MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

Ruby woo is my problematic fave.

I have probably 5 matte red lipsticks and I love them all, but ruby woo remains my favorite simply because the color is so deep and beautiful. When applied correctly the super dry matte texture is also gorgeous, but because it is SO matte it presents some problems. After applying this for the first time and sitting around for a few hours in class, maybe drinking some water, I find that it is worn off in the center of my mouth (embarrassing) and chunky and flaky around the edges. I was super disappointed, as I had heard amazing things about ruby woo and what a great luxurious product it was. Eventually I learned you just have to be careful when you apply it. Now I exfoliate my lips with a toothbrush and slather them in rosebud salve and let them soak it up while I apply the rest of my makeup, line the outside and fill in with a pencil (a cheap nyx one) and apply ruby woo in the center and blend out with my ring finger, layering a bit depending on how intense I want it. Done this way it is beautiful and lasts for hours! Highly recommended.

on 4/29/2015 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I can NOT be without my ruby. Even though it can get very dry at times it is my favorite. There is no way you can wear this lipstick and not receive compliments all day. Very bright and vibrant.

on 4/29/2015 5:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

i really wanted to love this lipstick since so many good rave about it. but unfortunately the shade doesn't suit my complexion and it's very very drying :(
Can't even swipe without lip balm underneath.

on 4/7/2015 11:51:00 PM

Really great matte red lipstick. Product is pretty drying and can bleed. Would not recommend applying without lip liner. I've worn to a party where... lots of drinking was involved... and I was worried about my lipstick all night but it stayed put really well given the situation. Although I would not try reapplying unless necessary, it gets pretty clumpy on the second application.

on 4/7/2015 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

What a perfect red! Joined the MAC party a bit late, but i'm glad I started with this. I'm NW 35 for reference, with a yellow-toned complexion. This color pops out as the perfect accessory to brighten up my face. I have the retro matte version, which goes on smooth, but can be a bit drying. However, it doesn't seep into your lip lines, or become uneven. You can touch up after 4-5 hours or after you've eaten, but the color stays fresh and deep. Truly recommended for women with a wheatish complexion.

Mac's best lipstick especially out of the retro mattes I dont like any of the other retros but ruby woo is classic it stands out and in my opinion its not a serious red its more playful because up close its a bright cherry color but its crisp, bright and looks and wears crisp n clean no lip liner needed although I do sonetimes use the ruby woo liner with it I get a lot of compliments on this lipstick and im not a lover of red lipsticks but I wear this more often than any of my other macs because I can go in public and not worry that it smeared or faded or ended up under my bottom lip it stays put so its a winner in my book.

on 3/31/2015 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Redd lip pencil by MAC finally made a believer outta me when it comes to this lipstick. I favor a orange red more than a blue based red so the orange in Redd helps get me that extra something I need to feel comfy wearing ruby woo. I love this and now understand why it is such a classic.

on 3/31/2015 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

my all time fav lippy love it got 2 the perfect red for every skintone very similar to riri woo
the texture is amazing no need to apply lipliner before hand makes lips look bright and full
it just brightens the face when applied
highly recommend it if you are looking for a red lippy

on 3/21/2015 10:25:00 PM

Ruby Woo is one of MAC's most famous lipsticks and is a HG product for many. However, as a retro matte, I found the formula very drying on my lips, making every line and crack show up. I also found the lipstick to be overly hard to apply and chalky. The colour itself is nice, and it lasts for hours and hours, however the formula and drying out issues do not make this product worth its price or the hype. For an alternative red, I would recommend MAC's Ladybug.

on 3/21/2015 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is probably the most expensive lip product I own as well as one of my favourites. The colour is amazing although I don't usually wear it full on. I usually dab it in the inner part of my lips in order to create a gradient effect and it works very well.

Texture & fragrance :
It has a creamy texture that doesn't dry out my lips or accentuate my dry patches. It has ordinary mac lipstick scent.

Packaging :
Comes in the usual mac packaging which I am not too fond of as we can't see the colour of the lipstick outside.

Overall, this is worth the hefty price tag and I would repurchase and recommend this to anyone.

Video Reviews & Tutorials