Aveda Madder Root Conditioner

4.2

Ingredients: Aqueous Purified Water Extracts: Rubia Tinctorum Extract, Clover Extract, Henna Extract, Sweet Almond Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Extract (Organically Grown), Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate (Palm), Stearyl Alcohol (Mixed Plant), Dimethicone Copolyol (Silica), Glycerin (Coconut), Behenamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate (Rapeseed), Distearyldimonium Chloride (Coconut), Babassu Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol (Rice Bran), Stearyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolzed Wheat Protein, Glyceryl Stearate (Coconut), Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride (Guar Beans), Dicapryl Ether (Coconut), Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut), Cetrimonium Chloride (Mixed Plant), Cyclomethicone (Silica), Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose (Cellulose), Sodium Citrate (Molasses), Citric Acid (Molasses), Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea, Annatto (Colorant), Basic Brown 16 (Colorant), Basic Red 76 (Colorant)

on 5/6/2012 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This conditioner really does add red color. Instructions say to leave on 2 to 5 minutes, or longer if desired. After towel drying my shampooed hair, I comb the conditioner through, put on a plastic cap, and leave on 6 minutes. It really revitalizes my color! If any color comes off on hands or towels, it easily washes off. So far, it doesn't irritate my scalp as other Aveda shampoos and conditioners have done.

I find the conditioner very moisturizing, so I use a light conditioning shampoo.

on 1/31/2012 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have dyed or henna'd my hair for years and the roots get ever greyer, however, this conditioner definitely deposits enough colour to make a big difference in the last week or two before a re-dye. I wouldn't say it would make hair that is not red look red, but it definitely brightens red hair and blurs the root line. Expensive but lasts ages, I alternate with a more moisturising conditioner.

on 1/29/2012 12:27:00 PM

This is seriously good stuff. I have very dry hair and often need the most intense conditioning product of any haircare line, and this does the job for me. I've been using this for about 6-7 years now in conjunction with the madder root shampoo and the two together are quite amazing. The madder root naturally tints my hair giving it a nice depth of color. My hair is actually not red, it's black and obviously this does not turn me into a red head, but it gives it a nice depth of color in the sunlight that I really like. I've tried the clove and black malva but ironically the madder root works the best!

on 10/2/2011 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I'm natural blond, with a slight red sheen to my hair, but I usually colour it a chestnutty dark red, and as it's a red colour it disapperas quickly. I bought this conditioner because I wanted something to keep the colour vibrand a little longer.

The product comes out a really strong red colour, and the herbaly scent is also quite strong. I take a good blob (my hair just reaches the shoulders, is dry and frizzy, and also slightly damaged from ironing) and put it all over my hair (just shampoed, still wet), from root to ends, massage it in really well so I'm sure its even. I comb throught with my fingers and leave it in for a few minutes while I shower and shave. I rinse it out really well, and RINSE THE SHOWER AND SHOWERCURTAIN!!!! If you don't it will stain!

It is a really good product, it leaves a lot of colour, and it is nice and moisturizing. It does not irritate my sensitive scalp, does not stain my scalp or skin around my hairline either. I would recomend this do anyone that wants help to keep the red in their hair vibrant.

on 9/24/2011 10:25:00 AM

My only complaint about this conditioner is that it comes in a MUCH smaller size than the shampoo, so i feel like I am always in need of another bottle. It leaves my hair feeling clean and untangled, and DEFINITELY deposits some color- I used an alcohol based face cleansing pad after showering once, and it pulled some pinkish pigment off my face. This has a nice scent and overall I am very happy with the product.

on 7/26/2011 9:37:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Here's my beef with this product: the packing. I hate packing like this, in tubes, where so much of the product gets wasted inside the container.

That said, I LOVE this conditioner. It leaves such a nice, smooth, weightless texture to the hair. It rinses out clean and smells delicious. It is extremely pigmented, leaving a bright cool red to the hair -- this is a cool tone red, not an orangey warm red. Will definitely brighten cool toned reds. On coppery hair like mine, this causes a very noticeable difference in colour.

Of note, this conditioner stained my bare nails with a light pink colour the one time I did not wash it off my hands quickly or well enough. I do love this product, it is wonderful and makes my hair feel so delicious. Will not repurchase because this gives an almost purple cast to hair. It would work better for women who dye their hair with blue-based reds, but for copper redheads and strawberry blondes, it's a poor colour match.

on 5/27/2011 10:13:00 AM

This color depositing conditioner is amazing. It smells really good, and puts much needed moisture back into my hair without weighing it down. It definitely brightens and intensifies the color, and I will repurchase (on Amazon!) until I find something even better.

on 4/21/2011 5:43:00 PM

My hair is naturally medium brown in color with reddish highlights, and it occasionally will get coppery/golden highlights if I spend time in the sun (which I hardly ever do anymore). It's starting to gray, so I use body art quality henna on it about every 6-8 weeks to liven the color. I purchased this conditioner hoping it would add to my coppery tint so I wouldn't have to henna it so often. It leaves my hair shiny and you can really see the coppery color on my hair from the henna when the sunlight hits my hair. Usually I leave it on for about 10 minutes in the shower, then shampoo my hair since my hair is fine and I cannot take using conditioner from roots to tips since my hair gets weighed down. But it works just fine this way, my hair is conditioned very well, shiny & soft, even with shampooing afterwards. I would say if you are a brunette with reddish highlights & your hair is not chemically treated, do not be afraid of this conditioner, the effect is very subtle & pretty. It mostly just enhances whatever red you already have.

on 3/27/2011 12:36:00 PM

So I'm a natural brunette and don't have any colored bits in my hair. some golden highlights from the sun this is it. I just wanted to enhance my hair color a bit, so it doesn't look so boring, but I really never want to color it. I read all the great reviews here about this conditioner and so I went to the Aveda Salon to try it out. I hesitated, because of the price to buy it straigth away, but at the salon they washed my hair with the shampoo and conditioner for free to try it out. The stylist there said she never tried it out on someone with uncolored and brunette hair, so we were both excited about the results. They let the conditioner sit for about 10 minutes. The results were FANTASTIC!!!!! This was actually exactly the result of "coloring" that i hoped to achieve!!!! I love being able to keep my natural, individual haircolor and just adding a bit of an exciting reddish tone to it!! It is subtle, so my actual haircolor remains unchanged, just the normal blonde hightlight from the sun have turned into subtle light red hightlights and the parts of my hair that are darker got a bit of a subtle darker reddish tint. And it only was in my hair ten minutes!!!! I think if I would leave this in over night I wuold turn really noticable redred!!! My friends asked me if I colored my hair, but said it looks so natural and effortless. It is subtle but definitly noticable, enhances your hair with reddish tones, but doesn't lay over your natural color. I really loved the results and bought it straight away after trying it at the salon (they said the conditioner is enough, the shampoo doesn't really deposit color). Just watch out that when you use it, you put in the conditioner evenly all over your hair, maybe comb through, becuase if you don't it will come out a bit streaky. This is what happened to me after the first time I used it myself at home. The ONLY small downside is that, as a conditioner itself which it also claims to be, it does an average job, there are better conditioners out there, its more for depostiting color effects. Also it is quite pricey. Nevertheless I would buy it again because the effect is great and exactly what i wanted, not too strong, not too subtle.

on 9/4/2010 8:44:00 PM

I just purchased this and have only used it twice, but so far I love it! My old color-depositing shampoo has been discontinued and I have been searching for something that adds a little oompf to my color. I have naturally auburn hair, and the color from this conditioner seems to match perfectly (not too red, not too orange, but a nice deep auburn red).

I will update this as I continue to use it. Yes it slightly discolors your hands, but nothing that soap doesn't take right off. Some reviews have suggested wearing gloves which I don't think is necessary. Since you leave the conditioner (or shampoo, whichever you purchase) in for 5 minutes, I just soap up while I'm waiting and the color comes right off my hands. Also, it does add red to your scalp slightly, but it's not horribly noticeable.

I love this conditioner and I will continue to purchase it! I am happy I have finally found a color depositing shampoo that can replace my discontinued shampoo!

Top Rated Aveda Products