November 28, 2014 | 1592 users online

Treatments (Face) - Clean & Clear - Advantage Acne Spot Treatment

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2013 12:05:00 PM More reviews by mikee888

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

If you have sensitive skin, this is not the product for you! It stings so badly, and I almost think this contributes to more breakouts! Every time I use this on a spot, a new one pops up! I have no idea why this is the case, and maybe my skin is just weird, but I will not be repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2013 3:59:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

I pride myself on having resilient skin as far as slathering products on it; I almost never get a reaction to products. Generally, the only times when my skin problems flare up are when I am mentally, emotionally, or physically stressed. Often times, the issue is acne, mostly around my mouth and jawline. My skin type is combination-oily, not sensitive, so my morning and evening routines involve light creams and toners with a touch of either turmeric powder, tea tree oil, or sea salt (from light treatment to heavier duty, in this respective order, depending on the severity of the acne). The routine has worked really well since I tried it over a year ago as an on-going treatment for stress acne, but it generally takes at least a week to treat and clear existing acne.

I gave Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment a whirl hoping that it I could use it for very short-notice emergencies. Its active ingredient is salycylic acid, the "natural" acne medication to the chemical-based benzoyl peroxide, so I thought I ran no risks trying this since I've used products with salycylic acid in the past with great results. I heard that benzoyl peroxide could be more effective but dry out skin faster, which I did not want because it causes crazier sebum production and can worsen acne flare-ups. And the product was cheap and came with a generous volume.

I gave the product a try for a week on newly formed acne, used sparingly as directed, and while it did dry out the small amount of skin where applied (even after applying moisturizer), it did not shrink or reduce the appearance of acne. Instead, it made the acne redder, sometimes larger, and if in the case it did not dry out the pimple, it turned it into a white head! By the end of the week I knew that substituting my usual natural acne treatments with this was not a good idea despite the seemingly great value I thought it would be. I returned to my old routine and my skin recovered relatively quickly!

About 2 months later, the stress acne returned again only a few days before Thanksgiving and a corporate event, and I gave Clean & Clear another try hoping it would make miracles happen. Same disappointing results. The three acne spots I had literally worsened overnight: one dried into a thin, dark scab, another became larger and more cystic, and the last one turned into a white head. What. the. #*(&$!(*#

I went back to tea tree oil and turmeric soap this evening, and the results look and feel so much better, even if it will take some time to recover. Clean & Clear products in my experience seem to always worsen my skin condition, and this is the worst of them.

I must note though, that I gave up and handed my tube to my little sister so she could gamble it on her very dry, very acneic teenager skin. I thought it would give even worse results to her too, but ironically it has cleared her acne in 1-2 nights without any problems! Great find for her, considering it's no more than $5 for almost 1oz of what turned out to be her miracle product. As for me, it's become kryptonite. Still hunting for an effective, fast-acting acne spot treatment.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2013 5:57:00 PM More reviews by Emmalovescats

I never had a problem with pimples until I was an adult- ironic, right? I currently have a terrible breakout in between my eyebrows and on my forehead. It had been driving me nuts for weeks so of course I eventually just had to pop them and make things 10 times worse for myself. I vaguely remembered using this product a few years ago on the random few spots I got and being pleased with results. In my desperation I ran out and purchased Clean & Clear Advantage Spot Treatment. I actually went to 2 stores because apparently the Rite-Aids around here don't carry it but CVS does? Anyway, I have used it for two days now and either my eyes are fooling me or it works. There were a few spots that immediately came to a head (again!) prior to using this product and now they appear to be flat. It also seems to have helped the redness a bit around the other popped pimples. It isn't perfect but I will take any improvement. I have high hopes for this product. I am hoping with regular use it will prevent breakouts from happening at all.
Oh, I took a lippy away because it is absurdly expensive for the amount you get. I feel like for that price my face shouldn't be red at all! At least it worked better than C&C's other spot treatment...Persa-gel? I think? It was made with benzoyl peroxide which doesn't seem to work as well as the salicylic acid in this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2013 12:37:00 PM More reviews by vegovy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This has been a staple in my skin care for years. Personally salicylic acid is the most effective for my skin and I find that this product really reduces any spots I may get. The only downside is that it is drying (but that's to be expected) so I only apply it at night. I apply this on spots as well as any areas where I feel it is clogged as I find that it helps to clear them. There is an obvious scent but I have come to rather like it. Between this and the Neutrogena Rapid Spot treatment, I must say: Clean&Clear is much better hands down.

From my personal experience this spot treatment is only effective on whiteheads, it is useless for those under the skin cystic pimples (I use tea tree oil on these bad boys).

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2013 6:04:00 PM More reviews by ponc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This gel doesn't get rid of acne or reduce redness. It actually makes inflammation worse, maybe that is just how my skin reacts to salicylic acid. It is also causes peeling. Although it won't make pimples go away, it will make the "head" (the nasty white stuff that is inside the red bump that makes acne so painful) come up. It makes popping the zit (I know you are not suppose to do that, but who can resist?) much easier.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by rosalee87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Before I went out and purchased Mario Badescu's Drying Lotion this is a product that I relied on. After washing my face at night I would apply this product on any noticeable zits and left it on overnight. Seconds after applying this treatment I felt stinging on the zit and I felt satisfied because my mentality is, "If it's stings, it's working." I've learned through the use of other products that, that's not necessarily true. The next morning I would wake up to flakes from the treatment gel and my zit reduced in size. This product does work to a certain extent; it doesn't overdry and it doesn't completely vanish the zit - it only reduced the size but the redness still remained. After using it for 2-3 nights it would eleminate the zit. I didn't give this product a 4 since I believe everything heals with time and this wasn't no miracle product - it did take 2-3 or even 4 nights to clear the zit which would probably be about the same time if I just used rubbing alcohol or nothing at all.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by KatWKSF

I agree with another reviewer on here, that this product continues to be around due to the marketing juggernaut behind it. The stuff is worthless if you have truly problematic skin. If you have occassional problems, minor adult acne, small patches of white or blackheads, or texture issues, this will probably be adequate. If you have cystic acne, large quantities of blackheads, or large/painful whiteheads, get something stronger (I really recommend Acnomel).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 10:07:00 PM More reviews by LegitElizabeth

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Like many people, I was a pimple-faced teenager once upon a time. I eventually got it under control, but I still get the occasional zit every now and then (oh well).
After I stopped using my Clean & Clear Advantage Acne cleanser, I still wanted something to treat the occasional zit- just notin the form of a cleanser. That's when I stumbled across the Acne Spot Treatment. I decided to buy it.
Combined with cleanser (any cleanser), this product helps a lot! It doesn't work overnight (but what product actually does that?), but after a couple of uses, it definitely worked. Any redness from a pimple goes away, and when I use this on a whitehead, it goes away soon.
I still use this now, and I won't stop using it anytime soon! This product definitely does the trick for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2013 12:30:00 PM More reviews by chaumein

I've never had major pimple problems (knock on wood), but when the occasional spot flared up, a dot of the product on the pimple usually wore it down the next day.

I have experienced the red skin that other users have found with this product - only when I've put too much. Also it doesn't work on deep acne. Its' effectiveness is limited to pimples that have come to head.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2013 3:19:00 AM More reviews by Megan6205

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It works so well for me! I have been using it over time and it really does help!! The only reason some people say it burns is because they are putting it on an open breakout or something. Just don't put it on open cuts and it doesn't hurt at all