The Body Shop Banana Nourishing Shampoo

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Musa Paradisica (Banana) Fruit (Emollient/Lubricant), Glyceryl Hydroxystearate (Emollient), Lauramide DEA (Surfactant), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Surfactant), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Panthenol (Skin/Hair Conditioning Agent), Polyquaternium-7 (Hair Conditioner), Stearic Acid (Emulsifier), Sodium Chloride (Viscosity Modifier), Methylparaben (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Butylparaben (Preservative), Ethylparaben (Preservative), Isobutylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Ascorbic Acid (Antioxidant), Yellow 5 (Colour), Red 4 (Colour) [January 19, 2010]

on 3/21/2012 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So at first I was like hmmm..its okay. BUT over time I ended up really liking it and I recently ran out so I am going to buy more! I also use this with the conditioner. This shampoo thoroughly cleans your hair and paired with the conditioner, makes it soft and shiny. It isn't the best as far as performance goes, but I was looking for a protein free, cone free shampoo and this is it. Although it does have Polyquaternium-7 (can turn into formaldehyde) and parabens but overall it does a good job.

on 3/18/2012 6:31:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I am so thrilled that The Body Shop reintroduced their Banana Shampoo.....it was a favorite of mine in the 1990s and I was shocked when they discontinued it in favor of a new line of shampoos (which are all gone now, of course). I guess they realized their mistake and made the wise decision of bringing it back (I mean seriously, aside from the Banana shampoo & conditioner, a couple of body washes and their White Musk, The Body Shop would have no raison d'etre!) I love the gentleness of this shampoo on my thick, curly hair, the rich conditioning qualities of the formula (with real banana as the 3rd ingredient!) and of course I LOVE the natural banana scent (no banana tafffy here!) I will continue to purchase this shampoo as long as they decide to make it! :-)
PS- I also recommend the companion banana conditioner, which has been reformulated and greatly improved!

on 2/21/2012 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Im writing this review as a shampoo and conditioner combine. I have used it this past week, and seriously, so far my hair has been looking and feeling really nice. I know people had some complaints that when used alone its drying, and i cant really comment on that because I use a little conditioner every day, but so far I'm really feeling this stuff.

on 2/19/2012 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

My scalp and hair can get dry if I don't use the right product. From the looks of it, the product in the bottle looks really creamy, which I do love for s&c's. Once I rinse off the shampoo from the my hair, it feels more like a clarifying shampoo. My hair feels squeaky clean. Some people embrace the effect, but I was looking for something more moisturizing. To the Body's Shop's credit, the bottle does state "For All Hair Types," so I should have bought something specifically for dry hair. I just couldn't resist the banana scent though, as there really aren't many banana scented products out there in the market.

I really like the shampoo and conditioner. I saw a fellow reviewer talk about how the shampoo makes your hair dry - totally does - you definitely need a conditioner with this shampoo. You don't get a lot of product, but the price is usually right. A lot of the times they have buy 1 get 1 half off or buy 2 get 1 free, which is great! The shampoo hardly lathers though, so if you like lather, I wouldn't recommend this. The conditioner works well (like most conditioners) if you only work it through the ends of your hair, otherwise it can weigh your hair down. Overall, a nice product. Smells EXACTLY like banana popsicle...but once you wash it out you're left with a very subtle scent. Nobody will comment saying your hair smells like bananas :)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Originally, I said I wouldn't give this 5 lippies because I believed this shampoo not to be clarifying enough, but after a few more washes, I realized it actually was. It does a good job at getting rid of gunk left from silicone products and dry flakes on my scalp. It gives light moisture to hair, refreshing it and keeping it from becoming scratchy and rough. However, it still can be a bit drying, so don't skimp out on the conditioner. Also, like the conditioner, this smells more like pina colada and coconut than banana.

on 1/9/2012 9:42:00 PM

I love the smell of this shampoo. It makes my hair feel really dry after I used it before I use the banana conditioner. After I condition it however it feels absolutely amazing.

I've bought it many times and still works awesome. Super good price

on 12/7/2011 10:53:00 PM

I actually don't know if I would buy this again or not. The banana scent is a little overwhelming, but I like bananas, so that isn't so awful. However, after a few days I feel like using something else. I guess you could call it a nice "weekend shampoo" that is light but effective.

on 11/24/2011 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

I share a hate-love relationship with this product. Firstly the smell, it has a very thick smell which will take some time to sink in and get used to. Not light and refreshing but thick and nice. The good thing is that it does not last so long, as in the smell is not overpowering after some time which is perfect because I definitely do not want to be smelling it the whole day.

Pros:
1) The packaging, there is something about the packaging that I like a lot. It is transparent thus, I am able to view how much product is left and when I am going to run out. Other than that, it's a bias rating which I cannot explain.

2) It cleans really well. They weren't kidding when they said it cleans well. Every time I use this shampoo, I feel squeaky clean.

3) It is very moisturizing for your scalp. I have itchy scalp and even though it does not address that issue, it helps soothe a little.

Cons:
1) It is not cheap compared to drugstore shampoos which is not an attractive. A drugstore shampoo can provide the exact same results for much lesser money and more product.

2) It is very drying. Do take note that I am reviewing on the shampoo itself not the conditioner. The shampoo alone is very drying and my boyfriend who used it felt the same way too. Once I wash off the shampoo to put conditioner my hair feels like straw, it is a awful feeling. It is not ideal to use this on a everyday basis. For me, I think of it is a one a week hair treatment.

3) It does not give that shine many reviewers claim it gave.

I will not buy this shampoo again because I can guarantee any drugstore shampoo can provide the same moisturizing effect this shampoo can give for a cheaper price. It's nothing fabulous.

on 9/3/2011 11:32:00 AM

I absolutely adore this shampoo! I've gone through 2 bottles of it already and will be going back very soon to pick some more up. This shampoo cleans my hair like no other and gives it such a nice sheen! I think this shampoo is actually best paired with the Banana conditioner. I find that they compliment each other so well, almost like if I use and not the other... my hair is missing something=P The main thing I love about this shampoo is the amount of shine it gives to my hair without weighing it down. My new HG shampoo=D!

Top Rated The Body Shop Products