Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

on 9/5/2012 4:49:00 PM

I switched to all natural products after having a bad skin reaction to an ingredient that's in everyday drug store products. I wanted to love this product, but this made my face break out, and become rough and red. On the other hand, my shoulders and back like it. So now I use it for skin clearing body wash. Be aware that this product is very liquidy. It has the same consistency as water, so be careful.

on 8/3/2012 6:02:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I wanted to like this cleanser so badly but it was just too harsh for my sensitive/acne prone skin. I used it five or six times and started experiencing redness and stinging on my cheeks and around my eyes. I loved the scent, the texture and was even starting to like the squeaky clean feeling afterwards. I will definitely keep it around for when I need a deep cleaning but there is no way I could use it as my daily cleanser. I don't think it's a bad product, it definitely gives a hardcore cleaning; just a little too industrial strength for my skin. If you have very oily or non-sensitive skin, I would definitely give this a go. Inexpensive, natural and does the job. I noticed a lot of reviewers complaining about the pump but it wasn't too much of a problem for me, just pick it up and aim the pump nozzle into your hand and it's less of a mess.

on 6/4/2012 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this cleanser a lot, it doesnt dry me out but i tend to have really oily skin. I wouldnt use this during winter though.

on 4/16/2012 1:34:00 PM

Ive been using this for about 6 months, day and night and it has helped my skin. It keeps my skin clear, however, it doesn't prevent my hormonal chin acne around my TOTM. Also It does not seem to help with enlarged pores or blackheads. It cleans off my makeup remarkably well and my skin is squeaky clean afterward. it is strong stuff and very watery, however, I dilute it with about 30% water and put it in an empty foaming hand soap dispenser (comes out of the dispenser as a foam) and it takes care of both issues. Overall, this is my go to cleanser until I find something that works better for me. PS. Also cleans makeup brushes well!

on 4/12/2012 1:13:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been using this every night for about three years to remove my makeup. It leaves my skin feeling clean and not tight. I have acne-prone skin and am using Retin-A -- I don't find that this face wash irritates my skin and it is not overly-drying.

Things that aren't so great about it: It is somewhat messy to use, though, because it shoots out as liquid and it is very difficult to travel with it. It stings REALLY BADLY if it accidentally gets in your eyes and if you accidentally get some in your mouth -- you will be shocked at how terrible it tastes. Not a problem if you don't eat your face wash I guess. ;)

I have repurchased this many times -- including the very economical giant refill bottle. Great value.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this product yet! I've been using it as a my face cleanser at night for years because it's the best cleanser to wash off makeup, oil, dirt, and pollution that's built up from walking around all day. The consistency is very liquidy and thin, so I pour it into a travel sized bottle that makes it into a foam consistency so it's more manageable. I get 32oz for 10 bucks on iherb.com, so that price REALLY can't be beat. This may be too harsh for people with sensitive skin or dry skin, but for those with oily skin, it's perfect! I even used it while on Accutane and I was fine.

I do use a mild face wash from 100% Pure in the mornings, though, since I'm not washing off makeup and just need a quick rinse.

on 3/22/2012 3:50:00 PM

Don't buy this product , it is way too harsh. If you strip all the oil from your skin, it will just respond by producing even more oil. I am happy that it works for some, but I don't think it is a good long term solution.
Anyways, I give it a 2, because it lasts forever, makes not a bad hand wash( as long as you don't use it too often, because if not it will suck your hands dry) and does have a descent smell.

on 2/24/2012 2:06:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is definitely my favorite face wash of all time - I've strayed from it before, but I always end up coming back. It's all natural, soothing, and it makes my face feel super clean! Great when used w/ Desert Essence's Tea Tree Oil Blemish Stick, it really cleared up my acne! I personally like the smell, but it is very different; after I wash my face with this at night, my boyfriend always says I "smell like plants." :)

on 2/2/2012 3:35:00 PM

Like others said, I really wanted to love this product. I really think the tea tree oil in this product helped clear my acne, but after months of use, I just couldn't take the harshness any more. My skin was red, irritated, and felt like it was burning (especially around my nose). And, despite the drying effect, my face was trying to overcompensate by producing a ton of oil. So I went from breakouts to irritated, oily skin, which is just as bad - if not worse! I think I'll keep this around to clean makeup brushes with though, but overall it's been far too harsh for my skin.

on 1/13/2012 4:44:00 PM

I originally bought it as an everyday face wash, but found it too drying for that. This is still good stuff, though. What I use it for: when my face is feeling hormonal or oily, I'll wash my face with this after I've removed my makeup with oil cleanser. I use it in junction with my shiseido brush and although my skin feels "drier," it looks cleaner and smoother in the morning. The formulation is thin and runny and foams quite a bit. The temporary dryness is worth it though, for when I wake up in the morning. Blackheads appear dimished and no new pimples have emerged. Definitely doesn't clog pores (i'm look at YOU mineral oil filled shu uemura cleanser) and thus doesn't irritate my skin. I wouldn't use this more than a few times a week though, and more as a treatment face wash. Also doubles as a makeup brush cleaner woot woot! Will let you know how satisfied I am with usage when I finish up the bottle.