July 31, 2014 | 1730 users online

Hair Treatments - Redken - Smooth Down Butter Treat [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 on 12/31/2010 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Eurolee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I have heard so many people recommended this, but I'm sad to say, it didn't work for me. I have tried leaving it in for 5 minutes, 30 minutes, etc., as well as on wet, dry, and damp hair. Yesterday I left in on for 12 hours while sleeping and stuff. My hair felt so soft while rinsing it out, but as it dried, it turned back into it's usual poofy, frizzy, messy, curly state. It didn't even feel softer once dried. It made no difference for me, at all. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2010 11:47:00 PM More reviews by pearl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love this stuff! I've been using it as a leave-in treatment on my over-colored, dry, frizzy, bsl-length hair. It makes my hair look and feel like it's healthy again. I had tried it years ago and didn't care for it. This time I've been over-using it: a quarter sized amount on the left side of my hair, quarter size on the right, and quarter size on the back part. Works like a dream, go figure!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2010 6:34:00 PM More reviews by rocketinthesky

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Works about as well as Heavy Cream, although my hair is dry, it isn't coarse, so this would be more suited for all you dry/coarse haired ladies and gentlemen out there.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2010 10:51:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Very good for damaged hair.

CONS: May be too heavy for fine hair.

ALTERNATES: For more moisture but not weighing your hair down as much, try Nature's Therapy "Mega Moisture" or "Mega Strength" Hair Treatment by L'Oreal (as moisturizing as this but better for fine hair.).

APPLICATION TIPS: Towel dry hair before applying for even deeper moisturization.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2010 2:14:00 PM More reviews by Cinnabuns

I must say that I did not have high hopes for this product when the companion shampoo was just average for me, but this treatment is great. It spread through my hair like...well... like butter. I could practically feel it penetrating the hair shaft while I massaged it in. After rinsing, my hair was silky smooth and detangled. Mainly I condition for an entire day or overnight. I recently began using it as a deep conditioner, and it's still remarkable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2010 3:01:00 AM More reviews by peunwha

moisturizing pretty well. little bit feels like greasy on my scalp.
    overall good product

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2010 2:05:00 AM More reviews by lesleighhhh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow. This product is ridiculously amazing. It's a treatment I'm guessing for once a week but I use it every time I wash my hair. In the shower, I shampoo with Redken Color shampoo, then grab my towel and squeeze the water out of my hair, then apply a blob to my hair, root to tip. I leave it on as long as I can preoccupy myself with other bathroom things like brushing my teeth or doing my Olay microdermabrasion. Then I rinse for a minute or two, and it's hard to rinse this stuff out without feeling like there is grease in your hair, but even if you leave in a little it won't weigh it down. and I have FINE, limp hair. Somehow this stuff even gives me volume.

This stuff makes my hair SO smooth. And I definitely need it. I color my hair and use heat tools on it, so this helps. Every time I use this stuff, my hair feels like baby hair. Even softer. And it cuts down my styling time. Everything is so much easier. A couple years ago I got into a car accident and they had to make an incision at the crown of my head to pull down my face to operate on my skull, and it left me with a headband scar that goes ear to ear, and all the hair along that scar is SUPER frizzy and embarassing, but when I use this conditioner the texture goes back to perfectly normal.

I recommend this to ANYone. Sure it's pricey but it's SO worth it. I'm in love with it. You can even put some on dry hair and use it as a styling product! The name doesn't lie. It truly makes your hair like butter. PLEASE buy this and use it as often as you can. I'll use my regular Redken color conditioner when I dont have time for Butter Treat, but when I do have time it's so nice. PLEASEEEE buy this. My mom loves it too. She has really thin hair like me too, and she is under a lot of stress daily, so her hair is dry, but when she uses this it's amazing. And don't even get me started on the shine it gives! WOW

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2010 2:21:00 PM More reviews by princess_eab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Finally, I've found a really great conditioner with real results. It seems like every single drugstore conditioner I used to rely on has changed its formula or been discontinued! I've been trying to find something, anything, that would make my hair silky, soft and smooth after it's dry. I have medium-thick textured straight hair, and a lot of it - I can't use most barrettes or hair clips because they are either too small or break in my hair. The underlayers can get quite frizzy and unruly if the conditioner I use isn't strong enough. I've tried Heavy Cream before and it just wasn't enough to tame my hair. I used to rely on Pantene Ice Shine, but they've discontinued it. Dove used to make a great moisturizing conditioner, but they've changed their formulas and they no longer work for me. Likewise with Herbal Essences - they took all the silicones out of their conditioners, which might be fine for people who need volume, but I need silicones to get a comb through my hair! A tube of this is right at the top limit of what I want to pay for conditioner, but considering the results, it's worth every penny. I still had to use over a quarter-size amount on my mid-back length hair - it's not as thick as I thought it would be from the reviews. I left it on for about 5 minutes in the shower and the results after my hair dried are phenomenal - it's soft, silky, smooth, and any frizz has disappeared! I haven't seen my hair look this nice in a couple of years. I'm sticking with this stuff as long as they keep making it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2010 3:28:00 AM More reviews by jedmo

Girls!! This is one of the most under-rated treatments out there and I can't for the life of me figure out why!! Everyone always raves about kerastase masquintense or redken allsoft heavy cream - this one always seems to sit on the back burner because it's marketed as a product for frizzy hair whereas people want to see the words 'dry' or 'damaged.' If you read it carefully you'll see that this is actually a product for DRY and frizzy hair - most people with dry hair will have problems with frizz because it becomes unruly. You think that this isn't the right one for you at first but it truly is!
    I've tried all the big name products out there and I have to say that this is probably the pick of the bunch. Redken allsoft heavy cream is also pretty great, but if you have thin hair it will weigh you down and become too much - smooth down butter treat is going to go SO MUCH FURTHER for your hair because of this simple fact. No product buildup, and it DOES leave your hair soft and silky and rehydrated. It's not as expensive as kerastase or l'oreal and yet it works just as well. For the price, save a few dollars and buy this one instead :)

You don't need to lather it on either - just put a bit on and let your hair soak up the goodness and it gives you silky smooth and soft hair! I finish up with a bit of redken anti snap and it really keeps my hair in check. Girls - if you're on a budget or you need something new PLEASE - try this one and surprise yourself! It is worth every penny!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by persephonbrea

For smoothing and detangling, this product really delivers! Using the treatment once a week makes a huge difference in my hairs managiability.