MAC Lustre Capricious

4.3

Capricious is a pretty almost true plum shade, but would be soo much better in Satin formula b/c in Lustre it has like no staying power on me for some reason. But if you like a more glossy lippie this may be for you and FYI this lippie goes really well with MAC Half Red lip liner (my HG lipliner of all time :)

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I was given MAC Capricious by my mom who is a huge lipstick collector. My mom has completely different coloring than me (she has very fair skin with pink undertones while I am medium colored with deep yellow undertones), so I put it off to the side where I stash the other lipsticks she's given me thinking it wouldn't suit me. I'm not sure what provoked me to try it, but I tossed it one day into my bag a few months ago and threw it on just before a meeting to make myself a bit more presentable. I'm not usually into sheer plums because my lips are quite pigmented and that color doesn't always show up well or suit my skintone, but this is a lovely, everyday work-appropriate shade that I'll continue to keep in my purse.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Mac products are way pricier in Europe than US, so my American friend picked this lipstick for me when she went back home for Christmas. Now I have been using this lipstick from the last 3 days only, I like it, but I don't really love it. The finish is great, very moisturising. On my NC40 skin the color looks like a lighter shade of plum, I am sure for extra effect I can build it up. But I am sure you can buy a similar lipstick in cheaper brands.

I love this color - in general I don't repeatedly buy any product unless it's totally basic, like mascara, concealer or powder - I love to try new colors! This color, oddly enough, I didn't pick out. I was turning in 6 Mac items for my free lipstick and asked for a color I could put on without a mirror that was good for work. This is what the Mac person immediately grabbed, and I must say, they know their stuff! This is the perfect shade for me - a great, natural berry shade that feels good, lasts pretty well (4ish hours) and doesn't require any special skills (i.e., lip liner, mirror, constant monitoring of lipstick on teeth). I think if there were ANY lipstick shade that I would buy again, it would absolutely be this one.

I resisted buying MAC products for so long... But finally I decided that I needed to buy a proper lipstick for a night out and thought that they'd give the best advice on colours, etc. So after trying a couple of neutral shades, the girl showed me this one and I bought it. The good thing is that it goes on very lightly and apart from the colour, is almost imperceptible on my lips -- none of that creamy/sticky/smelly lipstick business. After a few years of wearing glosses from time to time, I thought it was time for a change. I doubt if I will feel comfortable wearing this during the day, but at least I won't feel like a teenager applying a sparkly Juicy Tubes lipgloss for a night out on the town.

Anyway -- not a very useful review, perhaps, but make this your takeaway: a sheer, pretty colour, not too drying, adds an even layer of non-shiny berry tone.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

My new favorite lipstick from MAC!
This is the first plum colored lipstick I`ve ever bought and I absolutely adore it.
I normally stick to nudes and soft pinks, only when I feel bold do I use fuchsias and reds. I`ve been looking for the perfect fall lipstick that is bold but wearable during the day without looking too overdone and capricious is just that.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I wear this one often. It's slightly darker than my lips, an understated mauve/berry color that looks natural with my complexion (very pale, on the cool side of neutral). The formula is good for everyday wear: moisturizing and not too pigmented, though you can get a darker, more mauve shade with several coats. I took off a lippie because the formula is not long-lasting at all, and I find myself reapplying it throughout the day. Still, I'm willing to put up with that inconvenience for the sake of the beautiful color.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

i normally wears neutrals, berries and reds and was looking to add a pink lipstick to my collection. capricious caught my eye early on in my search, but i tried several others including plumful, lustering, syrup and sweetie. i will likely go back for sweetie. i chose capricious because it is incredibly flattering to my brown skin. it opens my face up. the color is a pink with plum in it on me. it has a subtle kick and doesn't scream "look i'm wearing pink lipstick!" which was my fear. if you're a brown skinned african american woman looking for a pink color,check out capricious. i will definitely repurchase. almost want to stock up!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I agree with the sentiments below, this is the perfect MLBB shade for NARS Tahoe/NC43-45ish ladies such as myself. Capricious has a pink/brown tone which upon application is more like a subtle sheen than the super-shininess of a gloss. This is my go-to shade for if I don't want to wear much makeup/am running out the door and don't have time for a full face.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

This is my go to lipstick if I'm running out the door or finishing my makeup at a red light in the rearview mirror in the car on the way to work... Haha!! It looks almost sheer on my NC45 complexion, but it gives me just a little... I don't know... something extra that just a gloss doesn't. And I love the lustre finish that doesn't need liner or gloss to look okay. I keep this in my purse for on the go, no matter what makeup look I'm wearing color. I'll buy again after I finish this tube.

Recommended for Medium Skin