Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid

4.3

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer (all preceding ingredients sourced from Silica), Jojoba Seed Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Lavender Oil, Soybean Oil, Tocopheryl (sourced from Soy), Fragrance (including Certified Organic Vetiver, Lavender, Blond Orange, Marjoram, Rosemary, and Cinnamon Leaf), and Limonene.

on 9/1/2009 10:53:00 AM

I have been using this for over 5 years. I love it...I loved it more so in the first few years than now, because I think mine might actually be going bad finally.

The price is steep. That being said, it lasts FOREVER. I have been using the SAME bottle twice a week for 5 years now and I still have almost HALF of it left. I love the shine and bounce this gives me. No, it doesn't make your hair suuuuper shiny, but shiny enough to make a noticeable difference. And you only need the tiniest amount (I only use 1-2 squirts on my thick, shoulder length hair).

One lippy off for the fact that, despite using this right after I wash my hair, it still fluffs up a lot and appears dry for the first several hours. It doesn't matter if I put it in while it's damp, after it's dry or in conjunction with the flat iron--it still fluffs up. The next day though, it's gorgeous.

My verdict: buy it if you don't have fluff issues. It'll give you shine and bounce.

on 8/8/2009 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Edit November 2010: I now use Marc Anthony Moisture Gloss Drops, non-greasy, doesn't break me out, and the best part - under $10 at your local drugstore...:) I have used this product for many years, and couldn't be without it. If you have fine hair that is easily weighed down by greasy products, give this a try. I use this after straightening my hair, on my ends and face framing layers to smooth out any frizzies. You only need a very small amount, I use 2 pumps for my shouder length hair. I also use it when I want to slick my hair back into a low pontail prior to finishing with a shine spray. It is expensive - around $30 cdn. for 3.4 fl oz. or 100ml, but a little goes a long way. FYI: I have never had ANY breakouts on my scalp from this product.

on 6/16/2009 9:22:00 PM

This is my fav to use after flat ironing. It gives really nice shine, reduces flyaways & maybe a bit of frizz. I think that is its intended use. Don't expect miracles from this one. It's not gonna take you from a poofy frizz-ball to flat, smooth & silky in 1 step. But to use after flat ironing (to reduce the last bit of frizz &/or flyaways), it works nicely & it has a really nice scent. I thought this was meant to be used by those w/fine hair only, but I have thick coarse hair & it works great for me. It's very, very pricey, but it works so well & it'll last a long time so it's absolutely worth it.

on 5/28/2009 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this. I have fine long straight hair with lots of flyaways. Any sort of smoother I have used in the past always makes my hair look greasy-no more flyaway-but greasy. This is the one and only thing that actually works and doesnt weigh my hair down. I rub 2 pumps through wet hair before I blow dry, then i use 1 pump on my dry hair for even more shiny glossy smoothness. I love this so much!

on 5/14/2009 8:50:00 PM

A definite MUST have, at least for me. I usually put it on my hair dry, after styling to make the fuzz and flyaways tame down -- and it works!! If you use the right amount, it does not make the hair look greasy - just shiny and healthy. If I don't have this in my hair, my hair is sooo flyaway! I use it probably 4 times a week but because it takes such a tiny amount ( a dot only), it lasts forever! I've had mine a year and STILL have half a bottle :)

on 4/27/2009 2:48:00 PM

This stuff is wonderful. Makes the ends of your hair look like you just got a haircut. Smells great with a light citrus scent, and I can use it or dry or wet hair. Much better than hang straight for me, as that was a bit heavy. FYI, I have scads of fine, wavy/curly, highlighted hair. When I use this, my hair feels and looks like glass.

on 4/14/2009 2:48:00 PM

Wonderful product!

A little goes a long way, one or two pumps right before I flat iron. I am on my second bottle.

Love, love, love this product!

on 4/10/2009 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have highlighted, long fine blonde hair and this product took a professional blowout and turned it flat and lifeless within an hour. Really weighs down fine hair in my opinion, even when using just a bit. I prefer the Aveda mousse products to this.

on 4/10/2009 6:51:00 PM

Love, love this product! I blow dry my hair just about every other day, sometimes daily and color it regularly so it does have some dryness but is still in good condition. I always like to put something on my hair before I blow dry it to protect it and have tried many, many products! This is one of the best, if not the best I have ever used! It makes my hair super soft and really smooths flyaways! I have only used it on dry hair a couple times but prefer to use it when my hair is wet. I also love the fact that it doesn't contain alcohol because the serums I have used that contain alcohol end up drying out my hair after a few weeks. I also love that this isn't greasy either, like some other serums. It is quite pricey, though. But I've had the same bottle for just about a year now and I'm just now running out so to me it's worth it!

Light Elements really is light! Definitely protects my hair from blow dryer damage. It is a bit costly, but I find it lasts many months, so that's not really an issue.

Popular Styling Products