Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

4.2

on 1/15/2014 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is the finest powder I have ever felt. It's amazing. Now I know why my under eye area was looking a little too powdery - because I wasn't using this.
It is a fine fine fine translucent powder, which has a slight shimmer. Sets your concealer and brightens your eye area.
There's not much else to say about this powder, it's just great!

on 1/4/2014 1:59:00 AM

I love this powder! It makes my under eyes look so air brushed and flawless but not cakey AT ALL! I absolutely love this! So so good!!! But the only thing is the price but I feel like it would last quite a long time and its defiantly worth it! Loving it right now!!!!!

on 12/11/2013 8:48:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this powder for setting my undereye concealer. It is subtly brightening, despite the not-so-subtle shimmer you see in the pot. I don't find that the shimmer is visible on my face. Even in bright sunlight. It might be more noticeable if you used it over a larger area, but under my eyes it's fine. This does a great job of keeping my concealer from creasing while also not making my undereyes look overly powdery. It emphasizes my fine lines the least out of any powder I've tried. I've never found a powder that doesn't emphasize them at all, but it's still better than the alternative of creasy concealer. I like to press this (gently!) into my concealer with either a sponge or a flat brush, then brush off any excess with a clean fluffy eyeshadow brush. The result leaves me looking wide awake, even when I'm far from it.

on 12/6/2013 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say this is a great product if you are under 40. I've used this for years. Always thought I liked it. Helped cover my dark circles and set my under eye makeup. But after a few hours I always think when I look in the mirror that my eyes look more dry, wrinkly and crinkly. So I thought I would try not using this anymore and just use a setting spray. Oh My God!! What a difference! I look like I don't even have under eye wrinkles anymore. It emphasizes wrinkles at any age. I know make artist say to put powder under your eyes to set the makeup, but it's a huge mistake. I look 10 years younger since I stopped using this product. Maybe if you are in your 20's this would be good, but otherwise be careful, if you want to look to look younger. Setting sprays are the best!!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

As a huge fan of the Laura Mercier mineral range I thought I'd love this as much as everyone else, but it doesn't do all that much for me. I use it to set my undereye concealer as the MUA recommended, but the finish isn't amazing at all. I love highlighters, but not glitter and I really notice the particles in this. Its a shame, I really wanted to love this after reading so many great reviews.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Normally I stay away from loose powders because I am not a fan of cakey, matte skin. But having moved recently to a hot and humid climate I needed to add one to keep my foundation from sliding off.

Reference point: MAC NC 30-35, NARS Barcelona, Armani #7, tan and normal (occasionally slightly dry) skin. - I use the #2 powder.

I use this after my primer, foundation and concealer have been applied. I take my loose powder brush, something big and fluffy (NARS #1 or the Botan Kabuki) and dust a bit of the loose powder on my forehead, nose, and chin (areas that get shiny for me). Depending on what I'm doing that day, I may dust it all over my face. It does make my foundation last longer and I avoid the oily oxidizing t zone areas. However, while this is a luminous product I still have to use a light hand because it can get a like cakey looking. Honestly though, the difference between the days I skip the powder and the days I use it is pretty small. It's not a miracle face powder.

It's also AMAZING for setting under eye concealer! That's where this powder really shines for me. I love a bright under eye area. A heavy coverage concealer, while effectively covering circles tends to leave my under eye area looking cakey and matte. I use a concealer, a dab of YSL Touché Éclat for luminosity and brightening, then set it for longevity using a fluffy eyeshadow brush with the Laura Mercier powder. Ta Da! Beautiful, natural, bright under eyes. And the effect lasts all day.

In terms of packaging, loose powder has always been messy for me. It's not a purse friendly product.

Overall, I see this lasting a long time, and I may repurchase (although I want to try the NARS loose powder). I love this for setting my under eye concealer and like it for the rest of my face.

on 9/29/2013 4:29:00 AM

This stuff is magic. I have large, dark hereditary bags under my eyes but as I sweep this powder on, I watch the bags disappear before my eyes. I use it on a big brush under my eyes all the way down to the top of my cheeks. It blends in the dark and discolored part of my eyes making my skin look smoother. The subtle shimmer isn't too glittery and really brightens up my whole face. Normally, I find that powders look cakey on me but this powder is so light and fine that I don't even feel it on. The powder lasts forever, but when I run out I'll be buying this again and again.

on 8/23/2013 2:02:00 AM

Love love love! So fine, a little goes a long way. I use it to set my undereye concealer. Won't be purchasing anything else!

on 8/4/2013 1:41:00 PM

I have this in number 2. It is meant for the under eyes... but I actually use it all over my face as a setting powder. Since the powder is very finely milled I don't look like a disco ball after (I've checked my face in sunlight). IMO, you don't need another setting powder if you have this product especially if you have dry skin. The packaging sucks. There is a sifter - but the container can get very messy; it is not travel friendly at all... since there are so many (less expensive) setting powders out there, I don't believe this is a necessary purchase.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I frickin love this product! This is my new powder to set my under eyes with! It doesn't leave a white cast and doesn't crease or settle into fine lines. I apply this with either a damp beauty blender or a fluffy brush, like a mac 224. Definitely would repurchase!

Edit (9/24/13):
I use this over Mac's pro longwear concealer. I apply with a real techniques setting brush. No matter what foundation shade I'm in, this goes perfectly with whatever color I am. Definitely would still repurchase!!

1/30/15: I finally finished the pot!! Bought second one already. This is my HG setting powder for under eye concealer.