August 1, 2014 | 1696 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - 5th Avenue

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by allred

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

5th Avenue is so not what it sounds like (powerful businesswoman). I find it to be bright and fresh (muguet and lilac), warm and flowery (magnolia, peach), with a subtle woodsy drydown (cedar, sandalwood). More of a late spring day in the sunshine. Totally feminine.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2011 1:13:00 PM More reviews by justwishin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

CAUTION: MAN MAGNET!
Seriously--it is. I tried this on and thought, "Hm, light floral, pretty, somewhat sophisticated, nothing special." On my way out of the store, I was stopped by a man who asked me what I was wearing (with stars in his eyes). He told me how great it smelled. This had never happened to me before. So later I bought a bottle, thinking it must smell really great on me (plus it's a good every-day subtle fragrance when you just want to spray and go). Well apparently it does smell great--I have always worn fragrance and no other perfume in my life has gotten me so much male attention. And from all age groups. They LOVE it. I get so many compliments, it's unreal. When I've worn it on dates, the guys always try to get closer and smell, like they can't help themselves. (It's pretty funny.) I don't know what's in it, but damn!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2010 1:11:00 PM More reviews by yanti

just discovered this perfume a week ago..
Never thought to try, afraid it will smelt old.
Woahh, love it from the 1st spray, never thought floral can be this crisp. Feminine and clean at same time, not powdery as Bvlgari pour femme.
I prefer this over my Chanel Allure.. If only this last a bit longer, tho I don't mind to respray.. Recommended. it is a bargain at this price.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2010 2:49:00 AM More reviews by DeeDee1957

I picked this up cheapish and really thought it best just to wear to work rather than my good stuff. I find it boring and it lacks complexity. However, strangely, after an eight hour work shift I got into a work mate's car and thought what is that lovely smell? I realised it was Fifth Avenue and it smelt really nice.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/10/2010 2:51:00 PM More reviews by maggiequinn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

5th Avenue is not a very original and somewhat cheap smelling floral fragrance. Lots of different flower notes are thrown in here and it is hard to say which one dominates (maybe none). Overall it smells quite fresh and spring-like. It has a good staying power and sillage. I like the elegant tall bottle, but the fragrance itself elegant is not, in my opinion. Not totally bad, but I won’t repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2010 5:18:00 AM More reviews by OverTheHill

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Eau dear! Eau de Fly Spray! Eau no!

I really wanted to like this. The reviews made it sound like just what I was looking for, a work perfume with a bit of extra je ne sais quoi. On me this wasn't it. The second it hit my skin, all I could think of was fly spray, and it stayed that way. The only good thing was that it wore off after about an hour.

This review is based on sampling the tester. It was in Boots so it shouldn't have been dodgy in any way, as in old or off or fake. Because I so much want to like it, I'm going to try another store and see if the result with their tester is any better. If it is I'll update, otherwise I'm going to have to write it off as one that just doesn't work with my body chemistry.

Update.....tried the tester in Debenhams today. No difference, still fly spray. Oh well.........

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2010 12:07:00 PM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I loooove this scent! I love perfumes but I rarely find one I fall in love with. I usually think I find one I like but after buying it and trying it out I don't really like it. I have about 6 sitting on my bathroom counter that I almost never wear. I feel like so many perfumes are just not me if that makes any sense. I like perfumes that have a good balance of many notes. This 5th Ave fits the bill! I discovered this while aimlessly wandering around waiting for my sister. I loved the scent immediately, it just seemed to grab me which never happens.
I'm not good at describing scents but I'll do my best. I feel like it's a good balance of different notes. It's feminine but not overly so, it seems to have a hint of some type of fresh flowers with a little bit of musk. I wouldn't really say this has a sweet scent at all but that's fine with me because I don't like too much of a sweet perfume. When I think of sweet perfume, I think of cheap tacky perfumes by Paris Hilton. This smells classy but not in an old woman way like Chanel No 5. This smells classy but still young and pretty and it smells really good with my body chemistry. It's sexy but not in a heavy, overpowering, in your face type of way like Dior's Poison or YSL's Opium which I find disgusting. I feel like this just smells like what a woman should smell like.
Plus, I like that this isn't a "fragrance of the moment" that everybody runs out and buys. I use to wear D&G Light Blue but I got really sick of it because EVERYBODY wore it. My friend had it, one of my coworkers had it, so did my best friend's mom. This is a fragrance that not a lot of people wear because they've never heard of it but it has universal appeal.
This is pricey but not as bad as some, bought the 2.5 oz for $46 at Macys but wanted to kick myself when I saw that a reviewer said you can get this at TJ Maxx for $20. Well now I know where to go after my bottle runs out. Basically, I love this, I can't stop smelling myself and I will continue to buy.

Just for anyone that's interested in a more professional description of the scent, here is what it says on the Macy's website:
"An elegant bouquet of lilac, linden blossom, dewy magnolia and muquet is interwoven with exotic mandarin and bergamot for an expression of pure, sparkling sophistication."

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2010 2:56:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

5th Avenue is a pleasant surprise. Not just another generic fruity floral. This scent has wonderful green notes which give it immediate depth that other scents lack these days. 5th Ave smells classy and classic.
I love the drydown on this. Florals and greens meld with Tibetan musk and sandalwood, mysterious but not overwhelmingly so. Thus; this remains appropriate for day wear but interesting enough for evening wear. Quite accomplished for a fairly inexpensive scent.
I highly recommend this scent for ladies of almost any age for almost any occasion.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 5:48:00 PM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

Price- this perfume is expensive, as every high-end fragrance ought to be.

Packaging- the unmistakable golden skyscraper with the square frosted glass cap. amazingly simple, amazingly classy, will definitely look amazing on every vanity because of the perfect combo-the golden liquid inside combines perfectly with the simplicity of the design. i honestly think this is the most beautiful, elegant and functional perfume flacon. i've used a ton of perfumes so far but none impressed me in terms of design like this one did.
i also like the fact that the bottle is not embossed (though i don't know if it wouldn't actually look even better) but displays a little 'label' with the 5th avenue name on it...in red letters. very elegant.

the scent- now ladies. time to have a little talk.
i'm not a professional, not at all. i don't own half of what other fashionistas/makeup girls own because i am on a student budget and can't afford it. but if there's anything i can honestly say, it would be that i DO know scents. i go shopping every day, even if it's just for fun, window shopping you know, and i always sniff and sniff and sniff perfumes...been doing this since the sixth grade. i couldn't always afford buying what i liked, as i said, but i got ' the knowledge', so to speak.

nothing infuriates and pleases me more than reading the comments that have been written here for this fragrance. it pleases me because well...we all like our scents to be unique and if not so many girls will wear this perfume, then it means i'm going to be the only one having it. in my circle of friends and colleagues nobody has even heard of it, so thumbs up for me.

now for the 'anger' part (lol!)- girls...this perfume is NOT generic. Dolce & Gabbana IS, Dior IS, Chanel IS, anything else is, but this one. how many scents can you compare this with?? i'll honestly tell you, none. i have never encountered another fragrance that can be compared with this one, ever. it is unique, elegant and impressive.

i can't stand when everybody gets the same perfume just because someone else is using it. that's just silly. this perfume, as i mentioned, is something that will grant you uniqueness and have people ask you what you're wearing.

the scent...i can describe it as a mixture of ice cold water, warm honey and a field of flowers....spring and summer flowers, freesias, lilies, orchids, a couple of roses...it is not sweet, it is not fresh, it's both. this is the only perfume i cannot categorize in a sweet or fresh group as it can be both. many reviewers observed it's 'versatile'- exactly because it can be worn at any occasion, with any outfit, any moment of the day or night.

my male friends LOVE it and my ex used to ask me to buy it every time i'd mention i wanted to get a new fragrance! ALL of my male friends say it's special and one of a kind.

the scent is warm and gives me the impression of 'woman'. Not the Paris Hilton woman kind of thing you get with D&G's The One for example, of Miss Dior Cherie (EVERYBODY has it, every bimbo with silicone and extensions, because they've heard it's 'hot'). Not the puckered up old British lady woman you get with Chanel no.5 or Chance (that perfume is ROUGH, smells like wood, would work great on an old lady who smokes, the harsh lines work great with the acidity of tobacco).
5th avenue is Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly with a hint of Marylin Monroe. It's chic, first of all, elegant, timeless, classy, not overbearing at all yet it does appear as a signature...everybody asks me what i'm wearing and they all love it.

It is a feminine fragrance that was created to work with the heat of your body. this is the only perfume i've been constantly repurchasing since i was in highschool and have gone through MANY bottles so far.
it's not something of a statement. it's not a 'specific', particular fragrance you'd wear only once or twice and then forget about it because it was nothing more than a 'cool' and interesting fragrance.
this fragrance is like a diamond- forever.

10 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by areejs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like others have already pointed out, the scent is quite generic and doesn't stand out, that's the only reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5. However, that doesn't mean it doesn't smell good! It smells wonderful! Younger women will be attracted to its sweet floral scent, while older women will like its subtle elegance. The fact that this perfume can suit women of all ages, is perhaps one of it's best qualities, however, at the same time, this is what makes the perfume smell generic as well