October 25, 2014 | 926 users online

Fragrances - 4711 - Echt Kolnisch Wasser (Original Eau de Cologne)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2009 4:23:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I fell in love with this as a German exchange student--it was as ubiquitous in Germany as it is "quaint" and "unusual" here in the U.S. I had the soap, the towelettes, everything-- it was my saving grace being in a hot southern German town in August. Very uplifting unisex fougere, lots of orange blossom, lemon, and petitgrain. It's been around 300+ years for good reason! I'm convinced Calvin Klein styled his CKOne after this. Just fresh, uncomplicated, relaxing, and very very clean. 1,000 times better than Jean Nate, IMO. You can splash liberally and not overdo it. I put this in my daughter's hair sometimes and apply it after her bath. It's rather expensive online but I found a 10-ounce bottle for $15 at Marshalls.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by UrbanSkies

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Being a history lover, I reeeeally want to love this fragrance. I adore the bottle design and the fact that this was the first cologne ever made, plus it's very affordable. I normally like vintage and medicinal-smelling scents, but 4711 reminds me of the cola-flavored candies called Bottle Caps. That's all I can think of when I smell it. Because of the slight medicine quality, it would be more like the kid's chewable asprin version of Bottle Caps. In the dry down, there's also a slight sun-screen vibe. A good fragrance for summer. It's not a bad smell, but it just doesn't conjure up any amazing memories or feelings for me. It's a clean, crisp, medicinal, cola-like scent -- similar to Prada Infusion d'Homme. A nice fragrance, just not something I would personally want to wear.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2009 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Kimbis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I read all the glowing reviews of this and I wonder if I just didn't get a bad bottle. I think it smells awful. It has a weird sickly sweet smell and reminds me of some sort of citrus bathroom cleaner. I get an instant headache from it. I've been holding on to it thinking maybe I'll suddenly fall in love with it. Nope, everytime I try it on I curse. I love the bottle though!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2009 7:13:00 AM More reviews by castell

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The first time I bought this, I was in high school. I think I liked the Old World bottle it came in. It has a citrusy-lemony scent. Later (married, kids) I couldn't afford it, but I found the much maligned Jean Nate smelled even more lemony and was cheaper. Then I discovered Opium, which to me smells like night, the exact opposite of 4711 and Jean Nate, which smell like day. And yes, I'd buy BOTH again!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2008 4:45:00 AM More reviews by Legs11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is such a victorian style cologne. The bottle is so cute and looks good on my dresser. It smells so fresh and uplifiting i can get carried away and splash it on my linen. A true classic.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2008 12:22:00 PM More reviews by LinaFlick

I've been lurking around makeup alley for quite sometime enjoying the many helpful reviews, so i figured i better show my appreciation by writing one. i am happy to make 4711 my first review as i have recently rediscovered this wonderful cologne over 20 years later. i used to wear it in high school and i am 40 now. i absolutely adore this fragrance! it is so light, uplifting and fresh. the bergamot and neroli are the notes that my nose really detects and both of the scents are considered to be uplifting and antidepressant in aromatherapy. i couldn't agree more. the staying power isn't the best, but it is reasonably priced and a joy to splash on, that i don't mind reapplying during the day. i was on 4711.com recently and saw that they have a new fragrance called ice that i'm really anxious to try next. thanks to all of you that have given such wonderful reviews that have saved me from buying things i don't need, and finding products that i really love!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2008 12:50:00 AM More reviews by jeanjean17

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the very definition of a perfect summer scent to me - light, crisp, and fresh. There's nothing heavy, sweet or cloying about it. I carry a small spray bottle of it in my purse or tote bag on hot summer days because it's a wonderful pick-me-up in the heat. A German lady told me once to put it on my temples and the back of my neck to help ease tension headaches - it's calming in the same way as lavender (although it's not lavender-scented). I think Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien is a very similarly styled scent, but much more expensive.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2007 2:27:00 AM More reviews by Cactus_Pear

Initial sniff of this cologne smelled a bit dank, old, strong, grandpa-ish. But the drydown is lovely and after I was used to the the strong scent, I started seeing how this cologne is very light and fresh. It's a strong/slightly spicy citrus, no cloying notes in this. Even on the hottest days, I don't get a headache from this. 4711 is great to splash on after a shower. I can see why this has remained popular for over 200 years. The cologne fades in like 15 minutes, but it's a cologne so not surprising. Great to have in your purse for touch ups during the day---it's a good pick me up when you're feeling tired or feel like having something refreshing to smell. Plus, you can't beat the price---it was $13.00 for a huge bottle for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2006 8:38:00 PM More reviews by zoegirl1987

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Other

This is a nostalgic fragrance for me. It'd be impossible for me not to like it. It's light and citrus-y. Introduced to me by my German grandmother, who favored orientals for herself but gave me a small bottle of this light cologne as my first fragrance. I don't wear it often because i apparently inhereted my grandma's taste in fragrance, and choose to wear warm orientals most of the time, but a whiff of this is a mood lifter.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2006 12:27:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

RAVE! 4711 is a light and fleeting citrusy shared fragrance. It
has an orange blossom or neroli impression with a dab of honey
and a dry light sandalwood and/ or patchouli base. 4711 is light enough for the workplace and gives just a hint of extra polish
to whatever you're wearing. A pick-me-up fragrance predating Demeter. Somewhat reminiscent of Pure Grace,
White Shoulders. Again, very fleeting but classic and superb.