April 20, 2014 | 1315 users online

Mascara - Clinique - Lash Building Primer

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by sourclementine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It's a decent price but nothing special... I like that it keeps my mascara from flaking but I wish it did more for the price ($18). I didn't really notice my lashes looking longer or more voluminous so I think I'll have to continue looking for something better and more worth the money.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by amarock

I bought this primer to try out since it's readily available in the North American market. My previous experience with mascara primer / bases was Kanebo (Kate) which was excellent but not easily available - my wish was to find something relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. Unfortunately, the Clinique Lash Building Primer did not live up to the expectations.

My mascara application routine is normally as follows: curl lashes with Shiseido curler, apply mascara base (this part is optional depending on the look I'm going for), let base dry, apply mascara, and then comb through lashes with Tweezerman metal lash comb. This primer has normal bristles and a small brush which does make for easy application, however, as many others have mentioned, this base does not hold a curl at all. As soon as I apply the primer, my lashes start to uncurl themselves, thus wasting the effort of curling them with a lash curler to begin with. I've also tested not allowing the primer to dry before applying my mascara but it made no difference and actually was more of a pain to cover the white colour of the primer while it was still wet. Also, the formula is quite wet and takes a while to dry before I can apply my mascara. I didn't notice a huge difference in length when using this primer, but it did make my lashes look more voluminous. I also did not see a significant improvement in how long my mascara stayed on without smearing / flaking. One good use I found for this primer was layering under waterproof mascaras which tend to irritate my eyes if I wear them alone - when I layer a primer, it helps to lessen the irritation, for some reason.

This cost $17CAD, which isn't exorbitant and I purchased it during a Clinique gwp event along with something else - so I guess all was not lost as I got some nice samples to try out. It does not contain very much product at 4.8g per tube - overall, I would not recommend this product and would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2012 11:35:00 PM More reviews by floofinator

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

For now this is my go-to lash primer. Ever since they discontinued my beloved Shiseido The Makeup mascara base, and unable to drop money on another tube of Dior lash primer, I decided to try Clinique's. It doesn't lengthen as much as my Shiseido, but does a great job holding a curl in my coarse and hard to curl lashes, and helps with separating lashes before I apply mascara. Best of all, it's probably one of the less expensive primers out there.

I will continue to repurchase until I find something that works as well as my old Shiseido!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2012 10:29:00 PM More reviews by ilovemacchiato

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used to have a problem with my mascara smearing a little under my eyes throughout the day. Between this and the Aquatique shadow primer I no longer have to wipe makeup from my lower eyelids throughout the day.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2012 11:05:00 AM More reviews by aldrinmoore

After reading the reviews i thought id try it as the one i wanted lancome was waaaaaay to expensive for me at the momment.Like another reviewer said its no different to the mascaras you get with a primer so its good but iv'e tried the 2 in 1 mascaras and for price will find another one of those again instead of buying this.For me eyelash primers won't give a excellent curl anyway, thats when a good eyelash curler comes in to help..this is a good price tho and im glad i tried it but won't be repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2012 1:21:00 PM More reviews by flowerlover

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It went on well and did help my lashes to look better at first. Then after a short time, it pulled the curl out. Took it back. Will try Merle Norman next.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by bimini156

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this primer and have been using it for about a month now. I was somewhat surprised by all the glowing reviews. I find this to be not any better than the primer that comes with my different 2-in-1 mascaras. I have fairly long but fine lashes. Was hoping for more volume from this product. For the price I just don't think its worth it. I will use this up but will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 6:58:00 PM More reviews by asyoulikeit

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product does everything it is supposed to do. I had actually forgotten about primers and mostly gave up wearing any mascara on my skimpy lashes since their return following chemo. This is the first I've tried - I've already ordered a couple of other brands to try - but I doubt I'll find anything to compare to Clinique and will just ignore the higher price and stay with this. I apply two coats of primer and two coats of any mascara. I have lashes again!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2011 3:01:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great for lengthening and volumizing. Defeats curling your lashes because they will wilt. I'm a bit sad, since I bought it to help hold my curl.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2011 1:53:00 PM More reviews by scs2dd

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this primer for over a year and am very happy with it. It goes on smooth and does a good job lengthening and plumping up my lashes. No, it won't give you obese, monolithic lashes, but I have been told a few times that "wow, your eyelashes look so long!" (My bare lashes are nothing to stare at, trust me.) The packaging is also pretty sleek! I think this primer deserves higher ratings than it's been getting.