October 1, 2014 | 1801 users online

Conditioner - Aveda - Madder Root Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2011 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Mathilda91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm natural blond, with a slight red sheen to my hair, but I usually colour it a chestnutty dark red, and as it's a red colour it disapperas quickly. I bought this conditioner because I wanted something to keep the colour vibrand a little longer.

The product comes out a really strong red colour, and the herbaly scent is also quite strong. I take a good blob (my hair just reaches the shoulders, is dry and frizzy, and also slightly damaged from ironing) and put it all over my hair (just shampoed, still wet), from root to ends, massage it in really well so I'm sure its even. I comb throught with my fingers and leave it in for a few minutes while I shower and shave. I rinse it out really well, and RINSE THE SHOWER AND SHOWERCURTAIN!!!! If you don't it will stain!

It is a really good product, it leaves a lot of colour, and it is nice and moisturizing. It does not irritate my sensitive scalp, does not stain my scalp or skin around my hairline either. I would recomend this do anyone that wants help to keep the red in their hair vibrant.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2011 10:25:00 AM More reviews by gtichick

My only complaint about this conditioner is that it comes in a MUCH smaller size than the shampoo, so i feel like I am always in need of another bottle. It leaves my hair feeling clean and untangled, and DEFINITELY deposits some color- I used an alcohol based face cleansing pad after showering once, and it pulled some pinkish pigment off my face. This has a nice scent and overall I am very happy with the product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2011 9:37:00 PM More reviews by keanash

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Here's my beef with this product: the packing. I hate packing like this, in tubes, where so much of the product gets wasted inside the container.

That said, I LOVE this conditioner. It leaves such a nice, smooth, weightless texture to the hair. It rinses out clean and smells delicious. It is extremely pigmented, leaving a bright cool red to the hair -- this is a cool tone red, not an orangey warm red. Will definitely brighten cool toned reds. On coppery hair like mine, this causes a very noticeable difference in colour.

Of note, this conditioner stained my bare nails with a light pink colour the one time I did not wash it off my hands quickly or well enough. I do love this product, it is wonderful and makes my hair feel so delicious. Will not repurchase because this gives an almost purple cast to hair. It would work better for women who dye their hair with blue-based reds, but for copper redheads and strawberry blondes, it's a poor colour match.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 10:13:00 AM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This color depositing conditioner is amazing. It smells really good, and puts much needed moisture back into my hair without weighing it down. It definitely brightens and intensifies the color, and I will repurchase (on Amazon!) until I find something even better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by renia22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My hair is naturally medium brown in color with reddish highlights, and it occasionally will get coppery/golden highlights if I spend time in the sun (which I hardly ever do anymore). It's starting to gray, so I use body art quality henna on it about every 6-8 weeks to liven the color. I purchased this conditioner hoping it would add to my coppery tint so I wouldn't have to henna it so often. It leaves my hair shiny and you can really see the coppery color on my hair from the henna when the sunlight hits my hair. Usually I leave it on for about 10 minutes in the shower, then shampoo my hair since my hair is fine and I cannot take using conditioner from roots to tips since my hair gets weighed down. But it works just fine this way, my hair is conditioned very well, shiny & soft, even with shampooing afterwards. I would say if you are a brunette with reddish highlights & your hair is not chemically treated, do not be afraid of this conditioner, the effect is very subtle & pretty. It mostly just enhances whatever red you already have.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2011 12:36:00 PM More reviews by veroS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

So I'm a natural brunette and don't have any colored bits in my hair. some golden highlights from the sun this is it. I just wanted to enhance my hair color a bit, so it doesn't look so boring, but I really never want to color it. I read all the great reviews here about this conditioner and so I went to the Aveda Salon to try it out. I hesitated, because of the price to buy it straigth away, but at the salon they washed my hair with the shampoo and conditioner for free to try it out. The stylist there said she never tried it out on someone with uncolored and brunette hair, so we were both excited about the results. They let the conditioner sit for about 10 minutes. The results were FANTASTIC!!!!! This was actually exactly the result of "coloring" that i hoped to achieve!!!! I love being able to keep my natural, individual haircolor and just adding a bit of an exciting reddish tone to it!! It is subtle, so my actual haircolor remains unchanged, just the normal blonde hightlight from the sun have turned into subtle light red hightlights and the parts of my hair that are darker got a bit of a subtle darker reddish tint. And it only was in my hair ten minutes!!!! I think if I would leave this in over night I wuold turn really noticable redred!!! My friends asked me if I colored my hair, but said it looks so natural and effortless. It is subtle but definitly noticable, enhances your hair with reddish tones, but doesn't lay over your natural color. I really loved the results and bought it straight away after trying it at the salon (they said the conditioner is enough, the shampoo doesn't really deposit color). Just watch out that when you use it, you put in the conditioner evenly all over your hair, maybe comb through, becuase if you don't it will come out a bit streaky. This is what happened to me after the first time I used it myself at home. The ONLY small downside is that, as a conditioner itself which it also claims to be, it does an average job, there are better conditioners out there, its more for depostiting color effects. Also it is quite pricey. Nevertheless I would buy it again because the effect is great and exactly what i wanted, not too strong, not too subtle.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2010 8:44:00 PM More reviews by RedAsh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just purchased this and have only used it twice, but so far I love it! My old color-depositing shampoo has been discontinued and I have been searching for something that adds a little oompf to my color. I have naturally auburn hair, and the color from this conditioner seems to match perfectly (not too red, not too orange, but a nice deep auburn red).

I will update this as I continue to use it. Yes it slightly discolors your hands, but nothing that soap doesn't take right off. Some reviews have suggested wearing gloves which I don't think is necessary. Since you leave the conditioner (or shampoo, whichever you purchase) in for 5 minutes, I just soap up while I'm waiting and the color comes right off my hands. Also, it does add red to your scalp slightly, but it's not horribly noticeable.

I love this conditioner and I will continue to purchase it! I am happy I have finally found a color depositing shampoo that can replace my discontinued shampoo!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2010 4:37:00 PM More reviews by AMCW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use this conditioner alongside the Madder Root shampoo and have had great results on my processed hair.

(So much so that where my hair is porous in places the colour is super vibrant)

The smell is lovely - neither artificial or overwhelming - and I really like the thick consistency; a little goes a long way.

When you put it in your hair your hands are left a little stained but I wash my hair in the shower and find that the stain has gone by the time I've washed my body. (That said I'd recommend being careful to rinse any product that lands on white tiles - I reckon it could stain).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2009 2:33:00 PM More reviews by JClarke

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use this to complement the Madder Root shampoo. It's quite strong stuff and very effective. Puts colour back into my naturally red but fading hair. Delicious smell like almonds.

You have to be careful with this else you can stain your hands or bathroom fittings, clothes or whatever. It is a very bright red out of the tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2009 10:01:00 PM More reviews by countrygirl123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this product for my natural red hair and it made my hair soft and enhanced my hair color.