Aveda Madder Root Conditioner

4.1

Ingredients: Aqueous Purified Water Extracts: Rubia Tinctorum Extract, Clover Extract, Henna Extract, Sweet Almond Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Extract (Organically Grown), Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate (Palm), Stearyl Alcohol (Mixed Plant), Dimethicone Copolyol (Silica), Glycerin (Coconut), Behenamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate (Rapeseed), Distearyldimonium Chloride (Coconut), Babassu Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol (Rice Bran), Stearyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolzed Wheat Protein, Glyceryl Stearate (Coconut), Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride (Guar Beans), Dicapryl Ether (Coconut), Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut), Cetrimonium Chloride (Mixed Plant), Cyclomethicone (Silica), Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose (Cellulose), Sodium Citrate (Molasses), Citric Acid (Molasses), Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea, Annatto (Colorant), Basic Brown 16 (Colorant), Basic Red 76 (Colorant)

I naturally have extremely thick, damaged, brunette hair that hates to hold any color I put in it, especially red! I got my hair dyed a gorgeous shade of deep copper red and was so pleased with it...until I completely lost the red within 2 weeks after dying and was left with a drab brown. Yep. Two whole weeks and absolutely no red. I was devastated because I had fallen so in love with this color! I began researching and found this gem. It is amazing. I either mix a tiny bit of it with a more moisturizing conditioner or will just use this conditioner by itself. It doesn't feel that moisturizing when you first put it on but the quality of my hair has actually improved!! And the color stayed beautiful for 3 months, until I had some pretty weird roots showing. My hair dresser was so shocked with the results and didn't even have to color my ends because they looked so good still. Oh and for the complaints on the packaging...if you just cut the tube in half when you're almost out you can scoop out quite a bit more with your fingers and then store it by putting the top half inside of the bottom half if that makes sense :) Hope it works as good for you girls!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I have bright bright bright red hair, and this stuff really helps maintain it. Let me explain: red dye is the fastest fading dye, even if you do a permanent colour at a professional salon, which is what I did. Fading within two months is inevitable. This stuff holds up the red even as it's fading, so it fades in a nice way, if that makes any sense. I didn't realize the full extent of this until I switched back to a completely run-of-the-mill shampoo and conditioner about a week before my next hair appointment. No color-protection, nothing, and the shampoo had sulfates in it - I had a week left remember so I didn't really mind, and the shampoo and conditioner were really moisturizing so I wanted to use them when I could. My hair went from a nicely held together red to fading pink and orange! It was quite funny actually. That, along with my half-inch light brown roots, and the bottom layer of my hair was another odd shade of orange. In the end my hair was about five different colours, and this conditioner was preventing that from happening for a whole two months. That's pretty darn good in my book. Along with Kevin Murphy Angel Wash Shampoo and Conditioner, I will continue to use this every other day as long as I keep going back to my fabulous red.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This conditioner really does add red color. Instructions say to leave on 2 to 5 minutes, or longer if desired. After towel drying my shampooed hair, I comb the conditioner through, put on a plastic cap, and leave on 6 minutes. It really revitalizes my color! If any color comes off on hands or towels, it easily washes off. So far, it doesn't irritate my scalp as other Aveda shampoos and conditioners have done.

I find the conditioner very moisturizing, so I use a light conditioning shampoo.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have dyed or henna'd my hair for years and the roots get ever greyer, however, this conditioner definitely deposits enough colour to make a big difference in the last week or two before a re-dye. I wouldn't say it would make hair that is not red look red, but it definitely brightens red hair and blurs the root line. Expensive but lasts ages, I alternate with a more moisturising conditioner.

This is seriously good stuff. I have very dry hair and often need the most intense conditioning product of any haircare line, and this does the job for me. I've been using this for about 6-7 years now in conjunction with the madder root shampoo and the two together are quite amazing. The madder root naturally tints my hair giving it a nice depth of color. My hair is actually not red, it's black and obviously this does not turn me into a red head, but it gives it a nice depth of color in the sunlight that I really like. I've tried the clove and black malva but ironically the madder root works the best!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I'm natural blond, with a slight red sheen to my hair, but I usually colour it a chestnutty dark red, and as it's a red colour it disapperas quickly. I bought this conditioner because I wanted something to keep the colour vibrand a little longer.

The product comes out a really strong red colour, and the herbaly scent is also quite strong. I take a good blob (my hair just reaches the shoulders, is dry and frizzy, and also slightly damaged from ironing) and put it all over my hair (just shampoed, still wet), from root to ends, massage it in really well so I'm sure its even. I comb throught with my fingers and leave it in for a few minutes while I shower and shave. I rinse it out really well, and RINSE THE SHOWER AND SHOWERCURTAIN!!!! If you don't it will stain!

It is a really good product, it leaves a lot of colour, and it is nice and moisturizing. It does not irritate my sensitive scalp, does not stain my scalp or skin around my hairline either. I would recomend this do anyone that wants help to keep the red in their hair vibrant.

My only complaint about this conditioner is that it comes in a MUCH smaller size than the shampoo, so i feel like I am always in need of another bottle. It leaves my hair feeling clean and untangled, and DEFINITELY deposits some color- I used an alcohol based face cleansing pad after showering once, and it pulled some pinkish pigment off my face. This has a nice scent and overall I am very happy with the product.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Here's my beef with this product: the packing. I hate packing like this, in tubes, where so much of the product gets wasted inside the container.

That said, I LOVE this conditioner. It leaves such a nice, smooth, weightless texture to the hair. It rinses out clean and smells delicious. It is extremely pigmented, leaving a bright cool red to the hair -- this is a cool tone red, not an orangey warm red. Will definitely brighten cool toned reds. On coppery hair like mine, this causes a very noticeable difference in colour.

Of note, this conditioner stained my bare nails with a light pink colour the one time I did not wash it off my hands quickly or well enough. I do love this product, it is wonderful and makes my hair feel so delicious. Will not repurchase because this gives an almost purple cast to hair. It would work better for women who dye their hair with blue-based reds, but for copper redheads and strawberry blondes, it's a poor colour match.

This color depositing conditioner is amazing. It smells really good, and puts much needed moisture back into my hair without weighing it down. It definitely brightens and intensifies the color, and I will repurchase (on Amazon!) until I find something even better.

My hair is naturally medium brown in color with reddish highlights, and it occasionally will get coppery/golden highlights if I spend time in the sun (which I hardly ever do anymore). It's starting to gray, so I use body art quality henna on it about every 6-8 weeks to liven the color. I purchased this conditioner hoping it would add to my coppery tint so I wouldn't have to henna it so often. It leaves my hair shiny and you can really see the coppery color on my hair from the henna when the sunlight hits my hair. Usually I leave it on for about 10 minutes in the shower, then shampoo my hair since my hair is fine and I cannot take using conditioner from roots to tips since my hair gets weighed down. But it works just fine this way, my hair is conditioned very well, shiny & soft, even with shampooing afterwards. I would say if you are a brunette with reddish highlights & your hair is not chemically treated, do not be afraid of this conditioner, the effect is very subtle & pretty. It mostly just enhances whatever red you already have.