October 2, 2014 | 1629 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Extra Gentle Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2013 2:57:00 AM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had a similar reaction to this as the other negative reviewers did. I didn't like it. My skin was not soothed by it. It didn't clean very well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 8:39:00 AM More reviews by blushie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this on holiday as it was more readily available than the Cetaphil I'd been using. I'm using a retin-a cream for acne, and this seemed like the mildest cleanser available at the supermarket. It is very bland, no frills type cleanser but I much prefer it over the Cetaphil. The texture is like a face cream, which I like because it doesn't run out of your hand in the shower. Although I need to double cleanse at the end of the day to get rid of makeup, I don't mind because it leaves my skin feeling soft and clean. When I use the retin-a cream, it doesn't irritate my skin or exacerbate the dryness. My skin is looking clearer too. I'll be repurchasing!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by pecantan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

in terms of cleansing....quite frankly, it sucks! i dont mind removing my makeup first, that is normal for me. but with this cleanser, i had to spend extra time making sure i got EVERY drop of makeup off because this cleanser removes nothing. i also hated the texture of it..i never felt like i was really washing my face. it just felt like i was rubbing thick lotion on it and then rinsing it off. my face didnt feel clean afterwards, and i felt like there was a heavy film on it. perhaps i have just gotten used to cleansers that lather up,but that is what i need to make my face feel clean. it did not irritate my eyes like a lot of cleansers do...however it caused a few major breakouts. i was disappointed with this cleanser and will not repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by trishcat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Too drying for me. I have combination skin that is also sensitive. I have dermatitis too, so not only will my skin get oily and dry patches, it'll also peel and get super red. Fun times. Anyhoo, this cleanser does not strike me as Extra Gentle. Maybe if you're super oily all over it'll work for you. I will say it gets the oil off my face, but if you've got dry skin, this isn't the one for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2013 2:25:00 AM More reviews by BlueSkies09

This was the cleanser that my sister brought home after visiting her dermatologist about her cystic acne. While my skin is not as troubled as hers, I do get blemishes (for which I use a prescribed topical acne lotion), so I thought I would try this cleanser as well. I have noticed great improvement to my complexion ever since.

As for the product itself: I love its creamy texture, as well as the fact that it is so gentle, with no added sulphates or fragrances. I use it every morning and it leaves my skin soft and fresh, never tight. I also use it in the evenings but I always remove my makeup with a facial wipe or makeup remover first, as I find this makes cleansing more effective (I do this regardless the type of cleanser I am using). If you are not one to do this, by itself this cleanser won't be enough for makeup removal because it doesn't lather or foam, as many others have attested to. If you are looking for a good foaming cleanser that doesn't strip the skin, I'd recommend Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming Cleanser. I use this in summer when my skin has more oil but soon as any dryness presents itself, I come back to the Extra Gentle.

In regards to the packaging: the pump is great for keeping in the shower or vanity cupboard but inconvenient for travelling. I wish it also came in a tube with a cap, like some of the cleansers from Olay (another good brand to consider).

That being said, this is a lovely cleanser, gentle and affordable, recommended by my sister's dermatologist and me too.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2013 10:50:00 AM More reviews by L7997

For those who are interested in non-stripping, basic cleansers such as this, i suggest to take a look at Aquanil's cleanser too.

I used this as a teenager so what you read is what I recall. I do intend on trying this again to compare it to Aquanil's cleanser, which I am using now.

The cleanser has a light consistency. It is gentle in application and washes off easily. Using it is like a refreshing rinse. It's better than just splashing water on your face and I think that's enough, especially in the morning or after a sweat. I think it will be soothing for those with sensitive, dry, or acne prone skin.

Don't expect makeup or thick grime to be removed with this. If what you have on your skin is oil based or something that must be scrubbed off, then do not rely on this. It will not remove foundation thoroughly. for instance, If you had vaseline on your face and then used this cleanser to remove it, don't expect the vaseline to just rinse away.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Well, it is gentle and doesn't leave my face feeling dried out as most cleansers do. That's nice. By the same token, I'm not convinced that it removes my face makeup properly. On days when I've been using BB cream, I've had to use my usual cleanser to dissolve it because it definitely doesn't get through makeup of that sort, so I'm not confident as to its efficacy in removing primers, either.

It's nice to have double insurance that every last skerrick of makeup is removed but, to be honest, between my eye makeup remover, my usual cleanser and my toner, I'm squeaky-clean from the top of my hairline to my decollage already. Basically, I'm just using it because it seems a shame to throw it out.

One thing I have noticed is that, since starting the bottle (it's nearly finished now), I seem to have developed a few tiny blackheads around my nose which is something I haven't had issues with for years. It may just be a coincidence but, considering that I was expecting something that would really cleanse my face and not just something to slather on and wash off to feel as though I've cleansed my face, it's not worth the money or room in my already overstuffed bathroom cabinet.

Why do I get the feeling that I'd do just a well just washing my face with tepid water... or using my sorbolene cream (the pure stuff)?

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2013 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Dreamer731

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this cleanser because it's made for sensitive skin and it's fragrance free. However I didn't realize it was a non foaming cleanse until I tried it for the first time. It looks and feels like lotion and well, it feels like your washing your face with lotion. It also did not do a very good job of removing my makeup. I have to say though it is a truly gentle cleanser. It did not cause any break outs for me. It's very moisturizing as well. So if your a person with dry sensitive skin you may want to give this product a try. This just wasn't quite what I was looking for in a facial cleanser. I think foaming cleaners do an overall better job of cleansing and removing makeup.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2013 8:29:00 PM More reviews by Olivia68

It does not take my makeup off at all therefore I do not use it and wasted my money. When I get out of the shower and dry my face there is a heap off makeup that has come off on my towel. You would need to take your makeup off first with a face wipe before using it but doesnt that defeat the purpose of a cleaner? Its kind of like washing your face with a cream, it does not foam up at all which I dont like.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2013 8:17:00 PM More reviews by JLsunshine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was just about to give up on Neutrogena products because I have had awful experiences in the past trying facial scrubs and cleansers from this line. It broke out my face so badly that i had to layer on the makeup to hide how bad it was. I decided to give it one last try when i saw the extra gentle cleanser. I have to admit it caught my eye when it said 'extra gentle' because my skin was so broken out and irritated that i needed a very gentle cleanser to help relieve it. I became a huge fan this cleanser because it is unscented (no irritation), nice consistency (is not greasy or sticky), and completely helps remove all makeup without leaving my skin feeling dry afterwards. Within a few weeks of using my face looked much better and i feel that this face wash saved my skin from the train wreck it was before.