December 19, 2014 | 892 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Secret Camouflage

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 11:25:00 AM More reviews by grandmastersass

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've never written a review on MU, but after snagging this concealer last week I felt totally compelled. This is, without a doubt, the best concealer I've ever used. Its texture is waxy and the product is a little stubborn, which I actually find positive because it encourages me to only use as much as I need—which is VERY LITTLE. I use it with a retractable lip brush, an ideal accompaniment because I can toss it in my purse without the head collecting stray dirt and tobacco. The pigmentation is top-notch and the blending feature gets the color just right. My face is ridden with some serious monster zits right now, and Secret Camo eradicates ALL evidence of them. Packaging is a little cumbersome, but I actually find brush application yields the best results. Get thee to the Laura Mercier counter y'all, especially my fellow zitty freak comrades.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2013 10:26:00 AM More reviews by rachael122

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

At first, I really wasn't sure how I felt about this product. I felt like the consistency was very dry and it was difficult to use. After learning to use it, however, I've grown to like it a lot more. It does have a waxy texture but I don't find it to be drying. I use my finger to apply this because it works better than using a brush for me. I know that this is not meant for under the eyes, but that's what I mostly use it for and feel like it works well for me. It provides a lot of coverage and eliminates dark circles completely. Also, this stuff will last you a long time--I've had this product for over a year and have yet to hit pan yet. My only complaint is that I wish it was available with single shades for people like me who only use one side of the compact anyways.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by songy67

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm an NC15 in MAC foundations and I picked up the shade SC-2. I stood there in store for a long time debating between SC-2 and SC-3. I believe the two have an identical shade housed in the larger concealer pan, but the smaller pan of SC-2 is a peachy-salmon shade whereas SC-3 has a slightly darker, more yellow color.

When I first dug into this I was a little put off by how dry it felt. I had to really swirl my finger in the pan to melt it a bit and pick up any product. However, once you get through the top waxy layer, the product underneath gets noticeably easier to work with. Now I can pick it up with a brush just as easily as with a finger.

The pigmentation is insane. Extremely high-coverage! I originally thought this would have a thick, waxy consistency to it, but the texture is actually quite a bit thinner than expected and relatively lightweight without sacrificing coverage. It's definitely not an emollient or moisturizing formula though so I wouldn't use this on my under-eye area. I reserve this for use on redness, blemishes, and scars.

The larger pan has strong yellow undertones and is a shade or two darker than my skin tone. However, these two color characteristics make it great for canceling out the redness under my nose and the redness of blemishes and muting down their appearance on my skin. The other smaller pan of salmon-toned concealer is perfect for correcting that ashy/ gray shadow you can get when a blemish is dying and on its way out, or the grayness of old scars and other imperfections.

I have oily/ combo skin and this wears really well throughout the day. I notice that whatever I conceal in the morning remains concealed. If you have dry skin though I would recommend exfoliating, prepping, and moisturizing your skin well. This has the tendency to dry out areas of the skin that are already suffering and can make it appear scaly and flaky.

This product should last for a very very long time because it is so pigmented and you get so much product. However, I'm not too pleased that it only comes in a compact pan form where so much of the product is exposed to the air and dust. It's not the most hygienic and I prefer cream concealers in stick form, or liquid concealers in a squeeze tube.

This is one of those products that has achieved the status of living legend in the makeup world. You hear every makeup artist and their mother swear by this, and so it leads to you throwing $32 + tax at Sephora to take this home with you. It really is a fantastic product though and I'm happy to own it. My other go-to concealers for the face are MAC's Studio Finish Concealer, Make-Up Forever Full-Cover Concealer, and the Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2013 3:53:00 PM More reviews by Malika1380

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was really looking forward to using this after I heard the positive reviews and I'm really pleased I bought it and not at all disappointed, you have to really work it into your skin as you warm it up so it becomes more pliable. I know your suppose to use a brush and blend on the back of the hand then apply blah blah but I just warm up with my fingers as I say so it becomes pliable then it goes on great. If you can't resist putting it under your eyes then you seriously don't need much I've used under my eyes and got away with it as I used a very small amount and just patted in till it was not just sitting on top of my skin and worked in well, great product but does require a little extra work which are worth the result

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 1:22:00 AM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a serious love / hate relationship with LM Secret Camo. It really is an amazing concealer IF and only IF you find your correct color match, you learn how to properly apply it AND (this applies to most, but apparently, not all) if it is used only on the face and not as an under eye concealer. It was never intended for use under the eyes although some have reported success with it as a circle concealer. For me, although it obliterates the circles, it's just too dry no matter how much extra moisturizer I use. It is hard & dry to the touch and is tricky to apply. You can NOT just swipe your finger into this product and pat it on. That's not how it was designed to be used. If the right color is chosen (#2 was best for me & I'm an NC25) and it's used correctly w/ the right tools (LM makes a special brush just for use w/ this product), the results are truly amazing. It provides opaque coverage and it looks like skin. It is long lasting and I found that on my dryish skin, I didn't even need to set it w/ powder, although a light, rolling press of LM translucent powder on top does extend it's longevity. The down side is this product requires more effort and time than other concealers. There's a learning curve and you must master the technique to get amazing results and even when the technique is mastered, you can only conceal small areas, one at a time. This is not an issue when spot concealing is your goal but if you're looking to conceal a larger area (such as redness on cheeks), it's going to take more time than traditional concealers. BTW, I learned how to use it by watching tutorials on YouTube and by Goggling it. There's lots of info on it as it's an unusual concealer and many struggle w/ it. All in all, LM Secret Camo is probably worth the extra time and effort because it provides great coverage that is practically undetectable. I. personally, don't have the patience for it on a daily basis plus I can't seem to consistently get it to work well. I recently discovered MUFE Full Coverage (#6 is perfect for me) & although I think it is less opaque than LM Secret Camo, I find that it also provides a very realistic, skin-like finish. MUFE is much more convenient to use and quickly covers my red cheeks so I think my LM Secret Camo may start collecting dust! Still, LM Secret Camo is an excellent product. I am a concealer junkie and this is one of the best concealers that I have found for the face, especially for spot concealing.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2013 4:16:00 AM More reviews by doobs

I bought this a few years ago after seeing it recommended in a beauty bible, but like many if the reviewers on here, couldn't get on with it as I found it far too dry. Have recently returned to the LM counter to repurchase foundation. It was suggested that I actually didn't need foundation - just tinted moisturiser and Concealer. I explained my previous experience so the consultant showed me how to warm it up on my hand first then apply. So I decided to give it another go - and I'm so glad I did!! Yes it is dry but that means it stays on all day!! Just don't use it under your eyes - it's not meant for that. But anything else - it's fantastic!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by ComaGray

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This concealer compact comes in two colors, so that you can customize the best shade for you. I accidentally purchased a shade lighter than needed, but I'm able to mix the colors with a little of my foundation and the color is perfect. This stuff will cover anything! It's very thick and creamy and does not seem to aggravate my acne or cause any others. It is best applied with a concealer brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2013 1:01:00 PM More reviews by shanzaya

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This has a chalky less creamy texture but don't let that fool you it will seriously cover and it doesn't budge after you put it on. Does need to be set under the eyes. The SC-3 has a lovely yellow undertone!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2013 11:11:00 PM More reviews by dentan84

This is my second buy. I had quite bad under-eye dark circles and had used numerous big brands which ended up caking or not lasting till end of the day but LM suits me so well. Really love it's texture. Light and yet good coverage especially you top up with their loose powder. It's perfecto! Why I said is good coverage because my eyes had a tendency to be quite watery at times and the concealer works well even it tears. It does not immediately wear off easily.

What I dislike is the packaging. The cover of the LM where the mirror is, both the little plastic hinges breaks away. So now I'm facing some problem how to put it back together.

Other than packaging all goes well.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 9:57:00 PM More reviews by ana18

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Already on my second one . Doesn't break me up, doesn't wash off. It's wonderful:))