January 28, 2015 | 1581 users online

Fragrances - Dior - Hypnotic Poison

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2014 10:45:00 PM More reviews by Eeeeelicia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff smells so good, even my gynecologist wanted to know what I was wearing. I can't count the number of times I have repurchased this unbelievable mixture of vanilla almond heliotrope musky goodness. I promise that you will receive compliments for smelling so delicious when wearing this...I always do.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 1:44:00 AM More reviews by Prncs06

At first spray I strongly disliked this scent, but given time with my body chemistry (truly, it seemed it took an hour), it morphed into something I absolutely had to own.

The first time I tried this, I tested in store along with Burberry Brit (one on each wrist). During the 30 or so minutes, Brit quickly settled into the warm vanilla it turns on me, while HP kept a strong tone that I just didn't like, reminiscent of playdoh. Disliking HP, I purchased Brit and left the store to go about the rest of my errands.

Fast forward around 30 mins-1 hr after I left the store. By now Brit had more or less faded and was becoming unnoticeable, but the scent of HP was still wafting into my nose and forcing me to take notice, and not in an unpleasant way. In fact, quite the contrary. Somehow the scent was still dramatically changing- improving. The playdoh-esque note that had originally offended me subsided completely. What was left was an utterly intoxicating scent of warm vanilla and almonds, plus something deep and mysterious (sorry, perfume novice with no talent for identifying ingredients). HP haunted me, and budget be damned, I returned to purchase shortly after the original Brit purchase. I simply had to have it. This scent is unique to any other I own and has become my fast favorite by far. When I'm wearing it I cannot get enough of my own scent and sniff myself like crazy, repeatedly. Highly recommending giving this one time to settle before judging, it may surprise you like it did me.

Not thrilled about the price, but will still gladly pay it again and again to keep this perfume on hand, should I ever run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2013 7:54:00 PM More reviews by Angelseleena

For a long time I wore Armani Code and I love it. I started running out of it and was questioning whether I should spend my money on another bottle of that since it too it quite expensive. I decided to stop using it as I was reaching the bottom since I love it but was still unsure whether I want to go buy another bottle. Anyways, I was in Sephora and I ended up in the fragrance section about to pick up a bottle of Armani. The sales associate asked me if I needed help and I said I was picking up my usual but was still looking for something new. She then told me if I like sensual smells that the ultimate one was Hypnotic Poison. I smelled it, sprayed it and fell in love. It's nothing like Armani. The only thing they have in common is that they both SCREAM "sexy". This one is a vanilla oriental, kind of spicy. No doubt very unique. I've never smelled anything like this and I'm absolutely in love. Super dark, mysterious and sexy. You really don't need to spray a lot , so in a way you're saving money because you won't have I repurchase for ages. Simply amazing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Hypnotic Poison is one of the best gourmand orientals on the market. It's really well rounded with a lot of depth. Almonds and sambac jasmine mix with vanilla and musk creating a dark, bitter aroma. Launched in 1998, when everyone else was making light fruit cocktail scents, Hypnotic Poison was, and is, Snow White's poison apple. I only wish they hadn't changed the bottle. The original bottle was made of glass dipped in liquid vinyl, which made it look and feel like a fetishy candy apple. The bottle I have now is still shaped the same, but the rubbery texture is gone. Alas, you can't have everything.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2013 1:32:00 PM More reviews by butny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

too sweet from my taste but a nice smell

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2013 10:20:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

This isn't bad once it settles, but for a truly hypnotic scent by Dior, I recommend Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle. Too bad rumor is Dior is discontinuing it. Stop discontinuing your best creations Dior! I still miss Miss Dior Cherie L'eau (which is very different from the Poison scents).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 6:31:00 AM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hypnotic Poison is a deliciously complex vanilla gourmand with an almondy facet. Strongly edible, this is one of the most toothsome, dimensional vanillas I have ever come across. It has the impression of being very creamy and smooth, like a custard. Enriched with almond notes the effect is impressively gourmand.

The alleged top notes include apricot, plum and coconut which are not very apparent to me. There is a delicious fruity quality but I interpret that as being part of the vanilla. As for the coconut, I can't make it out at all.

The listed heart notes are tuberose, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose, brazilian rosewood and caraway. While the florals are there for me, they do nothing to interrupt the edibility of the vanilla (see Kenzo Amour for a perfume that does) and are relatively subtle next to the enormous vanilla accord. The caraway has an anise like mood which maybe where people get the root beer smell from. Personally, I find that the caraway has a slightly spicy effect but I don't get root beer from it (too bad for me since I love root beer!).

Sandalwood, almond, vanilla and musk are the listed base notes. The sandalwood is very creamy and dovetails beautifully with the milky vanilla. While I am not a big fan of musk, it is not very noticeable at all until the very end of the dry down. The vanilla and almond are the stars of the composition of course.

Again, the main impression of Hypnotic Poison is edible, creamy vanilla with almond. If you're in the mood for a rich, impressive vanilla that manages to be layered and complex while loosing none of its foody, gourmand qualities, please give this a sample.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2013 7:45:00 AM More reviews by Mereleigh

This fragrance is unique and unlike the other hundreds of fragrances I own, which is why it is in my collection. There is a sweet but dark quality to the scent, which seems to only lend itself to very specific times. I love it for me, but would never wear it to work. My partner dislikes it. She calls it "The Haunted House Perfume." If I have been in another room, sprayed it, and she comes in even hours later, she will ask "Did you spray Haunted House?" I probably will always associate the scent with Halloween, Fall nights, and spookiness because of that. I would actually really enjoy this scent as a candle or room fragrance. The spicy vanilla and oriental musky vibe would be intriguing as a home fragrance. However, as a signature perfume, this would never do for me. Others find it too strong, dangerously spicy. The bottle even looks like a poisonous apple. Still, I return to the scent time and again, for my own enjoyment! Pick your Poison, but to me, Hypnotic is best.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2013 8:02:00 AM More reviews by shellylamb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Iv been in love with this for years. It kinda smells between chocolate and play dough. Its delicious. The down side is that I cant find a copy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 7:50:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Best of the three, this is a Poison I can survive with on a daily basis. This Poison's fumes expand and grow minute by minute, giving you an ultimately powdered, spicy experience. Reminiscent of true orientals from yesteryear, it delivers a solid, steady wood-filled punch for hours.
I love when perfumes give me images when I wear them. It makes wearing them all the more interesting.
Veils of foggy mists on undulating mountains, overlooking lush valleys interspersed with lakes on a raw, damp day. The air is chilled and the grey skies won't let the sun through. It's a bit soggy underfoot, the pine needles are soft and quiet as I am walking. An occasional branch snaps as I maneuver through the trails. Pillars of evergreens form an open roof above me. That's where Hypnotic Poison takes me.
It's a cool weather scent that I haven't become tired of and reach for regularly.
Top Notes: Apricot, Plum, Coconut.
Middle Notes: Tuberose, Jasmine, Caraway, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Brazilian Rosewood, Rose.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Almond, Musk, Vanilla.