October 24, 2014 | 1730 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by sophiapirie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this cleanser a lot, it doesnt dry me out but i tend to have really oily skin. I wouldnt use this during winter though.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2012 1:34:00 PM More reviews by svaiko

Ive been using this for about 6 months, day and night and it has helped my skin. It keeps my skin clear, however, it doesn't prevent my hormonal chin acne around my TOTM. Also It does not seem to help with enlarged pores or blackheads. It cleans off my makeup remarkably well and my skin is squeaky clean afterward. it is strong stuff and very watery, however, I dilute it with about 30% water and put it in an empty foaming hand soap dispenser (comes out of the dispenser as a foam) and it takes care of both issues. Overall, this is my go to cleanser until I find something that works better for me. PS. Also cleans makeup brushes well!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2012 1:13:00 PM More reviews by mermanda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've been using this every night for about three years to remove my makeup. It leaves my skin feeling clean and not tight. I have acne-prone skin and am using Retin-A -- I don't find that this face wash irritates my skin and it is not overly-drying.

Things that aren't so great about it: It is somewhat messy to use, though, because it shoots out as liquid and it is very difficult to travel with it. It stings REALLY BADLY if it accidentally gets in your eyes and if you accidentally get some in your mouth -- you will be shocked at how terrible it tastes. Not a problem if you don't eat your face wash I guess. ;)

I have repurchased this many times -- including the very economical giant refill bottle. Great value.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by piecesofpurple

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this product yet! I've been using it as a my face cleanser at night for years because it's the best cleanser to wash off makeup, oil, dirt, and pollution that's built up from walking around all day. The consistency is very liquidy and thin, so I pour it into a travel sized bottle that makes it into a foam consistency so it's more manageable. I get 32oz for 10 bucks on iherb.com, so that price REALLY can't be beat. This may be too harsh for people with sensitive skin or dry skin, but for those with oily skin, it's perfect! I even used it while on Accutane and I was fine.

I do use a mild face wash from 100% Pure in the mornings, though, since I'm not washing off makeup and just need a quick rinse.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by aquavita

Don't buy this product , it is way too harsh. If you strip all the oil from your skin, it will just respond by producing even more oil. I am happy that it works for some, but I don't think it is a good long term solution.
Anyways, I give it a 2, because it lasts forever, makes not a bad hand wash( as long as you don't use it too often, because if not it will suck your hands dry) and does have a descent smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2012 2:06:00 AM More reviews by itaJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is definitely my favorite face wash of all time - I've strayed from it before, but I always end up coming back. It's all natural, soothing, and it makes my face feel super clean! Great when used w/ Desert Essence's Tea Tree Oil Blemish Stick, it really cleared up my acne! I personally like the smell, but it is very different; after I wash my face with this at night, my boyfriend always says I "smell like plants." :)

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2012 3:35:00 PM More reviews by katehume

Like others said, I really wanted to love this product. I really think the tea tree oil in this product helped clear my acne, but after months of use, I just couldn't take the harshness any more. My skin was red, irritated, and felt like it was burning (especially around my nose). And, despite the drying effect, my face was trying to overcompensate by producing a ton of oil. So I went from breakouts to irritated, oily skin, which is just as bad - if not worse! I think I'll keep this around to clean makeup brushes with though, but overall it's been far too harsh for my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2012 4:44:00 PM More reviews by mochio

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I originally bought it as an everyday face wash, but found it too drying for that. This is still good stuff, though. What I use it for: when my face is feeling hormonal or oily, I'll wash my face with this after I've removed my makeup with oil cleanser. I use it in junction with my shiseido brush and although my skin feels "drier," it looks cleaner and smoother in the morning. The formulation is thin and runny and foams quite a bit. The temporary dryness is worth it though, for when I wake up in the morning. Blackheads appear dimished and no new pimples have emerged. Definitely doesn't clog pores (i'm look at YOU mineral oil filled shu uemura cleanser) and thus doesn't irritate my skin. I wouldn't use this more than a few times a week though, and more as a treatment face wash. Also doubles as a makeup brush cleaner woot woot! Will let you know how satisfied I am with usage when I finish up the bottle.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2011 5:18:00 PM More reviews by YellowLantern

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Strips my face like whoa. I guess I should have been more diligent about reading the label when I bought it since this is basically just castile soap and I have always found castile soap to be drying when used on my body. The only way I was able to use this is if I used half a pump mixed with water and then very, very briefly washed my T-zone with this. Used this way the cleanser lasts forever, but frankly I didn't want it to.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2011 8:12:00 AM More reviews by littlefangfang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It took me a long time to discover this product. I used to only use expensive department store brands (or sephora) . after been on this "clean" beauty product kick, and reading all the articles and books about the 'truth' of beauty industry I am officially scared to put any of that stuff on my face. This product is simple and gets the job done and makes my skin feel really soft and clean afterwards. If you are used to the normal cleanser's after feeling, maybe this is not the product for you. I used Aveeno for a while and i just recently read the label on the back, it's loaded with paraben and synthetic fragrance...as much as i liked how good it smells and how nice my skin feels after, you bet I'd never put that crap on my face ever again.