October 21, 2014 | 1816 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - 5th Avenue

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2011 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

For many, many years I've often caught whiffs of a fragrance on others that I utterly loved. I could never figure out what it was...I knew it reminded me slightly of Estee Lauder Pleasures, which my mother wears a lot, but it was much more natural smelling - like the fragrance on the breeze when you walk by blooming bushes. I can't explain why, but, somehow over the last decade, I've managed to miss out on 5th Avenue! I've seen it everywhere, and obviously I've smelled it hundreds of times, but I never knew the scent I loved was 5th Avenue. (I thought I knew what 5th Avenue smelled like, but just today I realized I must have had it mixed up with Red Door, which I've always liked, but never wore myself because, for years, it seemed like it was being worn by every other person around.) Today, as I was walking out of CVS after dropping off a prescription, I happened upon a new display with an array of fragrances on Sale. There were several 2.5 oz bottles of 5th Avenue, priced at $19.99, and I'm pretty sure this fragrance often costs $50 or $60 at Macy's. TJMaxx has been a bust for me for quite some time, so I've dearly missed finding good deals on fragrances. And CVS - who knew? I couldn't resist buying a bottle of 5th Avenue. When I got in the car, I chewed open the thermo-nuclear insulated packaging, and spritzed. My mood was instantly lifted because of the perfectly beautiful scent. The scent drifted back to my kids, and my 11 year old, said, "Something smells amazing!" He didn't know I sprayed perfume, so he was looking around to see what was outside. 5th Avenue is a lovely, fresh, sparkling floral devoid of sharpness or aggression. The topnotes bring to mind the very topnotes of Estee Lauder vintage White Linen, which I've loved since I was a little girl. 5th Avenue doesn't really smell like White Linen, but the hints from shared topnotes like lilac, linden, jasmine, and peach make me feel like 5th Avenue is a long-hidden part of memory. 5th Avenue smells like an impressionist garden in a hidden courtyard where quartets play gymnopedies in 4 dimensions. This fragrance, and its price, made my week!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2011 7:43:00 PM More reviews by pxcrunnercat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Honestly, I got this perfume because it was so cheap on ebay- I got my 2.5 oz bottle for $12 and I felt like being adventurous. All I can say is that I got super lucky! I love this perfume, especially for spring! I've been looking for floral perfumes for spring that are classy and feminine without being "dated". This one fits the bill perfectly! It's a warm floral scent that is youthful yet sophisticated. I will be wearing it a lot this spring and highly recommend it! The staying power isn't anything special, but as inexpensive as it is I don't mind reapplying throughout the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by allred

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

5th Avenue is so not what it sounds like (powerful businesswoman). I find it to be bright and fresh (muguet and lilac), warm and flowery (magnolia, peach), with a subtle woodsy drydown (cedar, sandalwood). More of a late spring day in the sunshine. Totally feminine.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2011 1:13:00 PM More reviews by justwishin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

CAUTION: MAN MAGNET!
Seriously--it is. I tried this on and thought, "Hm, light floral, pretty, somewhat sophisticated, nothing special." On my way out of the store, I was stopped by a man who asked me what I was wearing (with stars in his eyes). He told me how great it smelled. This had never happened to me before. So later I bought a bottle, thinking it must smell really great on me (plus it's a good every-day subtle fragrance when you just want to spray and go). Well apparently it does smell great--I have always worn fragrance and no other perfume in my life has gotten me so much male attention. And from all age groups. They LOVE it. I get so many compliments, it's unreal. When I've worn it on dates, the guys always try to get closer and smell, like they can't help themselves. (It's pretty funny.) I don't know what's in it, but damn!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2010 1:11:00 PM More reviews by yanti

just discovered this perfume a week ago..
Never thought to try, afraid it will smelt old.
Woahh, love it from the 1st spray, never thought floral can be this crisp. Feminine and clean at same time, not powdery as Bvlgari pour femme.
I prefer this over my Chanel Allure.. If only this last a bit longer, tho I don't mind to respray.. Recommended. it is a bargain at this price.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2010 2:49:00 AM More reviews by DeeDee1957

I picked this up cheapish and really thought it best just to wear to work rather than my good stuff. I find it boring and it lacks complexity. However, strangely, after an eight hour work shift I got into a work mate's car and thought what is that lovely smell? I realised it was Fifth Avenue and it smelt really nice.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/10/2010 2:51:00 PM More reviews by maggiequinn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

5th Avenue is not a very original and somewhat cheap smelling floral fragrance. Lots of different flower notes are thrown in here and it is hard to say which one dominates (maybe none). Overall it smells quite fresh and spring-like. It has a good staying power and sillage. I like the elegant tall bottle, but the fragrance itself elegant is not, in my opinion. Not totally bad, but I won’t repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2010 5:18:00 AM More reviews by OverTheHill

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Eau dear! Eau de Fly Spray! Eau no!

I really wanted to like this. The reviews made it sound like just what I was looking for, a work perfume with a bit of extra je ne sais quoi. On me this wasn't it. The second it hit my skin, all I could think of was fly spray, and it stayed that way. The only good thing was that it wore off after about an hour.

This review is based on sampling the tester. It was in Boots so it shouldn't have been dodgy in any way, as in old or off or fake. Because I so much want to like it, I'm going to try another store and see if the result with their tester is any better. If it is I'll update, otherwise I'm going to have to write it off as one that just doesn't work with my body chemistry.

Update.....tried the tester in Debenhams today. No difference, still fly spray. Oh well.........

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2010 12:07:00 PM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I loooove this scent! I love perfumes but I rarely find one I fall in love with. I usually think I find one I like but after buying it and trying it out I don't really like it. I have about 6 sitting on my bathroom counter that I almost never wear. I feel like so many perfumes are just not me if that makes any sense. I like perfumes that have a good balance of many notes. This 5th Ave fits the bill! I discovered this while aimlessly wandering around waiting for my sister. I loved the scent immediately, it just seemed to grab me which never happens.
I'm not good at describing scents but I'll do my best. I feel like it's a good balance of different notes. It's feminine but not overly so, it seems to have a hint of some type of fresh flowers with a little bit of musk. I wouldn't really say this has a sweet scent at all but that's fine with me because I don't like too much of a sweet perfume. When I think of sweet perfume, I think of cheap tacky perfumes by Paris Hilton. This smells classy but not in an old woman way like Chanel No 5. This smells classy but still young and pretty and it smells really good with my body chemistry. It's sexy but not in a heavy, overpowering, in your face type of way like Dior's Poison or YSL's Opium which I find disgusting. I feel like this just smells like what a woman should smell like.
Plus, I like that this isn't a "fragrance of the moment" that everybody runs out and buys. I use to wear D&G Light Blue but I got really sick of it because EVERYBODY wore it. My friend had it, one of my coworkers had it, so did my best friend's mom. This is a fragrance that not a lot of people wear because they've never heard of it but it has universal appeal.
This is pricey but not as bad as some, bought the 2.5 oz for $46 at Macys but wanted to kick myself when I saw that a reviewer said you can get this at TJ Maxx for $20. Well now I know where to go after my bottle runs out. Basically, I love this, I can't stop smelling myself and I will continue to buy.

Just for anyone that's interested in a more professional description of the scent, here is what it says on the Macy's website:
"An elegant bouquet of lilac, linden blossom, dewy magnolia and muquet is interwoven with exotic mandarin and bergamot for an expression of pure, sparkling sophistication."

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2010 2:56:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

5th Avenue is a pleasant surprise. Not just another generic fruity floral. This scent has wonderful green notes which give it immediate depth that other scents lack these days. 5th Ave smells classy and classic.
I love the drydown on this. Florals and greens meld with Tibetan musk and sandalwood, mysterious but not overwhelmingly so. Thus; this remains appropriate for day wear but interesting enough for evening wear. Quite accomplished for a fairly inexpensive scent.
I highly recommend this scent for ladies of almost any age for almost any occasion.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No