April 17, 2014 | 1755 users online

Shampoo - The Body Shop - Banana Nourishing Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaMarieT

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Originally, I said I wouldn't give this 5 lippies because I believed this shampoo not to be clarifying enough, but after a few more washes, I realized it actually was. It does a good job at getting rid of gunk left from silicone products and dry flakes on my scalp. It gives light moisture to hair, refreshing it and keeping it from becoming scratchy and rough. However, it still can be a bit drying, so don't skimp out on the conditioner. Also, like the conditioner, this smells more like pina colada and coconut than banana.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by egagne87

I love the smell of this shampoo. It makes my hair feel really dry after I used it before I use the banana conditioner. After I condition it however it feels absolutely amazing.

I've bought it many times and still works awesome. Super good price

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by rnancy

I actually don't know if I would buy this again or not. The banana scent is a little overwhelming, but I like bananas, so that isn't so awful. However, after a few days I feel like using something else. I guess you could call it a nice "weekend shampoo" that is light but effective.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2011 2:01:00 AM More reviews by Natisawesome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I share a hate-love relationship with this product. Firstly the smell, it has a very thick smell which will take some time to sink in and get used to. Not light and refreshing but thick and nice. The good thing is that it does not last so long, as in the smell is not overpowering after some time which is perfect because I definitely do not want to be smelling it the whole day.

Pros:
1) The packaging, there is something about the packaging that I like a lot. It is transparent thus, I am able to view how much product is left and when I am going to run out. Other than that, it's a bias rating which I cannot explain.

2) It cleans really well. They weren't kidding when they said it cleans well. Every time I use this shampoo, I feel squeaky clean.

3) It is very moisturizing for your scalp. I have itchy scalp and even though it does not address that issue, it helps soothe a little.

Cons:
1) It is not cheap compared to drugstore shampoos which is not an attractive. A drugstore shampoo can provide the exact same results for much lesser money and more product.

2) It is very drying. Do take note that I am reviewing on the shampoo itself not the conditioner. The shampoo alone is very drying and my boyfriend who used it felt the same way too. Once I wash off the shampoo to put conditioner my hair feels like straw, it is a awful feeling. It is not ideal to use this on a everyday basis. For me, I think of it is a one a week hair treatment.

3) It does not give that shine many reviewers claim it gave.

I will not buy this shampoo again because I can guarantee any drugstore shampoo can provide the same moisturizing effect this shampoo can give for a cheaper price. It's nothing fabulous.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2011 11:32:00 AM More reviews by loveandkiwi

I absolutely adore this shampoo! I've gone through 2 bottles of it already and will be going back very soon to pick some more up. This shampoo cleans my hair like no other and gives it such a nice sheen! I think this shampoo is actually best paired with the Banana conditioner. I find that they compliment each other so well, almost like if I use and not the other... my hair is missing something=P The main thing I love about this shampoo is the amount of shine it gives to my hair without weighing it down. My new HG shampoo=D!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2011 7:16:00 PM More reviews by iuhooch625

I really like this shampoo. My hair was noticibly shinier after using, which is what it claims it will do. Didn't dry my hair out at all. Lathers well and smells delicious, a nice pick-me-up in the shower.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2011 4:28:00 AM More reviews by swethatelkar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is the best shampoo ever !! Its smells so good and leaves my hair super soft and shiny. It should be used in conjunction with the conditioner for the best result. I have been using this shampoo for more than 2 yrs. I have recommended this to so many of my friends and they love it too !! Wonderful product !!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2011 12:34:00 AM More reviews by magica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this shampoo on The body shop semi annual sale is a
very AVERAGE shampoo kind expensive for small bottle I finished all the BOTTLE is alright but Not going repurchasing again is smell like bananas But other than that is pretty average I think you can find better shampoo for same price and Bigger bottle.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/31/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by leeleeisfine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Possibly the worst shampoo I've ever tried. One wash and my color was stripped and my fine, wavy hair was like straw. Returned with a promise to myself to stay away from the Body Shop products. They really are terrible now.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2011 8:26:00 AM More reviews by ArretezCharlotte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think the crux of this shampoo is that the 'nourishing' in its name (of which I was admittedly unaware until finding the product on the database to review) is a serious stretch. Almost an economy of truth, in fact. One of the first ingredients on the list is sodium laureth sulfate, which is certainly less widely irritating than its harsher (but considerably less toxic) cousin sodium lauryl sulfate... but it's still irritating. It's a detergent, after all. And for those of us with parched, dermatitis-prone, uber-sensitive scalps, that really isn't something you want in your shampoo.

Pros are that the smell is pleasant, the price is low, availability is good, and the matching silicone-free conditioner is nice (is that last one really a pro if it relates to a different item? I'm being very generous here!). Cons are that, far from being nourishing (nourishing my Aunt Fanny) it's drying as hell, hugely exacerbates itchiness and flaking of the scalp, and fades hair tint. If your shampoo fades your dye, you know it's too vigorous to maintain a healthy scalp.

Don't get me wrong, this stuff is liveable-with. If I found myself - as I so frequently do - in the bathroom, with every bottle of superior shampoo empty and only this one with a usable amount left, I would use it without shedding a tear. It doesn't leave me with raging, weeping sores, it just makes my scalp drier than the Atacama desert... so, of course, my hair follows suit. I have curly hair, but when I fry my hair and scalp with SLS washes, the curls tend to flatten out into a strange, dry, puffy/formless wave. It's why I lean towards conditioner only washing, but realistically this always results in build-up, and a wash with a gentle but effective SLS-free shampoo every 2 or 3 washes is sensible. By definition, The Body Shop's Banana Shampoo is not a good candidate. It's just your average hair detergent, superior to the likes of Pantene only in its lack of gross chemical pong and the appealing-but-probably-fundamentally-pointless inclusion of mashed up banana.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No