4711 - Echt Kolnisch Wasser (Original Eau de Cologne)

4.1

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is what my childhood memories smell like. I can remember standing beside my (German) Grandpa as he shaved and then splashed this on. Its a light lemony scent - not strong at all. My mom also wears this occasionally as well. A nice scent for a man or a woman. I personally don't wear it but I am thinking about picking up a bottle!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

If you like smell same as your granny this is it. But me, it`s absolutely horrible smell. Never ever worn it! YAK!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

First I must say that I misread or misunderstood the size of the bottle when I ordered it from amazon. I thought it was 8 ounces for about $23, a great deal! When I got the box in the mail, it looked a bit large. Once I retrieved the bottle from the box, it looked like a bottle of gin! 800 ml. Stupid me. My husband bravely unpeeled the wrapper and I smelled the cologne. Limey and bracingly cool with a slap of alcohol. I can see where men liked it long long ago. I did not. We re-assembled the wrapper and my husband now has the best gag gift for the annual office Christmas gag gift exchange. Sure beats the stuffed gorilla he got. But, honestly, even if the bottle were 1/10th the size, it was not a scent for either my husband or myself. And yes, I am trying to find a men's cologne to replace my dearly beloved and dastardly changed Old Spice.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I fell in love with this as a German exchange student--it was as ubiquitous in Germany as it is "quaint" and "unusual" here in the U.S. I had the soap, the towelettes, everything-- it was my saving grace being in a hot southern German town in August. Very uplifting unisex fougere, lots of orange blossom, lemon, and petitgrain. It's been around 300+ years for good reason! I'm convinced Calvin Klein styled his CKOne after this. Just fresh, uncomplicated, relaxing, and very very clean. 1,000 times better than Jean Nate, IMO. You can splash liberally and not overdo it. I put this in my daughter's hair sometimes and apply it after her bath. It's rather expensive online but I found a 10-ounce bottle for $15 at Marshalls.

Being a history lover, I reeeeally want to love this fragrance. I adore the bottle design and the fact that this was the first cologne ever made, plus it's very affordable. I normally like vintage and medicinal-smelling scents, but 4711 reminds me of the cola-flavored candies called Bottle Caps. That's all I can think of when I smell it. Because of the slight medicine quality, it would be more like the kid's chewable asprin version of Bottle Caps. In the dry down, there's also a slight sun-screen vibe. A good fragrance for summer. It's not a bad smell, but it just doesn't conjure up any amazing memories or feelings for me. It's a clean, crisp, medicinal, cola-like scent -- similar to Prada Infusion d'Homme. A nice fragrance, just not something I would personally want to wear.

I read all the glowing reviews of this and I wonder if I just didn't get a bad bottle. I think it smells awful. It has a weird sickly sweet smell and reminds me of some sort of citrus bathroom cleaner. I get an instant headache from it. I've been holding on to it thinking maybe I'll suddenly fall in love with it. Nope, everytime I try it on I curse. I love the bottle though!

The first time I bought this, I was in high school. I think I liked the Old World bottle it came in. It has a citrusy-lemony scent. Later (married, kids) I couldn't afford it, but I found the much maligned Jean Nate smelled even more lemony and was cheaper. Then I discovered Opium, which to me smells like night, the exact opposite of 4711 and Jean Nate, which smell like day. And yes, I'd buy BOTH again!

This is such a victorian style cologne. The bottle is so cute and looks good on my dresser. It smells so fresh and uplifiting i can get carried away and splash it on my linen. A true classic.

I've been lurking around makeup alley for quite sometime enjoying the many helpful reviews, so i figured i better show my appreciation by writing one. i am happy to make 4711 my first review as i have recently rediscovered this wonderful cologne over 20 years later. i used to wear it in high school and i am 40 now. i absolutely adore this fragrance! it is so light, uplifting and fresh. the bergamot and neroli are the notes that my nose really detects and both of the scents are considered to be uplifting and antidepressant in aromatherapy. i couldn't agree more. the staying power isn't the best, but it is reasonably priced and a joy to splash on, that i don't mind reapplying during the day. i was on 4711.com recently and saw that they have a new fragrance called ice that i'm really anxious to try next. thanks to all of you that have given such wonderful reviews that have saved me from buying things i don't need, and finding products that i really love!

This is the very definition of a perfect summer scent to me - light, crisp, and fresh. There's nothing heavy, sweet or cloying about it. I carry a small spray bottle of it in my purse or tote bag on hot summer days because it's a wonderful pick-me-up in the heat. A German lady told me once to put it on my temples and the back of my neck to help ease tension headaches - it's calming in the same way as lavender (although it's not lavender-scented). I think Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien is a very similarly styled scent, but much more expensive.

Popular Fragrances