Dior Hypnotic Poison

on 3/3/2014 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

This fragrance took me several tries to appreciate. An initial sniff a few years back proved too powdery or coconutty for my tastes. After becoming more serious about building my perfume collection, I noticed Hypnotic Poison was often referenced as a vanilla classic, gourmand without being cloying. I gave it another shot at Sephora and once again, I was distracted by certain notes. I happen to hate tuberose and this scent does have a prominent tuberose facet. Oddly enough, my SO totally loved the scent on me and so I started wearing it more consistently. I was perusing reviews and saw on fragrantica that some find this to smell like root beer. Intrigued, I sprayed, sniffed, and realized that indeed it did give a root beer effect. I do not know why, but this fact made me like the scent more. I think it allowed me to pick up on more of the spicy, sexy qualities of the scent. I know that is a bizarre and largely psychological explanation as to why I now enjoy Hypnotic Poison but it is the truth. On my skin chemistry, I get plenty of coconut and jasmine with more vanilla and apricot in the drydown. Excellent lasting power and good sillage and I cannot resist a bottle in my favorite colors. I foresee this being in my collection for years to come.

on 2/9/2014 6:08:00 PM

This smelled so unbelievably bad on me...like mouthwash and dimetap and something spicy and altogether unpleasant. No thanks!

A classic

on 1/9/2014 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This stuff smells so good, even my gynecologist wanted to know what I was wearing. I can't count the number of times I have repurchased this unbelievable mixture of vanilla almond heliotrope musky goodness. I promise that you will receive compliments for smelling so delicious when wearing this. I always do.

on 12/27/2013 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

At first spray I strongly disliked this scent, but given time with my body chemistry (truly, it seemed it took an hour), it morphed into something I absolutely had to own.

The first time I tried this, I tested in store along with Burberry Brit (one on each wrist). During the 30 or so minutes, Brit quickly settled into the warm vanilla it turns on me, while HP kept a strong tone that I just didn't like, reminiscent of playdoh. Disliking HP, I purchased Brit and left the store to go about the rest of my errands.

Fast forward around 30 mins-1 hr after I left the store. By now Brit had more or less faded and was becoming unnoticeable, but the scent of HP was still wafting into my nose and forcing me to take notice, and not in an unpleasant way. In fact, quite the contrary. Somehow the scent was still dramatically changing- improving. The playdoh-esque note that had originally offended me subsided completely. What was left was an utterly intoxicating scent of warm vanilla and almonds, plus something deep and mysterious (sorry, perfume novice with no talent for identifying ingredients). HP haunted me, and budget be damned, I returned to purchase shortly after the original Brit purchase. I simply had to have it. This scent is unique to any other I own and has become my fast favorite by far. When I'm wearing it I cannot get enough of my own scent and sniff myself like crazy, repeatedly. Highly recommending giving this one time to settle before judging, it may surprise you like it did me.

Not thrilled about the price, but will still gladly pay it again and again to keep this perfume on hand, should I ever run out.

on 12/23/2013 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

For a long time I wore Armani Code and I love it. I started running out of it and was questioning whether I should spend my money on another bottle of that since it too it quite expensive. I decided to stop using it as I was reaching the bottom since I love it but was still unsure whether I want to go buy another bottle. Anyways, I was in Sephora and I ended up in the fragrance section about to pick up a bottle of Armani. The sales associate asked me if I needed help and I said I was picking up my usual but was still looking for something new. She then told me if I like sensual smells that the ultimate one was Hypnotic Poison. I smelled it, sprayed it and fell in love. It's nothing like Armani. The only thing they have in common is that they both SCREAM "sexy". This one is a vanilla oriental, kind of spicy. No doubt very unique. I've never smelled anything like this and I'm absolutely in love. Super dark, mysterious and sexy. You really don't need to spray a lot , so in a way you're saving money because you won't have I repurchase for ages. Simply amazing.

on 11/30/2013 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I think Hypnotic Poison is one of the best gourmand orientals on the market. It's really well rounded with a lot of depth. It smells like almonds and a bit of jasmine mixed with vanilla and musk creating a dark slightly bitter aroma. I first bought this when it was launched in 1998, when everyone else was making light fruit cocktail scents. It just smelled so special and mysterious like Snow White's poison apple. I only wish they hadn't changed the bottle. The original bottle was made of glass dipped in liquid vinyl, which made it look and feel like a fetishy candy apple. The bottle I have now is still shaped the same, but the rubbery texture is gone. As far as the scent goes, the formulation I have now (2012 version) is very close to my 1998 bottle. This lasts all day on me with moderate to strong sillage depending on application.

on 11/25/2013 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

too sweet from my taste but a nice smell

This isn't bad once it settles, but for a truly hypnotic scent by Dior, I recommend Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle. Too bad rumor is Dior is discontinuing it. Stop discontinuing your best creations Dior! I still miss Miss Dior Cherie L'eau (which is very different from the Poison scents).

on 10/28/2013 6:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hypnotic Poison is a deliciously complex vanilla gourmand with an almondy facet. Strongly edible, this is one of the most toothsome, dimensional vanillas I have ever come across. It has the impression of being very creamy and smooth, like a custard. Enriched with almond notes the effect is impressively gourmand.

The alleged top notes include apricot, plum and coconut which are not very apparent to me. There is a delicious fruity quality but I interpret that as being part of the vanilla. As for the coconut, I can't make it out at all.

The listed heart notes are tuberose, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose, brazilian rosewood and caraway. While the florals are there for me, they do nothing to interrupt the edibility of the vanilla (see Kenzo Amour for a perfume that does) and are relatively subtle next to the enormous vanilla accord. The caraway has an anise like mood which maybe where people get the root beer smell from. Personally, I find that the caraway has a slightly spicy effect but I don't get root beer from it (too bad for me since I love root beer!).

Sandalwood, almond, vanilla and musk are the listed base notes. The sandalwood is very creamy and dovetails beautifully with the milky vanilla. While I am not a big fan of musk, it is not very noticeable at all until the very end of the dry down. The vanilla and almond are the stars of the composition of course.

Again, the main impression of Hypnotic Poison is edible, creamy vanilla with almond. If you're in the mood for a rich, impressive vanilla that manages to be layered and complex while loosing none of its foody, gourmand qualities, please give this a sample.

Popular Fragrances