October 21, 2014 | 1470 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Secret Camouflage

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by songy67

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm an NC15 in MAC foundations and I picked up the shade SC-2. I stood there in store for a long time debating between SC-2 and SC-3. I believe the two have an identical shade housed in the larger concealer pan, but the smaller pan of SC-2 is a peachy-salmon shade whereas SC-3 has a slightly darker, more yellow color.

When I first dug into this I was a little put off by how dry it felt. I had to really swirl my finger in the pan to melt it a bit and pick up any product. However, once you get through the top waxy layer, the product underneath gets noticeably easier to work with. Now I can pick it up with a brush just as easily as with a finger.

The pigmentation is insane. Extremely high-coverage! I originally thought this would have a thick, waxy consistency to it, but the texture is actually quite a bit thinner than expected and relatively lightweight without sacrificing coverage. It's definitely not an emollient or moisturizing formula though so I wouldn't use this on my under-eye area. I reserve this for use on redness, blemishes, and scars.

The larger pan has strong yellow undertones and is a shade or two darker than my skin tone. However, these two color characteristics make it great for canceling out the redness under my nose and the redness of blemishes and muting down their appearance on my skin. The other smaller pan of salmon-toned concealer is perfect for correcting that ashy/ gray shadow you can get when a blemish is dying and on its way out, or the grayness of old scars and other imperfections.

I have oily/ combo skin and this wears really well throughout the day. I notice that whatever I conceal in the morning remains concealed. If you have dry skin though I would recommend exfoliating, prepping, and moisturizing your skin well. This has the tendency to dry out areas of the skin that are already suffering and can make it appear scaly and flaky.

This product should last for a very very long time because it is so pigmented and you get so much product. However, I'm not too pleased that it only comes in a compact pan form where so much of the product is exposed to the air and dust. It's not the most hygienic and I prefer cream concealers in stick form, or liquid concealers in a squeeze tube.

This is one of those products that has achieved the status of living legend in the makeup world. You hear every makeup artist and their mother swear by this, and so it leads to you throwing $32 + tax at Sephora to take this home with you. It really is a fantastic product though and I'm happy to own it. My other go-to concealers for the face are MAC's Studio Finish Concealer, Make-Up Forever Full-Cover Concealer, and the Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2013 3:53:00 PM More reviews by Malika1380

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was really looking forward to using this after I heard the positive reviews and I'm really pleased I bought it and not at all disappointed, you have to really work it into your skin as you warm it up so it becomes more pliable. I know your suppose to use a brush and blend on the back of the hand then apply blah blah but I just warm up with my fingers as I say so it becomes pliable then it goes on great. If you can't resist putting it under your eyes then you seriously don't need much I've used under my eyes and got away with it as I used a very small amount and just patted in till it was not just sitting on top of my skin and worked in well, great product but does require a little extra work which are worth the result

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 1:22:00 AM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a serious love / hate relationship with LM Secret Camo. It really is an amazing concealer IF and only IF you find your correct color match, you learn how to properly apply it AND (this applies to most, but apparently, not all) if it is used only on the face and not as an under eye concealer. It was never intended for use under the eyes although some have reported success with it as a circle concealer. For me, although it obliterates the circles, it's just too dry no matter how much extra moisturizer I use. It is hard & dry to the touch and is tricky to apply. You can NOT just swipe your finger into this product and pat it on. That's not how it was designed to be used. If the right color is chosen (#2 was best for me & I'm an NC25) and it's used correctly w/ the right tools (LM makes a special brush just for use w/ this product), the results are truly amazing. It provides opaque coverage and it looks like skin. It is long lasting and I found that on my dryish skin, I didn't even need to set it w/ powder, although a light, rolling press of LM translucent powder on top does extend it's longevity. The down side is this product requires more effort and time than other concealers. There's a learning curve and you must master the technique to get amazing results and even when the technique is mastered, you can only conceal small areas, one at a time. This is not an issue when spot concealing is your goal but if you're looking to conceal a larger area (such as redness on cheeks), it's going to take more time than traditional concealers. BTW, I learned how to use it by watching tutorials on YouTube and by Goggling it. There's lots of info on it as it's an unusual concealer and many struggle w/ it. All in all, LM Secret Camo is probably worth the extra time and effort because it provides great coverage that is practically undetectable. I. personally, don't have the patience for it on a daily basis plus I can't seem to consistently get it to work well. I recently discovered MUFE Full Coverage (#6 is perfect for me) & although I think it is less opaque than LM Secret Camo, I find that it also provides a very realistic, skin-like finish. MUFE is much more convenient to use and quickly covers my red cheeks so I think my LM Secret Camo may start collecting dust! Still, LM Secret Camo is an excellent product. I am a concealer junkie and this is one of the best concealers that I have found for the face, especially for spot concealing.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2013 4:16:00 AM More reviews by doobs

I bought this a few years ago after seeing it recommended in a beauty bible, but like many if the reviewers on here, couldn't get on with it as I found it far too dry. Have recently returned to the LM counter to repurchase foundation. It was suggested that I actually didn't need foundation - just tinted moisturiser and Concealer. I explained my previous experience so the consultant showed me how to warm it up on my hand first then apply. So I decided to give it another go - and I'm so glad I did!! Yes it is dry but that means it stays on all day!! Just don't use it under your eyes - it's not meant for that. But anything else - it's fantastic!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by ComaGray

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This concealer compact comes in two colors, so that you can customize the best shade for you. I accidentally purchased a shade lighter than needed, but I'm able to mix the colors with a little of my foundation and the color is perfect. This stuff will cover anything! It's very thick and creamy and does not seem to aggravate my acne or cause any others. It is best applied with a concealer brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2013 1:01:00 PM More reviews by shanzaya

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This has a chalky less creamy texture but don't let that fool you it will seriously cover and it doesn't budge after you put it on. Does need to be set under the eyes. The SC-3 has a lovely yellow undertone!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2013 11:11:00 PM More reviews by dentan84

This is my second buy. I had quite bad under-eye dark circles and had used numerous big brands which ended up caking or not lasting till end of the day but LM suits me so well. Really love it's texture. Light and yet good coverage especially you top up with their loose powder. It's perfecto! Why I said is good coverage because my eyes had a tendency to be quite watery at times and the concealer works well even it tears. It does not immediately wear off easily.

What I dislike is the packaging. The cover of the LM where the mirror is, both the little plastic hinges breaks away. So now I'm facing some problem how to put it back together.

Other than packaging all goes well.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 9:57:00 PM More reviews by ana18

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Already on my second one . Doesn't break me up, doesn't wash off. It's wonderful:))

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by xoxsexylv57

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I am very on the fence about this product: there are definitely strong and weak points about it, which is why I only gave it three lippies. I bought this due to Lisa Eldridge mentioning it as one of her favorites.

PROS:
*does a fairly decent job at concealing the more faded acne scars you may have, as it's pretty pigmented
*the compact lasts literally forever...I hit pan on both sides more than 3 months ago and I haven't run out yet. So it's nice to get a lot of product for the price
*generally sticks around all day, as long as you wear a primer underneath (again, I'm not the best judge of this as my skin is quite oily)

CONS:
*I absolutely LOATHE double sided, mix-your-own color compacts. I understand that it's more customizable, but I hate taking the extra step.
*I bought this thinking that the "peachier" side could be used as a replacement for my trusty Bobbi Brown corrector. It can't. The formula does not play well under the eyes.
*you need to use the right brush with this to make it work - fingers, which I generally like to use for foundation/concealers do not work well with this product.

I probably wouldn't repurchase this due to the fact that I feel so "blah" about it. In my opinion, it's not something that's so special that I can't live without it.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/2/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by principessa24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I bought this, I liked the idea that I could use the compact year-round and adjust the shade by mixing the dark and light concealers to get a perfect match for my summer and winter skin tones. This is still a good idea in theory (hence the reason I gave this product two lippies instead of one) but I absolutely loathe the formulation. Regardless of whether I apply it with my fingers, with a concealer brush (including the LM concealer brush), or with a sponge, it somehow manages to slide right off whatever I am actually trying to conceal, whether it's a zit or a dark spot, but still cake up in the areas surrounding the blemish. I'm left with the original blemish still showing, plus a buildup of dry, flaky concealer in the vicinity of the blemish, which of course makes everything look 10 times worse. It's extremely dry and difficult to work with when applied directly out of the compact. I tried warming it up on the side of my hand before applying, thinking this would make it glide on more easily, but this method just causes the warmed-up concealer to slide off the blemish even faster. I like LM's tinted moisturizer and love some of her cream eyeshadows, but this mess of a concealer was a let-down.