September 23, 2014 | 963 users online

Masks - Avene - Instant Soothing Mask

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 2:29:00 PM More reviews by carinnemj

I bought this mask in a pinch while on vacation and suffering serious flakies on my chin from all the air travel and climate adjustment. Instantly fell in love. It's a thick creamy mask that absorbs into my skin -- I barely had any to tissue off. It's actually more like a deep moisture treatment for the face than a traditional mask you remove. Would totally buy again.

$22 for a 1.69 ounce tube at Drugstore.com (and slightly less abroad, it seems).

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2009 1:20:00 PM More reviews by genie_11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Didn t do much for my skin. After using it, the skin felt a bit smoother, but nothing good happened about the redness. It feels quite oily, heavy and I don t think you can remove it entirely just with Avene water.and, no way u can leave it over the night, it s just too heavy for that! anyways, I think that this mask is really a thick, rich moisturizer , and not really a mask.In my opinion, it doesn t measure up to the price!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2009 11:50:00 AM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Simply LOVE this mask...better than any other moisturizing mask.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2009 9:11:00 AM More reviews by lucyem

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I received this product for free so have no idea of the cost. It is not something I would buy normally, even if I could find it to buy since we live so rurally. It has a very light scent. Hard to describe. It did not bother me. It is a milky texture on the thick side. I have used it in the evenings to help my dry skin. Put it on, 10 minutes later wipe off excess. In the morning my face feels very soft. It is summer now and the softness is almost a little oily. I am going to save this for winter when my poor skin gets so dry. Then I think it will be well appreciated.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/20/2009 11:03:00 AM More reviews by angeladrylie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

This is a milky moisterising mask. It has a light scent. I use it every 3 days or so at night. I apply it after my moisturiser and let it sit for 15 mins or so and then tissue off the excess. I then spray my face with Avene thermal water - it helps get rid of the stickness and go to bed. I don't wash it off with a cleanser the next day, just splash a little water on when I am in the shower. This is really soothing and cooling. It has helped my skin alot when it has been really red, angry and burnt by a bad reaction to other stuff. It also is quite hydrating and is helping with some of my dryness problems - crepeyness and flakiness etc. It leaves my skin feeling soft, smooth and calm. My skin loves this stuff. Even though I am prone to breakouts it does not seem to have made it worse. In fact it seems to calm any spots down, as well as help heal the ones that I have been naughty and picked at. This is definetly not suitable to wear under makeup unless you rinsed it off. It does leave a residue, but that is why I use it at night. Doesn't really help with fine lines but hey, how much can one product do?

Edit 01-Aug-09: So I had to stop using this.... it seemed to calm my skin down at first but as I used it for longer it ended up aggravating my sensitive skin so I was back to day 1. I think it was the light fragrance. Grrr. The search continues. I think this would be a good product though for less sensitive skin. Downgraded from 5 lippies to 2.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2009 2:08:00 AM More reviews by littletwinklestar

Lovely scent and easy to use mask. I normally put it overnight when i have super sensitive itchy face. it feels better the next day :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2009 3:58:00 PM More reviews by ballmam2000

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A very nice smoothing mask, my winter skin has been drying out and using this 1 - 2 times a week has been helping, slather it on, leave it for 10 - 15 minutes, then rinse off with water, my face feels so soft afterwards, I like Avene's products, a little pricey but sometimes you can find it for 20% off, will repurchase

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2009 9:39:00 AM More reviews by jenniegirl

I have sensitive(red, dehydrated, itchy skin) and acne prone skin as well. This mask works wonders!
it has the best effect when used after exfoliating. makes the face really smooth and soothed.
when i first used it, i used it everyday for a week, then cut down to like once or twice a week. effects are really good. and oh, i love the thermal water as well. im using it as my toner. ;)
i am halfway through using my first tube, and i have went out to purchase a 2nd tube alrdy! definitely a good choice. will repurchase, although its expensive! too small a bottle!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/6/2009 3:06:00 AM More reviews by SkekTek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product is quite good, but not suited to my particular skin type. I think it's a good idea to be careful if you have thin, fair skin that is sensitive to rich treatments. In saying that, I react to this product less than other rich creams and masks. It makes a fantastic rescue moisturiser and doubles up really well as an eye cream at night time. I probably wouldn't buy again because it doesn't work so well as a moisture mask for my skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by ClariceD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My skin is downright picky - slightly dry, frustratingly sensitive, with localised acne on the chin/jawline (a side effect of long-term medication). I have a collection of samples of this mask, given to me by a kind Boots sales assistant who probably gets sick of me hanging around in her aisles reading ingredients lists. I've been reaching for them this winter to relieve parched, irritable skin. Avene claims that this mask will soften, rehydrate and thus strengthen sensitive skin that is reacting to environmental assault. I'll happily agree that the product delivers to the extent that it leaves my skin much less tight and itchy, and eases any existing signs of irritation (red bumps etc). I live on the east coast of Scotland, where the climate is fairly harsh, so in the depths of winter these are no mean feats. However, the promised radiance looks to me more like a stubborn layer of grease, so using this mask and appearing elegant or alluring in public are mutually exclusive activities. If you have dry skin, the combination of mineral, safflower and fractionated coconut oils may be just right. I was hoping for lots of soothing and some moisture from this mask; instead I get lots of moisture and minor temporary relief from sensitivity. That's probably my fault for basing my expectations on the packaging blurb rather than the actual formulation. Its ingredients could be those of any rich, gentle, but not particularly sophisticated moisturiser for sensitive skin. The results are no more impressive (or enduring) than an appropriate moisturiser consistently applied, or a thick layer of emollient cream left on for 15-30 minutes and rinsed thoroughly.

Ingredients: Avene thermal spring water, mineral oil, stearic acid, caprylic/capric triglyceride, safflower seed oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil PEG-6 esters, triethanolamine, glyceryl stearate, microcrystalline wax, PEG-100 stearate, propylene glycol, caprylic/capric triglycerides, carbomer, disodium EDTA, fragrance*, phenyltrimethicone.

*My skin is notoriously anti-fragrance and displayed no reaction to this.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No