July 24, 2014 | 1791 users online

Moisturizers - MAC - Strobe Cream

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by teenofchrist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The Strobe Cream works well but the Strobe Liquid Cream worked a lot better for me. It made my makeup look flawless and beautiful. I returned this for the Strobe Liquid

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2013 7:28:00 PM More reviews by natmc13

I use this everyday on its own as it adds a lovely glowy look to my skin and highlights my cheeks and brow bones. I also mix it with my MAC studiofix foundation to add a suttle glow x

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2013 12:56:00 AM More reviews by jujubeeb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ahhhh Strobe Cream. I have a love/hate relationship with this stuff. I love everything about it until about 3 hours after application, when it just disappears into my face. I have dry skin and it adds the perfect glow to my cheekbones and brows, but it just doesn't last. I have yet to find another highlighter that has the same opalescent sheen that Strobe Cream has :(

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2013 8:45:00 PM More reviews by katrina02

I love this product! After reading so many good reviews I've decided to purchase it as I was looking for something that would make my skin 'glow' without looking too glittery.

I apply a little bit all over my face and then I put small dots on my cheeks and the middle of my forehead and then I apply my MAC Studio Fix liquid foundation with my Sigma F82 kabuki brush mixing it all together. These two products go beautify together, as you get great long-lasting coverage from the foundation but it looks very luminous without being over the top. Strobe cream has some moisturizing properties so it blends beautify.

It's not cheap but a little gos a long way and I will definitely repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by michkal

I recently discovered this while I was looking for something to mix with my studio fix fuid to make it a bit lighter in texture and to make it less flat looking. The woman at the MAC counter recommended this, and I really like it. I'm not into anything with obvious shimmer or sparkle, which is why I like this so much. It adds just the right amount of radiance. I have only used it mixed with foundation, not alone or on top of foundation. I mix a small amount with a little foundation and it looks better than foundation alone. If I use too much, it looks a little too dewy for my taste. My skin is on the oily side, so I don't need much moisture. Another plus is that this has good ingredients for skin. I was between this and the liquid, and I chose this because I heard that the liquid has more of an obvious shimmer. If you are looking for something to pat on over foundation as a highlight, I would try the liquid. If you're looking to give your foundation a little boost, I'd go for the cream. It does lighten the foundation color a bit, which I like because my nc25 is a tad dark for me. However, if your foundation is a bit light, this will make it more so. I haven't broken out from this either, which is nice.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2013 3:33:00 PM More reviews by genarod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well I guess I am on team "I have no idea how to use this product" lol.

I was so excited to buy MAC strobe cream. The MAC counter itself didn't sell it by where I live, so I actually went through a little struggle to get my hands on it.

Aesthetically this product is... beautiful. When you swatch it on the skin, it truly does have the most exquisite pearl-essence. There is almost no shimmer, there is some pink, but not overwhleming, its not gold.. there's no glitter. It literally is like liquified opals. It comes in a sleek, white, almost reflective bottle, and the scent is amazing. Although, many complain, I actually love the scent.

So, the immediate sensory appeal, for me anyway, makes me want to adore this product.

To boot, this product is filled with skin anti-oxidants, and is supposed to not only make skin look better, glowier, healthier, but it is also supposed to actually help your skin become healthier. So I was sold.

First, I used the product as a moisturizer under foundation. It disappeared into my pores. Like completely disappeared. It also didn't feel entirely hydrated. To me this isn't a moisturizer..

So, then I mixed it in with foundation. I tried this twice. One time I mixed it into Smashbox BB cream, and one time into Revlon CS. Both times, it thinned out the formula obviously, making the product like a TM-- And it looked cool swatched on my hand, but when I applied it to the face-- all that beautiful, natural, healthy looking pearlessence disappeared. It was completely gone, and well, it just looked like I was wearing my regular foundation, except now with less coverage.

Third trial, putting this over foundation. Again, I did this several times, with both SB BB and Revlon CS. I applied my foundation as usual, took a dollop of strobe cream, and applied it as I would any highlighter-- cheeks, nose up into t-zone, a little on my cupids bow--

I did this in different ways too. First, I did it with a sponge and the product disappeared. Then I did it with MY RING FINGER-- using the most ginger touch and patting literally forever.. hoping to not lose the beautiful shimmer in this product.

Anyway, both times... not only did the product basically disappear into the skin, BUT I spent sooo much time futzing around with it, that now my foundation is smeared. ...So, now I just look worse.

I feel like by the time, I actually have used enough product that it actually looks like it is doing something that there is already too much on, but if I use the tinsiest amount less, there is no effect at all. :/

Even after I get the strobe cream to show up, 10 minutes later it is gone again. Like I will do my makeup, finally get the product to show up, get in the car, check the mirror and it's gone! It's just me left with a smeared foundation face :/

And once I apply powder to fix that mess so I can be seen in public-- forget it-- now the whole process was for naught :(

I definitely won't repurchase. I guess this is a product people either love or hate. If you love it, definitely let me know-- HOWWWW do you get this product to work?!

I am thinking maybe if you have naturally really nice skin, and tiny pores, maybe you can enjoy just using this product alone, and walking out of the house with a nice reflective moisturizer.....

But that's definitely not me. I need makeup-- for large pores, fine lines, acne marks, discoloration, etc.

And MAC strobe cream is a product that definitely does not play well with others :/

Oh, one pro though, this did not break me out.

12 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2013 1:09:00 AM More reviews by cgw1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Because I love the really dewy look, I was sure I needed Strobe Cream. After using it many times, I am severely underwhelmed. I have the best luck using it under MUFE F&B (my favorite foundation). However, because F&B is already so dewy, i can't really see how strobe cream makes a difference. I can't use it by itself b/c I need foundation as a result of my acne. I've used it as a highlighter after foundation but found that it didn't last long and it rubbed my fdtn off. I think this would be great to mix with heavier fdtns, but since I swear by MUFE F&B, I'm afraid this was a pointless buy : ( Sooooe expensive for the amount of product too. Definitely a fail.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 4:59:00 AM More reviews by BassKitten808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm totally in love with this cream, my sister gave this to me because it broke her out and I was excited to try it but wasn't expecting much honestly, but I was pleasantly surprised. I love using this on days I don't wear makeup especially when I go somewhere. I don't wear makeup as much as I used to (only 2-4 days a week depending) but I never felt very comfortable when I'd go out without it until I tried this. My skin is something I'm pretty self-conscious about, it's not too bad but it's just kinda dull, dark circles, enlarged pores and post acne scars. I feel this gives my skin a healthy, beautiful glow and even though it doesn't cover anything as it's just a luminizing cream I feel so much more confident without makeup. Even better, this has amazing good-for-your-skin ingredients as well. I'm surprised Mac doesn't make that as big of a selling point because I actually didn't know how awesome the ingredients were until I did a bit of research. It's quite pricey at $30 for 1.7 fl oz but I've never tried a product like this before and I will never go anywhere without this product on again. I'm now a Mac Strobe Cream user for life.
PACKAGING:
It comes in an attractive pearlescent off-white plastic tube with the standard rubberized screw off bottom that's on a lot of Mac products. I don't really have any problems getting any product out but it's kinda messy. I'm not sure if it's just the tube I have but the product just kinda spills out of the hole very easily and it can get everywhere, the cap gets goopy as a result. So that's kind of annoying but is nothing I can't live with. I do wish it was in a pump bottle instead.
TEXTURE:
It's slightly thick, but not too thick and it's nice and creamy. It feels very silky, maybe ever so slightly greasy at first but nothing too bad at all. It really just melts into your skin, it feels very nice. The product itself is a pearly white cream with a irradescent pink shimmer.
MOISTURE:
It's fairly moisturizing but not that much. I wouldn't say this is enough if you have dry skin especially in the winter, you may need another moisturizer under this. I have combination dry skin with an oily nose and this is fine for me now that it's summer. I can wear it alone and it does a decent job at providing my skin with some moisture during the day. I'd say if you have oily skin this would be a great night time moisturizer.
FINISH:
Like I said glowy, healthy and beautiful. It gives my skin the dewiness I wish it had. Have you ever seen girls like models, celebs, or youtubers that have that dewy glow with no makeup? This gives you that! It looks very natural and not fake or shimmery at all. It's as if the irradescence just comes one with your skin. It can look slightly oily at first but once it settles into your skin it looks dewy. Despite my imperfections, it doesn't emphasize them at all. If anything it makes them look less noticeable. The effect only lasts while it's on your skin but once you put it on it lasts the entire day. My skin feels soft, smooth and plump to the touch. I can see this working on all skintones from very fair to very dark, though darker skins may not want to use too much at once as you'd have to really blend it into the skin really well so it doesn't wash you out.
EFFECTS ON MY SKIN:
I've used this consistently for about 2 weeks now and it doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I don't have too many problems with acne anymore but when my skin doesn't like something it lets me know by breaking me out very badly or irritating my skin to the point of bumps and severe dryness. I'm happy to say my skin seems to love this and I feel like the texture and look of my skin is improving. There is added fragrance to this but personally I don't smell it that much, it has a slight scent but I don't find it to be too detectable and it doesn't last. My skin is usually sensitive to fragrance but this doesn't bother it at all. We all have different skin though as my sister did break out a little from this so maybe try out a sample first.
FOR MAKEUP:
I don't really use this in conjunction with my makeup underneath it or as a highlighter. I tried it under my foundation, it looked nice but my makeup came off a lot easier with it. I mainly just use this as a moisturizer for when I don't wear any makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 1:54:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I wanted to try this because of the good reviews plus it's very multi purpose so I ordered the full size and I love it! I apply it over my primer I'm sure I could do it under but I find for me this way works best. I moisturize,prime than add my strobe cream to my forehead, nose,chin, and cheekbones and right whereI would highlight my cheeks. I then apply my BB cream and wow it makes me look so healthy and alive. I'm very fair an NW15-20 in the summer. When I add the BB cream I can see where the strobe cream is and it just totally livens my skin.

I apply my makeup and off I go. The cool thing about this stuff is I keep getting compliments on my skin and how healthy it looks. Being pale for me can be annoying because my skin can look just blah, and this cream is like instant skin duller cure. Plus it has good ingredients and it makes my skin feel super soft without a harsh fake shimmer. It looks healthy and natural instead and you only need a small amount. Whether as a moisturizer or highlighter you don't need much product. Plus I love how this can work on all skin tones imo. I just don't see it looking bad on anyone when used properly.

This has become a everyday product for me and a staple before I put on anything. I have a night cream so I don't want to use it for that. I like it during the day and how I can layer it with other skin care and my makeup. This is one of those products that I really enjoy using and would recommend it to anyone. Nice sleek packaging but a little hard to get out the cream, but good so I don't over use it. Definitely give this a try even the travel or get a sample. I hope you love this product as much as I do:) Easy 5 lippie. Highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2013 12:39:00 PM More reviews by Lollyfox

Love love love ! If you aren't willing to spring on the full size grab a travel size. I adore this under my primer.