October 25, 2014 | 1744 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2013 8:35:00 AM More reviews by 0135007

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Age...55 and over.....Fair skin....Hazel Eyes
    I had been looking for a better foundation for quite awhile. I wanted coverage, but did not want it to look like I was wearing a ton of makeup. I have been using a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen for the last year, as a foundation. I do like it, but wanted a little more coverage. Plus, I have found the tinted moisturizer does rub off onto clothing rather easily. Ugh! I have tried the mineral foundations, and didn't really care for any of them.
    Soooo.... I forget how I came across this foundation, but read the reviews here on makeup alley. I bought it this Monday, and LOVE IT!!!! Does not look like I have hardly any foundation on....it looks AWESOME and GREAT coverage!!!!
    I use a vitamin C serum and another sunscreen under it. I abused my face in the sun when I was a teenager, and now cancerous cells keep surfacing. PLEASE if you love the sun, like I did, use somekind of sunscreen!!!!
    Anyway.....LOVE LOVE LOVE this foundation and will be using this from now on........

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by lcosta42

I have combination skin, but live in a tropical country, therefore my skin tend to get super oily in summer. I've used this foundation on very hot days and very cold days as well, and I can say that it works beautifully on both. The only thing is that if you have dry skin or live somewhere cold you just need to apply a moisturizer underneath it and then you're good to go. The staying power is the best thing about this product... for me it seems that it only gets more "natural" on the skin throughout the day. The high SPF and the fact that it's waterproof do make spending some extra bucks on this worth! Overall, this is my everyday foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Di57

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just beautiful. Other reviewers have pretty much said it all. Very liquid and easy to apply with fingers. Finger application gives a slighter fuller coverage than applying with a brush, but I will sometimes buff it over with MAC 168. Incidentally, I was put onto the MAC 168 by a MAC SA when I tried MAC Studio Sculpt. She said that whilst that brush is normally used for powder, she found it to be the best brush for applying Studio Sculpt (gel based foundation). So I thought I'd give it a go with the Shiseido, but using it as a buffer. Works like a charm.

Anyway, the Sun Protection foundation is gorgeous. I find that its finish will vary depending on the length of time you leave your moisturiser to settle before applying the foundation. I prefer a dewier look, so apply the foundation quite soon after moisturising (Arden Ceramide Day). Coverage is buildable but as I said, finger application does it in one fell swoop. But you certainly don't need much of it. I've just ordered a Beauty Pod and will be interested to see how that performs too.

I put this foundation on in the morning, no touch-ups required through the day, and it looks just as good when I get home from work. I use extra-virgin organic coconut oil to remove it (can't beat EVCO for removing foundation, eyeshadow, mascara - the whole lot) with a tissue, then wipe over with a damp cloth, then wash with cleanser or just swipe off the residue with toner. No breakouts yet, and I've been using it for around 6 weeks.

I'm NW25 in MAC, and find that the SP60 is the best match for my skin tone.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2013 6:28:00 PM More reviews by Froozygirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a new makeup after a two week holiday on a Greek island, where my lancaster suncare got me really bronzed... My beloved D&G matte makeup was a bit on the pale side (though you could hardly tell: That thing really works no matter what, and frankly, I think I just needed an excuse to get a new makeup :-P
    Anyway, I bought this in SP70 and it matches my skin colour perfectly - I could not believe it! I was very impressed also about the fact that it does not look cakey at all - really very impressed with that.
    Now the verdict: I first applied it with my fingers, and I immediately noticed that I got the shine from the sunscreen - not good...I was a bit disappointed from this (and it didn't seem to last either) but I thought perhaps I should try using the sponge. God, what a difference! No shine at all, all you get is matte finish with the sponge! You couldn't tell I was wearing any make-up at all, I was really very pleased.
    I am not too convinced about its staying power though. I think it doesn't work so much with Clinique's DDMG (I use the anti-blemish 3 Step) but when I use the anti-blemish moisturiser, it seems to last all day, which is good. I use a bit of powder on top - at first Jurlique's loose lavender powder which I noticed gives me an awful white cast and probably breaks me out too, and the last few weeks I am using Chanel's loose powder in no. 40 and it's a real dream...It looks really fantastic with this foundation!)
    THE BOTTOM LINE: It lasts with the anti-blemish moisturiser on me, and I might need to use a bit of a primer (Clinique's pore refining instant perfector seems to do the trick) It doesn't seem to accentuate my pores more than what they are, but the most amazing thing is that it does not give me blackheads AT ALL. In fact, I think it actually clears my skin... I have to say I am impressed, perhaps not as much as I wanted in terms of staying power, but this is a really very good product, and I think I will be using it for quite a while (in fact I am using a bit of lancaster gradual self tan to be able to use this little thing a bit longer!)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by plumful

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Sorry for the long review.

Okay. So I just bought this foundation and the lady who colour matched me at the store said I wouldn't want to go any lighter than the shade she had put on me. She applied it with a very light hand, and when I looked in the mirror, it seemed to blend pretty well, and when I went outside to look, the colour looked fine.

I was pretty desperate for a new foundation because right now I hate everything that I own (colorstay, double wear, sheer glow, clarins ever matte, studio sculpt). So I bought it on a bit of a whim. I live in New Zealand, so everything here is outrageously expensive. This was $70, though Shiseido was 10% off at the department store I was in. Even so, it was still expensive for a foundation. I have pretty bad acne scarring, so I'm willing to shell out extra money if it's going to help boost my confidence even a little bit.

Basically I really wanted to try this, so I rushed home to put it on. When I got home, I noticed the shade I'd been given was SP50. If you're familiar with this foundation, you'll know the shade selection is a little bit sparse, one of it's downfalls. SP50 is the 5th darkest shade, I would say it's better suited for medium skin tones. However I'm a pale red head, and for reference my shades are nw/nc15 in mac, buff in revlon colorstay, mont blanc in nars, and warm ivory in bobbi brown. I am far from a medium skin tone.

Regardless, I thought bugger it, the store has a no returns policy on any makeup items, so I figured I'd try it anyway.

This foundation is lovely. It's light. It glides right over my pores and any of my dry patches, and despite my oily t zone, it hasn't slid off my face in the last few hours. It's transfer resistant, which is a huge deal for me because I hate touching my face and finding my fingers covered in foundation. It dries to a nice semi-matte finish and I would say it's a medium coverage. I have terrible acne scarring which is impossible to cover up, but this reduces it's appearance immensely.

This is exactly the type of foundation I was looking for. One that looks like I'm not wearing any. Except there's one fatal flaw which makes it obvious that I am, and that's because my face looks totally orange.

This foundation is way too dark for me, and I think that is no ones fault but my own (and maybe the crazy lady who colour matched me). Even when I blended this down the neck, it was excruciatingly obvious that I was wearing foundation at least 2 shades too dark for me.

Alas, I cannot exchange this. Although I will be repurchasing this soon in a better colour, and probably from Nordstrom where it's almost half the price.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by littlekotties

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is, for me, a miracle in a bottle. So light but at the same time has incredible coverage. I was hesitant at first, as it was shiseido I thought even the lightest shade would be too dark or yellow but no it was perfect for my unbelievably pale Irish skin! Very liquidy but at the same time medium-full coverage. It is very buildable and creates a perfect satiny finish, I hate matte!! Nearly all makeup that give off a dewy look I found wear easily and don't hold but this is the first makeup besides ELDW that actually maintains beautifully on my skin. It doesn't go patchy and uneven like other foundations. The spf is an added bonus. It is also one of the few foundations to not break me out. Perfect. Its the only foundation that people constantly compliment me on, even my chinese bf who believes all makeup is toxic actually caved in and said I looked gorgeous with it on. The only con is the price for my poor student wage but you get what you paid for. HG for sure.

EDIT: This makeup can REALLY change depending on your skin underneath. I have found since buying another bottle that this new one doesn't sit so perfectly and goes patchy quite quickly. I also notice that why it looks flawless in artificial light, in natural light it can look awful and I wonder if it is how my workmates and friends see me. Its not the worst foundation by any means its just tricky to work with as its finish is so easily affect by so many factors. I took two lippies off.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2013 8:33:00 AM More reviews by zvirbalas

B50 (similar to chanel vitalumiere aqua B10)

Pros:
    -very good coverage without mask effect.
    -somehow this foundation is matte but doesnt emphasize any dry patches as others do.

Cons:
    none

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2013 5:16:00 AM More reviews by Stimorol

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've tried soooo many foundations, smashbox,estee lauder, loreal, glomineral,dermablend....and so on...but now I've found a AMAZING foundation!! The look of it, blue plastic tube hides a secret:-) second look, very watery, but My gosh..it's very covering. I apply with My fingers first, then use a foundation brush to buff it in. Then i wait a minute and then i apply a little more were it's needed. Looove it. The price were 335 swedish kr (45$) at a local store. ParfymeriL in Uppsala.
    I found a perfect match too. Sp50. It blends so nice that i cant even see a different from My neck:-)) it's a little bit pink in the undertone i think. Lasted all day, looked the same at night after having it on for about 15 hour! Nice smell. I also tried id bare minerals mineral veil ready tinted to have on top..super!! Got a little tan that way:-) love it. I've found My favorite!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2013 10:05:00 AM More reviews by aqelvis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am SO happy I found this product on MA, and decided to give it a try.....It is truly phenomenal, and may be my HG! It stays on all day, works well with other products, doesn't even need a setting powder (at least for me), and while the finish is matte-ish, it is definitely not flat looking-it looks like skin. You must shake well, and when you first put it on your fingers, and you feel the watery consistency for the first time, you think, there is no way this is going to cover anything....let me tell you, it covers a lot, but does not look like a mask! And here is the huge plus for those of us with fine lines.....does not settle into them whatsoever, and works great over moisturizers...no primer even needed! I do recommend using an oil or cream cleanser to remove at night since it does have a sunscreen base, it is waterproof. Usually long wear, or makeup with sunscreens give me whiteheads, and this has not.....I could go on forever....the only negatives I have to report is the price, and I do wish it came in more colors....it also runs way light....Stop by Dillards, and they will give you a sample to try....if the Makeup counter person doesn't know anything about the product, make sure they shake it well before they give you a sample....or take the plunge, get a color match, buy it, and love it! :)
    BTW: Been using it since end of May, and purchased it specifically for vacation and summer...awesome test through horseback riding, swimming, hiking, and whatever we were doing....Ok I'll shut up now.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Chloeclover

This is a first impression review. I received a sample of the SP30 and it is a close match. I am around NC20-25 in MAC Studio Fluid Fix and NC20 in MAC Pro long wear. My skintone is very yellow so it is hard to get an exact match. The product comes in a cute shiseido squeeze bottle and the product has to be shaken up to mix the product together. The consistency of the foundation itself is really liquidy and i just put a small dot on each cheek, nose, chin, and forehead and blend it out with a buffing brush from Real Techniques. I have really oily acne prone skin and OMG this foundation is MATTE on application! Completely matte but not flat, I usually get oily within an hour but not with this foundation!! It is true that oils do peep through tho only making the finish like a satin natural finish after a few hours. The best part of the foundation is that it is very lightweight and it is not sticky whatsoever. It feels and looks great on the skin as though you're not wearing any foundation. I have tried to take some photos in a dark room and unfortunately there is a slight white cast, but not too noticeable. So you could try to work around it with a colored powder. Unfortunately, the color range is very small. The cons of this foundation is the amount, the price, slight white cast in flash photos, and the color range. Other than that I highly recommend to those with super oily skin!!!!! MUST HAVE FOR SUMMER :D I also love that it is water resistant because you never know! :D PS I have tested the water resistant claim by rinsing my eyes with water.... It definitely held up!!

EDIT:

The ultimate test came yesterday when I went for a 4+ hour hike (10:30AM-2:30PM) and I had put this foundation on around 8AM and didn't come home until 7pm. I had been hiking with a bunch of friends in basically 90 degree CA weather and sweating profusely. Once I got home I did notice that there was some wear on the foundation around the areas of my nose and my mustache area. But other than that the foundation looked great and stayed in place!! Others have said that it could look cakey but I think it does depend on application because it looks soooo natural on my face! I wish this foundation came out without SPF so that I could wear this at night too :(((( It has been only a few days, so I will edit this if I find anything else different after a week or so!

PROS:
    Satin/matte finish (natural looking)
    Holds up oils for up to 6 hours without powder
    Super sweat and water resistant (went hiking in 90 degree weather, still looked great)
    High SPF (42 PA+++)
    Natural looking if blended out correctly (didn't have a problem with it cakey up)
    Liquidy consistency

Cons:
    Small amount of product for the price ($35 for 1oz)
    High SPF (42 PA+++) which can cause a slight white cast in photographs (maybe not in DSLRs but normal point and shoot cameras. I also added some flash test photos on this foundation)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No