August 27, 2014 | 1802 users online

Top/Base Coats - OPI - Nail Envy - Matte

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2010 5:03:00 AM More reviews by mickeyrdam

As others have noticed, not completely matte, but with a subtle sheen.
I am thinking whether I would recommend it to men. On the one hand, it gives your nails a healthy manicured look (so, if that's what you want, go for it), but on the other hand, yes, it is noticeable. I would definitely not put more than one layer cause or it gets much shinier with the second one.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2010 1:54:00 AM More reviews by pearl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This stuff works! I got it bc my nails are prone to peeling or splitting at the sides. I used to use nailtiques but hated the way multiple coats looked like glopped on polish after a while. This fixes that by having a matte finish. So it works for me bc I'll actually use it daily, and thus my nails don't split. They DO still break sometimes, if you slam your finger into something there's only so much stress they can take. But it relieves the breaking and inability to grow them long caused by peeling! One downside is the matte finish doesn't last long- if I put on hand lotion my nails look shiny. Shiny, not gloppy like seven layers of nailtiques. I'm still happy!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/21/2010 9:44:00 PM More reviews by bwonggg

This is a really great base coat. It creates a smooth canvas to paint over. I tried to use it as a topcoat, but it doesnt really look matte after a while, and the finish wears off pretty fast.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2010 1:54:00 AM More reviews by xxanaisxx

I really like this product. I'm not sure about it's effectiveness of strengthening nails, as I keep my nails very short, but it's great as a base coat under polish - it works very well as a ridge filler, making nails look so smooth, which is great prep for wearing bright coloured cremes. It is expensive, but my bottle, with regular use, has lasted over a year. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2009 11:52:00 AM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVES THIS SO FREAKIN MUCH!

I ALSO LOVE..... the ORIGINAL FORMULA and NAILTEK II FOUNDATION

This works as well as the original finish. I use it as a base coat. It has never peeled and it lasts as long as I want it to.

It actually has a sheen finish...not really a true matte.... Though,the N.Tek II FNDN is.

If you have thin, peeling, bending and slow growing nails that just rips and bends........BUY ONE OF THESE STRENGTHENERS!

I rotate between N.TK and N.Envy and I now have good looking nails. My nails were horrible!!!! I was so jealous of my sisters and my mommys strong long nails. I wanted their nails! Unfortunately, I did not get that gene! :( Ever since I can remember my nails bent backwards and forwards and therefore could not keep any lacquer on for more than 24hrs.

Enter N.TEK II FN......I used it for about 2 months and it was doing something. Ladies, it did burn my cuticles at first... so just keep these strengtheners away from them.

Remember this ladies....It takes many weeks to see results. The "bad" parts need to grow out. So the newer growth can be strengthened. So don't give up after only a few weeks! ;)

All was going well and then I needed something different/ stronger for my right pointer and middle nails and WOW ENVY did it!

I was so scared I would ruin the entire progress I had made with my N.TK.... but I gave it a shot.(Many other products have made my nails peel like crazy... and made them worse...so yeah, I was scared!) lol THANK GOODNESS IT DIDN'T! These are 2 rocking products that has never made my nails peel and 100% WORKS! WOW! I now have long, stronger and absolutely NO PEELING nails!!!YAY ME!

Here is my process....

Use a glass file only! Emery and metal files do not seal edge and therefore makes them peel.

I massage in a cuticle oil/cream 2 times a day(underneath too)

In the beginning I used the N.TEKII as it was directed on the box... for 2-3 weeks or so. Follow the directions as stated, though I actually put another coat on daily and not every other day as stated.

Then you can start to use these as a base coat under your lacquer.

I apply 2 coats of one of these as a base, then 2 layers of lacquer. (I only use OPI lacquer cuz it is the only formula for me that actyaly lasts. Also,the application is like butter. All other drugstore brands really did peel off of my nails the same/next day.... I do wash my hands a lot) But, the OPI formula does last on me for awhile! Yay!!!

I also, use a quick dry top coat to finish them off. A little note: PUT IT ON WHILE THE LACQUER IS WET, or it will peel off the next day! So it can work with all the layers. (I love Seche, it has a harder protective coat. I love to tap loudly on my desk now! lol!) But also I love Poshe, its thinner though. But, it does not shrink the polish as much as Seche.) (To stop the shrinkage go side ways first at the top edge and then follow through over the edge when applying it normally)

I now have to file every 5 days or so and they are way above my fingers. I just squared them off and they feel even harder than when they were filed the regular way!YAY ME! YAY for NAIL ENVY and NAIL.TEK II FNDN!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/27/2009 7:22:00 PM More reviews by ally176

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately this made my nails yellow, which is too bad because otherwise I liked it. I didn't realize what was causing the yellowing, but when I read the other reviews complaining about it, (apparently not everyone experiences it) I had already purchased a second bottle, which is also too bad b/c it is $20 Cdn. I have thrown it out since I doubt that London Drugs will accept returns of this kind. Oh well, back to Witchcraft I guess....

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2009 8:19:00 AM More reviews by nm1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am not a fan of the new matte polish trend and was initially skeptical of the look this would result in, but it's great. This is an excellent treatment product. I don't typically wear color on my fingernails (as apposed to my deep, dark and glittery pedicure fetish) and OPI Matte gives great manicured results with a subtle sheen. Just excellent.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/15/2009 4:53:00 PM More reviews by swirrlygrrl

It worked decently as a strengthen, but I found the polish actually absorbed the ink from newsprint and turned a yucky gray. Not a good choice for ladies who like to read the newspaper.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2009 10:08:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

As a reformed nail biter (slaps wrist) I needed help to grow my nails. They were so brittle and weak, theyíd snap as soon as I managed to grow them to a neat and paintable length. Say hello to one of my beauty must-haves; Nail Envy. The MATT formula was the one that first helped me grow my nails.

Once youíve grown your nails, you donít throw this into a drawer & forget about it, oh no. Day to day lifting, carrying, cooking & cleaning means that your nails will never stop needing that protective barrier. The MATT formula is perfect to use as a base coat & Iíve found it to prevent any staining after I used dark polish.

Iíve tried out loads of different topcoats over the years, with varying degrees of success. One day I used my MATT (the bottle was within reach & my usual topcoat was in a drawer). The formula doesnít affect the colour of my polish & I went for 4/5 days chip free (I use a self powered wheelchair). For me, this is a great result.

When you first see the price youíll think itís expensive, but when you consider that itís strengthener, basecoat & topcoat in one, the price is reasonable.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2008 6:23:00 PM More reviews by jnjules

I have bought this stuff for YEARS and it's the only thing I will ever use as a base coat. B/C this is a matte formula, I think it helps to fill in ridges in the nails. It does a great job at strengthening the nails! I don't even follow the directions (supposed to use everyday) and my nails never break or chip. I use it only 1x a week, as a base coat when I do my nails. Worth every penny.