Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-Harvest®

on 9/18/2012 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

**this is a review I posted on my blog**

Desert Essence is a brand I have only seen in two places (physically): Sprouts Farmers Market and Vitamin Shoppe. There are 2 honest reasons why I bought this face wash: Because it was on sale [told you I love sales (from what I can remember It was originally at 8.99, in sale for 6.99 @ Vitamin Shoppe)]. Secondly, because I wanted to try out the brand. I have never ever purchased anything from Desert Essence. Thanks to the internet I read loads of reviews about this product with mixed emotions. Because my face is as oily as the worst oil spill you can google about, I said to myself "What the hell, if it doesn't work, I can always return it".
Before I get to the juicy review let me tell you about this product. It has 8.5 fluid ounces. Comes with a pump. Has ALL and I mean ALL natural ingredients. No parabens, no mineral oil, no Sls, and the list goes on and on. According to the official dessert essence website it claims
" NEW! The extract of Hawaii’s fragrant awapuhi plant brings additional softening properties to this gentle, but effective cleanser already rich in soothing extract of goldenseal and essential oil of chamomile. Eco-Harvest® Tea Tree Oil leaves a clean that feels oil-free, and with regular use, helps improve your skin’s texture and radiance".

Better Nutrition Best of Beauty Awards, 2009

My THOUGHTS

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. It claims exactly what it promises. I love how my face feels super clean. It really takes the dirt of my face. Beware! If you have open sores or acne that is healing, YOU will feel the burn/sting sensation. NOW, I don't mind it. TO ME its disinfecting the wound and will help to heal it faster. To some, this may be a complete turn off. Some reviews I read around said "it dries your face". You know what, that is true. But you see I WANT my face dry. I want the oily layer of my face GONE. It does a fabulous job doing that. So if you have a "normal, normal to dry, or "sensitive" face. Then this product is not for you. Desert Essence makes other face washes for those particular skin types. I personally like to rotate my face wash. I have a generic "neutragena" one, this one I am reviewing, Cetaphil and a few bar type face washes. My only issue I have with this product is the pump. For some reason the soap dries to this film, and even after I clean the pump it still would not pump properly. So I had to buy a travel size bottle with a pump to pour the product in. But that's my only issue.

My advice? Check websites that carry this product and see if there is a sale that way You can save a few dollars. One more thing, they have a mega 32 oz bottle as well for 14 dollars. Once I run this one out, I am going to purchase the big bottle.

Again, this was a surprise find. I really don't purchase with an agenda (because it has the finest ingredients). But my goodness, this was one hell of a positive surprise!
It has Holy Grail quality and Natural Beauty ingredients wrapped into ONE! Highly recommend!!!!!!!!!!

on 9/5/2012 4:49:00 PM

I switched to all natural products after having a bad skin reaction to an ingredient that's in everyday drug store products. I wanted to love this product, but this made my face break out, and become rough and red. On the other hand, my shoulders and back like it. So now I use it for skin clearing body wash. Be aware that this product is very liquidy. It has the same consistency as water, so be careful.

on 8/3/2012 6:02:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I wanted to like this cleanser so badly but it was just too harsh for my sensitive/acne prone skin. I used it five or six times and started experiencing redness and stinging on my cheeks and around my eyes. I loved the scent, the texture and was even starting to like the squeaky clean feeling afterwards. I will definitely keep it around for when I need a deep cleaning but there is no way I could use it as my daily cleanser. I don't think it's a bad product, it definitely gives a hardcore cleaning; just a little too industrial strength for my skin. If you have very oily or non-sensitive skin, I would definitely give this a go. Inexpensive, natural and does the job. I noticed a lot of reviewers complaining about the pump but it wasn't too much of a problem for me, just pick it up and aim the pump nozzle into your hand and it's less of a mess.

on 6/4/2012 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this cleanser a lot, it doesnt dry me out but i tend to have really oily skin. I wouldnt use this during winter though.

on 4/16/2012 1:34:00 PM

Ive been using this for about 6 months, day and night and it has helped my skin. It keeps my skin clear, however, it doesn't prevent my hormonal chin acne around my TOTM. Also It does not seem to help with enlarged pores or blackheads. It cleans off my makeup remarkably well and my skin is squeaky clean afterward. it is strong stuff and very watery, however, I dilute it with about 30% water and put it in an empty foaming hand soap dispenser (comes out of the dispenser as a foam) and it takes care of both issues. Overall, this is my go to cleanser until I find something that works better for me. PS. Also cleans makeup brushes well!

on 4/12/2012 1:13:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been using this every night for about three years to remove my makeup. It leaves my skin feeling clean and not tight. I have acne-prone skin and am using Retin-A -- I don't find that this face wash irritates my skin and it is not overly-drying.

Things that aren't so great about it: It is somewhat messy to use, though, because it shoots out as liquid and it is very difficult to travel with it. It stings REALLY BADLY if it accidentally gets in your eyes and if you accidentally get some in your mouth -- you will be shocked at how terrible it tastes. Not a problem if you don't eat your face wash I guess. ;)

I have repurchased this many times -- including the very economical giant refill bottle. Great value.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this product yet! I've been using it as a my face cleanser at night for years because it's the best cleanser to wash off makeup, oil, dirt, and pollution that's built up from walking around all day. The consistency is very liquidy and thin, so I pour it into a travel sized bottle that makes it into a foam consistency so it's more manageable. I get 32oz for 10 bucks on iherb.com, so that price REALLY can't be beat. This may be too harsh for people with sensitive skin or dry skin, but for those with oily skin, it's perfect! I even used it while on Accutane and I was fine.

I do use a mild face wash from 100% Pure in the mornings, though, since I'm not washing off makeup and just need a quick rinse.

on 3/22/2012 3:50:00 PM

Don't buy this product , it is way too harsh. If you strip all the oil from your skin, it will just respond by producing even more oil. I am happy that it works for some, but I don't think it is a good long term solution.
Anyways, I give it a 2, because it lasts forever, makes not a bad hand wash( as long as you don't use it too often, because if not it will suck your hands dry) and does have a descent smell.

on 2/24/2012 2:06:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is definitely my favorite face wash of all time - I've strayed from it before, but I always end up coming back. It's all natural, soothing, and it makes my face feel super clean! Great when used w/ Desert Essence's Tea Tree Oil Blemish Stick, it really cleared up my acne! I personally like the smell, but it is very different; after I wash my face with this at night, my boyfriend always says I "smell like plants." :)

on 2/2/2012 3:35:00 PM

Like others said, I really wanted to love this product. I really think the tea tree oil in this product helped clear my acne, but after months of use, I just couldn't take the harshness any more. My skin was red, irritated, and felt like it was burning (especially around my nose). And, despite the drying effect, my face was trying to overcompensate by producing a ton of oil. So I went from breakouts to irritated, oily skin, which is just as bad - if not worse! I think I'll keep this around to clean makeup brushes with though, but overall it's been far too harsh for my skin.