July 25, 2014 | 1946 users online

Eye Shadow - Smashbox - Eyeshadow

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2009 3:06:00 PM More reviews by muaviewer

I have bought a couple of Smashbox's glam box sets from Sephora. One set I got came with two trio eyeshadows (so six eyeshadows in the set). One of the trios was called "pretty eyes" and the other was "smokey eye". I was terribly disappointed in the quality of the eyeshadow. I wear eyeshadow daily and pretty much only buy Urban Decay eyeshadows and now I know why. The smashbox shadows are soooo chalky. On top of that the colour is very sheer. The pinks, shimmery beige, and light bronze colour all look like a chalky beige colour when applied. The darker colours (a grey, darker purple, brown) all look like a dirty grey colour which is very difficult to blend. I'm not sure if the eyeshadows in the value sets are just poorer in quality to the individual eyeshadows you would buy but if it is, I certainly would not buy Smashbox eyeshadows.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2009 3:24:00 AM More reviews by MissDizzle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

i really like the colours that they come in (especially the trios like beam) but i think that even if I prime my eyes (with the smashbox eyeshadow primer) it doesnt take very long for the eyeshadow to crease. disappointed.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/20/2008 5:37:00 PM More reviews by manny1996

I LOVE the colors in my Beam eyelights trio, but everything is in my crease before lunch. I'm not giving up though because the colors are so perfect. I'm going add base to my am routine.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2008 10:06:00 PM More reviews by valleychic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have two Smashbox eye shadow singles in Vibe and Taupe Two. Vibe is a shimmery peachy champagne color. Taupe Twos is a shimmery dark plum brown. I love these two shades because thye are very versatile. They work great to create a natural look for a daytime/work look but you can also create a lovely smokey look for evening with these two shades. Vibe also looks great as a simple wash of color all over the lid. Smashbox makes great eye shadows. They go on smoothly and are not chalky/powdery. The color payoff is excellent. I will absolutely continue purchase Smashbox shadows.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2008 7:22:00 AM More reviews by h2okolor

I have the single shadows in CINNAMON TOAST and BRAZILIAN BRONZE. The formula is smooth and creaseless. The colors are both one-size-fits-all type colors you can use for everything and anytime -- dress it up, dress it down... The shadows are in round containers with a screw-on lid. I'm a big fan of the MAC hinged lids so these are somewhat of a pain in the *** and that's the reason for less lippies. Neither of these are matte shadows, both subtlely dramatic and very versatile.
Months later: I've changed my lippies on these -- increased them -- these are terrific eye shadows. Smooth, long-lasting, beautiful colors. Mac & Bobbi Brown are pretty darn good, Shu Uemura much too fine (takes MANY layers to get color), Lancome okay, but these Smashbox shadows are fantastic. My daughter has a couple Smashbox shadows that she loves too. I have a feeling if you find colors that work for you, you'll be hooked !

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2008 2:20:00 PM More reviews by katield

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm not impressed with the quality of these shadows. I've had two of them - which I kept my make-up drawer - break on me which is unacceptable in a prestige brand. They seems a little too cakey for me and sometimes not too intense. Just not worth the money for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2008 5:22:00 AM More reviews by blondejunkie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wish they made this in a flip top lid. But nonetheless, this eyeshadow glides on, blends well, has great pigment. I love this shadow since they have reformulated it! I always use a shadow base because I have oily lids, but I love these shadows!!! I love the zoom, serpent, safari and torch (well the other shades too).

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2008 6:31:00 PM More reviews by OneOriginalGal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The first Smashbox shadows I ever purchased was the Panorama trio which is comprised of white, smokey purple undertoned taupe, and eggplant purple. I ADORE that these colours are matte, and I ADORE how blendable they are. It's one of the only times I've ever purchased a set and actually use all three colours consistently. Whenever I travel, this trio is all I need to pack for shadows because the range of intensity and looks I can achieve with this trio is so broad. It's also the perfect pallette for day to night transformations. Just heavy-up on the eggplant for a smokey eye, brighten the brow with the white, and you're done.

I love this trio so much I'm going to stock up and keep them in the fridge. I'm so afraid they'll discontinue it. While the white and purple won't be hard to match in other lines, the blendability of them is so good, plus that shade of taupe just makes my green eyes pop in a way I've never seen before. Love, love, love!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2008 2:19:00 PM More reviews by sumansaran

The Smashbox Eye Shadows in Cinnamon Toast, Shell, and Ambient (shimmer finish) are both in terms of formula and shade extremely blendable and wearable. The formula for these shadows is some perfect combination of "lustre," "pearl," and "frost." They highlight and brighten with just enough shimmer for day, but can definitely be layered on for a more dramatic effect (which is not the look I usually go for). These remind me of the very popular Stila eyeshadows in look, feel, and formula, but I have never found a good color for myself with Stila.

That brings me to the most important part of why these eyeshadows are so great - the fantastic shades (these pictures do not do them justice). Ambient (described as shimmering golden copper) is a seemingly bolder version of the CK Copper Sun and M.A.C's Woodwinked, and looks much more dramatic in the pot than on the skin. Once applied though, it gives a warm, shimmery glow that doesn't look too bold or dramatic. Its far warmer than Woodwinked.

Cinnamon Toast (described as copper brown shimmer) is already my favorite neutral color for day that still makes eyes pop - bronze/mushroomy/taupy shade that must look good on everyone from what I can tell so far. Most shades called "cinnamon" or "toast" tend to be rather muddy and brown on application, but this one is not, which is why it manages to give a pretty, neutral sheen. And although it is described as copper brown, its really neither nor brown. If you have one of those in between dark tannish/olivish/yellowish skin tones that is at once "wheatish" and "fair," with ruddy/peachy undertones, than this color should work for you.

Last but not least is Shell (described as a soft nude pink shimmer). Shell is one of those icey white futuristic shades that looks rather awesome in the pot but always terrible when applied (in my opinion). The shade is similar to Stila's best-selling Kitten, but Kitten always washes me out and makes me look like a - futuristic ghost. Shell has warmer hints of pink and peach so that make it super blendable - which makes it a great highlighter. Conceptually, highlighters are sound, but I have never found a shade that truly works well on my skin. This one does. When I put in on my brow bone, I actually thought, wow, it is highlighting my brow bone - how spectacular!

The packaging is average (CK for the same price has snap-open lid with a good-side mirror inside) - a standard little round black pot with a twist-off instead of snap lid. In these colors, well worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2008 11:35:00 PM More reviews by ItsADewsy308

I have this in SMOKE and I love it! This is the only eyeshadow I have found that allows me to do a sophisticated smokey eye. It has the tiniest amount of shimmer making it great for day wear at work. It's a deep deep grey, almost charcoal grey. It can be layered for intensity, like to switch up your look for a night out. During the day I use a light hand and it gives me the perfect amount of color. At night, I layer it to create an almost black shadow, but not so dark that it's goth. Smooth texture. Would buy again, but it lasts so long I probably won't have to!