinda expensive and I only have a sample size bottle from sunscreen kit.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2011 4:24:00 AM More reviews by Laski

Very good cleansing-product - gets rid of sunscreen, makeup, almost all of my mascara...everything! And while doing this, it doesnt dry out or irritate in any way. It lasted quite a long time, even though I used it a few times for the complete body to get rid of stubborn waterproof sunscreen. In my opinion it is very comparable to the MAC Cleansing Oil. Great product. I only deducted one lippie because sometimes, depending on which mascara Im wearing, Im left with a _slight_ black residue just below my lower lashline. No big problem, though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2011 3:37:00 PM More reviews by MARmaladeJay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for a month now. I received this as a gift with purchase when I purchased products from Shiseido's suncare line. I was told this is a good product to remove sunblock and makeup. The sample I received was a 2.5 oz opposed to the full size, which is 5 fl oz. At first, I did not think this was necessary so the first time I used their sunblock and did not wash my face at the end of the day with the cleaning oil and I immediately broke out a few days later. It took five days for my skin to clear, so I then started using this to remove both the sunscreen and makeup. My skin did not breakout so I now use this as part of my skin regiment.

HOW TO USE:
Make sure you wash your hand prior to touching your face even if you are washing it. In addition, make sure you dry your hand completely as this product should be used on a dry face and applied with dry hands. I rub this all over my face, my eyes being the last since I wear the most products on my eyes and I don't want to spread eye product on the rest of my face. It works well with my skin. It does not break me out and it removes my entire face of makeup including waterproof mascara.

OVERALL:
After I rinse it off, it doesn't make my skin feel tight or oily. My skin feels clean and I don't wake up with raccoon eyes either. I no longer use an additional eye make up remover as this serves to remove all my make up. I have used Shu Uemura's High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil Fresh, which broke me out badly, but Shiseido's did not. It actually improved my skin as I have adult acne when I never had a problem when I was younger. After using this, I noticed my skin is less oily throughout the day. I then follow with my normal daily skin regiment. Even the deluxe sample size is lasting me a long time. I still have more than half the bottle. After I use the sample, I will invest on the full size.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2011 9:21:00 PM More reviews by maomaouchi

After using DHC Deep Cleansing Oil and realizing that oil cleansers are the only way to go to completely remove makeup, I decided to try Shiseido's version since it is easier to get for me than DHC cleanser. Here are my thoughts:

USE:

I use two pumps of this on a dry face, rinse, then follow up with a tiny bit of Philosophy Purity Made Simple. I also did this exactly with the DHC Deep Cleansing Oil.

CLEANSING:
For reference, I wear:

Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil
Becca Pressed Mineral Foundation
Blush (varied, usually NARS or R&R)
Milani Liquif'eye Pencil in Black for the upper/lower waterlines
Eye shadow (various)
Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus mascara (notoriously difficult to remove)
Shu Uemura Hard Liner for brows
Lipstick

I find that Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil does an okay job of removing my makeup--I'd say 90% of my makeup is removed after rubbing 2 pumps' worth of product on my face for about 15 secs. When I get impatient and start rinsing it off, I usually still see a bit of my eyeliner left. I find that the DHC DCO does a better job at cleansing, since after the same amount of rubbing and less product I tend to not see any eyeliner left. Everything else I listed is completely gone, without question. However, in this respect I feel DHC is superior. It rinses away completely, leaving no residue.

SKIN:

This is where I think Shiseido shines. I get even less breakouts with this than using DHC cleansing oil. My blackheads on my nose appear smaller, and regular use of this product has made manual extraction of blackheads and/or pore strips almost unnecessary despite the fact that I have been using a heavier night cream. Pores on my nose and cheeks appear smaller. I only use this product at night, but have noticed that during the day my face is never too greasy or shiny. I've found that it is necessary to moisturize after using this product, as my skin feels a bit tight if I forget. However, using this cleanser nightly following up with moisturizer has really balanced out my skin--it is now neither too oily or too dry.

SMELL, VALUE and PACKAGING:

Smells very floral--I'd prefer no smell, like DHC.
More expensive than DHC by about 20%. I also find I have to use a bit more.
Cute blue/white packaging with a pump, although it's annoying you can't see how much remains.

Overall, I give this product 4 lippies. 4 lippies instead of 5 for the price (more expensive than DHC) and the fact that it doesn't completely remove all my makeup. DHC oil cleanses better, but Shiseido gets almost as close and my skin is more balanced and less acne-prone. I find that following up with Philosophy PMS gets the rest of my makeup anyway, so I'm not too concerned with it not removing my makeup 100%.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2011 1:38:00 AM More reviews by definesinister

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this for the Stick Ftd, Sun powder, and sunscreen that I use from ShiShi. It is a very light weight oil, smells like the sunscreen (very chemical like). It does remove quite well, though I am not very fond of oil cleansers but so far its the only thing that I trust that will remove every trace of sunscreen or makeup. When I splash water, I am not sure if its the sunscreen or the oil itself that is making the oil turn white (as S/S sunscreen has the signature white milky consistency). But from what I understand, all cleansing oils do that as water is suppose to emulsify the product thereby removing dirt and oil from the surface. The only complaint I have of this product is the pump itself, sometimes if you lock the cap and unlock the cap, and try to pump out oil, it squirts everywhere! Not nice to look at oil on your wall. So one point off for packaging. As far as price, it is department store price. I will repurchase as long as I look ShiShi sunscreen and ftd. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2011 1:30:00 AM More reviews by tootswoots

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

this is excellent at getting heavy makeup off, i use it when i have a night out. It feels very nice on the skin and rinses well. I don't actually use it unless I have heavy MU or shiseido sunscreen on.. Smells very nice as well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2010 9:46:00 AM More reviews by ns4487

I quite like this oil. It feels like it removes my makeup residue and it does leave my face feeling soft. no breakouts as of yet (fingers crossed). however, in terms of a pre-cleansing product, i prefer Dermalogica's PreCleanse. DPC turns to a milky emulsion the more you rub it in...it really feels like it is cleaning every bit of your skin. only bad thing about it is the price (AUD$60). so on that point, SUCO really takes the cake. My only issue is that I like to use products that I feel i cant live without...that is what makes me repurchase. this one, i think I could do without. But a good one for people who enjoy cleansing oils

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2010 4:08:00 AM More reviews by Ifiyenia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My skin type:
Oily (more oily in summer), sensitive at times, large pores and prone to spot and blackheads, some old acne marks, yellow-golden undertones.

A little history:
When I went to buy the Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation, the saleswoman told me I needed to buy the Ultimate Cleansing Oil as well to remove the sunscreen.

I have to admit that at first i thought "yeah, right, you just want to sell one more product!"
Plus, I was really skeptical about using a cleansing oil on my already too oily skin, and immediately thought about breakouts,clogged pores and more blackheads.
Moreover, I thought it was a waste of money buying a cleansing oil for just removing the sunscreen foundation, and believed my normal cleanser would do the trick, so I didn't buy it.

What happened next:
All my assumptions were wrong.

My normal cleanser (Calming Cleansing Solution, Vichy), did not do a damn thing on removing the sunscreen. I had to use it again and again but I was not completely satisfied.
Next day I wend back to the store and bought the Ultimate cleansing Oil.
I wish I had done it sooner!

Outcome:
At first, the idea of using oil to your skin to clean it (especially an oily skin), may seem odd, but that won't last long.
This product is amazing, and I absolutely love it.
Not only it removed every trace of the sunscreen and make up I had on, but it was not heavy on my skin, and never felt my face so clean and soft to the touch without feeling itchy or irritated and with no over-dry feeling.

Description and use of the product:
The oil is clear and lightly fragrant. The pump makes it easy to use. Removes all traces of makeup and sunscreen.

I pump a little oil to my palms, and apply it directly to my face. I go on massaging my face using circular movements for about 30 seconds and then use some lukewarm to warm water and massage my face some more. At this point the product emulsifies and becomes white.
Then I rinse with warm water and the oil slides off my face with no effort, leaving nothing but soft, clean, smooth skin.

No trace of oil left, no clogged pores, no break outs.

Use a very small amount. The less the better.

I will definitely buy it again.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No