Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain

3.8

on 7/22/2010 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

L'Instant (meaning "the moment") was created 2003 for Guerlain and it's a treasure of mine. Just looking at the bottle makes me smile, it's so luxurious and classic. The scent is oriental, feminine and floral. I recommend that you splurge and buy the Eau de parfume because it will last longer.

Top note: bergamot, mandarin.
Middle note: chinese magnolia, sambac jasmine, ylang-ylang, iris.
Base note: vanilla, benzoin, musk, amber.

The moment for this scent is evening, I think it's a bit too heavy for daytime although I wear it all day long : )

on 6/30/2010 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I first received this as a gift when my fiance took a trip to Paris to visit relatives. Now..realize that I was never much of a "perfume" girl because so many scents give me a massive headache that my fragrance collection is really very limited. Anyway...from the second I first used this I loved the scent--the test would be waiting for the headache. Suffice it to say, I never got a headache!
Since then, this has been my go-to, regular, every day scent. It is clean and not heavy at all, but during the day it leaves a subtle scent. It really feels so fresh!! This is the only scent I've worn where so many people have asked me what scent I'm wearing--because they love it. In fact, I actually had a guy follow me throughout a store one day to find out the name b/c he wanted to purchase it for his wife. I love L'Instant and always get it when I'm in France--it is actually easier to come by there than over here.
I'm also totally in love with Guerlain's L'Heur Bleu--OMG. I love that scent so much..that said, due to our personal body chemistry, we all wear our scents differently. My fave may be your clothspin-over-the-nose scent and visa versa. However, Geurlain just has so many beautiful scents.
Hope this helps!

on 6/16/2010 2:57:00 AM

I loved the scent of this on a scent strip, but it turned into disgusting baby powder with a hint of jasmine on me. Not only that, it's very strong. I don't know which note makes things turn into baby powder smell, but things do have a tendency to go that way on me, so if you have the same problem, I would steer clear of this fragrance.

on 5/20/2010 5:45:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

so sweet and feminine!

on 4/25/2010 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I LOVE Luca Turin's review of L'Instant -- something that sounds like a great idea when you're drunk and then the next morning, you're just kicking yourself. I totally agree and would add that during that drunken fit, what an effing grand time you're having. Forget the perfume snobs, though. This is a great scent -- and probably the first "grown up" perfume I ever bought. I fell in love with it because it seemed so elegant and ladylike, all the things I wanted to be. Now I know the perfume snobs hate it because they see it as bringing down the house of Guerlain. Whatever. This was my first Guerlain fragrance and it served as an intro to the even better things their house had to offer: L'Heure Bleue, Chamade...we could go on forever here. With hindsight, I can see the validity of the argument that Instant doesn't quite fit in with the illustrious company of Guerlain's other perfumes. But, again: whatevs, man. Instant's sillage is great, the longevity is great. Compared to Shalimar, it's mediocre...but what isn't mediocre when compared to Shalimar? In short, I'd say Instant is a naive young woman's vision of what an elegant, chic perfume smells like. I wore this once and one of my girlfriends told me I smelled like a young woman who knows what she wants out of life -- what better compliment is there?

on 4/15/2010 9:58:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Ah, i'm in love with this fragrance! I'm way too picky when it comes to fragrances, i try every new product on the market and usually end up dissapointed by the lack of that "something" that makes a perfume special. I'm generally a fan of Italian signature fragrances but this time, a French one stole my heart. L'Instant de Guerlain is a very sensual, feminine musky/oriental perfume. Whenever i wear it i instantly lighen up and feel super sexy no matter if i'm in my jeans or a killer dress. When i first bought it, my boyfriend couldn't stop smelling my neck. Last week, i went to a friend's dinner party and when i entered the room everybody asked me if i was the one that smelled that great. Everyday people on the street stop and ask me what perfume i'm using! You'll probably think i'm exaggerating but i'm only writing this review to spread the word... Do try it if you have purchased many perfumes but noone was the ideal for you. Picking a perfume is way too personal and by no way am i suggesting that since i love it, you have to love it too. I'm only saying that you should try it =)

Top Notes: mandarin and bergamot
Middle Notes: magnolia, ylang ylang, sambac jasmine, iris
Base Notes: vanilla, musk, benzoin, amber

on 3/12/2010 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

L'Instant de Guerlain is a beautiful, soft, powdery floral, with the classic Guerlain vanilla drydown. I agree that it feels brighter than Jicky and Shalimar. Gentle and ultra-feminine. The lasting power is great. I don't know if I'd recommend it for the boardroom (you might want something with more backbone), but great for most other occasions.

on 3/7/2010 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There's a luscious honeyed floral in here somewhere, but it's buried in spiny synthetic notes.

on 2/21/2010 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I got this perfume in a set. It came with a candle! I must say, I fell in love with this fragance. My husband loves it on me. lol. I save it for special occasion ( special date with the hubster...) I feel so womanly with this fragrance!

on 2/3/2010 4:53:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I bought this as part of my continuting search for a new signature fragrance (Boucheron's Initial is discontinued.) I do like it. It is warm, spicy, and floral at the same time.

If I had to describe it to someone who is unfamiliar with perfume lingo, I would say it smells like rice pudding and roses.

I do notice that when I wear it, people tend to stop and talk to me a bit more than ususal. I am not sure if that is a coincedence or if it has something to to with the fragrance.

I would buy this again.