Olay Active Hydrating Cream - Original

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

water, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, petrolatum, cyclopentasiloxane, stearyl alcohol, isopropyl palmitate, dimethicone, carbomer, PEG-100 stearate, stearic acid, sodium hydroxide, DMDM hydantoin, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, EDTA, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, fragrance, titanium dioxide, red 4.

on 1/3/2012 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have reviewed the lotion, which is pretty much my HG for most of the time, but winter is here, along with every.single.weekend spent snowboarding, and I needed something heavier...

Rather than take my chances with something off the shelf that might break me out, stay greasy, not hydrate, cost a bloody fortune and all around be a damned disappointment (again), I decided to pop the seven bucks for the lotion's slightly more Rubenesque sister...the cream!

Same smell as the lotion, which fades after about five minutes. Goes on with nice slip and your skin just SUCKS it up if it's dry like mine. Stays hydrated for the most of the day and doesn't break me out.

Not a lot of foofoo, no anti/hydrox/superduper/chemically-sounding names that supposedly will do whamodyne things to your skin and...uh...don't. It DOES have silicones in it, which irritates me. I am using it as a night cream, my pillows don't care if my face looks smoother when I sleep (and I don't believe hubby does either; if I ask him, he'll just look at me confusedly and mumble "What the f*** are you talking about??) The lotion doesn't contain 'cones as far as I know, which I have to be sparing with, as over time I will get breakouts.

No sunscreen, either, which is fine by me...I put mine on after the fact because most sunscreen-inclusive lotions either make me break out, make my face burn, or greaseball me from here to kingdom come. That, and this is a minor quibble, but I don't want to smell like I'm at the beach when I'm getting ready to go out. It confuses me, y'know?

All in all, a basic, common, everyday kinda staple. Good deal.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Okay, so the smell put me off AT FIRST. I thought it was incredibly old lady. HOWEVER, after using it for about a month, I have fallen in love with this product. It makes my skin so soft and hydrates it so well. I only use it at night, but it's made a difference in my skin, and I no longer get dry and flakey! If you can get over the old lady smell, this moisturizer is amazing.

on 11/5/2011 9:08:00 PM

This moisturizer does a great job at what it's supposed to do! I have tried Hope in a Jar by Philosophy and they really can't compare. Olay smells much better than Philosophy's Hope and does a way better job for much cheaper. Can't beat that. About the smell I guess you either love it or hate it but at the end it doesn't matter because it goes away after 10 minutes and if the smell is one of the things keeping you from using this, it's definitely worth it giving it a try.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I have really oily skin that is acne prone and I use a tretinoin treatment which leaves me flaking but without pimples, so i have really dry spots who get oily trough the day. Really weird. I was using an Origins moisturizer (the white tea one) but it was not helping at all it just made my skin greasy but still flaky while being irritating. As soon as i bought this one it tried it and it was like a miracle! Was not greasy, was really soothing and refreshing, made my skin soft and the flakes disappeared. I'm so relieved i bought it and for the price it's a steal. The only thing i didn't like at first was the smell but after a while i stopped noticing it. Anyways it kind of disappear after a certain time.

on 9/5/2011 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I use the regular beauty fluid during the day and this at night. I have dry, sensitive skin - this cream moisturizes without being heavy or causing breakouts. I actually enjoy the scent, it doesn't bother me at all - the tub it comes in is also fine for my liking, as the cream is thick and it would be difficult to get it out of anything else.

on 8/23/2011 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

My skin isn't too dry normally, so this moisturizes quite well for my normal skin. It also has a nice smell to it, which I do like, although I realized that some may not be too in love with this smell. The texture is nice & I love the packaging as well. I do recommend this moisturizer, & for it's price, it's super worth it because it does its job of moisturizing & it lasts quite a long time too! I've been using it for about months (although I don't use on an everyday basis) in generous amounts & I still have about half remaining!

Although I'm not too sure of how this product will work out for older women, as they would need more moisturizing on their skin.

on 7/29/2011 5:53:00 PM

This product is ok. I don't see much of a difference with my skin. I have dry skin and it doesn't really help with the dry patches on my face. I think I need something stronger for my dry skin. I'm not too into the smell of this product either. At least it did not make me break out or itch. I also have sensitive skin. I think this moisturizer would be suitable for people with sensitive skin.

I love it, it works. It's thick and you dont need a whole lot, but I slather it on and rub it in real good in upward circular motions cuz I suffer nasty ugly dry skin haha. Olay prodcuts have helped me so much. This is one of the three night creams that I have tried. Olay complete night cream is awesome too, and the night firming cream is alright too. They all give me good results. Very moisturizing !!! I hate the cheap tub it comes in and I hate the scent. I hate scented shit going on my face and sadly every brand I like does that, clean & clear, neutrogena, and olay. Come onnnn.

on 6/29/2011 12:33:00 PM

It's kinda funny how I stumbled upon this moisturizer. My 72 year old mother uses this. I was spending the weekend at her house and forgot my moisturizer, and this is the only one she had in the house. She looks great for her age and apparently has been using this for years.

I will admit I'm not a fan of the smell. However, for the price this is actually a very good day moisturizer. I also use the much more expensive Hope in a Jar by Philosophy and I have to say this Olay moisturizer reacts much better on my skin. I don't get little bumps and my face is really smooth and hydrated.

The next time I saw my mom she showed up with a jar for me. I'm still using it but when it's gone I will RUN to the drugstore to buy another jar. This one is a keeper!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Oh, Active Hydrating Cream, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

* I tried your more expensive sisters - none of them left my skin baby smooth as you do. I threw everything I could find at my permanently dry cheek patch, and you fixed it in three days, you clever thing, you!

* You are kind on the wallet and easy to acquire. You are an equal opportunity blessing!

* You smell good. This is important as you linger by my nose.

* You began as my night cream, then I couldn't get enough of you and started wearing you during the day as well, which you were perfectly happy with. I may have to give you up during summer, but rest assured, I will return for you.

* Sometimes I am overenthusiastic with you on my T-zone and you break me out a little. But it's always shallow one-day pimples, and the skin around them is sooooo moisturised.

* You are one-step. After struggling for years with three pots of overpriced crud in my bag, vainly hoping for dry-patch salvation... you are a revelation!

* You disappear into my skin so quickly! My skin is in the best condition it's been in since childhood. Please stay good to me, Active Hydrating Cream, and you will have a home forever. :)